Marantz SR 7011 vs Nad T758 sound quality - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 12-06-2018, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootster View Post
I noticed that the Marantz you just bought is already been discontinued by the manufacturer. Crutchfield has the upgraded model for the exact same price right now, according to them anyway. Just hope that they don't adopt a new multimedia connection standard anytime soon. I am still not quite sure if it makes much sense to have to shell out that large of a chunk of change to upgrade the card(s) in the T 758 v3. On the other hand, NAD has to make profits, so to lower the price to the point where they are selling these units with not a lot of future profits down the road would be a bad business decision. I am still thinking that the T 777 v3 hits the "Sweet spot" when it comes to a NAD AVR for the reasons I have elaborated on earlier. Having said that, $2,500 clams is a lot of coin to spend on an AVR. Most folks who are beginning to appreciate a good sounding AVR are hitting their limit at that price IMO. Until you experience the added bennies that comes with that unit, you won't even realize what you are missing out on.

The Marantaz replacement for the 7011, the 7012, has a DAC that is going as high as "32-bit/768kHz AKM (Asahi Kasei Microdevices) ultra-premium digital-to-analog converter". That's bleeding edge technology right there. I don't know anything about the company that makes the DAC, but it sounds like a nice device as far as the specs are concerned. I would check into the new model, or at least try to get a discount on the 7011.

Good luck.
Hi Booster, have bought it in India where the Marantz SR 7012 is around 2500 USD. I am not an expert but there were marginal difference between 7011 & 7012 I got the SR 7011 for 1760 usd which is also quite expensive due to the taxes & import duties here. I guess the SR 7013 is out now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkan View Post
Hi Booster, have bought it in India where the Marantz SR 7012 is around 2500 USD. I am not an expert but there were marginal difference between 7011 & 7012 I got the SR 7011 for 1760 usd which is also quite expensive due to the taxes & import duties here. I guess the SR 7013 is out now.
I would find it very suspect for a company to offer three different, yet similar, components in their lineup at the same time. I wonder if technology is so rapid in it's implementation that Marantz keeps trying to be on the cutting edge with small, incremental spec upgrades. If that's the case, the latest AVR thy offer you buy today will be obsolete by the springtime. That would be unsettling for me personally.

I'm sure that the unit you purchased will sound fine, as it looks to me that only the specs concerning new implementations of surround sound that are upgraded on these units. I believe that the amplifiers are staying the same, for the most part. I just find that a legendary audiophile company who is now chasing down minor specs to change model numbers to be a sketchy sales tactic, if that is the case.
post #33 of 43 Old 12-07-2018, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would find it very suspect for a company to offer three different, yet similar, components in their lineup at the same time. I wonder if technology is so rapid in it's implementation that Marantz keeps trying to be on the cutting edge with small, incremental spec upgrades. If that's the case, the latest AVR thy offer you buy today will be obsolete by the springtime. That would be unsettling for me personally.

I'm sure that the unit you purchased will sound fine, as it looks to me that only the specs concerning new implementations of surround sound that are upgraded on these units. I believe that the amplifiers are staying the same, for the most part. I just find that a legendary audiophile company who is now chasing down minor specs to change model numbers to be a sketchy sales tactic, if that is the case.
Hi Bootster,

The unit sounds fine & the setup was a breeze with an extremely friendly user interface. Agree with you that every year a new model comes out with superficial changes primarily updating sound formats or compatibility with phones, movies or Alexa I guess. It does remind me of Autodesk who bring out a new version of Maya & 3DS max softwares yearly with superficial upgrades

I do miss my earlier Marantz SR 8200 for the sound quality & the feel of robustness which I personally feel sounded very sweet & better suited for 2 channel music but for movies SR 7011 without any doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 12-07-2018, 12:00 PM

Or 7013, or 7014 for that matter. Maybe the mainstream companies are putting out these upgrades to emulate software manufacturers. Who wouldn't want to have the kind of coin that Bill Gate$ has?

I have heard through the grapevine that you cannot re assign the front channels with the NAD units. Does that mean that you can't listen to any stereo material without having to be forced to listen to the built in amp with a NAD AVR? I haven't needed to find out, so I don't if that's the case in reality or not. I don't know if Marantz is structured that way or not, but I would like to have all of the flexibility that I can. I'm sure that the front amp capability in the NAD units aren't lacking, but that seems to be forcing us to use their amp(s) without being able to use the preamp outputs alone to set up a totally independent outboard amplifier configuration. That was just something that stuck in my craw if that's the case. Perhaps the Marantz units are assignable to all of the channels. Perhaps it's the same case as with the NAD's?

