The Official NAD C658 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 306Likes

post #31 of 648 Old 01-13-2019, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Sorry; not sure, I understand your reply

Candor...I should look, for an NAD BluOS app?
CDLehner,

It is a BlueSound app for controlling any BluOS device - https://www.bluesound.com/downloads/.

You might want for both a phone/tablet and a PC or MAC. I needed the PC one to add network shares with credentials as there wasn't any text capability on the tablet app.

Note, that I think you need your C658 turned on for the app to find it (also the app and the C658) probably need to be on the same IP network (most residences only have one) so your phone or table needs to be on your WLAN. On my PC the firewall flagged the app and I needed to approve it making connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 648 Old 01-13-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
^ So...I've done my updates (nav is a little tricky there. For everything else...you arrow in that direction. For example...if you want to change volume, from variable to fixed; it's below the volume control setting...and you arrow down to change it. With the firmware updates...it was below, in System Info; and so I arrowed down. But when it did nothing...I assumed, there was nothing to do. Turns out...you need to 'select' at that point; and even then...it seemed like 2 updates (not just reboots), to get the job done (and even then...you can keep running it. Might I suggest to NAD; if you're current, and someone tries to run an update...say "hey dude, you're good", lol).

And I did find the BluOS app...simply by RTFM. It's OK; still exploring it, and I'm not sure I should expect it to top ROON.

I still, see NO indication of DIRAC; but...as I've had one RTFM moment, I'll look some more.

All The Music In The World > Auralic Aries Mini > Musical Fidelity M2si > Dynaudio EMIT M10s
post #33 of 648 Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 253
from the nad website.....

The C 658 is also the first NAD stereo component to feature Dirac Live room correction, the most sophisticated and effective room correction available. Dirac corrects the impulse response of your speakers, in addition to the frequency response of your room, for a truly transparent window into the musical performance. When the room resonances are tamed and the transient response is corrected, the result is magical. You have never heard your speakers sound this invisible or this good! Dirac will become available via software update in late January 2019
mbroadus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 648 Old 01-13-2019, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post

The C 658 is also the first NAD stereo component to feature Dirac Live room correction, the most sophisticated and effective room correction available. Dirac corrects the impulse response of your speakers, in addition to the frequency response of your room, for a truly transparent window into the musical performance. When the room resonances are tamed and the transient response is corrected, the result is magical. You have never heard your speakers sound this invisible or this good! Dirac will become available via software update in late January 2019
Ah; RTFW

All The Music In The World > Auralic Aries Mini > Musical Fidelity M2si > Dynaudio EMIT M10s
post #35 of 648 Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I might add this to my system, really like the built in room correction.
post #36 of 648 Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Ah; RTFW
So What's the verdict on the sound quality then? Is it better than what you had? Can you share your impressions on what you tested etc.?

thanks
wassup likes this.
post #37 of 648 Old 01-15-2019, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocat5 View Post
So What's the verdict on the sound quality then? Is it better than what you had? Can you share your impressions on what you tested etc.?

thanks
Sorry Audiocat; not quite yet. Believe it or not...just one speaker, for now; for testing and set-up...because I need to secure some awfully long (balanced) ICs.

Won't be long; but don't expect a verdict like "better than I had". This is all part-downsizing. I had, some very sweet-sounding kit.

EDIT: Due Thursday

Last edited by CDLehner; 01-15-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #38 of 648 Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM

Resolved the spontaneous pausing

Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
I wanted to improve my streaming capability or use it as a component instead of a pre-amp.
  • Connected to 7.1 inputs (L+R+Sub) on Marantz 8003
  • Also connected the unbalanced to CD ports on 8003
  • Also connected wired ethernet and just the BT antenna
  • Did the BluOS upgrade
  • Installed BluOS app on tablet. Tried Tunein stations. These sounded good though had issue with one that sounded slower. Figured was the source station.

Saturday
  • Installed BluOS on a PC. Configured shares and Amazon Prime. Tablet didn't have way to enter text.
  • Played CD and HiRez FLAC files. All good.
  • Played Amazon prime album. Better than expected.
  • Configured various sources and settings on 658.

