The Official NAD C658 Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 360Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 814 Old 06-29-2019, 10:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfan View Post
Yes indeed there are other power amp options. I've read about the Nord Acoustics power amps, built to order here in the UK, and taken a look at them on their website. From what I've been reading online, those who own one are speaking very favourably about them. I do like the look of the C268 though, to blend in with the C658 in the rack, and I'm sure it's a good sonic partner for the C658, as you state. I haven't made any decisions yet with all of this, and in no hurry to at the moment. But it's good to have choices
Yes, Nord is also on my radar although not mentioned in my "signature". I read elsewhere on the web that Nord amps tends to sound "cleaner" than other Class D amps. So long as that isn't alt speak for "potentially fatiguing", it gives an option for audio preference. With Class D amps becoming widely available, the choice is getting harder. Philistine that I obviously am, blending the aesthetics won't affect the choice of boxes. Not that aesthetics don't matter: my next set of speakers will be a lovely light oak and, obviously, THAT is the most important consideration...

Main system: Rotel RA-1572 (int amp - looking to change); Cocktail Audio X10 (main source); Sony UHP-H1 Blu-ray/SACD player (secondary source); Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers.
Looking at: NAD C 658 (pre); Anthem STR (pre); Nord One MP NC252 (power - maybe SE); Mytek Brooklyn Amp (power); NAD C 658 (power). Also, Pioneer UDP-LX500 or Sony UBP-X1100ES
RockAddict is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 814 Old 06-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Member
 
jameswilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfan View Post
So, are there any C658 owners on here preferring the sound using the balanced XLR outputs vs the unbalanced RCA ones?
I've tried both and can't tell any difference, though my cable runs are short.
nadfan likes this.
jameswilt is offline  
post #543 of 814 Old 06-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Member
 
nadfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post
I've tried both and can't tell any difference, though my cable runs are short.
Thanks. My cable runs will be very short too (C658 and power amp in the same rack separated by a single shelf).
nadfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #544 of 814 Old 06-30-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarVi View Post
I just ordered this preamp/dac/streamer.

Its going to replace my Anthem MRX300 as a preamp, and in that regard I'm going to go from a 5.1 system to a 2.1 system.
I mostly use the system for music, so this was a logical step.

Its going in front of two Hypex UCD400HG/HxR monoblocks using the balanced outputs. The UCD400's will be replaced by nCore later.

I'm _really_ looking forward to hearing what differences this change makes.

For one, I expect that the preamplifier section should be much better than in the MRX. Its only two channels, in a more expensive product, so there should be better components there. Plus the balanced outputs should help the sound.

Secondly, the DAC should be (much) better. Supporting higher sample rates, and being a higher quality part.

And third, the Dirac room correction sounds very promising, I look forward to comparing it with the ARC from the Anthem. I expect better performance. The technology has evolved, and the C658 should have much more powerfull processing for the calculations of the corrections. I also expect that that the Dirac adjustments to time distortions will make a difference, as my listening room is very far from perfect. I see that Dirac is working on bass management (its in Beta right now), I hope to see that implemented at some time too ...

Then there are all the streaming options (Tidal with MQA being very interesting), bluetooth, built in MM phono amp and so on. All of this is external with my current setup. A squeezebox touch, an Arcam Bluetooth receiver, and a RIAA amplifier (a VSPS 400 I build myself). All of this will / could be replaced by the built in options in the C658.

I should get the unit tuesday or wednesday next week, so I'm rather excited and looking forward to this upgrade.

I should point out that the MRX300 has been great in my system, and that ARC made a huge difference to my system. So the C658 has something to live up to, but I suspect it'll do that without problems.
Please share your experience once it arrives
nadfan likes this.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is offline  
post #545 of 814 Old 06-30-2019, 01:23 PM
Member
 
KarVi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Please share your experience once it arrives
I will.

When I get everything properly set up and have listened for a few days.
Delija and nadfan like this.

