The Official NAD C658 Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 500Likes

post #1351 of 1569 Old 01-23-2020, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi folks
I would like to use my C658 just only as a source. I own another preamplifier and I want to use it to preamplification signal from the C658.
Unfortunately, I can't set my C658 as a source only. In the menu I set the output level as fixed (through the app in my iOS phone or app in my Mackbook) and I have to decrease gain. It doesn't work. When I push the volume control on the remote or on the unit, fixed volume turns off and sound is mute. After that the signal is on the basic output level, it means too high to use in my other preamp. In the other words, the volume control is not baypassed.
I also tried to fix output volume on BluOS input, but it doesn't work too. When I set the level to for example -15db, after a few second it returns to 0db gain. I do not understand, because when I do the same on the other inputs (like optical or phono), everything is ok and the set level remindes on the setting position.
Please, can you explain me a method I can use to correct connection with baypassed volume function in C658?
I used balanced preout output.
Thank you all for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1569 Old 01-23-2020, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVG74 View Post
Hi folks
I would like to use my C658 just only as a source. I own another preamplifier and I want to use it to preamplification signal from the C658.
Unfortunately, I can't set my C658 as a source only. In the menu I set the output level as fixed (through the app in my iOS phone or app in my Mackbook) and I have to decrease gain. It doesn't work. When I push the volume control on the remote or on the unit, fixed volume turns off and sound is mute. After that the signal is on the basic output level, it means too high to use in my other preamp. In the other words, the volume control is not baypassed.
I also tried to fix output volume on BluOS input, but it doesn't work too. When I set the level to for example -15db, after a few second it returns to 0db gain. I do not understand, because when I do the same on the other inputs (like optical or phono), everything is ok and the set level remindes on the setting position.
Please, can you explain me a method I can use to correct connection with baypassed volume function in C658?
I used balanced preout output.
Thank you all for any advice

While possible, using the C658 as a pure source is not recommended. You can set all sources to have a fixed volume, but this will have some impact on signal to noise ratio, and you won't be able to take full advantage of Dirac live functionality. Plus, the current firmware has some bugs related to fixed volume settings. The volume may revert back to either 0db or lower settings like -20db.

What is the preamp model you are currently using?
post #1353 of 1569 Old 01-23-2020, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1000 View Post
NTFS hdd. Music files in FLAC format are recommended.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
How well does it work with AIFF files?

Being Mac based I have years and years worth of ripped files in that format....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 1569 Old 01-23-2020, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eleven View Post
How well does it work with AIFF files?

Being Mac based I have years and years worth of ripped files in that format....
It should work just as well as with FLAC. AIFF is on the device list of supported high resolution audio formats, along with MQA, FLAC and WAV.
MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG, WMA-L, ALAC, OPUS, are also supported.

I would guess most use cases are covered by these.

NAD C658 >
> Hypex UCD400HG/HxR > Dali Mentor 6
> BK XXLS400 FF

Last edited by KarVi; 01-23-2020 at 10:30 PM.
post #1355 of 1569 Old 01-24-2020, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help Please :
My C658 is connected to two Monoblocks via xls cables.
Today after turning ON I only hear from one speaker. ( left )
After swapping between the two xlr's , still hearing from the same left speaker.
Any advice will be appreciated
post #1356 of 1569 Old 01-24-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenza View Post
Help Please :

My C658 is connected to two Monoblocks via xls cables.

Today after turning ON I only hear from one speaker. ( left )

After swapping between the two xlr's , still hearing from the same left speaker.

Any advice will be appreciated
Your test indicates that the problem is with your left amplifier not the C658. Try and physically swap the speakers connected to the amps.

post #1357 of 1569 Old 01-24-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Your test indicates that the problem is with your left amplifier not the C658. Try and physically swap the speakers connected to the amps.

