Pairing Yamaha A-S501SL with AVR 4200 for Front Channels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-09-2018, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pairing Yamaha A-S501SL with AVR 4200 for Front Channels

As the title suggests, I am looking to add an amplifier on top of my Denon AVR 4200 to get a better sound out of my JBL Studio 590 Tower Speakers currently standing tall as my front two channels. I have the matching center channel and ES80s as my rear speakers paired with Two PL200 subwoofers.

I am trying to understand whether the Yamaha A-S501SL would be a good addition to the setup to provide dedicated power to the front two speakers. Its currently selling at a decent price on Amazon and I am wondering if I should pull the trigger to enhance my soundstage.

Appreciate any advice.

Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-09-2018, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Kamekazi, welcome.

My question is what is driving you to think that greater power is going to improve your sound from those fine, sensitive JBL speakers?

Do you live in an auditorium, or enjoy ear-bleeding listening volumes? Of course, I am kidding--somewhat.

So, what benefit do you expect to derive?

Jim
St. Louis, MO area
AVRs: Denon AVR-X4400H, Onkyo TX-NR1030, Denon AVR-X3400H, Onkyo TX-NR646
Speakers: BIC America LH6-LCR and FH-65B, Polk RTi6, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
post #3 of 5 Old 12-09-2018, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb0007 View Post
Kamekazi, welcome.

My question is what is driving you to think that greater power is going to improve your sound from those fine, sensitive JBL speakers?

Do you live in an auditorium, or enjoy ear-bleeding listening volumes? Of course, I am kidding--somewhat.

So, what benefit do you expect to derive?
Very good question. I ll make an attempt to translate that thing that I think I am missing into words.

I have a fairly large living room, which over time has gotten very cluttered. Sadly, this is also the room where I have my projection screen and home theatre set up. When I got these speakers, I was using them stereo and the room was less cluttered. Over time, I have added a few pieces to make it 5.2 however I think the soundstage has become less impressive. The overall domination that the Front speakers provided over my general audible experience has downgraded and I don't want to believe that my ears have gotten used to the sound or similar gibberish. I tried resetting the sound calibration as well as tried adusting the direction/elevation of the speakers however to no avail. At some point, a fellow audiophile friend recommended that I should consider separately amping my front speakers so there is no compromise to the power given by the amp to the related channels. While I am not deep into the technicals of speaker science but I do trust my ears and I know I am not satisfied currently.

I also am not ready to replace my entire system to upgrade the experience altho I do wish I could adored some B&W goodies which I love albeit out of my budget as on date.

Not sure if this conveys the predicament but if you have slightly more close-ended questions, perhaps we might discover something I haven't been able to diagnose thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What AVR are you using? What type of sound calibration? Sub/s?

I ask because I have had and also currently have a large cubic foot listening area. Have had more expensive and "better" gear (receiver and speakers) than I have now, but I am sooooo happy with the sound--especially with the calibration by my Denon X3400H ("only" 105 watts/channel), and its MultXT 32 calibration of multiple positions and both subs).

I also was advised by a number of people who really were more informed than I am to use an amp for my "power-hungry" Polk RTi 12 fronts--because the 140 watt Yamaha receiver was "insufficient". So, I did. The venerable Yamaha M60. And I had an Outlaw sub that went down to about 16Hz.

What I am saying is that I have gone back to my own counsel. 105 watts is ample (5.2.2), no amplifier, and 2 Polk PSW505 subs that get little respect, except from the people who actually own them.

Of course, I am 72, so my ability to hear above about 12Khz is nil . . .

Jim
St. Louis, MO area
AVRs: Denon AVR-X4400H, Onkyo TX-NR1030, Denon AVR-X3400H, Onkyo TX-NR646
Speakers: BIC America LH6-LCR and FH-65B, Polk RTi6, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
post #5 of 5 Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 208
The Yamaha doesn't look like it has multi-channel ins, so you are not going to be able to use it to power your LCR. A simple but powerful Audio Source 100 is plenty. https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-.../dp/B00ZSEFU94

As @jwb0007 said, those JBL's are pretty efficient and if you are not running all 9 channel simultaneously on the x4200, it should push those to ear bleeding levels.

Maybe instead of more power cap't, you could look into getting/improving your room treatment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , Denon , Jbl , studio 590 , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page