NAD C658 >
> Hypex UCD400HG/HxR > Dali Mentor 6
> BK XXLS400 FF
KarVi is offline  
post #546 of 814 Old 07-01-2019, 02:31 AM
Member
 
nadfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarVi View Post
I will.

When I get everything properly set up and have listened for a few days.
I'm particularly keen to hear what you think of using the C658's balanced XLR outputs into the monoblocks.

Some on this thread have been "meh" about them and prefer the unbalanced RCA outputs.
nadfan is offline  
post #547 of 814 Old 07-01-2019, 03:12 AM
Member
 
KarVi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfan View Post
I'm particularly keen to hear what you think of using the C658's balanced XLR outputs into the monoblocks.

Some on this thread have been "meh" about them and prefer the unbalanced RCA outputs.
I think they should perform OK.

And since my Hypex's are balanced input, I really hope they sound OK. Else I'll have to rebuild my Hypex's to single ended (or use the cable I use now from the MRX300) ...

The only real review of the C658 I have been able to find is this (polish) review:

https://www.stereolife.pl/archiwum/t.../4023-nad-c658

Google translate does a good enough job to read it.

At the very bottom of the test there are some pictures, where some of them are from inside the unit.

Here its visible that the same chip is used to drive the single ended line outs and the balanced outputs. Just one for two channels single ended, and one pr channel balanced.

I don't know anything about the quality of the chip used (its not possible to read the text upon them)...
The white/beige component seems to be a small output relay?

The dealer has shipped the unit to me today (monday), so with a little luck I 'll have it tomorrow (fingers crossed)
Else it should be wednesday.

I'll probably report back with some first hand impressions.

Edit (tuesday):

The unit is ready for pickup at the package delivery. So I'll have it in hand in less than 4 hours.
Hope to be listening to music through it tonight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C658out.png
Views:	41
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	2586306  
nadfan likes this.

NAD C658 >
> Hypex UCD400HG/HxR > Dali Mentor 6
> BK XXLS400 FF

Last edited by KarVi; 07-02-2019 at 04:57 AM.
KarVi is offline  
post #548 of 814 Old 07-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfan View Post
So, are there any C658 owners on here preferring the sound using the balanced XLR outputs vs the unbalanced RCA ones?

Yes, I was running RCA for about a month then moved over to XLR. To my ear the XLR have a noticeably more powerful delivery and wider dynamic range.
nadfan likes this.
jb357 is offline  
post #549 of 814 Old 07-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Member
 
nadfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb357 View Post
Yes, I was running RCA for about a month then moved over to XLR. To my ear the XLR have a noticeably more powerful delivery and wider dynamic range.
Thanks. I would hope the balanced XLR would be better, as I understand things, it's meant to be a superior connector vs unbalanced RCA.

I noticed as well, in the user manual for the C658, the following:

It is recommended to use C 658’s BALANCED AUDIO PREOUT if the external amplifier has corresponding BALANCED input port.
nadfan is offline  
post #550 of 814 Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfan View Post
Thanks. I would hope the balanced XLR would be better, as I understand things, it's meant to be a superior connector vs unbalanced RCA.

I noticed as well, in the user manual for the C658, the following:

It is recommended to use C 658’s BALANCED AUDIO PREOUT if the external amplifier has corresponding BALANCED input port.

I'm pretty new to this but my understanding from reading a few RCA vs XLR documents was that the main benefit to XLR is lower signal loss over longer runs, and at the lengths I'm running (3ft) the difference should be negligible.



Talking to my audio dealer and his crew, they claim that XLR will provide about ~6db benefit in signal strength over RCA as well as have a lower noise floor.



It could just be placebo but I'm inclined to agree with them and much prefer the XLR over RCA with my setup.
nadfan likes this.
jb357 is offline  
post #551 of 814 Old 07-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Member
 
jameswilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb357 View Post
I'm pretty new to this but my understanding from reading a few RCA vs XLR documents was that the main benefit to XLR is lower signal loss over longer runs, and at the lengths I'm running (3ft) the difference should be negligible.