Thanks
It now seems that one mono block is causing the issue
The mono block is 15 years old ( Cyrus mono x )
Worth fixing?
Thanks
post #1358 of 1569 Old 01-24-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks

It now seems that one mono block is causing the issue

The mono block is 15 years old ( Cyrus mono x )

Worth fixing?

Thanks
I don't know, but I can recommend a better dual mono blocks option for very cheap price. I'd go with Hypex based class d modules. There are many options available. For 400$ per one block you can get a 500W amplifier.

freedomgli likes this.
post #1359 of 1569 Old 01-24-2020, 04:05 AM

Quote:
I don't know, but I can recommend a better dual mono blocks option for very cheap price. I'd go with Hypex based class d modules. There are many options available. For 400$ per one block you can get a 500W amplifier.

Look for this model

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M500NC

It can can deliver 500W into 4 ohms and 250W into 8 ohms with less than 0.01% thd. Two units will cost you 1000$ including vat and shipping.

post #1360 of 1569 Old 01-24-2020, 04:30 AM

Thanks
It’s hard to buy without listening.
Also, sound color matching is important.
Without money consideration:
Do you recommend Mcintosh?
Thanks
post #1361 of 1569 Old 01-24-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks
Thanks
I've heard that they are good, but I only use class-d amplification. The Emotiva PA-1 monobloks may also be an option for you. They are based on Icepower 300AS1 class-d

https://emotiva.com/products/pa-1

The C568's Dirac live can compensate for any tonal difference between amplifiers.

If you want really high-end but more expensive, than look for purifi class-d amps:

https://www.apollonaudio.com/purifi-...dio-monoblock/

These will outperform any class AB or class A amps for the same price range and beyond...
post #1362 of 1569 Old 01-24-2020, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I am just tossing this out there if nobody has checked recently. I contacted both Dirac and NAD in regard to future Bass Management support on c658.

Dirac's response (paraphrased), our engineers are working closely with NAD, however, I should ask NAD directly; they (Dirac) have no control over what ultimately is or is not supported.

I then contacted NAD and the two key portions of their response is the following:
"Our development team is working directly with Dirac to support Dirac Bass Management in a future firmware update."
"...you can rest assured we will be supporting this feature in the near future."

For me, I am dancing like Snoopy with anticipation!
post #1363 of 1569 Old 01-24-2020, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
That's what I did. I repurposed two YG Acoustics Studio Sub amplifiers that once powered the bottom cabinets of some very expensive Kipod speakers. Hypex built custom UCD400 based modules for YG who then added awesome power supplies and their own filters and hardware controls for gain, phase, EQ and crossover. Right now I'm running them as full-range for my main stereo speakers. But they're very versatile and could be used to bi-amp larger speakers or passive subs.

post #1364 of 1569 Old 01-25-2020, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Morris View Post
I hooked up my C658 today... had to pull my whole system apart so it was several hours of work. I haven't run DIRAC yet, but here are my observations so far. I'm running 2x Schiit Aegir in monoblock configuration that I purchased at the same time. My goal was to improve my 2 channel listening; my Denon AVR-X4400H is fine for TV and movies but I wanted more from music.

- Setting up BluOS and adding my Tidal account and my NAS music drive was easy and straightforward. The interface feels less intuitive than Sonos but I'll get used to it I'm sure.
- I can't tell if I'm hearing the NAD, the Schiit, or a combination of both, but the imaging and soundstage of my LS50s is vastly improved. I've been using the same tracks to evaluate audio systems for 30 years, so I'm very familiar with how they normally sound.
- There may be some of the brightness that people have mentioned, but I need to listen more to be sure. I'm certainly hearing more detail than before.
- My main nitpick is that Analog Bypass and Dirac on/off are global settings, as opposed to assigned by input. This is really annoying because it means I have to select those things when I switch from TV/movie watching to audio only. My Denon and my previous Anthem gear allow room correction to be set for each input.

If there were a shortcut on the remote, or something to program into my Harmony remote, it would be less annoying, but so far I haven't found such a control setting.