That evening sat down to watch football and listen to music. After a minute or so I started having spontaneous pauses in BluOS stream. Pressing play would start it for a varying number of seconds < couple minutes. That's what I'm working on now. Hoping its a SW issue with a straightforward fix. I was really pleased with the sound and it is a huge improvement in streaming.
There are three factory reset to default choices. When this happened I tried the BluOS reset (no change), the MCU reset (no change), then moved on.

Yesterday, I did the combined MCU+BluOS choice, followed by the BluOS upgrade sequence, and for good measure shutoff the power for 30 seconds. Since then is has played without the spontaneous pausing.

I am pleased with the SQ (replaces Oppo 95 as streamer). But the real win for me is the improved streaming capability of BluOS vs. DLNA/Oppo 95.
  • Filter selecting music by bit width (quality) > play the 96X24 copy instead of the CD copy
  • Gapless (at least no increase in gap vs. playing CD or album)
  • App is very responsive (though with my Android Intel Chip tablet no text/voice input)
  • Cover art
  • Internet streaming services (Amazon Prime in my case)
  • I'm still learning...
post #39 of 648 Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 79
A couple folks in the receiver forum thread have them already.
mbroadus and wassup like this.
post #40 of 648 Old 01-16-2019, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post

More RTFW https://support.nadelectronics.com/h...34-Dirac-Setup

Ah; first adopters

post #41 of 648 Old 01-17-2019, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 40
subscribed
i am very interested in sound quality opinions
streaming sq
file and formats playback sq
post #42 of 648 Old 01-18-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 430
@qirex - thanks for the heads up.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #43 of 648 Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Been curious about this component since my dealer emailed me several weeks ago about it. Could not find any reviews and I’m curious about everyone’s thoughts. I had been looking at the Naim Uniti Nova and close to pulling the trigger on a Hegel H360 integrated amp. Looking a product that has MQA support and would love to have a component that has Dirac and love the modularity options that NAD provides.

Have you guys figured out what DAC is in the C658? Someone mentioned ESS Saber so I wonder if it similar to the Oppo 205 Sabre DAC?
wassup likes this.

post #44 of 648 Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

L o n g ICs, are here; and things are "fully" set-up.

Very early impressions...are quite good. Let the listening begin!

Not going to get into DIRAC, until I reconfigure the room...which is part of the overall "experiment".

A Listening Room, than is more conducive...to relaxing, while listening to music; than purpose driven, to just plunk yourself down...in front of gear.
wassup likes this.

post #45 of 648 Old 01-19-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I was just going to ask...does anyone have theirs yet? Because I thought for sure they were ready; and after I placed my order...my dealer is telling me, a delay means mid-January...and that in fact, I'll have one of the first ones.

But...I decided to do an "official" thread, instead; because I'm sure considering the nature of the unit...there will be some set-up, functionality questions.

I'm very happy you created this thread . I'm also very interested in the Nad 658 as an upgrade to my existing preamp (emotiva ta-100). Just wondering if you could confirm the following. As stated in the specs, the USB port is only for a wireless add-on module, I cannot use this USB port to play music from a laptop via USB cable.

Thanks!
wassup likes this.
post #46 of 648 Old 01-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybutt View Post
I'm very happy you created this thread . I'm also very interested in the Nad 658 as an upgrade to my existing preamp (emotiva ta-100). Just wondering if you could confirm the following. As stated in the specs, the USB port is only for a wireless add-on module, I cannot use this USB port to play music from a laptop via USB cable.

Thanks!
There is a USB port on the back that you can put a USB stick in and use that as a source in BluOS. I haven't tried it yet. The hi rez FLAC files I have on USB are also on NAS. Thus far networking 96x24 files works well.

There is a modular option for USB that includes an asynch USB connection for connecting to a PC.

I don't recall anything about a wireless add on module. There is a USB dongle for plugging in the supplied microphone for DIRAC set up (when that becomes available). There is also a service mode micro or mini USB port for dealers.
post #47 of 648 Old 01-19-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There is a USB port on the back that you can put a USB stick in and use that as a source in BluOS. I haven't tried it yet. The hi rez FLAC files I have on USB are also on NAS. Thus far networking 96x24 files works well.

There is a modular option for USB that includes an asynch USB connection for connecting to a PC.

