The Official NAD C658 Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 446Likes

post #1171 of 1211 Old 11-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
I know your setup is more complicated than others. But I don’t think adding additional components and complexity is going to help you here. Fundamentally, I still believe this to be a user error issue. If you want more bass when listening to stereo music, then why don’t you just boost the target curve in those frequencies to achieve the desired results? When I read your forum posts I often ask myself if you really understand how to use Dirac Live. I know the online tutorials for Dirac aren’t the most detailed. Which is why I have referred people to the miniDSP instructions in the past. Have you read them and do you understand them?

https://www.minidsp.com/images/docum...r%20Manual.pdf

This has been debated in this thread. AFAIK there hasn’t been a conclusive answer to this question of what happens when you select 1 sub or 2 subs in BlueOS -> Settings -> Player -> Audio. I don’t have two subs and REW to confirm and NAD has not been forthcoming in official communications.
When I edit the curve to increase bass for the subwoofers, the "corrected " curve fails to follow the target I set. When it does partially follow, it won't boost the subwoofer levels, instead, it lowers the levels to the stereo speakers, resulting in a low overall level and still lacking bass.

And yes, I'm not familiar with Dirac and very confused about how it works. I am used to Audyssey 32XT, in which no user intervention is required. Audyssey not only calculates the PEQ filters, it automatically adjusts levels to all channels and distances. I still do not understand why the user is required to test/adjust the test tones levels at the beginning of each calibration! Does the volume leveling affect the final results in any way?

Does Dirac live corrects delays to each speaker? According to REW it does not or it does it very badly. After Audyssey calibration, by dual sub curve if almost flat. After Dirac live calibration I still have nulls...

In other NAD products like the t758 the user must manually calibrate levels and distances to each cjannel before running Dirac... This is ridiculous... Doesn't Dirac live adjust SPL using a target level like 75db at 0db dial like Audyssey?

As for the stereo subs, in the bluos audio settings, there are sound modes to chose from (stereo, mono.lefet/right). I've tested those modes, and they have zero effect on the, main speakers! Whatever mode I select it remains on stereo. I did not check the effect on the subwoofers. I will do it and report back. Maybe we're lucky and those settings are for the subwoofers, only not marked correctly...

Last edited by EB1000; 11-28-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1211 Old 11-28-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just got the C658 and I bought the HDM-2 card.

So far it’s ok but a bit hard on high frequency but I will burn in for a week playing music nonstop.

I also got the HDMI card and I’m a bit confused on how to setup.

My setup

TV
Cable box
Media player
Xbox one
C658

I would like to be able to play my media player on the TV and also on my stereo passing through C658.

Is there a way to have the possibility to have the video and audio only on my TV if I use the C658 HDMI card ?

Because late at night sometimes I watch movies but I don’t want to use the stereo. I bought the HDMI card because I thought I could bypassed it abs pass the signal directly on the TV (audio & video)

Maybe I should only use the TV optical out to the NAD. I think I bought the HDMI card for nothing for what I wanted to do.

Any help to properly use the HDMI card would be appreciated
post #1173 of 1211 Old 11-28-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain P View Post
I just got the C658 and I bought the HDM-2 card.

So far it’s ok but a bit hard on high frequency but I will burn in for a week playing music nonstop.

I also got the HDMI card and I’m a bit confused on how to setup.

My setup

TV
Cable box
Media player
Xbox one
C658

I would like to be able to play my media player on the TV and also on my stereo passing through C658.

Is there a way to have the possibility to have the video and audio only on my TV if I use the C658 HDMI card ?

Because late at night sometimes I watch movies but I don’t want to use the stereo. I bought the HDMI card because I thought I could bypassed it abs pass the signal directly on the TV (audio & video)

Maybe I should only use the TV optical out to the NAD. I think I bought the HDMI card for nothing for what I wanted to do.