I'll provide more comments once I've lived with it some more. My SVS SB-3000 arrived damaged, so I have to wait a few days for a replacement... probably won't run Dirac until next weekend.
Curious to hear your impressions after you hook up the replacement sub and run Dirac. Your setup is similar to what I intend to have.
post #1365 of 1569 Old 01-25-2020, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I’m not sure if this is a bug or not. I ran Audyssey on my Denon with the NAD set to fixed volume and analog bypass. It measured my fronts as full range which leads me to believe that analog bypass did not disable the subwoofer output from the NAD, which is potentially problematic. Hmmmm.
post #1366 of 1569 Old 01-25-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I’m not sure if this is a bug or not. I ran Audyssey on my Denon with the NAD set to fixed volume and analog bypass. It measured my fronts as full range which leads me to believe that analog bypass did not disable the subwoofer output from the NAD, which is potentially problematic. Hmmmm.
Analog bypass only bypasses the ADC/DAC in the chain, but other analog processing remains active. Subwoofes are active including crossover settings, as well as tone controls. But they are now implemented in analog domain.

Also, you may notice about 12db difference between analog bypass on/off. This is also a major problem. Can you please verify it as well? Also, can you hear scratching from subwoofers output when selecting analog input while disconnecting the RCA cables from the selected analog input (line 1 or 2)? Please check and report back

Thanks
post #1367 of 1569 Old 01-25-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Analog bypass only bypasses the ADC/DAC in the chain, but other analog processing remains active. Subwoofers are active including crossover settings, as well as tone controls. But they are now implemented in analog domain.

Also, you may notice about 12db difference between analog bypass on/off. This is also a major problem. Can you please verify it as well? Also, can you hear scratching from subwoofers output when selecting analog input while disconnecting the RCA cables from the selected analog input (line 1 or 2)? Please check and report back

Thanks
Interesting and super annoying... that means when switching from TV to Music I have to disengage analog direct, re-engage subwoofer and crossover, and possible enable/disable Dirac (although I would hope that analog direct already takes care of that). This is not a 'real' cinema bypass and is a pretty crappy implementation. Since I'm lazy and have the Main L/R set to 80hz in the Denon, I may just live with double crossovers for Movies/TV, etc.

I don't have any volume difference between bypass on/off. I'm using XLR connections if that helps. I don't have any scratching or subwoofer volume issues (so far). Will report more after running Dirac.

Last edited by Craig Morris; 01-25-2020 at 09:40 AM.
post #1368 of 1569 Old 01-25-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Interesting and super annoying... that means when switching from TV to Music I have to disengage analog direct, re-engage subwoofer and crossover, and possible enable/disable Dirac (although I would hope that analog direct already takes care of that). This is not a 'real' cinema bypass and is a pretty crappy implementation. Since I'm lazy and have the Main L/R set to 80hz in the Denon, I may just live with double crossovers for Movies/TV, etc.

I don't have any volume difference between bypass on/off. I'm using XLR connections if that helps. I don't have any scratching or subwoofer volume issues (so far). Will report more after running Dirac.
I didn't have vol difference either until after I ran Dirac live... Once a DL filter is loaded, not only the digital source vol level drops by 12db, the will be about 20ms extra latancy added to all digital sources...

NAD told me that this is expected behavior as more headroom must be reserved for DL processing in both time and magnitude axis...

I'd appreciate if you could conform this.

Thanks

post #1369 of 1569 Old 01-25-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I didn't have vol difference either until after I ran Dirac live... Once a DL filter is loaded, not only the digital source vol level drops by 12db, the will be about 20ms extra latancy added to all digital sources...

NAD told me that this is expected behavior as more headroom must be reserved for DL processing in both time and magnitude axis...

I'd appreciate if you could conform this.

