The Official NAD C658 Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 302Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 645 Old 06-16-2019, 09:24 AM
Newbie
 
esbrewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
name of filter

I have also noticed the name in the menu on the 658 does not match the name entered for the filter in Dirac Live. The correct name for the filter DOES show in the Bluesound app.

Regarding the networking issues - my system is almost 100% wireless via eero units and I have experienced zero connectivity or recognition problems. I should add the Dirac Live app for the my Macbook also picked up on subwoofer connected to the 658 and identified the system as 2.1

So much is right here - but that default setting to on needs to change going forward.
esbrewer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 645 Old 06-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by esbrewer View Post
Dirac Live functioning great on my 658 - with one exception. It seems to be turning off at power down and defaulting to no correction.
Yes I've noticed that also. It is annoying that it defaults to OFF instead of staying on the last Dirac filter used when it wakes up from Standby. In the meantime I might just switch Auto Standby feature OFF in Settings. Leaving it on all the time should only cost a few dollars in electricity.

If I leave the C658 on and playing music this should also help me speed through 200 hours of new device burn-in time even if my power amps are off. I generally don't leave my system on when I'm not in the room as I don't like to leave tube amps unattended. So until NAD release a firmware update that corrects this default Dirac OFF after unit wakes up I'll just leave it on and playing and switch my power amp off/on separately as needed.
freedomgli is online now  
post #483 of 645 Old 06-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
For the main location (your head in the seat measurement scheme), I pointed the mic towards the ceiling. For the 8 measurements of the box, the mic goes in each corner and for these I also pointed the mic up.
Thanks. I'll give it a try with all measurements taken with mic pointing up. I noticed my right speaker is not toed in the same amount as my left so I need to carefully measure them and adjust speaker position and redo all the measurements anyhow. I don't have mic stand so have just been holding it as still as possible by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
That 3D box is probably hard to see on a phone screen, so for those using the phone probably worth a look at the guide Flavio posted in previous post.
Yeah, on the mobile app the 3D box around the seating position is open to misinterpretation due to the missing labels that are present in the desktop app. So it was user error on my part but the simplistic nature of the mobile app contributed to it.
freedomgli is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #484 of 645 Old 06-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
To paint you a picture, my Mancave friends come over most every Saturday night to play Wii golf, rock out and drink libations and they have been through my many system changes through the years and we were all WOWED last night with the fabulous clean sound coming out of the 658 with Dirac. I have many playlist on Tidal and we play shuffle play so we listen to a wide range of music and it all sounds so wonderful! The 658, Tidal Hi-Fi and $99 Dirac are a great package! And it was a great feeling to remove my EQ from the chain, so simple now with just the 658, my Audio Van Alstine amp and my Dayton Audio sub amp.

I have not checked yet if Dirac did not maintain settings. If it did not, we all have to make our thoughts known to NAD and or Dirac. They have to get it to maintain settings when we turn off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
You don’t even need to borrow the laptop so long as your desktop in the main house and the NAD C658 in your man cave are on the same WiFi network. You will have to do some running back and forth between the two buildings as you do the initial measurements. But you only need to do that once (9x for single seat and up to 17x for sofa). After you’ve got the measurements you can create as many target curves and filters as you want. The NAD C658 can store up to 5 filters at a time.
Thanks you for this idea, no biggie to run back and forth, only a few steps away!
candor likes this.
MoreVolume is offline  
post #485 of 645 Old 06-16-2019, 02:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
If during Dirac calibration, you got the sub in the green, then it might be outputting but at lower level than you are familiar with. It lowered the bass level in my system below 80Hz.

Another thought is that part of your initial Dirac setting (when you did it without a sub) some how persists or wasn't. That may be the filter slot. If your power down you speck of later didn't correct it, you could try saving your latest project filter(s) to unused slots and see if that makes a difference.

I see unexpected text in the first filter slot on my C658 display screen. Another observation of bugginess. I might try reseting my unit to default state.
Hey Candor, thanks for your suggestions! Indeed, when checking my subwoofer's signal indicator light, it turned green only when I had the Dirac Live filters OFF. My sub even has a trigger sensitivity range and I engaged the "high sensitivity" setting and still there was no apparent signal that turned the sub on while engaging Dirac Live.

