Amplifier Reco for Monitor Audio 5.1.4 Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mickey Mouse
  • 1 Post By Mickey Mouse

post #1 of 4 Old 12-25-2018, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Amplifier Reco for Monitor Audio 5.1.4 Setup

My media room 23x14x9 is currently setup for 5.1.4 Monitor Audio RX8, RX Center, RX1 & ceiling mounted CT265 x4 with sub-woofer HSU VTF2-MK4, all powered with Pioneer Elite SC-99. I feel like I am not getting enough power, fidelity for audio output. Below are the specs for my speakers setup, Do I have enough power to drive all these, does adding an amplifier does make a difference, I am thinking of Emotiva XPA-9 or 11. Is there any calculator that can me determine the power requirements or anything that analyze my setup better. Appreciate any insights that can help my setup sound better.

Speakers Specs -

2x RX8 - 4 Ohms - 175W RMS
2x RX1 - 6 Ohms - 80W RMS
1x RXCenter - 6 Ohms - 125W RMS

4x CT265 - 6 Ohms - 75W RMS
VTF2-MK4 - 250W RMS

Cheers!
BVR

Media Room (5.1.4) - Monitor Audio RX8 | RX-Center | RX1 | CT 265 | HSU VTF-2 MK4 powered by Pioneer Elite SC-99; OPPO UDP-203; JVC DLA-RS420 & Elite Screens Aeon CineGrey 3D Series, 135-inch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-26-2018, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 169
first question: why/how do you think you're not getting enough power?

there is no easy calculator as far as I know, but you can do some math:
the RX8 are specified with 90dB (1W/1m), that means with 1W they produce a SPL of 90dB in a distance of 1m (3.3ft). In free air the SPL is reduced by -6dB if you double the distance. In a closed room it's less, maybe -4 or -5dB. So in a distance of 7ft you still reach 85dB with ONE SINGLE WATT!

and to get an impression about how loud 85dB are: continuous impact of 85dB will produce permanent damage to health! That's why by European law ear protections have to be used if your working area is louder as 85dB.

I used a 2x60W amp for a long time and for typical sound levels (up to cinema/disco level) that's by far enough and a dedicated power amp able to deliver about 2x300W sounds exactly the same up to the point the "small" starts clipping or runs into protection.

I really don't understand why people believe they don't have enough power...
ebvr likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-26-2018, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
first question: why/how do you think you're not getting enough power?

there is no easy calculator as far as I know, but you can do some math:
the RX8 are specified with 90dB (1W/1m), that means with 1W they produce a SPL of 90dB in a distance of 1m (3.3ft). In free air the SPL is reduced by -6dB if you double the distance. In a closed room it's less, maybe -4 or -5dB. So in a distance of 7ft you still reach 85dB with ONE SINGLE WATT!

and to get an impression about how loud 85dB are: continuous impact of 85dB will produce permanent damage to health! That's why by European law ear protections have to be used if your working area is louder as 85dB.

I used a 2x60W amp for a long time and for typical sound levels (up to cinema/disco level) that's by far enough and a dedicated power amp able to deliver about 2x300W sounds exactly the same up to the point the "small" starts clipping or runs into protection.

I really don't understand why people believe they don't have enough power...
Thank you Mickey Mouse! I use this mainly with Fire TV streaming media and as I watch movies, folks say the audio isn't that effective and ask for more volume. I typically keep it around -25db and I am afraid I don't want it to drive too hard. We sit around 12 ft from the fronts, typically center of the room. I have tried may options but typically Extended Stereo option of SC-99 is what I use most times. Given that my setup is relatively new, wonder if there any reference material for Dolby Atmos that I can play and see if I really get effective output for my 5.1.4 setup. I believe I do have good interconnects from Blue Jeans Cable though!

Media Room (5.1.4) - Monitor Audio RX8 | RX-Center | RX1 | CT 265 | HSU VTF-2 MK4 powered by Pioneer Elite SC-99; OPPO UDP-203; JVC DLA-RS420 & Elite Screens Aeon CineGrey 3D Series, 135-inch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-27-2018, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 169
your Pioneer is specified with 850W output power. Equally spread to 9 channels this means nearly 100W/ch.
let's assume this power is delivered at 0dB volume level and do the math:
-25dB means factor 0.003!!!
with other words you are listening with 0.3W (zero point three watt!) per channel MAX!
-15dB would be 3W, -5dB 30W and 0dB 100W (each max, average is even much lower)
ebvr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
hsu , Monitor Audio , Pioneer Elite

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page