The Official NAD C658 Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 532Likes

post #211 of 1748 Old 02-20-2019, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Any luck, Solomente?
Hi CDLehner. No I had been out of town until last night so I haven't done any more listening/testing yet. There may be a problem with the in-wall ethernet wiring for the room where I have the NAD. But the strange part is, I can stream Tidal and Amazon Music through BluOS with no problem whatsoever. I am thinking to try a new ethernet cable directly connected to my router. It's in a different room but I have a small access door that will allow me to get behind the wall in the NAD room and replace the wire there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1748 Old 02-20-2019, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomente View Post
Hi CDLehner. No I had been out of town until last night so I haven't done any more listening/testing yet. There may be a problem with the in-wall ethernet wiring for the room where I have the NAD. But the strange part is, I can stream Tidal and Amazon Music through BluOS with no problem whatsoever. I am thinking to try a new ethernet cable directly connected to my router. It's in a different room but I have a small access door that will allow me to get behind the wall in the NAD room and replace the wire there.
Yeah; worth a try...as I have seen throughput, do strange things. But I doubt that's it.

Probably more a set-up issue.

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA
post #213 of 1748 Old 02-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah; worth a try...as I have seen throughput, do strange things. But I doubt that's it.

Probably more a set-up issue.
I went into the advanced settings in Roon for the NAD and turned off "Enable MQA Core Decoder" to totally kill any possibility that Roon was trying to handle MQA decoding. Now I can listen without the audio dropping out after 10 seconds but it's still happening periodically, sometimes after about 1 minute, and other times it might last 15 minutes. It's not just the audio dropping though - the NAD completely disappears as an available device in Roon, but then reappears after about 10 seconds. This happened a few times with the PS Audio too, but not nearly as severe, so it must be something with my network. And I still don't see MQA with the little blue light displayed in the BluOS app nor on the front panel display on the NAD. I only see MQA displayed on the NAD if I stream Tidal via BluOs but not Roon. The PS Audio did display MQA and Roon showed it was passing MQA to it, so that is a difference with the NAD.

As far as sound quality, I have left the NAD burning in for at least 100 hours by now. I've had it streaming on a loop of 100 songs with my amplifier switched off. It has definitely changed for the better but I'm not sure if it's where it needs to be yet. Bass and mid-bass have improved quite a bit, in some cases I am hearing bass lines that weren't even apparent with the PS Audio DAC so that is impressive. The soundstage has EXPLODED from where it was. On one live recording the applause sounded like it was coming from a full 360 degrees around me, and it definitely did not sound like that before. Even very simple stuff like a single voice with no instrumental accompaniment definitely has a much larger soundstage. So the bass and the soundstage have noticeably improved. But there is still a chesty thing going on with midrange vocals and the clinical sound, while improved, is still there to some degree. I need to sit down for a longer session to see if I experience the same listening fatigue some others have mentioned.
audiocat5, wassup and TheLordVader like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 1748 Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I agree with most of your assessment. I was listening to Qobuz this ...
I purchased the C658 with a trade, otherwise I might return it as well. I will probably put my Bluesound Node 2i back in service and take a wait and see approach with NAD.
I went ahead and placed an order for Teac NT-505. I'll share how it compares with the NAD C658 as far as sound quality is concerned, when I've had a chance to listen over the weekend.
post #215 of 1748 Old 02-21-2019, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just to be sure...we're on the same page:

You're running ROON (RAAT), on BluOS (input); but using the ROON app...not BluOS, right??

post #216 of 1748 Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Just to be sure...we're on the same page:

You're running ROON (RAAT), on BluOS (input); but using the ROON app...not BluOS, right??
Correct. And immediately after my last post it went back to dropping out every 10 seconds
post #217 of 1748 Old 02-22-2019, 02:17 PM

Is anyone having any trouble with their subwoofer triggering on? My sub (Rythmik F12SE) is set to auto so it switches itself on when it senses a signal. When I turn on the NAD and start playing music, the sub never turns on. I always have to manually switch it on, and when I do it immediately has bass coming out of it. I thought maybe the signal wasn't strong enough so I turned the NAD up to a decent volume level - loud enough that you couldn't talk to anyone without shouting - and it still doesn't turn on. The sub never had this problem before so I think it's the NAD. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it also makes a weird little noise every time I switch sources in the BluOS app too. Anyone else having issues with the sub?