I did as you suggested and went a step further, as I also reset my NAD unit to factory settings, in addition to completely removing the Dirac Live app for iOS and Windows. In other words, I started fresh, and thus my NAD unit had no previous filters to refence. I'm happy to report that this fixed my missing sub signal when engaging Dirac Live!

Again, this shows that the implementation can be buggy but I suppose that this is to be expected in this early phase of implementation. Thanks again.
Salvamando is offline  
post #486 of 645 Old 06-17-2019, 06:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 40
proceed
markrubin likes this.
wassup is offline  
post #487 of 645 Old 06-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Newbie
 
Stevoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, I've been in the market for a combination preamp+streaming+dirac unit for a while, and I came across the NAD C658 this weekend. This product intrigues me because I this is one of the few unit I've found that ticks all my boxes and has a phono stage. Feature set looks good. My questions are:


(1) Does the phono input get run through an analog-to-digital converter and dirac like everything else? Many products I find like this one will bypass room correction for analog inputs. I have a Rega turntable and really want to make sure the phono input is a first-class citizen on whatever I buy.



(2) This thread is pretty long, and it looks like there has been a lot of anguish and delayed promises over this product. No doubt, it seems NAD botched this product launch. That said, now that the dust has settled, how is it? Can room correction be set up without issues now? How is the fidelity once correction is performed? Is it worth the price tag?
Stevoman is offline  
post #488 of 645 Old 06-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
(1) Does the phono input get run through an analog-to-digital converter and dirac like everything else? Many products I find like this one will bypass room correction for analog inputs. I have a Rega turntable and really want to make sure the phono input is a first-class citizen on whatever I buy.
There is a lot of flexibility in how you setup sources with this preamp. I suggest you read the owner’s manual for more info on inputs and outputs, how to name and enable/ disable them, setup fixed or variable volume control for each one, etc.

For example, the Analog Bypass feature: All analog signals remain in the analog domain without analog-to-digital conversions.

On: DSP circuitry is bypassed but full tone control functions remain.

Off: Analog bypass feature is turned off.

Separately you can turn on/off Tone Controls and Dirac for any source at any time.

I cannot comment on the quality of the phono stage as it only works for your typical MM cartridges with 47k ohm load impedance. I use a separate phono preamp for use with low output MC cartridges. Only you can decide if the C658 phono stage is good enough.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
(2) This thread is pretty long, and it looks like there has been a lot of anguish and delayed promises over this product. No doubt, it seems NAD botched this product launch. That said, now that the dust has settled, how is it? Can room correction be set up without issues now? How is the fidelity once correction is performed? Is it worth the price tag?
I had no issues with Dirac aside from some user error due to inexperience. For example, the 3D measurement box graphic in the mobile app is ambiguous regarding left/right and forwards/ backwards and there are no written labels. This is made more clear in the desktop app due to written labels for each measurement position. Also Dirac don’t say clearly and definitively in the instructions whether you should point the mic towards the ceiling or the speakers for any or all of the measurements. So little things like that you might experiment with. But using the software itself is pretty straightforward. I prefer the desktop app to the mobile app.

Time will tell if I like the sound better with the Dirac filter on. I’m simultaneously breaking in new C658, new speakers, new interconnects, new speaker wire and new AC power receptacle. Also I think the advantages will become more clear when I add subwoofers to my stereo bookshelf speakers.
wassup likes this.
freedomgli is online now  
post #489 of 645 Old 06-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thumbs up Update

I got back to Dirac after hearing success with the full version jumped on board and upgraded and reran the smaller seating arrangement with great success. Made 5 custom curves. I like how you can just keep making curves from the single data set. Some recordings need a little boost. I was happy without but Dirac is the bomb diggity, officially a Dirac fan boy
candor and wassup like this.