I'm sure that you will find this unit to be well suited for surround material. The ability, or lack there of, to use the Marantz (or the NAD) for two channel operation using just an outboard amplifier was the reason that I brought up the front amp assign-ability options. Two channel program material may not be able to be configured with the component as a preamp alone? Perhaps someone more familiar with the optional configurations could chime in to inform us as to the truth on the matter.

I have an older Harman Kardon stereo receiver that I can either bypass the amp section to use it as a preamp alone, or I can bypass the preamp and run the unit as an outboard amplifier. The amplifier is a good one in the HK, and it has a formidable preamp section as well, so I knew it would be usable down the road as a dedicated surround channel amplifier, or as a preamp in a garage type scenario where you are just recycling components to be utilized .I bought the HK just as the surround sound craze started, just so I wasn't wasting money on something that I knew would be outdated at some point. The current NAD AVR's won't allow you to use the amplifier sections as outboard amplifiers, like you can in some of the older ones, which I found to be a huge drawback on the side of NAD's marketing strategy IMO. That is a sore subject with me as a consumer of a $1,000 AVR, only to find out that the component cannot be utilized in a cost conscientious way. The height channels don't really have to be matched up to the other amplifiers brand specific, like a front or surround may be. It doesn't sound like the NAD units can do that, based on what I'm told about these strict conditions in regard to the front amp conditions. I'm curious as to the Marantz in that regard. This is almost laying the groundwork for a dedicated surround processor, instead of an AVR that handcuffs you to their amplifier's being used no matter what the conditions are. It also points to the NAD's unique ability to replace the hardware cards if and when necessary to keep up with the Jones' in regard to these technological updates to the hardware connections or software innovations. As I have mentioned earlier, this is an expensive upgrade option, but the benefits are somewhat obvious to the consumer. What would be super nice would be a chip that has extremely flexible firmware upgrade capability, so that the component can be upgraded easily and frequently. The T 777 v3 I have is constantly being updated through the internet as the firmware is released. I have no idea how the Marantz is situated in that regard.

I know this is slightly off topic, however it needs to be addressed somewhere/somehow.
post #35 of 43 Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Bootster,

I have not owned a Nad but in the Marantz you can reassign your front channels in the setup menu which is very user friendly. The receiver also tells you if any particular speakers phase is reversed. In any case when running Audyssey XT 32 it sets it up speakerwise. Maybe Dirac may also do that on the Nad if you run the software again. Nad's modular approach is quite cool. At least you may end up spending less for the upgrade rather than buying a new receiver.
Regarding firmware updates, I got it on my pendrive from the Marantz dealer who advised me to take it from the showroom should the download/updation gets interrupted for some reason. Infact while purchasing the receiver, he gave me the latest firmware. The receiver also alerts me when there is an update.
post #36 of 43 Old 12-08-2018, 10:08 AM

So the Marantz you have is hooked up to the internet through a hardwired internet connection, or is it wi-fi, or capable of both scenarios? I have to physically check the NAD for updates, and thankfully they are rather frequent. To me, that means that the engineers are dutifully at work everyday trying to improve the quality of the products as time progresses. I am impressed with that sort of dedication to the products with any company. Not like the Nvidia updates, just to get some flaky bug that arises in one game that is reported on and fixed. To me, that's just overkill, but with the amount of $$$ they are charging for these video cards, they can afford to offer these game specific updates. It does seem that users are taking more risks than necessary if they update their firmware every time one of these upgrades is available, especially users like myself who don't have any gaming interest. With MAYA, these updates are usually mission critical and not just fluffy updates. My Quadros are like that, just necessasry updates being offered.

That's good to know that the seller gave you the latest firmware update on a thumb drive, as that is going to save a lot of people from wasting a bunch of time if their internet access is flaky or they are not computer savvy. Some people will also confuse updates and risk trying to force something that is not device specific onto their component. That can spell trouble for the device.

I still don't know if you can turn the NAD's into just pre-amps, as I am still not sure of the front assign-ability issue. My issue wasn't that you can't "re-assign" the front amplifier, it just means that if you try to take all of the amplifiers out of the loop, you cannot get rid of the fronts, which means that you aren't able to have total control over the pre-amp section of the component. It's just nice to know little subtleties about your products, especially when they are $$$.