And yes, I have the BluOS app set with the subwoofer on
post #218 of 1748 Old 02-22-2019, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 52
lads, I just downloaded the trial version of Room EQ by MathAudio. This is an AU plugin that works with Audnirvana.
the speakers have just about disappeared... and i just made 10 quick passes with the built in MacBook Pro laptop microphone!
anybody else has used this Room EQ application?

this has removed alot of the brashness (strident-ness?) and room reflections from my speakers... I am gonna demo this for a few more days and if it sounds cool, they just got 100 bucks of my filthy money

everyday... the NAD C658 is drifting farther and farther
away
post #219 of 1748 Old 02-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I was thinking to buy the Nad C658 to fit with my stereo system but the product seems to be buggy and unfinished product.

My stereo system is pretty old almost 30 years and I paid like $6000 CAN at the time. Still playing very good and look like new. (I don't have any kids)
Classé Audio Seventy (Amp)
Classé Audio Four (preamp) XLR Balanced to amp
Pierre-Étienne-Leon Trilogue (speaker)

I was using a Sonos Connect and I recently sold it to buy a better streamer and I would also like a preamp section because I want to plug it directly on my Amp with XLR balanced cable.
Because my preamp has only a knob volume control and I want to be able to adjust the volume remotely. I really like the Sonos apps but the quality and no hi-res, MQA, DSD. it's time for me to get something better that would match my setup. And I was thinking to not use my Classé preamp anymore.

So far the comments are very mix and i'm hesitating to make the plunge with the Nad C658.

Any other alternative as a streamer with built preamp (volume control) ?
Good quality and not to bright ?
A nice and well done app for iPhone ?

Thank you
post #220 of 1748 Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 259
^
The Bluesound devices have software control of volume. You can set volume as fixed for use with a pre-amp or integrated amp or set as variable for use with a power amplifier. I think Bluesound is generally regarded as having better sound quality than Sonos.

Sean
post #221 of 1748 Old 02-22-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
^
The Bluesound devices have software control of volume. You can set volume as fixed for use with a pre-amp or integrated amp or set as variable for use with a power amplifier. I think Bluesound is generally regarded as having better sound quality than Sonos.
I was thinking to get a Bluesound Node 2i but I want a higher quality music streamer and higher end unit.
Something in the price range of the NAD C658 or a litle bit more.

Just not sure about the NAD and owners feedback of the sound quality of this unit
wassup likes this.
post #222 of 1748 Old 02-22-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain P View Post
I was thinking to get a Bluesound Node 2i but I want a higher quality music streamer and higher end unit.

Just not sure about the NAD and owners feedback of the sound quality of this unit
Maybe an Auralic Altair. I don't have personal experience with one but it'll do what you're asking and is $1,899 list price. Call around and I'm sure you can get it for less. I've seen quite positive reviews about it
wassup likes this.
post #223 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I was thinking to buy the Nad C658 to fit with my stereo system but the product seems to be buggy and unfinished product.

My stereo system is pretty old almost 30 years and I paid like $6000 CAN at the time. Still playing very good and look like new. (I don't have any kids)
Classé Audio Seventy (Amp)
Classé Audio Four (preamp) XLR Balanced to amp
Pierre-Étienne-Leon Trilogue (speaker)

I was using a Sonos Connect and I recently sold it to buy a better streamer and I would also like a preamp section because I want to plug it directly on my Amp with XLR balanced cable.
Because my preamp has only a knob volume control and I want to be able to adjust the volume remotely. I really like the Sonos apps but the quality and no hi-res, MQA, DSD. it's time for me to get something better that would match my setup. And I was thinking to not use my Classé preamp anymore.