Any help to properly use the HDMI card would be appreciated
With your setup I highly recommend an AV receiver. Even the most basic model from Marantz or Denon with a basic 5.1 speaker system using small satellites you could install next to your C658 based hifi system. You can then feed the avr's hdmi out to your C658 hdmi card if you want.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1211 Old 11-28-2019, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1000 View Post
With your setup I highly recommend an AV receiver. Even the most basic model from Marantz or Denon with a basic 5.1 speaker system using small satellites you could install next to your C658 based hifi system. You can then feed the avr's hdmi out to your C658 hdmi card if you want.

I'm going to be more clear on my setup and the way i wanted to use the C658.

I have Classé audio preamp and amplifier. My preamp has a manual volume knob. At the moment for testing I connect the C658 directly to my Preamp for burn-in. Then I will use the NAD C658 (XLR out) directly to my Classe Audio Amp and use it as a stereo preamp. I only have 2 speakers and i'm not planning on 5.1 setup with subs.

The main reason I bought the Nad C658 was for a DAC/streamer/preamp for music listening and sometimes movies in stereo.

I bought the HDMI card because I tough I could bypass the NAD when I only want to use the TV speaker at night. And have the possibility to use the NAD DAC when I want to watch a movie and have the sound coming out from my stereo speaker (not TV speaker).

Looks like if I connect all my HDMI device directly to the NAD (HDMI) and the HDMI out to the TV I need to have the NAD power ON and I have no sound going to the TV and I need to use my stereo amp and speaker.

I though I could bypass the video and audio from the NAD to the TV. Maybe their is a way to do this.
post #1175 of 1211 Old 11-28-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
When I edit the curve to increase bass for the subwoofers, the "corrected " curve fails to follow the target I set. When it does partially follow, it won't boost the subwoofer levels, instead, it lowers the levels to the stereo speakers, resulting in a low overall level and still lacking bass.
Sounds like user error to me. I prefer to use the low level subwoofer outputs on the C658 and control them separately from the main speakers, with a separate target curve for the subs with appropriate EQ levels. But if you insist on connecting your subs via your main speaker high level inputs, then you’ll have to do more work to get them to sound good
as you’re fighting the algorithm by telling it your main stereo speaker and your sub are part of the same loudspeaker when they’re not. And you’re losing half of what makes Dirac magical. See my comments above about REL.

Quote:
And yes, I'm not familiar with Dirac and very confused about how it works. I am used to Audyssey 32XT, in which no user intervention is required. Audyssey not only calculates the PEQ filters, it automatically adjusts levels to all channels and distances. I still do not understand why the user is required to test/adjust the test tones levels at the beginning of each calibration! Does the volume leveling affect the final results in any way?
Dirac is not a one button press solution. With great power comes great responsibility. I recommend you get smart on Dirac before buying more equipment that won’t fix your problems.

Quote:
Does Dirac live corrects delays to each speaker? According to REW it does not or it does it very badly. After Audyssey calibration, by dual sub curve if almost flat. After Dirac live calibration I still have nulls...
Yes. Dirac is great but it cannot fix all room modes in all rooms and all systems. If you didn’t have Audyssey I’d question your setup and use of Dirac. But since you claim to achieve good results with Audyssey, then I come back to Dirac user error as the most likely culprit.

Quote:
D As for the stereo subs, in the bluos audio settings, there are sound modes to chose from (stereo, mono.lefet/right). I've tested those modes, and they have zero effect on the, main speakers! Whatever mode I select it remains on stereo. I did not check the effect on the subwoofers. I will do it and report back. Maybe we're lucky and those settings are for the subwoofers, only not marked correctly...
Sound modes are used when grouping multiple players into stereo pairs, for example, when using multiple wireless speakers like the Bluesound Pulse Mini 2i. Or for multi-room listening. It’s not for a single player like the C658.

