AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   The *Official* Emotiva RMC-1 owners thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3027748-official-emotiva-rmc-1-owners-thread.html)

pennynike1 11-21-2018 02:27 PM

The *Official* Emotiva RMC-1 owners thread

Creating an official thread for the long-awaited and highly anticipated Emotiva RMC-1, the first home theater processor below $10,000 to allow 9.1.6 for Dolby Atmos!

The RMC-1 officially went live for sale on Emotiva's website at 12:00 midnight (CST) on 11/15 and sold out of their limited stock within 6-7 hours. Got my order submitted at 12:02 am. I received confirmation of shipment on Wednesday, 11/21.

Emotiva opened up their site for additional preorders on November 20th, with anticipated shipment dates for additional inventory at the end of December 2018 or early January 2019.

Congrats in advance to all the new RMC - 1 owners!

stef2 11-21-2018 09:57 PM

Geronimo.USMC 11-25-2018 12:24 AM

The "Official" Emotiva RMC-1 Owners Thread

I'm picking mine up tomorrow from UPS. I'll upload some pix.

*Some interesting info from the Emotiva forums;

• From jnelson2000: "Dan emailed me direct this morning and let me relay what he conveyed. Adapters (XLR to RCA) are being fabricated and he expects them to be available after the new year as a courtesy. Meaning you will have to request them and will not be shipped as standard. Second, Dan also mentioned Dirac 2.0 will be available in the near future."
  • No Dirac out the box, but REW filters supported right now
  • Initial/cold boot, and startup up takes about 2 minutes. Future firmware should optimize this.
  • With "power on always" start up is now NOT an issue
  • Settings can be backed up via USB

Geronimo.USMC 11-26-2018 10:00 AM

Didn't realize there was a thread already when I posted my "Official" thread. Thanks for merging. I will have to format my post again later. I just picked mine up. Will put up pix soon.

Geronimo.USMC 11-26-2018 07:36 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Plenty of pix.

pennynike1 11-26-2018 07:59 PM

Thanks for posting the pics @Geronimo.USMC .

I have been waiting so long to have 9.1.6 capability on a processor at this price point, and it is really exciting to see this launch!!

The "potential" for 11.5.8 with the expansion slots, combined with Dirac room correction makes this RMC-1 that much more enticing!!!

Geronimo.USMC 11-27-2018 12:05 AM

29 Attachment(s)
My impressions so far:

So, I found some bugs. A factory Reset, and an HDMI cable swap (It worked perfectly fine on my AV8802A from my Panasonic 820) on my 4K player fixed all, except one of them. See my PC specs in my signature, because with my PC hooked up to it via HDMI, I get intermittent sound, and it won't lock on to the Multi-channel PCM coming directly from my 1080Ti graphics card. It will show video perfectly, but sound is super buggy....Calling Emotiva tech support about it in the morning. I bitstream from my optical players, and that works.

I love the fantastic front display on it, but the OSD Menu and GUI is super minimalist, and old-school. Quite jarring, as I've had "pretty" GUI and OSD from high end processors, and receivers, but it gets the job done. HDMI switching is slow, but not that bad. Sometimes there is a delay from the remote presses, and commands.

It is very light. About 25lbs. I was surprised about that when I picked it up.

A handy feature I used, was saving all my settings, input renaming, speaker distances, levels, etc, before I factory restored it. That worked like a charm.

I set up my distances, and levels. No impression on the sound yet!..........I just got this thing, plus DIRAC 2.0 is not out yet, and I have no UMIK-1 mic for REW. I'm looking for a used Cross Spectrum Labs version, if someone wants to lend or sell me one........[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

mtbdudex 11-27-2018 06:29 AM

Looks like another 5 shipped yesterday
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...49e9358155.jpg

I’m a Denon 8500H owner since February 2nd 2018, been eyeing this to go beyond 9.2.4 / 7.2.6, so will be reading here and posting Q’s once Dirac 2.0 is released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RetiredandLovingIt 11-29-2018 06:51 AM

No owners out there yet that wish to comment?

Geronimo.USMC 11-29-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredandLovingIt (Post 57184888)
No owners out there yet that wish to comment?

I have.....

madhuski 11-29-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC (Post 57185980)
I have.....

how stable has it been so far? Any need to power cycle popppong up?

Geronimo.USMC 11-29-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhuski (Post 57186050)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC (Post 57185980)
I have.....

how stable has it been so far? Any need to power cycle popppong up?