Music System, NAD C658, Emotiva A300 Amp, KEF R700 Speakers, Wireworld Cables
Movie Room, Marantz 7012, Carver A 753X amp, Carver A 705X amp, M&K MX 350 Sub, M&K S150's front, 4 M&K S85's for surrounds, sound treatments
quattroman is offline  
post #490 of 645 Old 06-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Whether using BluOS Controller app on iOS or OSX I am unable to fast forward certain songs streaming via Tidal. I can only skip to the next or previous track. I’m unable to fast forward within the song. I’ve tried to find a pattern. It seems that I cannot fast forward CD quality songs but I can MQA tracks. What gives?
freedomgli is online now  
post #491 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 12:04 AM
Member
 
jameswilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: LA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I finally had a chance to sit down and dig into the Dirac app today. It was time-consuming, partly because I kept getting network connection errors while taking measurements. I figured out that if I kept hitting retry, it would eventually power through. Anyway, this is the first plot I got:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0csfq93me4...Dirac.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kquu9c1zh...irac2.jpg?dl=0

No wonder the windows were rattling... I don't think I've got the program completely figured out, as I did not have multiple options of target curves (NAD vs Dirac). I just accepted the one available, and may go back to tweak a little. So far, I would say that it is a definite, noticeable improvement - the low end has been tamed, and the sound stage is considerable more open/wider. Good recordings sound really, really great. I have not done extended listening yet, but will report back if I find any issues.

I did not experience some of the problems other folks have had - I can fast forward or rewind via my BluOS app via the scrub function just fine. My subwoofers are working as intended, though they are not controlled by the NAD, but rather the brains of my Xd system - the NAD sees the system as full range/no subwoofer.

I don't know if this will be a panacea for those that complained about the sound of the C658, but for those of us that thought it already did a very good job, this is delicious icing on the cake. Dirac works, and works well.
Matthew Pool likes this.

Last edited by jameswilt; 06-18-2019 at 12:11 AM.
jameswilt is online now  
post #492 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 05:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
For the main location (your head in the seat measurement scheme), I pointed the mic towards the ceiling. For the 8 measurements of the box, the mic goes in each corner and for these I also pointed the mic up.

I finally found NAD’s recommendation on mic orientation as a footnote. They really should put this in the instructions at the step where you’re doing the measurements as that is where it makes the most sense. Also I don’t recall uploading any calibration file as the Dirac Live software automatically recognized the mic hardware attached to the USB port on my C658. But when I redo my measurements I’ll manually upload the mic calibration file.

NAD Electronics Support > HOW TO's & FAQ > How To's > Dirac Setup
Quote:
The Microphone should be in “free air” and pointed up with no sources of reflection. A mini or full‐size tripod is very helpful here.
freedomgli is online now  
post #493 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 40
does the C658 come with a calibrated mic? does anybody sell it bundled like that? where is the best deal on this C658 unit?
wassup is offline  
post #494 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassup View Post
does the C658 come with a calibrated mic? does anybody sell it bundled like that? where is the best deal on this C658 unit?
1. Yes.
2. It's included in the box.
3. New the price will be the same everywhere, whether you shop on Amazon or Crutchfield or local dealer. If you're willing to gamble on used or open box item then check out Safe & Sound HQ or your local Best Buy Magnolia or talk to your local dealer about demo units or trade-in items. I traded up from a Bluesound Node 2i to the NAD C 658 and am happy with the service I got from my local dealer who accepted my trade-in at full MSRP and applied the credit towards the purchase of the NAD.

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/produ...ifier-open-box
wassup likes this.
freedomgli is online now  
post #495 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 05:18 PM
Member
 
candor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
That is a lot of bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post

No wonder the windows were rattling... I don't think I've got the program completely figured out, as I did not have multiple options of target curves (NAD vs Dirac). I just accepted the one available, and may go back to tweak a little. So far, I would say that it is a definite, noticeable improvement - the low end has been tamed, and the sound stage is considerable more open/wider. Good recordings sound really, really great. I have not done extended listening yet, but will report back if I find any issues.
James, your speaker+subs put out an awesome amount of low frequency bass (thin lines). At that volume I'd expect any pets to be cowering and and to feel internal organ compression.