Thanks for the reply. Again, good luck with your setup.
post #37 of 43 Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So the Marantz you have is hooked up to the internet through a hardwired internet connection, or is it wi-fi, or capable of both scenarios? I have to physically check the NAD for updates, and thankfully they are rather frequent. To me, that means that the engineers are dutifully at work everyday trying to improve the quality of the products as time progresses. I am impressed with that sort of dedication to the products with any company. Not like the Nvidia updates, just to get some flaky bug that arises in one game that is reported on and fixed. To me, that's just overkill, but with the amount of $$$ they are charging for these video cards, they can afford to offer these game specific updates. It does seem that users are taking more risks than necessary if they update their firmware every time one of these upgrades is available, especially users like myself who don't have any gaming interest. With MAYA, these updates are usually mission critical and not just fluffy updates. My Quadros are like that, just necessasry updates being offered.

That's good to know that the seller gave you the latest firmware update on a thumb drive, as that is going to save a lot of people from wasting a bunch of time if their internet access is flaky or they are not computer savvy. Some people will also confuse updates and risk trying to force something that is not device specific onto their component. That can spell trouble for the device.

I still don't know if you can turn the NAD's into just pre-amps, as I am still not sure of the front assign-ability issue. My issue wasn't that you can't "re-assign" the front amplifier, it just means that if you try to take all of the amplifiers out of the loop, you cannot get rid of the fronts, which means that you aren't able to have total control over the pre-amp section of the component. It's just nice to know little subtleties about your products, especially when they are $$$.

Thanks for the reply. Again, good luck with your setup.
Most welcome Bootster & thanks for your wishes too. My Marantz is not Hardwired & is on wifi. If there is an update available & if the router is on then it prompts me. Whenever it would prompt me in the future then its time to pay a visit to the dealer with my thumb drive According to him there have been instances where the Receiver has hung if the net connection is not good while updating besides updating from the thumb drive is much faster. The advantage for me is that the Marantz dealer is just 10 mins drive from my place.

Regarding turning the Nad into a preamp & resolving the front speaker assignment an option would be to directly email Nad for advice & I am sure they would get back to you on that. I have emailed SVS when I had some queries & their response was exemplary. Where as Maya is concerned I miss those days when it was called Alias under Silicon graphics. After Autodesk has taken over a lot of things have changed.
post #38 of 43 Old 12-08-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Most welcome Bootster & thanks for your wishes too. My Marantz is not Hardwired & is on wifi. If there is an update available & if the router is on then it prompts me. Whenever it would prompt me in the future then its time to pay a visit to the dealer with my thumb drive According to him there have been instances where the Receiver has hung if the net connection is not good while updating besides updating from the thumb drive is much faster. The advantage for me is that the Marantz dealer is just 10 mins drive from my place.

Regarding turning the Nad into a preamp & resolving the front speaker assignment an option would be to directly email Nad for advice & I am sure they would get back to you on that. I have emailed SVS when I had some queries & their response was exemplary. Where as Maya is concerned I miss those days when it was called Alias under Silicon graphics. After Autodesk has taken over a lot of things have changed.
I had received a file in my email that turned out to be an older firmware than the one I had installed already about two weeks ago from a NAD tech. I found the one that was new on their website after the firmware in my email had asked me if I wished to install an older one than what I had already installed. After a search, I found the newer one. I had installed some brand new ELAC Debut speakers, fronts, center and subwoofer, on my T 758, and the sound was horrible. I couldn't get the speakers to work worth a darn by using the software menu in the OSD (on screen display). My version of the T 758 has the On Screen Display, not like the v3. After the firmware update however, it was good to go. Go figure.