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en...bile_site=true

https://support.bluos.net/hc/en-us/s...6387-Multiroom
post #1176 of 1211 Old 11-29-2019, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The BluOS app connectivity issues are driving me crazy. I found some good info on the Bluesound help center community site about router settings that effect this. A product support manager there was describing how BluOS relies on multicasting and some routers have defaults not setup for this. So I got access to my Spectrum provided router and found that there is a setting for multicasting that was not enabled. I also enabled UPnP which was recommended. I restarted the router and NAD. Seems to be working well thus far. I've connected to the NAD on several devices a number of times, even after putting the unit in standby which seemed to be one of the 'triggers' previously. I was also able to wake up the NAD from standby by hitting play on the music that was already cued. I don't recall being able to do that before, but I could be wrong. I'm cautiously optimistic.
post #1177 of 1211 Old 11-29-2019, 05:53 AM

Here is the Bluesound discussion I mentioned.

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en...age=1#comments
post #1178 of 1211 Old 11-29-2019, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, did you buy this new from an authorized NAD dealer? Or is it a gray market unit?
Its a official NAD dealer. The information i get today. The dealer has received a new one and install/upgrade it this weekend, the NAD importer of the Benelux comes tuesday to pick up the defect one. If all goes well i'm very pleased with the service. Despite the first one was defect.
post #1179 of 1211 Old 11-29-2019, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Don't know what dual sub outs are

Quote:
Thanks. You are right about the DEQ. When I turned it off both NAD and Denon sound equally anemic to me. This could be the main problem. I am used to DEQ on which is absent in NAD. I am going to try something which will even complicate my setup further. I've placed an order for Minidsp 2x4 HD which I'm going to connect downstream the NAD's subwoofer out to my SB2000s and use it to try and mimic the DEQ effect post Dirac Live calibration.

Are the C658 's subwoofers limited to dual mono by hardware or any chance for them to become stereo in a future firmware update? If the minidsp will work for me, I will consider getting a second one for the Denon LFE downstream.

Since subwoofers cannot produce hiss, there should not be an overprocrssing issue adding another dsp device into the pipiline..

I don't know what the sub outs do currently. Suspect the Dirac bass mgmt. will provide more control though what is unknown to public (as far as I know).

I think you care about bass given what you said about DEQ. mthomas47 has a detailed guide about sub calibration and bass preferences. It does a great job covering subwoofer set up and what happens during automatic mulit-ch setup and Audyssey setting filters. There is a section on DEQ you might find informative. Besides DEQ this is a comprehensive collection of information that can convey nuances one might overlook.

For instance when a AVR or AVP does and auto setup, he explains that set up (not necessarily Audyssey) sets the channel levels so all channels will play 75dB at the first mic position. And sets distance (timing) so that all channels will play in sync at the main listening position (the first mic position). Eventually, Audyssey (or whatever EQ) will set filters and so on ... . The nuance is Audyssey is part of the set up that builds on other setup, but from user perspective it looks like you are configuring Audyssey.

Stereo has a channel level adjustment, its the balance control. There is just the L & R channels. Generally, there isn't any timing adjustments. Now that more stereo devices are adding sub or sub channels there is an argument for more controls for levels and timing. We are living at a time where vendors are starting to do this. FWIW, earlier you asked if Dirac set levels and timing. I think the answer is yes as I got a precise stereo imaging when I made the MLP a non traditional sweet spot during Dirac configuration.

I am unaware that the Minidsp 2x4 HD has any dynamic eq capability. It does have ability to independently set distance (timing) of each channels which can be used to improve bass (avoid cancellation dips). This video explains how someone improved multiple sub integration with a MiniDSP and REW - Video . So, if you improve your bass you should be happier with either Denon or NAD, the NAD at least at some volume level. But only the Denon with DEQ will dynamically increase or decrease bass at different volume levels. There was a suggestion in this forum to make different Dirac target curves for different loudness levels. I.e., for low volumes a signficant bass boost perhaps a little treble boost and for loud or close to ref listening small bass boost (like Dirac target and treble roll off). With the other three slots you'd make variations suitable for different volumes.