Talking to my audio dealer and his crew, they claim that XLR will provide about ~6db benefit in signal strength over RCA as well as have a lower noise floor.



It could just be placebo but I'm inclined to agree with them and much prefer the XLR over RCA with my setup.
If you scan this thread, you will find people discussing whether or not the balanced outs are in fact true balanced outs. There were a lot of people leaning towards *not*.
nadfan likes this.
jameswilt is offline  
post #552 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Member
 
KarVi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Today I picked up the unit and got it hooked up.

First impressions are hard to put into words, but some things sprung into mind.

This before I ran the Dirac corrections.

There is more detail than with my old setup, theres no doubt there. I have not tried anything above CD quality, but it clearly has more detail and finesse.

I then ran Dirac, first the free version that came with the unit and later the full version I have bought.

Dirac is easy enough to setup, coming from Anthem ARC, I'm used to having to use the computer for this, and Dirac is reasonably straightforward to use.
Allthough it barely fits the small low resolution monitor in my laptop...

My first results with the free version, where it corrects up to 500 Hz, I could hear the improvements easily. Bas was much more tight, and voices became better centered. But I did find the sound a little bit bright. See the frequency responce, there are hints to why.

Then I ran the full version and allowed Dirac to correct all the way to 17kHz. With the NAD curve it sounds absolutely wonderfull now. Very balanced I think, and with such fantastic stereo imaging. My speakers really do seem to disapear.
I have never heard this level of transparency from my speakers (Dali Mentor 6).
And there are definately details in some of the music that I never knew were there...

This is still very early times, and I'll probably experiment some more with target curves, but I'm very happy with what I hear.

Its definately a BIG upgrade from the MRX300.

The setup of the unit, and use of BluOS has been really easy to me, I find it really easy to use.

Now onwards to listen to much more music and hear some higher resolution recordings

I'll report more when I get some more inputs and experiences with the unit.

I have not run the balanced outputs yet, I'm using my old cable from before as the balanced cables have not arrived yet.

Sorry for the picture quality, light from the side gave a little glare to the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NAD.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	2586748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Udklip.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	2586750  
markrubin, Nick V, candor and 4 others like this.

NAD C658 >
> Hypex UCD400HG/HxR > Dali Mentor 6
> BK XXLS400 FF

Last edited by KarVi; 07-02-2019 at 11:49 PM.
KarVi is offline  
post #553 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Member
 
nadfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post
If you scan this thread, you will find people discussing whether or not the balanced outs are in fact true balanced outs. There were a lot of people leaning towards *not*.
I've seen those comments. Have played in bands so had some exposure to pro audio gear. I've not come across any XLR connectors that are anything other than balanced.
nadfan is offline  
post #554 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Member
 
nadfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarVi View Post
Today I picked up the unit and got it hooked up.

First impressions are hard to put into words, but some things sprung into mind.

This before I ran the Dirac corrections.

There is more detail than with my old setup, theres no doubt there. I have not tried anything above CD quality, and it clearly has more detail and finesse.

I then ran Dirac, first the free version that came with the unit and later the full version I have bought.

Dirac is easy enough to setup, comming fram Anthem ARC I'm used to having to use the computer, and Dirac is reasonably straightforward to use.
Allthough it barely fits the small low resolution monitor in my laptop...

My first results with the free version, where it corrects up to 500 Hz, I could hear the improvements easily. Bas was much more tight, and voices became better centered. But I did find the sound a little bit bright. See the frequency responce, there are hints to why.

Then I ran the full version and allowed Dirac to correct all the way to 17kHz. With the NAD curve it sounds absolutely wonderfull now. Very balanced I think, and with such fantastic stereo imaging. My speakers really do seem to disapear.
I have never heard this level of tansparency from my speakers (Dali Mentor 6).
And there are definately details in some of the music that I never knew we're there...