Thanks

I did have to go back to the Denon and recalibrate the speaker levels after running Dirac; this is the case even though I have analog direct on and subwoofer off in the NAD when I'm running my Cinema Bypass input. I don't think it was a full 12db though. Levels on the front left and right were reduced, but it seemed more like ~8 db. Either way, it did change the L/R channel volumes post-Dirac.
post #1370 of 1569 Old 01-25-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I did have to go back to the Denon and recalibrate the speaker levels after running Dirac; this is the case even though I have analog direct on and subwoofer off in the NAD when I'm running my Cinema Bypass input. I don't think it was a full 12db though. Levels on the front left and right were reduced, but it seemed more like ~8 db. Either way, it did change the L/R channel volumes post-Dirac.

The amount of gain difference depends on the maximum range of boost added by the Dirac live filter, so it could also be 8db. However, you will not be able to use both Denon's Audyssey and NAD's Dirac live for the front channels, because when analog bypass if off, and you have a DL filter loaded into the C658, Audyssey will fail to compensate for the front speakers' distances, due to the very large latency added by the C658 when analog bypass is off. Audyssey is unable to compensate for a speaker to speaker distance greater than 20ft (6 meters).

Yamaha's YPAO, on the other hand, does not have this problem, as it can compensate up to 50ft distance.
post #1371 of 1569 Old 01-25-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The amount of gain difference depends on the maximum range of boost added by the Dirac live filter, so it could also be 8db. However, you will not be able to use both Denon's Audyssey and NAD's Dirac live for the front channels, because when analog bypass if off, and you have a DL filter loaded into the C658, Audyssey will fail to compensate for the front speakers' distances, due to the very large latency added by the C658 when analog bypass is off. Audyssey is unable to compensate for a speaker to speaker distance greater than 20ft (6 meters).

Yamaha's YPAO, on the other hand, does not have this problem, as it can compensate up to 50ft distance.
I’m ok with not stacking the room correction. I wish the NAD had a true cinema bypass with no bass management or anything other than a straight passthru. Something like the Anthem STR preamp, for instance.

Luckily I don’t switch back and forth very often. I’m either watching tv/movie or listening to music. So I will just have to get used to switching sub on/off and analog bypass on/off when I’m using the NAD for streaming, vinyl, or other music listening.
Audyssey using the app to limit correction to 300hz is very good in my system and does what I need it to do for multichannel programming.
post #1372 of 1569 Old 01-26-2020, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Has NAD updated the feature set via firmware update?

There were talks of variable mono or stereo subwoofer crossovers, and maybe a couple other things?

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #1373 of 1569 Old 01-26-2020, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
I cannot test this using my unit as my entire system is packed away in boxes as I remodel my listening room. But is this “issue” really an issue?
The testing as described by EB1000 is just a way to confirm there are larger issues with the unit.

Crackling noises coming from the sub-out appears to go hand in hand with the sub low output issue.
Random scratching / screeching noises from the main outputs while Dirac is enabled and nothing is playing could be related to or completely separate from the sub output issues.

For example, my replacement unit
- DOES have the sub out issues of scratching noises and very low signal strength
- Does NOT have the issues of screeching noises coming from the towers when Dirac is enabled (but it took months for this to appear with my original unit)
post #1374 of 1569 Old 01-26-2020, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I've had my first issue of note since receiving the 658 (just a couple weeks after release).

Content of support ticket as follows:

Quote:
Multiple times my C658 will not respond to BluOS app, Dirac app, or load webpage when connecting via web browser, however, it does respond to ping requests.

I am a network administrator by profession.
The 658 is physically wired to my network with physical connection to router and assigned a static IP address.
Wifi is not in use.

I have tried the following, in all cases the issue persists:
- Use different browsers; Safari, Chrome, and Opera on my laptop, and Safari and Chrome on iphone.
- Restart our router.
- Power on c658 via remote.
When unit is unresponsive to network and powered on via remote or power button I hear a pulsing from my subwoofers, something like a tht tht tht sound at 2-3 hertz with no bass content. My subs are driven by full frequency amplifier - no crossover - thus the tht tht tht sound is well above crossover setting of 658.