I would still recommend trying a simple 2-ch set up to baseline in your mind what the NAD C658 and BluOS or your phono could sound like. If you get to a satisfying experience that way, you can then proceed to integrate everything else. And should expect to get there w/o compromising how the NAD could sound. Obviously if other members of your family want watch movies during this time, that may make the suggestion impossible/impractical.

I was curious what you are looking at when you say the Denon calibration looks goods (freer of peaks ad dips). You compare it I think to the Dirac live display showing combined point measurements and the "corrected". You suggest that when making a bass boost (changing a handle or point on the target curve) that the corrected curve doesn't reflect the change or change is inadequate. Are the Audyssey observations coming from the Denon. If so, I doubt that is showing a measured response. You really need to use a tool like REW to measure the room and audio gear after the calibration. Granted if you are using REW you could still see different frequency charts (NAD and Denon) though dominating room issues should still have similar effects (dips neither EQ could fix for instance).

If you aren't measuring post calibration with a common tool, then the Denon might be less flat than you think, but because you are using DEQ it sounds better to you (at least over a range of volumes).

If DEQ on Denon is working for you, you might try using the bass control on the NAD. I think it boosts at 100 hz which is reasonably low. I'm suggesting this for lower volume levels. Really more of an experiment or exploration into what you like to hear. If you do use it be mindful it is on when listening at louder volumes.

I do think for Dirac, you would be better to separate the subs into their own group separate from speakers (and connected to sub outs). If the combined measure for subs shows a big dip, then Dirac (and presumably any EQ system) will not be able to fix it, but will try to improve it. You would need to try other things like changing listening location, sub locations, speakers, room treatments, ect. .

Sorry for so many words and any mistakes I made.
EB1000 likes this.

Greg
post #1180 of 1211 Old 11-29-2019, 03:47 PM

I have a QNAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrington View Post
Yes, I've been thinking that is probably a better way to go, with hardwired ethernet. Plus I sort of want to setup a personal cloud for the family anyway. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to remove the usb drive to add files. But I've had no trouble with the speed. If I add files and replace it, the files are all showing in the BluOS app almost instantly. I'm happy it's available and allowed me to get setup and running quickly.

What NAS are you using? Any issues setting it up? Is the C658 simultaneously connected to your wireless network via wifi and to the NAS via ethernet? Thanks
I have a QNAP TS-453A, but if music repository is all you want there are lesser choices that will work fine.

I work in IT and didn't have any major issues (other than my paranoia of exposing personal data outside the home). Many NAS are reasonably easy to set up. I'd suggest sticking with a name brand like Synology or QNAP for more complicated ones. The vendors know they are selling into consumer market and want their products to be successful.

The C658 will connect to the NAS just like it would to your computer if you were sharing music files from there. You basically identify the computer/NAS and supply a username/password. The NAS will likely come configured with with shares/folders and whether you configured access username/passwords will be a choice. It might be as easy as copying the files into a share that exists for easy access by any device on your network. The NAS benefit over the computer is less power and being able to wake quickly when contacted vs. having to turn the computer on. I suppose more expensive ones may be bit faster to wake as well as have more features (not related to sharing music files on you LAN).

It is my experience that when NAD physical Ethernet is connected the wireless will not work. So in my environment, the NAS and the NAD are wired to home LAN. The Verizon provided router is also the wireless access point and it is wired to home LAN and also the Verizon ISP. The tablet I use as a controller is wireless. So, from the NAD C658 perspective, the tablet, the NAS, router to Internet content all communicate thru the wired connection.

Greg
post #1181 of 1211 Old 11-29-2019, 04:25 PM

You might be better off w/o the HDMI module

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain P View Post
I'm going to be more clear on my setup and the way i wanted to use the C658.

I have Classé audio preamp and amplifier. My preamp has a manual volume knob. At the moment for testing I connect the C658 directly to my Preamp for burn-in. Then I will use the NAD C658 (XLR out) directly to my Classe Audio Amp and use it as a stereo preamp. I only have 2 speakers and i'm not planning on 5.1 setup with subs.

The main reason I bought the Nad C658 was for a DAC/streamer/preamp for music listening and sometimes movies in stereo.