This is still very early times, and I'll probably experiment some more with target curves, but I'm very happy with what I hear.

Its definately a BIG upgrade from the MRX300.

The setup of the unit, and use of BluOS has been really easy to me, I find it really easy to use.

Now onwards to listen to much more music and hear some higher resolution recordings

I'll report more when I get some more inputs and experiences with the unit.

I have not run the balanced outputs yet, I'm using my old cable from before as the balanced cables have not arrived yet.

Sorry for the picture quality, light from the side gave a little glare to the picture.
Thanks for taking the time to share this KarVi.

Would you say the Dirac is easy and intuitive to use? I was getting the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that it is a bit of faff to get set up. Is the full version worth the $99? Based on your comments I am inclined to say yes!

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about your thoughts on the C658, especially when playing high-resolution material, and also what you make of the sound from the XLR connections when you try those out.
nadfan is offline  
post #555 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Member
 
KarVi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfan View Post
Would you say the Dirac is easy and intuitive to use? I was getting the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that it is a bit of faff to get set up. Is the full version worth the $99? Based on your comments I am inclined to say yes!
I found it easy to use yes.

Coming from Anthem ARC (an old version), it was pretty straight forward.

Mind you I'm an electronics technician, and computer nerd, so perhaps things like this come easier to me, than to most.

Understanding what the program is supposed to do also helps.

The results from running full version vs. "lite", are pretty big on my system. It sounds good with "lite", very good, but the full version is worth it IMHO. It does something to the sound its hard to explain, but it really sounds extremely good.
Considering what I payed for the C658, I dont find the extra money all that much, I have payed more for e.g. cables with _much_ less result.

I'll get around to testing XLR, and report back what I find out.
nadfan likes this.

NAD C658 >
> Hypex UCD400HG/HxR > Dali Mentor 6
> BK XXLS400 FF

Last edited by KarVi; 07-02-2019 at 12:16 PM.
KarVi is offline  
post #556 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Member
 
nadfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarVi View Post
I found it easy to use yes.

Coming from Anthem ARC (an old version), it was pretty straight forward.

Mind you I'm an electronics technician, and computer nerd, so perhaps things like this come easier to me, than to most.

Understanding what the program is supposed to do also helps.

The results from running full version vs. "lite", are pretty big on my system. It sounds good with "lite", very good, but the full version is worth it IMHO. It does something to the sound its hard to explain, but it really sounds extremely good.
Considering what I payed for the C658, I dont find the extra money all that much, I have payed more for e.g. cables with _much_ less result.

I'll get around to testing XLR, and report back what I find out.
I too work in the tech space but I've found I have less patience with things as I've gotten older

I notice there is a smartphone app for Dirac Live. Did you use that or download the desktop version? Quite like the idea of using a smartphone.

And does the microphone supplied require connection to the USB port on the back?

If I get a C658, I'll be looking to use wired Ethernet connection to stream Tidal and not bother with the wi-fi or bluetooth antennas. Having said that I think I recall seeing a comment somewhere on this monster thread that something didn't work without them being attached to the unit (but don't quote me on that!!!)
nadfan is offline  
post #557 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Now I'm curious how it compares with newer Anthem AVRs.
And also with T758 v3.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is offline  
post #558 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
qirex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I've been evaluating the BluOS NADs and one thing I can't understand is the internal crossover to the sub out is really fixed to 150Hz? I'm super confused if this is the case. Does Dirac on the M10 override it? I've never heard of a fixed crossover set that high and it makes it pretty unattractive for 2.1.
qirex is offline  
post #559 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Member
 
KarVi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
A couple of questions to answer.