I don't recall anything about a wireless add on module. There is a USB dongle for plugging in the supplied microphone for DIRAC set up (when that becomes available). There is also a service mode micro or mini USB port for dealers.
I think, DIRAC is actually ready https://support.nadelectronics.com/h...34-Dirac-Setup

Sorry; you're right https://nadelectronics.com/dirac-live/

post #48 of 648 Old 01-20-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:

you mean you can´t connect a laptop via USB to send rendered files from say Audnirvana or iTunes? how about SPDIF or TOSLINK?
that does not seem right... that would be the most basic of functionality to include on this box. I am gonna contact NAD on this...

Last edited by wassup; 01-20-2019 at 06:25 AM.
post #49 of 648 Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Official NAD C658 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassup View Post
you mean you can´t connect a laptop via USB to send rendered files from say Audnirvana or iTunes? how about SPDIF or TOSLINK?

that does not seem right... that would be the most basic of functionality to include on this box. I am gonna contact NAD on this...

Exactly, I prefer direct wired usb connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #50 of 648 Old 01-20-2019, 09:49 AM

I speculated it might be a new ESS DAC or product

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Been curious about this component since my dealer emailed me several weeks ago about it. Could not find any reviews and I’m curious about everyone’s thoughts. I had been looking at the Naim Uniti Nova and close to pulling the trigger on a Hegel H360 integrated amp. Looking a product that has MQA support and would love to have a component that has Dirac and love the modularity options that NAD provides.

Have you guys figured out what DAC is in the C658? Someone mentioned ESS Saber so I wonder if it similar to the Oppo 205 Sabre DAC?
I am unwilling to take it apart to know for sure.

I wanted to know what DAC was used before buying. My googling tuned up ESS news article from May 2018 about integrating MQA in a future mobile DAC.

But the only indication of a product is from Jan 4th 2019 which they call a HW CODEC or the ES9068Q.
mbroadus likes this.
post #51 of 648 Old 01-20-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
There are coaxial and optical digital inputs.

Regarding the USB port I was providing what was in the manual. That is also where the optional modular USB unit the DD USB 2.0 is described.
post #52 of 648 Old 01-20-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know if this unit has an adjustable high-pass filter?
post #53 of 648 Old 01-20-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
... But the only indication of a product is from Jan 4th 2019 which they call a HW CODEC or the ES9068Q.
It *might* be that chip, but it's really close timing between the ESS announcement and the NAD shipping, although NAD could have been working with Beta hardware for the past year, and just received production chips in Q4 2018.

My guess is it's a similar DAC to the BluSound Node products, as NAD/BluSound has already implemented the software to MQA-enable that older chip.

I think we'll see the newly announced ESS chip in updates to the BluSound products later this year. And in a ton of other products from other vendors as well.

Jonathan
post #54 of 648 Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone else having issues with renaming input sources on their C 658?

I can rename one source and it persists across a power cycle, but any further edits are not saved...

Thx
post #55 of 648 Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are coaxial and optical digital inputs.

Regarding the USB port I was providing what was in the manual. That is also where the optional modular USB unit the DD USB 2.0 is described.

I would definitely buy one of the USB A - B modules.

Last edited by mbroadus; 01-21-2019 at 09:23 AM.
post #56 of 648 Old 01-21-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am unwilling to take it apart to know for sure.

I wanted to know what DAC was used before buying. My googling tuned up ESS news article from May 2018 about integrating MQA in a future mobile DAC.

But the only indication of a product is from Jan 4th 2019 which they call a HW CODEC or the ES9068Q.

My bad...I completely forgot that I took a pic of the oppo 205 info panel that indicates the DAC is ES9038PRO.

wassup likes this.

post #57 of 648 Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
My bad...I completely forgot that I took a pic of the oppo 205 info panel that indicates the DAC is ES9038PRO.
Oppop 205 info panel or NAD C658 info panel?
post #58 of 648 Old 01-21-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oppop 205 info panel or NAD C658 info panel?
Oppo 205
wassup likes this.

post #59 of 648 Old 01-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Oppo 205
i thought we were asking about the ESS chip in the NAD C 658? Is that also a ES9038Pro?
post #60 of 648 Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i thought we were asking about the ESS chip in the NAD C 658? Is that also a ES9038Pro?

We are...and that’s the question. We know the 658 has an ESS chip but not sure which one. I asked if it could be the same or similar to the ESS chip in the 205 now that Oppo is no more.

wassup likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
nad 658 , nad c658

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page