So far the comments are very mix and i'm hesitating to make the plunge with the Nad C658.

Any other alternative as a streamer with built preamp (volume control) ?
Good quality and not to bright ?
A nice and well done app for iPhone ?

Thank you
I received my Teac NT-505 today. Still auditioning, but initial impressions are promising. For one, it’s analog sounding - not colored, but musical while still being revealing. I’ve been listening all day today and have 0 fatigue so far. Compared to NAD C658, I was hardly tolerating more than 30 minutes.
Volume control is good, I haven’t noticed any loss of resolution so far. It definitely blows BlueSound Node 2 out of the water. This thing is totally in a different league.
The streaming app is not as good as BluOS, but it does the job. It’s the same app that Lumin uses. Having said that, I haven’t run into any bug either. Also, it’s roon Ready.
I’ll post a more detailed comparison with C658 in a few days. I still have the C658 sitting in my rack.
Solomente, wassup, Marren and 1 others like this.
post #224 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I see used and demo prices for the Lumin D2 at about $1800
thats USD son
and that is a quality piece o transitors
post #225 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocat5 View Post
I received my Teac NT-505 today. Still auditioning, but initial impressions are promising. For one, it’s analog sounding - not colored, but musical while still being revealing. I’ve been listening all day today and have 0 fatigue so far. Compared to NAD C658, I was hardly tolerating more than 30 minutes.
Volume control is good, I haven’t noticed any loss of resolution so far. It definitely blows BlueSound Node 2 out of the water. This thing is totally in a different league.
The streaming app is not as good as BluOS, but it does the job. It’s the same app that Lumin uses. Having said that, I haven’t run into any bug either. Also, it’s roon Ready.
I’ll post a more detailed comparison with C658 in a few days. I still have the C658 sitting in my rack.

Can you please clarify for me under what conditions a direct Ethernet connection is required to use the NT-505? I know it has built in WiFi but the specs seem to indicate that WiFi is only for the controller apps connection and an Ethernet connection is required to stream Tidal. I have great WiFi signal but don't have an Ethernet port near where I wish to use the NT-505? Or is the Ethernet only needed to connect to a NAS on your router?

Also, I see there is a USB port on the front to support USB "flash drives" but could I connect a 1T hd loaded with music to this port and the unit and controller app will accommodate that?
post #226 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassup View Post
I see used and demo prices for the Lumin D2 at about $1800

thats USD son

and that is a quality piece o transitors
Is the D2 also a functioning preamp? He needs a preamp/DAC/streamer, not just a DAC/streamer.
post #227 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocat5 View Post
Keep us posted please. If the sound quality is a lot better than the NAD, it might be worth it to me to lose the bass management and room correction the NAD offers
post #228 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I was thinking the same when I purchased the C658 but, at this point in time, the Node 2i is better than the C658. It is surprisingly good for the price and it is better than the Vault2, which I did not expect.
I'm listening to the C658 at the moment and I can hear some aspects that are better, like punchier mid bass, but I still hear a harsh edge in highs on some songs. Difficult to listen to Joni Mitchell, for instance. I feel a bit of fatigue setting in again after just a couple hours and though I am playing only moderate volume. Just a mild headache this time... so perhaps it is getting better.

I did finally get a response from NAD, more than a week later, but it was a survey to ask how they did. Not good... no actual response to my questions is not good.

Sean

Last edited by stash64; 02-23-2019 at 01:45 PM.
post #229 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I was thinking the same when I purchased the C658 but, at this point in time, the Node 2i is better than the C658. It is surprisingly good for the price and it is better than the Vault2, which I did not expect.
I'm listening to the C658 at the moment and I can hear some aspects that are better, like punchier mid bass, but I still hear a harsh edge in highs on some songs. Difficult to listen to Joni Mitchell, for instance. I feel a bit of fatigue setting in again after just a couple hours and though I am playing only moderate volume. Just a mild headache this time... so perhaps it is getting better.