Yes, it's a little buggy, but bearable. A new firmware is slated for 1-2 days from now. My impressions so far are a couple posts up.

JonasHansen 11-30-2018 03:26 AM

Looking forward to the firmware upgrade. And especially a "review" on how it sounds. I am very interested in this processor for my theater but I am afraid of the Emotiva software bugs.

Archaea 11-30-2018 06:02 AM

Post 271 documents @deewan ’s honest first few days of user experience. Summarily he noted buggy user interface, but great sound — seems a rushed, unfinished release.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57187326

Jerry Bruckheimer Fan 11-30-2018 11:21 PM

I was wondering if anyone can comment on the XLR voltage output, in terms of pairing it with amplifiers and their respective input sensitivities.

santodx5 12-01-2018 12:32 AM

I would love to know comparison vs 8805 as I want to buy new processor soon.

Thanks

santodx5 12-01-2018 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geronimo.USMC (Post 57171134)
My impressions so far:

So, I found some bugs. A factory Reset, and an HDMI cable swap (It worked perfectly fine on my AV8802A from my Panasonic 820) on my 4K player fixed all, except one of them. See my PC specs in my signature, because with my PC hooked up to it via HDMI, I get intermittent sound, and it won't lock on to the Multi-channel PCM coming directly from my 1080Ti graphics card. It will show video perfectly, but sound is super buggy....Calling Emotiva tech support about it in the morning. I bitstream from my optical players, and that works.

I love the fantastic front display on it, but the OSD Menu and GUI is super minimalist, and old-school. Quite jarring, as I've had "pretty" GUI and OSD from high end processors, and receivers, but it gets the job done. HDMI switching is slow, but not that bad. Sometimes there is a delay from the remote presses, and commands.

It is very light. About 25lbs. I was surprised about that when I picked it up.

A handy feature I used, was saving all my settings, input renaming, speaker distances, levels, etc, before I factory restored it. That worked like a charm.

I set up my distances, and levels. No impression on the sound yet!..........I just got this thing, plus DIRAC 2.0 is not out yet, and I have no UMIK-1 mic for REW. I'm looking for a used Cross Spectrum Labs version, if someone wants to lend or sell me one........[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Halo can you do a comparison review vs 8802A? I have 8802A and now thinking to get 8805 until I read about RMC-1.

Thanks

mmiles 12-01-2018 04:36 AM

It sounds like the RMC-1 escaped rather than released.

Th601 12-01-2018 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santodx5 (Post 57196412)

Thanks

Me too, I’m interested that as well

petew 12-01-2018 10:34 AM

Earlier post said the unit was light. Dan mentioned "no 60 Hz inside the box". Must be a switch mode power supply.

Geronimo.USMC 12-01-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santodx5 (Post 57196412)

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by santodx5 (Post 57196564)
Halo can you do a comparison review vs 8802A? I have 8802A and now thinking to get 8805 until I read about RMC-1.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Th601 (Post 57196842)
Me too, I’m interested that as well

Hi, guys. My AV8802A was sold the day before I received it. It sounds really good though. One user in the Emotiva Forums says that its sound quality is better than his AV8805! I suggest that prospective buyers wait after a few firmware updates, or when Dirac 2.0 is released. Its software needs to mature. The RMC-1 is currently very buggy, with its OSD, and sluggish menus, but I'm a tinkerer, and besides the buggy interface, sounds clean. I just ordered a Cross-Spectrum Acoustics calibrated UMIK-1 and will play with REW and the system in my signature below.

Roger Dressler 12-01-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petew (Post 57198344)
Dan mentioned "no 60 Hz inside the box". Must be a switch mode power supply.

Even with a switch mode supply, there's 60 Hz in the box from the power cord. ;)

pennynike1 12-01-2018 06:34 PM

How does the power supply compare to the Marantz 8805?

I have researched the 2 different power supplies a bit. Seems linear is old school.

I believe the marantz uses a linear power supply, which is less efficient and heavier, but that a linear supply also offers benefits regarding high frequency noise.

Anyone who can provide further insight would be appreciated.

BassThatHz 12-02-2018 12:56 PM

In both cases, the power supplies convert the 60hz AC into DC.
For amplifiers it would be 120VAC to 200-400VDC, and for pre's it would be 120VAC to 5-12VDC.