My only option is to unplug power to C658 then reconnect.
When power is restored, without powering it on, it is responsive to all options listed above.
When powered on I do not hear tht tht tht through the subwoofers, this only seems to occur when unit is unresponsive to network connection.

My full range amplifier is vacuum tube, I did not power it on during the troubleshooting phase thus I do not know if the tht tht tht was delivered via full range L&R output.
I should note this is the third occurrence and unit has been fine the past several days, even used it last evening without issue.
post #1375 of 1569 Old 01-26-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb357 View Post
The testing as described by EB1000 is just a way to confirm there are larger issues with the unit.

Crackling noises coming from the sub-out appears to go hand in hand with the sub low output issue.
Random scratching / screeching noises from the main outputs while Dirac is enabled and nothing is playing could be related to or completely separate from the sub output issues.

For example, my replacement unit
- DOES have the sub out issues of scratching noises and very low signal strength
- Does NOT have the issues of screeching noises coming from the towers when Dirac is enabled (but it took months for this to appear with my original unit)
The local dealer has notified me that my replacement unit has arrived and waiting for me at the shop. He assured me that this specific unit was hand-checked by NAD at their facilities before it was shipped. It appears to be a larger issue with about 3% affected units. NAD engineers are currently working on the issue and they think that they can fix it by FW update.
post #1376 of 1569 Old 01-26-2020, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
The local dealer has notified me that my replacement unit has arrived and waiting for me at the shop. He assured me that this specific unit was hand-checked by NAD at their facilities before it was shipped. It appears to be a larger issue with about 3% affected units. NAD engineers are currently working on the issue and they think that they can fix it by FW update.
Sure hope they get it figured out and have the ability to either fix via firmware update or have the serial numbers for the impacted units so they can replace them. Since my replacement unit is defective just like the first I'm starting the hunt for a different integrated pre-amp / streamer combo, hopefully NAD figures out a fix before I figure out a replacement.
post #1377 of 1569 Old 01-26-2020, 02:48 PM

I can confirm that, now that I have run Dirac, I have the static tick tick tick noise when the unit sits idle. It also disappeared from my network today after sitting idle for a couple of hours even though it's hard wired to the router.

Also, I am not a bass fiend, but I found the default Dirac curve lacking. I live in a condo and have to be conscious of neighbours... I also do not enjoy over exaggerated bass. I had to raise the volume on my sub by about 7 dB to get adequate sound. So I recalculated using the NAD RoomFeel curve (including on the subwoofer despite NAD's instructions) and it now sounds great without raising the volume on the sub.

Last edited by Craig Morris; 01-26-2020 at 02:52 PM.
post #1378 of 1569 Old 01-26-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb357 View Post
Sure hope they get it figured out and have the ability to either fix via firmware update or have the serial numbers for the impacted units so they can replace them. Since my replacement unit is defective just like the first I'm starting the hunt for a different integrated pre-amp / streamer combo, hopefully NAD figures out a fix before I figure out a replacement.
Just contact the shop again, and ask another replacement from a newer batch, and not from the curet stock at the store.
post #1379 of 1569 Old 01-29-2020, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
I've heard that they are good, but I only use class-d amplification. The Emotiva PA-1 monobloks may also be an option for you. They are based on Icepower 300AS1 class-d

https://emotiva.com/products/pa-1

The C568's Dirac live can compensate for any tonal difference between amplifiers.

If you want really high-end but more expensive, than look for purifi class-d amps:

https://www.apollonaudio.com/purifi-...dio-monoblock/

These will outperform any class AB or class A amps for the same price range and beyond...
This bucks conventional wisdom. Class D amplification is typically only recommended for subwoofers. Or in cars where the electrical system is strained.
post #1380 of 1569 Old 01-29-2020, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Thanks
Thanks
McIntosh is highly recommended and produces legendary amps.
ronenza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
nad 658 , nad c658

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page