I did finally get a response from NAD, more than a week later, but it was a survey to ask how they did. Not good... no actual response to my questions is not good.

What you are saying is the Bluesound Node 2i sounds better than the big brother NAD C658 ? The Node 2i was on my list when I was thinking to replace my Sonos. But hear about the NAD C658 coming on the market and has a built-in preamp which would be exactly what i need to get wireless volume control to my amp.

My concern is could it be better to get a DAC (no preamp) and use the XLR balanced output of the DAC (variable output) and connect it to my existing Classé Audio preamp XLR balanced input ?
Or just bypass my preamp and get a DAC with built-in preamp ? But boy after $2000 CAN it get to $4000 to $6000 very fast

Auralic Altair (hard to find here in Montreal, Québec)
Auralic Vega G1 (Maybe trying to find a used Auralic Vega 1 but most are in the US for around $1850 US)
Moon Audio 390 pretty expensive but Phono (don't need) but interesting HDMI input and bypass but around $6000 CAN

I was looking around $2000 to $2500 to get something decent. Wow audio component are very expensive now. pretty sure to get the same quality of my actual system
I would have to pay over $15000 to get something similar in quality these days.
post #230 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What you are saying is the Bluesound Node 2i sounds better than the big brother NAD C658 ? The Node 2i was on my list when I was thinking to replace my Sonos. But hear about the NAD C658 coming on the market and has a built-in preamp which would be exactly what i need to get wireless volume control to my amp.
Well, for one, I don't get a headache when listening to the Node 2i. It has more warmth and still very good detail from top to bottom and soundstage is also very good... though my KEF speakers (with Uni-Q) are known for excellent imaging. But the "elephant in the room" is Dirac. It is the main reason that I purchased the C658. I am fairly certain Dirac will be better than Audyssey (from my Marantz AV8802) but will it fix the harsh edge of the C658 ? I think it could but perhaps only if upgrading to the full version of Dirac Live. The regular LE version does not effect frequencies above 500 Hz and I don't think it has the ability to select/tweak the target curve like the full version.

The Bluesound products do have the ability to control volume wirelessly using the BluOS software. You just have to set the volume to variable instead of fixed in the BluOS settings. So you can hook it up to a stereo power amp using the analog outs. I can't speak to how well that works though because I've always just used the digital out of my Vault2 and Node2i connected to my AV8802.

Sean

Last edited by stash64; 02-23-2019 at 06:33 PM.
post #231 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:

My concern is could it be better to get a DAC (no preamp) and use the XLR balanced output of the DAC (variable output) and connect it to my existing Classé Audio preamp XLR balanced input ?
Or just bypass my preamp and get a DAC with built-in preamp ? But boy after $2000 CAN it get to $4000 to $6000 very fast

Auralic Altair (hard to find here in Montreal, Québec)
Auralic Vega G1 (Maybe trying to find a used Auralic Vega 1 but most are in the US for around $1850 US)
Moon Audio 390 pretty expensive but Phono (don't need) but interesting HDMI input and bypass but around $6000 CAN

I was looking around $2000 to $2500 to get something decent. Wow audio component are very expensive now. pretty sure to get the same quality of my actual system
I would have to pay over $15000 to get something similar in quality these days.
You may be interested in reading the responses in this thread I started on the Audiogon forums, basically asking for the exact same thing you are (with a few specific added requests of mine)
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...-roon-and-more

Some other options for you to check out are the Teac NT-505 ($2,500 and mentioned in this thread), Moon Ace ($2,900 but is an integrated amp), Lumin M1 ($2,000 and is an integrated amp which does NOT have pre-outs), and Mytek Brooklyn Bridge ($3,000). All prices are USD. You could get within your budget buying used but the Moon Ace is very rare to see used and the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge was just released so there are no used ones yet.
post #232 of 1748 Old 02-23-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 379
The Official NAD C658 Thread

Decided to box up the NAD today and send it back. Overall it’s a decent streaming DAC but I purchased it to use the XLR Preouts and unfortunately wasn’t impressed with the sound quality. I am convinced they are not fully balanced but NAD never responded to confirm.