I bought the HDMI card because I tough I could bypass the NAD when I only want to use the TV speaker at night. And have the possibility to use the NAD DAC when I want to watch a movie and have the sound coming out from my stereo speaker (not TV speaker).

Looks like if I connect all my HDMI device directly to the NAD (HDMI) and the HDMI out to the TV I need to have the NAD power ON and I have no sound going to the TV and I need to use my stereo amp and speaker.

I though I could bypass the video and audio from the NAD to the TV. Maybe their is a way to do this.
If you want times where you play HDMI audio on the TV only, then you need to use the TV as the HDMI switcher.

That said, I think the NAD HDMI module has 3 inputs and one output. So you should be able to connect the output to the TV and get sound from TV while avoid amp sound by leaving it off. Bit of an hassle with the different things to turn on and off.

An issue that may matter to you is the NAD HDMI doesn't decode the multi-channel protocols. You can probably configure your HDMI sources to decode them and send PCM. If you are using TV to decode them now, the you need a path from the TV back to NAD with decoded signal (the description says it supports HDMI-ARC which might do this for you).

I think you might be best off just getting a stereo signal back from TV to C658 for when you want to put TV sound thru stereo. You could opt to connect HDMI sources to TV and also to the NAD with digital or analog connections. But there will still be a switching effort. If TV is good quality then the output from it to the NAD is easiest and sound quality should be similar to what you get now assuming you have TV connected to preamp.

One use case where a HDMI connection would be useful if you have a BD player that can play SACD, DVD-Audio, BD concert discs. My Oppo 95 limits hi-rez digital output to HDMI only (only get CD quality though digital outputs). If you have a player like this and it has two HDMI outputs then connecting the 2nd one to the NAD would like you play they hi-res discs through NAD DAC to you amp. There may be other similar cases, but if they don't have dual outputs it is more of a challenge to try and run the HDMI thru NAD first and it at least will have to be on to use them even with TV sound only.

Greg
post #1182 of 1211 Old 11-30-2019, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I ordered a refurbished unit for a discount from Safe & Sound. I look forward to hearing it on Friday.
post #1183 of 1211 Old 11-30-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
It is my experience that when NAD physical Ethernet is connected the wireless will not work. So in my environment, the NAS and the NAD are wired to home LAN. The Verizon provided router is also the wireless access point and it is wired to home LAN and also the Verizon ISP. The tablet I use as a controller is wireless. So, from the NAD C658 perspective, the tablet, the NAS, router to Internet content all communicate thru the wired connection.
I like this setup and may move this way, getting the ethernet cable to my hi-fi is the limiter, otherwise I'd do it now. How is the NAD behavior on hardwired ethernet? Is the connection stable, does it clean up any of the standby buggy-ness? Any special steps to get the BluOS apps to connect when on ethernet or does it simply recognize its there?

Thanks for sharing a lot of good info.
post #1184 of 1211 Old 11-30-2019, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I like this setup and may move this way, getting the ethernet cable to my hi-fi is the limiter, otherwise I'd do it now. How is the NAD behavior on hardwired ethernet? Is the connection stable, does it clean up any of the standby buggy-ness? Any special steps to get the BluOS apps to connect when on ethernet or does it simply recognize its there?

Thanks for sharing a lot of good info.
Prior to using a physical ethernet cable, I experienced what seems to be various bugs with the unit. For example
  • the unit would randomly forget that I had a subwoofer
  • the unit would randomly lose its WIFI connection to the network. The only way for the BluOS apt to see the unit again was for me to toggle the unit back to standby and turn it on again.
  • More often than not, I would have to go through the entire process again to re-establish the WIFI connection between the unit and the network just to play spotify. Many times, the BluOS apt would not even see the unit.

The last 2 bullets were very aggravating, especially considering the amount of money I paid for this unit. None of my other devices had problems connecting to the network and staying connected.