Most switch mode supplies operate around 200khz square waves, where as the older Emo's like the UMC-1 and Marantz and Rotel and Classe and McIntosh are toroidal 60hz, or even older still: E-Core 60hz.

In both cases this is then filtered with noise chokes, rectifiers and boost/buck capacitors for smoothing the DC.
This then feeds the screen, the DAC's, the XLR op-amps, the HDMI board, wifi/usb/cat5 board, radio board, the whatever board, and the DSP chip (or in the case of Trinnov an intel i7 CPU/motherboard/ram).

In the case of a transformer the audio ground could be the center-tap, for switch-mode it would have no choice but to use the power cord house ground, which is less clean because it's shared with your microwave, and all the microwaves on your street and everything else. Including yard lightning strikes, worse yet, no device shall filter the ground line as that violates every UL/MIL/ETL/CSA/IEEE electronics-code and building-code ever made!

I own an XSP-1, an Oppo 105(Sabre DAC), a 7705(AKM) and a Motu (Sabre DAC).
The XSP-1, 105, and Motu use a SMPS, and the 7705 uses a toroidal.
The XSP-1, 105 and Motu all sound the same to me, and the 7705 is about 97% as good IMO, but only in pure-mode. I haven't had a chance to use Atmos mode on my 108db/w/m tweeters yet (next weekend I will though), I'd expect the SQ to drop because all DAC's are more noisy in all-channels mode + all the other circuitry, and my mains are very sensitive. (I don't use audyssey or dirac, and likely never will...)

The XSP-1 is 100% Class-A analog. Comparable noise floor to the XMC-1 in 2-ch pure-mode.
Not sure what the AKM or Sabre DAC's operate as...
The Sabre DAC's have vanishingly low noise, as you probably already know...

It would explain why the new Emotiva's are lighter, they don't have a large block of copper in them...
Theoretically all DC should be made equal, i.e. clean. Anything less than perfection would be a horrendous mistake by the designer at this level of audio...

BassThatHz 12-02-2018 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's hard to see and so it's not super clear, but it appears the audio/video ground is coming from within the SMPS.
Don't quote me on any of this stuff. ;)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...mentid=2490554

santodx5 12-03-2018 09:25 PM

Which has better DAC chips? RMC-1 or 8805?

Thanks

antrantr 12-03-2018 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by santodx5 (Post 57213026)

Thanks

8805: AK4490 32 bit
RMC-1: AKM4490Verita

According to google it's the same

Mashie Saldana 12-04-2018 09:13 AM

Can you run the RMC-1 in any other 15ch mode than 9.1.6 such as 11.1.4 or 7.1.8?

bigguyca 12-04-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santodx5 (Post 57213026)

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by antrantr (Post 57213242)
8805: AK4490 32 bit
RMC-1: AKM4490Verita

According to google it's the same

FYI, in AKM's DAC lineup, the AC4493, which has been available for about a year, is the replacement for the AK4490. There is a small performance increase with the new AK4493 as noted in the 2nd link below. No doubt future products will have this new DAC. Here are links to more information:

- Overall high-end ADM lineup:

https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/d...nk_id=link5012

- AK4493 information:

https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/d...artno=AK4493EQ

deewan 12-04-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana (Post 57215340)
Can you run the RMC-1 in any other 15ch mode than 9.1.6 such as 11.1.4 or 7.1.8?

Right now my answer would be no. If you are aware of how the Emotiva processor onscreen menus appear, I'll try to explain why there are limiting factors of speaker setup right now. But also why I think with the future add-on modules and a firmware update the answer should be yes.

*This may not be 100% accurate since I am going by memory. I can try to add pics tonight*
I currently have the RMC configured in a 9.1.6 setup. I have three front speakers, two pairs of side surround speakers, one pair of rear surround and three pairs of overhead. While accessing the Emotiva menus for speaker setup the have a generic label on the screen that coordinates with the labeled XLR outputs. For each output you can turn them on/off, set the speaker size to small/large and physical location (front, middle, rear). The options right now limit you on which outputs can be used for what. For example you cannot go into the Front Left speaker and turn it into a overhead. In the same way you cannot go into a overhead and turn it into a second front left output (at least not from what I remember while setting up my system).

HOWEVER, I believe when the add-on modules are added each of the new channels could be given the same options I listed above of on/off, speaker size, front/middle/rear and also overhead, side or LFE. I still believe the base 5.1 XLR outputs may always be set in stone and not re-assignable, but that is just my guess.

Clear as mud? :)