Last edited by bootster; 12-08-2018 at 03:07 PM.
post #39 of 43 Old 12-08-2018, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I had received a file in my email that turned out to be an older firmware than the one I had installed already about two weeks ago from a NAD tech. I found the one that was new on their website after the firmware in my email had asked me if I wished to install an older one than what I had already installed. After a search, I found the newer one. I had installed some brand new ELAC Debut speakers, fronts, center and subwoofer, on my T 758, and the sound was horrible. I couldn't get the speakers to work worth a darn by using the software menu in the OSD (on screen display). My version of the T 758 has the On Screen Display, not like the v3. After the firmware update however, it was good to go. Go figure.
Most of the new receivers onscreen display also comes on the television which makes life easy rather than straining at small display on the receiver . Anyways Bootster, am glad that your firmware worked finally. Thanks once again to everyone on this thread for your valuable inputs.
post #40 of 43 Old 12-09-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Most of the new receivers onscreen display also comes on the television which makes life easy rather than straining at small display on the receiver . Anyways Bootster, am glad that your firmware worked finally. Thanks once again to everyone on this thread for your valuable inputs.
To finish up here nitkan, I mentioned the on screen display because it has disappeared from the NAD v3's. Both the T 777 v3 and the T 758 v3 are now equipped with something other than the older "OSD". The on screen displays that were part of the functionality of the NAD AVR's since the beginning has gone to a format where you have to leave the programming material (i.e. a television broadcast screen or movie) to navigate through the menu. My T 752 from 2003 has the OSD as well. This means that you aren't able to adjust the parameters of the component "On The Fly". You can no longer just change a function, and see what the new change does instantaneously, you now have to go back into the programming material to see what the changes have done to your components' parameters each time you change any of the configurations. That is not the case with the original version of the T 758 that I own. My T 758 is equipped with a traditional AM/FM radio receiver function that has been done away with on the v3 of the T 758 as well.

I only mentioned that as a comparison to the Marantz. I don't know if the Marantz has the OSD, or the changed NAD implementation where you have to leave the screen to make adjustments to your device. The NAD's remote on the T 777 v3 allows you to adjust the Surround, center, and subwoofer levels directly from the remote control now, that wasn't the case with the older units. I don't know about the T 758 v3, as I don't have one of those.

You don't need to respond to this post, unless you have something to add that compares the two units with something that potential purchasers would want to know about. Aside from the sound qualities of these units, I just wanted to add some functionality differences between some of the newer NAD units. These typical comparison posts on this forum usually fail to go into detail about the particular pluses/minuses that a potential buyer would like to know about before making a command decision, and ending up with a device that has something they can't live with. For myself, I am dissapointed in the lack of the T 777 v3's On Screen Display, but not enough that it would have influenced my decision to purchase the component based on all of the other features that I like about the device.

Take care and enjoy your new Marantz.
post #41 of 43 Old 07-20-2019, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I listen to 2 channel music in "Analog bypass" on my NAD.
Ditto
post #42 of 43 Old 07-20-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Hi,

I do agree that speakers & room acoustics do play an important role in influencing sound. But all external factors remaining same how does the Marantz SR 7011 compare with the NAD T758 only pertaining to sound quality ignoring all the unnecessary bells & whistles. Marantz has audyssey XT 32 which is not as good as Dirac on the NAD for room correction as per user forums. Sound preference for music & movies would be 50:50. I prefer good smooth midrange. Thanks.
The NAD runs circles around the Marantz its not even a fair fight

Living Room: Marantz SR7012 - KEF LS50 - SVS SB16 Ultra - HECO On wall - LG C8
HT: Epson 6050UB - 120 inch Elite Screen - ARCAM AVR20 - Klipsch RC-64 III - DIY Towers with KEF LS50 UniQ drivers and SB Acoustics Satori 9,5' - SVS PC13 Ultra - SVS Prime Elevation - ELAC WS1445
post #43 of 43 Old 07-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
if you switch both to (pure) direct mode, you will not hear any differences (assumed it's a fair blind test).
NAD has never been anything special and is not today, same as Marantz.

as you mentioned yourself, the main difference is the room correction Audyssey vs. Dirac and Dirac.
though the plain room correction of Dirac is better than Audyssey XT32, Audyssey comes with some more functions wich are not available in Dirac.
Especially these are DynamicEQ and DynamicVolume and DynEQ is a must have if you don't listen with reference level all the time.
I think that the NAD sounds better in when both are in Direct mode without EQ

But with EQ on the Marantz doesn't even come close

Living Room: Marantz SR7012 - KEF LS50 - SVS SB16 Ultra - HECO On wall - LG C8
HT: Epson 6050UB - 120 inch Elite Screen - ARCAM AVR20 - Klipsch RC-64 III - DIY Towers with KEF LS50 UniQ drivers and SB Acoustics Satori 9,5' - SVS PC13 Ultra - SVS Prime Elevation - ELAC WS1445
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page