Eventually, I gave up and hardwired the unit to the network. After that, it's been rock solid and I've really enjoyed the unit. But I realize, connecting through an ethernet cable is not an option for everybody and why should it only work via an Ethernet cable. One of the reasons I bought this unit was because of it's advertised WIFI capabiltity but it certainly had not worked out for me.

Also, after using ethernet cable, I didn't have to do anything special for the BluOS apt to see the unit. The apt simply recognizes the unit on the network.

Good luck!

Last edited by notmybutt; 12-01-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #1185 of 1211 Old 12-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi,
Can the C658 display the current sample rate of a song?
post #1186 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 04:35 AM

Dirac doesn't show corrected subwoofer curve

Hi all,

For some reason in Dirac I don't see the corrected data on the plot of my subwoofer. It seems like the sub is being filtered properly. But I sure would like to see the corrected plot.

Are others experiencing this as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub plot.png
Views:	22
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	2648704  
post #1187 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

For some reason in Dirac I don't see the corrected data on the plot of my subwoofer. It seems like the sub is being filtered properly. But I sure would like to see the corrected plot.

I believe this is because you’ve only got one subwoofer. It works for your stereo speakers because you’ve got two channels. It doesn’t work for a single sub because that’s just one channel.

Quote:
Spectrum
Displays the average of all magnitude responses. If the “Measured” checkbox on the left is on, the average of the uncorrected measurements is displayed. If the “Corrected” checkbox on the right is on, the average of the response after correction is displayed.
post #1188 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I keep seeing people talking about a separate volume control for the sub output when setting the initial calibration level is this only on the PC setup? I am using an Android tablet and do not have that.

Music System, NAD C658, Arcam P1 Monoblocks, KEF R700 Speakers, Wireworld Cables
Movie Room, LG OLED65C9, Panasonic UB820, Marantz 8802A, Krell S-1500 7 Channel, Carver A 705X amp, M&K MX 350 Sub, M&K S150's front, 4 M&K S85's for surrounds, sound treatments
post #1189 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroman View Post
I keep seeing people talking about a separate volume control for the sub output when setting the initial calibration level is this only on the PC setup? I am using an Android tablet and do not have that.
Yes, the mobile apps assume one volume cal works for all speakers. The desktop app allows for setting all speakers, which is great for setting the gain on a sub so that you match the mains from the get go. So if you have good ears and set the gain so that it's balanced with mains by ear, then the one volume cal will probably work just fine.
post #1190 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I believe this is because you’ve only got one subwoofer. It works for your stereo speakers because you’ve got two channels. It doesn’t work for a single sub because that’s just one channel.
Thanks for the feedback, seems strange but possible.

Where did you get that 'quote' about the spectrum from? A manual of some sort? Please share. Thanks
post #1191 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
After more thought, I don't think this is correct. I believe the 'average' they are talking about in your quote is the average of the test points. There is no averaging of the left and right channels as both are displayed independently.

I think the missing sub data is a bug in the software. Can anyone see the corrected sub output in a 2.1 setup? Or any setup with a subwoofer? Trying to determine if this is a systemic problem or something just a few of us experience. I think it's still filtering the sub output, I'll do some more specific testing to confirm.
post #1192 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Where did you get that 'quote' about the spectrum from? A manual of some sort? Please share. Thanks

https://www.minidsp.com/images/docum...r%20Manual.pdf
post #1193 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I believe the 'average' they are talking about in your quote is the average of the test points.

Maybe you’re right. I’ll take a look at mine later when I get home.
post #1194 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroman View Post
I am using an Android tablet and do not have that.
I prefer the desktop app better than the mobile app. It gives you more fidelity over the controls and it’s easier to understand the measurement positions. Sadly, one you start a project in one app it is virtually impossible to continue in the other app. Which means redoing all your frequency response measurements again.
post #1195 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
After more thought, I don't think this is correct. I believe the 'average' they are talking about in your quote is the average of the test points. There is no averaging of the left and right channels as both are displayed independently.