Nadfan:
I used the desktop app.
Had the mic plugged into the back of the unit, through the suplied adapter. I dont know if it would work plugged into e.g. the PC. The mic is not at all impressive compared to the one for the Anthem, but it seems to be OK anyway.
I ran the complete setup without antennas mounted, and it worked fine through the cabled connection. Havent tried Tidal (yet), but Spotify works. I have mounted the antennas now , but havent set up Wifi. Maybe I'll use bluetooth once in a while.


qirex:

The crossover frequency is adjustable in 10Hz steps from 40 - 200Hz. Done in realtime you can hear the changes as small clicks/dropouts in the sound.
The locked crossover (at 80 Hz AFAIK) was on early firmware versions.
nadfan likes this.

NAD C658 >
> Hypex UCD400HG/HxR > Dali Mentor 6
> BK XXLS400 FF

Last edited by KarVi; 07-03-2019 at 03:41 AM.
KarVi is offline  
post #560 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
qirex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarVi View Post
A couple of questions to answer.
qiirex:

The crossover frequency is adjustable in 10Hz steps from 40 - 200Hz. Done in realtime you can hear the changes as small clicks/dropouts in the sound.
The locked crossover (at 80 Hz AFAIK) was on early firmware versions.
Thanks, I guess they haven't updated the manuals on their website. I got caught up on the high pass filter option, it just seemed bizarre.
qirex is offline  
post #561 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 05:32 PM
Member
 
candor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Try both with free live before committing to full

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfan View Post
I notice there is a smartphone app for Dirac Live. Did you use that or download the desktop version? Quite like the idea of using a smartphone.

And does the microphone supplied require connection to the USB port on the back?
The full version is somehow restricted to two devices. It is actually tied to the Dirac account you make to purchase and activate it. Then you log into that account in the application. So, seeming ly they could move the license, but they say two computers or devices.

The Dirac app is primarily to do the measurements, adjust target curves, and make filters. After that you can change the presets on the C658 but that is about it.

To see the measured data, help, target curve, window of filtering for group, ..., I think you'll appreciate using a larger display.

Note that once you measure you want to save your project. If you know how to share files between your computer and phone you might be able to use same project on two devices. I say this because if you do try both a phone and computer, you might want to do a simple single measurement and then check out the Filtering page. When you settle on phone or computer, you can do a full 9 or 17 measurement process to make filters you actually use.

The supplied microphone does connect to the USB dongle and that is attached to rear port. There appears to be a configuration file for the mic in the C658, though it is also posted on NAD site. DiracLive lets you use a mic attached to the C658 or the computer running the DiracLive SW. And the SW allow you to set a mic configuration file attached to either device. It is a bit of pain to to connect if the C658 rear isn't easily accessible. You get better with practice

I think they assume you would use a different mic if attaching to computer instead of using the one supplied with the C658. But the configuration file is available if you want to try that.
candor is offline  
post #562 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 05:45 PM
Member
 
candor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Why did you put sub and speakers in same group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarVi View Post
Dirac is easy enough to setup, coming fram Anthem ARC, I'm used to having to use the computerfor this, and Dirac is reasonably straightforward to use.
Allthough it barely fits the small low resolution monitor in my laptop...

My first results with the free version, where it corrects up to 500 Hz, I could hear the improvements easily. Bas was much more tight, and voices became better centered. But I did find the sound a little bit bright. See the frequency responce, there are hints to why.

Then I ran the full version and allowed Dirac to correct all the way to 17kHz. With the NAD curve it sounds absolutely wonderfull now. Very balanced I think, and with such fantastic stereo imaging. My speakers really do seem to disapear.
I have never heard this level of transparency from my speakers (Dali Mentor 6).
And there are definately details in some of the music that I never knew we're there...

Sorry for the picture quality, light from the side gave a little glare to the picture.
I see that you added you sub to you speaker group in the picture. Did you try it as separate sub and speaker groups first?

Where it might matter is width of frequencies corrected (the window shades). Using separate speaker and sub groups on my unit the sub correction is between 16 and 294 HZ while the speakers are 37 to 20K Hz.

The guides I've read have recommended putting speakers with like capabilities into groups (e.g. Sub, L-C-R, Surrounds).