I think the thicker lines represent what Dirac indicates it will shoot for which to me looks like bass is more on par with rest of the spectrum. Probably makes is bit easier to listen at loud levels
candor is offline  
post #496 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Member
 
Matthew Pool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mind - Midwest, Heart - West Coast
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post
I finally had a chance to sit down and dig into the Dirac app today. It was time-consuming, partly because I kept getting network connection errors while taking measurements. I figured out that if I kept hitting retry, it would eventually power through. Anyway, this is the first plot I got:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0csfq93me4...Dirac.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kquu9c1zh...irac2.jpg?dl=0

No wonder the windows were rattling... I don't think I've got the program completely figured out, as I did not have multiple options of target curves (NAD vs Dirac). I just accepted the one available, and may go back to tweak a little. So far, I would say that it is a definite, noticeable improvement - the low end has been tamed, and the sound stage is considerable more open/wider. Good recordings sound really, really great. I have not done extended listening yet, but will report back if I find any issues.

I did not experience some of the problems other folks have had - I can fast forward or rewind via my BluOS app via the scrub function just fine. My subwoofers are working as intended, though they are not controlled by the NAD, but rather the brains of my Xd system - the NAD sees the system as full range/no subwoofer.

I don't know if this will be a panacea for those that complained about the sound of the C658, but for those of us that thought it already did a very good job, this is delicious icing on the cake. Dirac works, and works well.
Does Dirac really achieve the flatness of the fat lines? If so that's incredible! It looks like the skinny lines would be more like what most people would like for an increased bass "house" curve.

KEF R3 L/R | Dual Rythmik F12SE | 2.2 | Yamaha RX-A2080
Matthew Pool is offline  
post #497 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 07:00 PM
Member
 
jameswilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: LA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
James, your speaker+subs put out an awesome amount of low frequency bass (thin lines). At that volume I'd expect any pets to be cowering and and to feel internal organ compression.

I think the thicker lines represent what Dirac indicates it will shoot for which to me looks like bass is more on par with rest of the spectrum. Probably makes is bit easier to listen at loud levels
Yeah, party's over...
jameswilt is online now  
post #498 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 07:02 PM
Member
 
jameswilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: LA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pool View Post
Does Dirac really achieve the flatness of the fat lines? If so that's incredible! It looks like the skinny lines would be more like what most people would like for an increased bass "house" curve.
It would be interesting to see - I don't think I can test it via the Dirac program because you probably can't run the diagnostics with Dirac engaged. I'd need an independent rig to run a test.
jameswilt is online now  
post #499 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Make sure after you’ve upgraded to Dirac Live Full Frequency that you use the correct NAD Target Curve for Dirac Live Full Frequency. It is different than the NAD Target Curve for Dirac Live. You can still use the NAD Target Curve for the standard version and adjust the frequency curtains manually but doing so sounds different than using the proper NAD Target Curve for Full Frequency.
freedomgli is online now  
post #500 of 645 Old 06-18-2019, 10:28 PM
Member
 
jameswilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: LA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
Make sure after you’ve upgraded to Dirac Live Full Frequency that you use the correct NAD Target Curve for Dirac Live Full Frequency. It is different than the NAD Target Curve for Dirac Live. You can still use the NAD Target Curve for the standard version and adjust the frequency curtains manually but doing so sounds different than using the proper NAD Target Curve for Full Frequency.
I've already upgraded to the full version. However, being the Luddite I am, I can't pull up any more target curves than the default one that was offered to me after I finished the measurements. Can I assume this is what I want, at least as a starting point?