I think the missing sub data is a bug in the software. Can anyone see the corrected sub output in a 2.1 setup? Or any setup with a subwoofer? Trying to determine if this is a systemic problem or something just a few of us experience. I think it's still filtering the sub output, I'll do some more specific testing to confirm.
I can on my crappy Android tablet

Music System, NAD C658, Arcam P1 Monoblocks, KEF R700 Speakers, Wireworld Cables
Movie Room, LG OLED65C9, Panasonic UB820, Marantz 8802A, Krell S-1500 7 Channel, Carver A 705X amp, M&K MX 350 Sub, M&K S150's front, 4 M&K S85's for surrounds, sound treatments
post #1196 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Same problem here. Revert back to v2.2.3. It's a bug in latest vetsion

post #1197 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 02:52 PM

Exclamation Need someone to confirm a serious bug I discovered

Hi

I was always bothered by the relatively low subwoofer output, but today I found the real problem for my complaints.

I have Line 1 set to fixed volume at -15db and analog bypass set to on. Line 1 is used as HT bypass connected to my Denon AVR.

When Dirac is turned off, while using Line 1 fixed analog bypassed, the Line 1 volume is reduced by 12db!!! This makes no sense as it is set to bypass the DSP, and Dirac live on/off almost have no SPL effect on any digital input. When I turn analog bypass to off, then the bug resolves (Dirac on or off has no effect on Line 1 volume level).

I need for someone to confirm this, please.

1. Connect any analog source to Line 1 and set it to any fixed vol level you want. Turn analog bypass on, auto-sense to off, auto-standby to off.

Now play the Line 1 source and enable/disable Dirac live. Can you hear a huge volume difference?

This is the main reason that the C658 subwoofer output sounds too low for me when compared to the Denon LFE. Because when the reduced Line 1 level when DL is off, the Denon's front channels SPL reduced, making the subwoofer level appear too loud on the Denon compared to the C568.

I need to know if this is a bug or limited to my unit.

Thanks
post #1198 of 1211 Old 12-03-2019, 03:19 PM

License error

Hi all, so I got win 10 machine loaded dirac and re ran the capture and saw all of the great things missing on the Android app but when I ask it to process the data to make the filter I get a license error. I logged out of the android app and have no issue logging into the PC version WTF?

post #1199 of 1211 Old 12-05-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Hi

I was always bothered by the relatively low subwoofer output, but today I found the real problem for my complaints.

I have Line 1 set to fixed volume at -15db and analog bypass set to on. Line 1 is used as HT bypass connected to my Denon AVR.

When Dirac is turned off, while using Line 1 fixed analog bypassed, the Line 1 volume is reduced by 12db!!! This makes no sense as it is set to bypass the DSP, and Dirac live on/off almost have no SPL effect on any digital input. When I turn analog bypass to off, then the bug resolves (Dirac on or off has no effect on Line 1 volume level).

I need for someone to confirm this, please.

1. Connect any analog source to Line 1 and set it to any fixed vol level you want. Turn analog bypass on, auto-sense to off, auto-standby to off.

Now play the Line 1 source and enable/disable Dirac live. Can you hear a huge volume difference?

This is the main reason that the C658 subwoofer output sounds too low for me when compared to the Denon LFE. Because when the reduced Line 1 level when DL is off, the Denon's front channels SPL reduced, making the subwoofer level appear too loud on the Denon compared to the C568.

I need to know if this is a bug or limited to my unit.

Thanks
Can someone who have a source connected to line 1 or 2 and Dirac live enabled, please check this for me and report back? All he have to do is play the analog source and switch analog bypass on and then off. Let me know if you hear a volume difference.

I must know if my unit is faulty before sending it back. NAD support are not aware of this issue which raises my suspension that I have a bad unit.

Thanks

post #1200 of 1211 Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Dirac fix

So it turns out my issue with the license was my computer clock was off by an hour dirac leases the license for 1 hour so it grab the license and then it expired in 1 second.

The results I got with the PC version are much better had to reduce the mains by 8dB to match the sub

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
nad 658 , nad c658

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page