Last edited by candor; 07-02-2019 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Make shorter
candor is offline  
post #563 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 09:09 PM
Member
 
KarVi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
I see that you added you sub to you speaker group in the picture. Did you try it as separate sub and speaker groups first?

Where it might matter is width of frequencies corrected (the window shades). Using separate speaker and sub groups on my unit the sub correction is between 16 and 294 HZ while the speakers are 37 to 20K Hz.

The guides I've read have recommended putting speakers with like capabilities into groups (e.g. Sub, L-C-R, Surrounds).
I put them together to make it easier to adjust the targetcurve for the three output devices at once (mainly for the bass). When I was happy I split them again.

You can see my current (preliminary) settings in the screenshots.

After I split them again I set a max correction frequency for the sub at about 360 Hz. Tried to match its natural slope, and stop corrections there.

I doubt it will do much difference, as I have set my crossover at 90Hz, but one would hope that filters not used at the upper frequencies, can be utilised where there's active correction going on (Anthem ARC works that way).

But it was simply for the easy import (and adjustment) of the target curve

I'm not certain my current curves are optimal, but it sounds really good.

I have tried to mimic the small drop that both my main speakers exhibit around 1-1.5 Khz with their curve.
It made the sound a little more relaxed, without loosing detail.

I'll probably move the correction zones around a little, but I'm happy with the sound as it is.

As the main speakers seem to slope down naturally below 30-35Hz, I'll probably set the lower correction point there at some time.

You must understand that these are my very first attempts. There will be adjustments to be done later.

Luckily Dirac makes it pretty easy to make adjustments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Groups.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	2586984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers.PNG
Views:	38
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	2586986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	2586988  

NAD C658 >
> Hypex UCD400HG/HxR > Dali Mentor 6
> BK XXLS400 FF

Last edited by KarVi; 07-02-2019 at 11:57 PM.
KarVi is offline  
post #564 of 814 Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 PM
Member
 
jameswilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfan View Post
If I get a C658, I'll be looking to use wired Ethernet connection to stream Tidal and not bother with the wi-fi or bluetooth antennas. Having said that I think I recall seeing a comment somewhere on this monster thread that something didn't work without them being attached to the unit (but don't quote me on that!!!)
That was me - I picked one up the very first day it was available, so perhaps they've ironed that out. I can run all my updated via wifi, so it may have been a fluke.
jameswilt is offline  
post #565 of 814 Old 07-03-2019, 05:57 AM
Member
 
candor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Makes sense, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarVi View Post
I put them together to make it easier to adjust the targetcurve for the three output devices at once (mainly for the bass). When I was happy I split them again.

You can see my current (preliminary) settings in the screenshots.

After I split them again I set a max correction frequency for the sub at about 360 Hz. Tried to match its natural slope, and stop corrections there.

I doubt it will do much difference, as I have set my crossover at 90Hz, but one would hope that filters not used at the upper frequencies, can be utilised where there's active correction going on (Anthem ARC works that way).

But it was simply for the easy import (and adjustment) of the target curve

I'm not certain my current curves are optimal, but it sounds really good.

I have tried to mimic the small drop that both my main speakers exhibit around 1-1.5 Khz with their curve.
It made the sound a little more relaxed, without loosing detail.

I'll probably move the correction zones around a little, but I'm happy with the sound as it is.

As the main speakers seem to slope down naturally below 30-35 Hz, I'll probably set the lower correction point there at some time.

You must understand that these are my very first attempts. There will be adjustments to be done later.

Luckily Dirac makes it pretty easy to make adjustments
Combining to get all devices on the same curve makes sense. Sounds easier than trying to align together as separate groups. It is a challenge to get at the group underneath the other. I think it also means that all the drag points are at the same frequency in both groups (that would be helpful if you want to edit the target files with a text editor). I'll have to give that a try! Thanks.
candor is offline  
post #566 of 814 Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I paid for the full frequency version of DIRAC Live last night and have been playing around with it last night and this morning, so far completely disappointed.