I listened to a few more things today, and it is definitely an improvement - in addition to the more open/wider sound stage (less congested), there is a lot more detail, a lack of smearing. This was the one thing that was bothering me before. I interpreted this as a less engaging, less "energized" listening experience, but I am now hearing it. There is better balance and clarity. I'm sure it helps that the bass is not overwhelming everything else, though it wasn't as apparent as you would think, until I heard it the way it was supposed to sound, if that makes sense. As someone said in an earlier post, it's as if I was handed glasses for the first time - I hadn't realized what I wasn't seeing (hearing).
jameswilt is online now  
post #501 of 645 Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dirac Default to off

Has anyone else reported this issue to NAD? It may help to get it fixed, it is so irritating that after all the waiting and effort to get it all setup that it turns itself off. I wonder how many people have no idea it turned off? Like the rest of you have described it, my experience has been the same once you get rid of the extra bass flying around the room that does not belong it reveals a lot of detail that was being masked and the bass that is left is much tighter and more articulate. I also noticed that speaker placement made one of my channels output more sound than the other so I have also benefitted from proper balance improving the imaging. I am very happy when it is on........

Music System, NAD C658, Emotiva A300 Amp, KEF R700 Speakers, Wireworld Cables
Movie Room, Marantz 7012, Carver A 753X amp, Carver A 705X amp, M&K MX 350 Sub, M&K S150's front, 4 M&K S85's for surrounds, sound treatments
quattroman is offline  
post #502 of 645 Old 06-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post
I've already upgraded to the full version. However, being the Luddite I am, I can't pull up any more target curves than the default one that was offered to me after I finished the measurements.

Are you using the mobile app or the desktop app?



Have you read the Dirac Live quick start guide? https://live.dirac.com/content/uploa...nt-version.pdf



I can't recall exactly how it works on mobile app and I'm not connected to my home WiFi right now. But on the desktop app there is a drop down menu where you can load the target curve. Before you load a new target curve I would save your Dirac automatically generated target curve first. That way you can easily go back without having to deal with snapshots or loading an old project file. On the Dirac Live desktop app go to Menu > Save Target Curve > Group 1 and select a file name and save it in the default folder. Make a backup of this file elsewhere in case it accidentally gets overwritten during a future software update.



Next go download the NAD target curve from the NAD website to your computer. Be sure to download the right target curve for the version you are using (either Dirac Live or Dirac Live Full Frequency). Then in the Dirac Live desktop app go to Menu > Load Target Curve > Group 1 and a file explorer window will open. The file name extension for the target curve is either .txt or .targetcurve. If you did not save the target curve file in the default folder on your machine then go find where you saved it and then select it. Voila. You have now loaded the new target curve.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post
Can I assume this is what I want, at least as a starting point?
It's what Dirac thinks most users will prefer as a starting point and they explain their rationale on their website. See Technical Information > Choosing a target response. Your mileage may vary and your ears and listening preferences will always be the best judge.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post
though it wasn't as apparent as you would think, until I heard it the way it was supposed to sound, if that makes sense. As someone said in an earlier post, it's as if I was handed glasses for the first time - I hadn't realized what I wasn't seeing (hearing).
It is interesting to compare Dirac OFF to Dirac recommended target curve to NAD target curve. Personally I've not yet settled on a particular filter that I like most, although I almost always prefer Dirac ON.
freedomgli is online now  
post #503 of 645 Old 06-19-2019, 07:09 PM
Member
 
jameswilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: LA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Unfortunately, I'm using the mobile app on my iPad. My computer is attached to the network via an Ethernet cable - wifi is not an option. Maybe this would be a good excuse to upgrade my desktop... Anyway, I'll go over that quick start guide again, but I believe it is a very different interface. I've messed around with it extensively trying to find a way to import the NAD curve, and have not found it yet.
jameswilt is online now  
post #504 of 645 Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Member
 
candor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post
Unfortunately, I'm using the mobile app on my iPad. My computer is attached to the network via an Ethernet cable - wifi is not an option. Maybe this would be a good excuse to upgrade my desktop... Anyway, I'll go over that quick start guide again, but I believe it is a very different interface. I've messed around with it extensively trying to find a way to import the NAD curve, and have not found it yet.
I would think you could use the browser on your IPAD to download the target curve files to the IPAD. Note where the files go. Then on the app menu (they call hamburger menu in guide), you would do the open target curve and browse to the location you saved the files.


