Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help suggest new receiver ??

Hi everyone

After some 8-10 years, I’m finally looking to upgrade my receiver.

Currently have the Onkyo 608 which for me has worked well.
I’m looking to upgrade but I don’t know what I should look for or what features I should consider.

I’d be watching movies on cable tv ( HBO, Starz, On Demand), listening to music, and maybe I’ll hook my PS4 back up to it.
Also, I’d like to be able to connect my iPhone to the receiver and listen to Spotify.

As you can see, my wants are pretty simple.

I’d be connecting my receiver to my Panny TC-P65S1 and Definitive Speakers.

Just bought a house with finished basement.
Previous owner has 8 in ceiling/wall speakers.

3 speakers under TV in wall
3 speakers behind couch in ceiling
2 speakers by bar in ceiling

I’m looking at the Onkyo 676 only because it’s on sale and because you can connect your iPhone to it.

Will the 676 work for what I want ?

Any other suggestions?

Not looking to spend a lot on the receiver.

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't know what your price range is but the Onkyo 787 is an excellent receiver with many features, plenty of power and a very good price. i suspect you could get a really great deal on one during the after Christmas and New Year's day sales upcoming this weekend.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I used to have a Sony STR-DH550 receiver but Santa brought me a Marantz SR5013 this past Christmas and couldn't be happier, the sound it provides is fantastic and it's definitely a huge upgrade to my system.

Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors as Main speakers
Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini Monitors as Surround Speakers (4)
Dayton Audio Sub-1000 10" Subwoofers (2)
Marantz SR5013 Receiver + Sony XBR65X750D 65" 4K TV + Mac Mini + Apple TV 4K + PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't really have a price range I guess but I'd prefer to stay at least in the $400 price range.
Only reason under $400 or that I don't want to spend all that much is because my use for the receiver are simple uses I think.

So if I can find one for $250 like the 676 and you guys think think that will do, then I'll go that route.

Honestly, I just want it to sound good, connect my iPhone, and be able to connect these 8 speakers + my subwoofer.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post

The Onkyo 676 at Best Buy for $249.99 is a great buy and a nice little receiver. It will do what you want.

My only question/concern is the speaker layout from your post seems odd. 3 speakers in the front, that is normal. That is your Left, Center, and Right. However, 3 speakers behind the couch is strange. You should have either 2 or 4, but not 3. Unless the prior owners had no idea what they were doing. With 2 speakers in the rear, you get a "5 speaker surround" and 4 would give you a "7 speaker surround". But that is typically 2 rear and 2 side/or ceiling. Are you including the subwoofer as one of the "3" rear speakers?

The 2 speakers over the bar are NOT included in a surround setup and should be hooked up as "Zone 2" so that you can play a separate source to (like music) to those speakers independent of your TV/Surround setup.

Regardless, for your price range the Onkyo 676 is a good option. Keep in mind that Best Buy often has "open box" deals or display models you can purchase. Depending on your location, you may be able to find the Onkyo 787 model for $485. I know that's a bit higher than your budget, but it's a good deal if you can find it. Also, be aware that Pioneer was bought by Onkyo. When shopping for lower end receivers, some Onkyo and Pioneer models are nearly identical aside from their branding.

Hope this helps.

Gus R
post #6 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Rodeen View Post
The Onkyo 676 at Best Buy for $249.99 is a great buy and a nice little receiver. It will do what you want.
Thanks!
Yeah, while I would like something fancier, I know for my needs, I don't need all the bells and whistles.
I think my 608 was overkill.

I'll look at Pioneer and the 787 as well.

Quote:
My only question/concern is the speaker layout from your post seems odd. 3 speakers in the front, that is normal. That is your Left, Center, and Right. However, 3 speakers behind the couch is strange. You should have either 2 or 4, but not 3. Unless the prior owners had no idea what they were doing. With 2 speakers in the rear, you get a "5 speaker surround" and 4 would give you a "7 speaker surround". But that is typically 2 rear and 2 side/or ceiling. Are you including the subwoofer as one of the "3" rear speakers?

The 2 speakers over the bar are NOT included in a surround setup and should be hooked up as "Zone 2" so that you can play a separate source to (like music) to those speakers independent of your TV/Surround setup.
The way the basement is wired, these was professionally installed.
You can see that right away.
I have zero doubt whatsoever that the owner did this work.

I figured the far 2 were zone 2.

I thought the 3 ceiling speakers behind the couch was odd as well.
But that was there surround speakers and the way the speakers are installed, you can easily see it was around their couch layout.
No my subwoofer is not included in the 3 behind the couch.
My subwoofer would make the total speakers in the basement at 9.
6 in wall/ceiling
1 subwoofer
2 zone 2
post #7 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Older receivers, like the Kenwood 6000 series had 6.1, where #6 was a rear, matrix mix of the 2 sides. I bet that is what it was.

Music, more music.

Last edited by altpensacola; 12-27-2018 at 10:37 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I thought the 3 ceiling speakers behind the couch was odd as well.
But that was there surround speakers and the way the speakers are installed, you can easily see it was around their couch layout.
No my subwoofer is not included in the 3 behind the couch.
My subwoofer would make the total speakers in the basement at 9.
6 in wall/ceiling
1 subwoofer
2 zone 2
As the the response above noted, that 6th speaker may have been for an old 6.1 configuration. From my understanding, the Onkyo 676 supports 6.1, but does so in a strange way (see speaker config image). I think I would leave the 6th speaker unplugged from the receiver and only run 5.1 setup + Zone 2.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion? Personally, it seems the install (although professional) was done at that weird time before 7.1 setups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manual_speaker config.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	2501388  

Gus R
post #9 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
From my understanding, the Onkyo 676 supports 6.1, but does so in a strange way (see speaker config image).
According to that image, their 6.1 is basically 7.1, but without a front center (i.e. phantom center).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #10 of 10 Old 12-27-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Hi everyone

After some 8-10 years, I’m finally looking to upgrade my receiver.

Currently have the Onkyo 608 which for me has worked well.
I’m looking to upgrade but I don’t know what I should look for or what features I should consider.

I’d be watching movies on cable tv ( HBO, Starz, On Demand), listening to music, and maybe I’ll hook my PS4 back up to it.
Also, I’d like to be able to connect my iPhone to the receiver and listen to Spotify.

As you can see, my wants are pretty simple.

I’d be connecting my receiver to my Panny TC-P65S1 and Definitive Speakers.

Just bought a house with finished basement.
Previous owner has 8 in ceiling/wall speakers.

I’m looking at the Onkyo 676 only because it’s on sale and because you can connect your iPhone to it.

Will the 676 work for what I want ?

Any other suggestions?

Not looking to spend a lot on the receiver.

Thanks !
you don't list what your def tech set up is... the Onkyo 676 seems capable enough. make sure you connect it to your network. You will find that "driving" from your phone with the embedded apps is better than playing from your phone - and I only say this as some people think bluetooth is acceptable. but hey, to each their own.

good luck

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page