I've tried sampling with tone control on/off, sub gain (directly on the sub) at various levels, and multiple microphone placements - but every time I apply the filter it completely takes the life out of my system. My speakers and sub go from being forward, filling, rich and deep - to distant and hollow, like it's turned my big floor standers and sub into small (but highly accurate) bookshelf speakers. There is a sense that the music is more revealed, but losing 80% of the sound stage and room fill just isn't worth it.

A couple comparisons from previous configurations:
- When I had my old Cerwin Vega VE-12 cabinet speakers hooked up to my Anthem MRX-520, ARC made a world of difference in a positive way. It settled out the shrill highs and tightened up the fluttery lows, made those speakers much more civilized and linear.
- When I took delivery of my Monitor Gold 300 floor standers and ran Anthem ARC, it neutered those speakers the exact same way that DIRAC live is neutering them. I turned ARC off until eventually getting rid of that receiver.

I am going to play with the target curves and see if I can utilize DIRAC while still getting the stage/fill I want in the room, but it is going to take a lot of work playing with the target curves. For now I'm turning DIRAC off and using tone controls.
jb357 is offline  
post #567 of 814 Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
flax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb357 View Post
.

I am going to play with the target curves and see if I can utilize DIRAC while still getting the stage/fill I want in the room, but it is going to take a lot of work playing with the target curves. For now I'm turning DIRAC off and using tone controls.

Finding the ideal target curve can be time consuming but you can use a shortcut by looking at the "before correction" Dirac graphs at mid and high frequencies (many prefer a boost at low frequencies but that is easier to define)

You can then create a target curve that will follow at mid/high frequencies the very general shape (not the tiny peaks and dips) of your "before correction" graphs.
This way you should get the tonal balance that you have probably chosen with time and care while preserving the perfect alignment of the pair of speakers provided by the full bandwidth correction that is important for pinpoint imaging and improved staging.


I hope this helps, Flavio

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
flax is offline  
post #568 of 814 Old 07-03-2019, 06:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just hooked up mine, can't fast forward or rewind cd quality tracks? Anyone else have this issue? I have not played with Dirac yet because I wanted a fair comparison to the Wadia 122 I took out of the loop. I will report back after this weekend when I have spent some more time with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9305.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	773.8 KB
ID:	2587330  
Nick V, KenM10759 and Matthew Pool like this.
crock442 is offline  
post #569 of 814 Old 07-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Matthew Pool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mind - Midwest, Heart - West Coast
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by crock442 View Post
Just hooked up mine, can't fast forward or rewind cd quality tracks? Anyone else have this issue? I have not played with Dirac yet because I wanted a fair comparison to the Wadia 122 I took out of the loop. I will report back after this weekend when I have spent some more time with it.
Beautiful setup. :-)

I'd like to know your impressions between the Arcam (I see on your entertainment center) and Nad sound signatures with your R11's. My goal is to get Dirac implemented with my KEF R3's (and dual Rythmik subs) and am most likely going to wait for the Arcam SA30 coming out this fall... Dirac, MQA, 120 class G watts.. But I'm also considering the C658 with a really good power amp. :-)

KEF R3 L/R | Dual Rythmik F12SE | 2.2 | Yamaha RX-A2080
Matthew Pool is offline  
post #570 of 814 Old 07-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by crock442 View Post
Just hooked up mine, can't fast forward or rewind cd quality tracks? Anyone else have this issue?

Yes. I reported it 15 days ago. It’s annoying, especially as I listen to longer tracks, classical movements, etc. Hopefully this bug will be fixed within a few months. Not holding my breath though. This stuff is bound to happen with software. So pick your poison: a big company like NAD/ Bluesound/ Lenbrook or a small company like Naim or Aurender. Either way you hope they have both the resources and the responsiveness to address it in a reasonable timeframe. My bet is on a bigger company being able to do a better job overall long term.

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en...bile_site=true
freedomgli is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
nad 658 , nad c658

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off