An alternative way would be seeing where Dirac app looks when first looking for target curve and then using browser to save file(s) from the NAD web site to that location.
candor is offline  
post #505 of 645 Old 06-22-2019, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have a few questions,
I have now opened Dirac on my PC and did a full sound calibration and set and saved 2 named filter settings and exported them to my 658.
I still cant make adjustments above like 500, what am I missing?
When I log back into Dirac on my PC, I see the to set saved filters on the left and I click on them nothing seems to happen, what I am not doing? How can I see those settings?
And how to I make other new filters without having to go through all the sound calibrating again?
And what do I want to leave on for the foreseeable future so Dirac stays on?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by MoreVolume; 06-22-2019 at 11:40 AM.
MoreVolume is offline  
post #506 of 645 Old 06-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreVolume View Post
I still cant make adjustments above like 500, what am I missing?
Have you read the Dirac quick start guide?

https://live.dirac.com/content/uploa...nt-version.pdf

Have you upgraded your license to Dirac Live Full Frequency and completed all the activation steps? If yes, then click on the frequency curtains and drag them to alter the frequency range. If not, then you’re limited to <500Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreVolume View Post
When I log back into Dirac on my PC, I see the to set saved filters on the left and I click on them nothing seems to happen, what I am not doing? How can I see those settings?
You have to take snapshots at the time you exported each filter if you want to see them again. Or save them as separate project files. Or take manual screenshots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreVolume View Post
And how to I make other new filters without having to go through all the sound calibrating again?
When you open the app you can resume last session or load saved project. Then you can tweak the target curves and frequency curtains to your heart’s content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreVolume View Post
And what do I want to leave on for the foreseeable future so Dirac stays on?
Currently, you have to leave your NAD C 658 on if you want Dirac to stay on. Otherwise you have to turn Dirac on and set the filter each time you power on. This is a nuisance that others have complained about with this firmware release. If enough people complain to NAD they might address it in a future firmware update. Make sure Auto Standby is not enabled.
MoreVolume likes this.
freedomgli is online now  
post #507 of 645 Old 06-23-2019, 01:28 PM
Member
 
nadfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

Greetings from the UK!

My first post here although I have been reading this thread since stumbling on it a few days back while searching the web for reviews and opinions on the NAD C658.

Despite my user name I have no affiliation with the company NAD or its owners etc, I'm just a guy who likes NAD gear! I like other hi-fi and AV stuff too of course....but I digress...

It seems to me that the jury is still out on the XLR outputs on this unit? Some have said on this thread that switching to unbalanced yielded more favourable results, whereas some have said it made no difference. There doesn't seem to be a consensus although I'm leaning more towards unbalanced RCA given there are more posts favouring that option it seems.

Having said that...

I plan to use the NAD C658 with a NAD C268 power amp, and have the Front L/R pre-outs of my Pioneer AVR going into one of the analog inputs on the C658. This is how I currently integrate my HT and hi-fi system (with an integrated amp, not a pre-amp/power amp combination) and works well. The Pioneer acts as a preamp in this situation, controlling the volume of all speakers in the HT system but with the NAD acting as a power amp for the fronts. When I just want to play 2-channel music, only the stereo integrated gets used. My current integrated amp is, you guessed it, a NAD.

Would using XLR or unbalanced outs from the C658 into the C268 have any bearing on how the front two speakers will sound when the Pioneer AVR is being used (i.e. watching blu-ray discs)? Will introducing XLR cables into the mix be a good idea, or a bad one? I am sure I read one post that remarked on there being a volume drop when using XLR cables with the C658.

Any thoughts?

Not am employee of NAD, not affiliated with the company in any way...just a fan of their products...and lover of good hi-fi sound
nadfan is offline  
post #508 of 645 Old 06-23-2019, 03:13 PM
Member
 
candor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This is how it worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreVolume View Post
I have a few questions,
I have now opened Dirac on my PC and did a full sound calibration and set and saved 2 named filter settings and exported them to my 658.
I still cant make adjustments above like 500, what am I missing?
When I log back into Dirac on my PC, I see the to set saved filters on the left and I click on them nothing seems to happen, what I am not doing? How can I see those settings?
And how to I make other new filters without having to go through all the sound calibrating again?
And what do I want to leave on for the foreseeable future so Dirac stays on?
Thank you in advance for your help.
When I went to full, I purchased the license at Dirac site. They emailed an activation code. I went back to my account at Dirac site and activated Full using the code.

When I next ran Dirac SW, I logged out and then logged in. I started a new project, but might have been able to use the earlier one. After doing measurements and moving to filter page, my window for the speakers (group B) was expanded ( I didn't have to do anything, but I did do a new measurement.

If you did license activation, I would try logging out and then logging into you Dirac account in the Dirac app.

Before you do that make sure you save you existing project if you haven't! If you are not logged in to you Dirac account in the app, you will need to do that first (or so they say).

If the logout /login cleared the project, you can open it from where you saved it. I think this will land you on the Filter page, but if not go there. I think you will see the filter range for your speakers now goes out to 20K or 20.1K. Note, there is the possibility that a new measurement is needed, but I doubt that.

To make a new filter you click the Export to Filter button at the bottom. The things on the left screen don't do anything that I know of. I suppose its possible that you have to change something for the export button to look operational (e.g. why save the same filter twice!?).

I would second that reading the pdf is a good idea!
candor is offline  
post #509 of 645 Old 06-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Member
 
candor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Dirac tries for the target curve, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pool View Post
Does Dirac really achieve the flatness of the fat lines? If so that's incredible! It looks like the skinny lines would be more like what most people would like for an increased bass "house" curve.
I did some additional REW measurements after I got the full version. I also eliminated an SMS-1 and sub PEQ settings. The sub measured 12 db higher in calibration than the speakers ( in spec but might have affected the results).

I would say that there is good bass with either target curve, though more lower bass with NAD curve. Both sound great! Note, that Dirac is aiming to improve more than the frequency response.

I was bit disappointed that Dirac trims my low end at 26.7 Hz almost like it was suppressing room gain. The NAD target curve goes to 18 Hz and it looks like my subs could get close to this.

It also looks like my REW mic sees upper frequencies lower than the NAD mic. I only measured to 15K, but its dropping after 10K.

The Dirac comparison shows Dirac off (orange), Dirac on NAD Target applied to sub and speakers (green) and Dirac Live target applied to both. The 2nd attachment is a snip of NAD target in filter window for comparison.

Is there a Dirac forum in AVS? I want to learn more about controlling it. Maybe it is a mistake to apply curve to speaker groups separately.

In a week or two, I anticipate lowering sub volume and setting some PEQ at sub to present a flatter response to Dirac. Hope that gets the bass lower or at least let it roll off like the sub would normally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac comparison.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	2583618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac Screen Nad Full Target.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2583620  
candor is offline  
post #510 of 645 Old 06-23-2019, 04:08 PM
Member
 
candor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here is a couple of thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfan View Post
Would using XLR or unbalanced outs from the C658 into the C268 have any bearing on how the front two speakers will sound when the Pioneer AVR is being used (i.e. watching blu-ray discs)? Will introducing XLR cables into the mix be a good idea, or a bad one? I am sure I read one post that remarked on there being a volume drop when using XLR cables with the C658.
It sounded like you could use either cable type, so if you didn't like XLR you could switch.

There are options or inputs. When passing the AVR F&L channels you can prevent them from Digital processing (Dirac, subs) with analog bypass. I think that affects both Line1 and Line2 and possibly phono input. If you do this then sub is connected to AVR and not C658. Do you need the sub for your 2ch listening?

If you use the AVR room correction function then you probably want the sub connected to AVR anyways.

If you need a sub for 2-ch there are options (more subs, switching devices).

Don't know what else you have connected to the integrated amp. I primarily wanted a network streamer and good DAC. I also want the sub for 2ch music, so I went the route of connecting the C658 to 7.1 inputs. I have a older 8003 Marantz pre-pro. With a lower model AVR or Prepro, I might have figured out an acceptable way to share the sub between them.

When I was researching the purchase, most folks had better quality 2-ch and would go the route of running the AVR R-L fronts thru pre-amp with something like analog bypass enabled.
nadfan likes this.
candor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
nad 658 , nad c658

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off