Unbalanced RCA sounded pretty good though which surprised me considering I didn’t care for how Balanced sounded but that’s not why I purchased this. This was also my first experience with BluOS and I’m not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #233 of 1748 Old 02-24-2019, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Decided to box up the NAD today and send it back. Overall it’s a decent streaming DAC but I purchased it to use the XLR Preouts and unfortunately wasn’t impressed with the sound quality. I am convinced they are not fully balanced but NAD never responded to confirm.

Unbalanced RCA sounded pretty good though which surprised me considering I didn’t care for how Balanced sounded but that’s not why I purchased this. This was also my first experience with BluOS and I’m not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please keep us posted if you find a streamer that provides superior sound than using your Marantz 8805 as a streamer. That's a pretty high base from which to begin.
post #234 of 1748 Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Is anyone having any trouble with their subwoofer triggering on? My sub (Rythmik F12SE) is set to auto so it switches itself on when it senses a signal. When I turn on the NAD and start playing music, the sub never turns on. I always have to manually switch it on, and when I do it immediately has bass coming out of it. I thought maybe the signal wasn't strong enough so I turned the NAD up to a decent volume level - loud enough that you couldn't talk to anyone without shouting - and it still doesn't turn on. The sub never had this problem before so I think it's the NAD. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it also makes a weird little noise every time I switch sources in the BluOS app too. Anyone else having issues with the sub?

And yes, I have the BluOS app set with the subwoofer on
FWIW, my sub output is on all the time regardless of setting in BluOS app. When I toggle that to say with sub, it cuts bass frequencies to L & R speakers (presume at default 80 Hz X-over).

The only way I think you could disable bass is for analog signals thru Line 1 or 2 while having the analog bypass enabled.

You could try resetting the MCU and/or BluOS module. Note that it wipes your configuration.

Audio/Video enthusiast
post #235 of 1748 Old 02-24-2019, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'm keeping mine

I wanted to share my thoughts and experience with the NAD 658. At this point I think it sounds great with awesome recordings in my setup. Some recordings don't measure up and there is disappointment depending how attached I am to them.

I agree with the comments that the sound can be clinical. Think that is true especially when first listening. The DAC is revealing. It was easy for me to get immersed in the detail which detracts from the emotional aspects of the music. I've spent enough time listening now that detail is not distracting to the presentation. I like the open wide sound stage, clarity, and dynamic range improvements.

I haven't experienced the fatigue, though I think I have heard some music being edgy/shrill (esp. at first). I haven't used it, but the treble control specs +/- 7dB at 20KHz (pretty high). Might be that lowering it could help. The other option would be paying the $100 for full Dirac (when it is available)

I had issues with the bass that I had to work at to correct. The main issue was level setting for 7.1 inputs. I had to redo the HT room correction after adjusting the sub volume. If the sub level setting is too low it will only activate at very loud volumes. I got it matched to the speakers such that level setting was -3dB and L & R speakers were +1 and +2dB. I then duplicated these values in the 7.1 set up.

I run my L & R speakers as Large. I didn't like setting BluOS app configuration to indicate a sub was present. It created a hole. (my sub couldn't fill in what was missing). Likewise having the sub and speakers running full range made too much bass. This is what Dirac should correct, but as we all know it isn't ready yet (very disappointing as was supposed to be ready at end of January). I fortunately have a Velodyne SMS-1 so I was able to mostly fix my bass issues.

The BluOS app is a big improvement over the Oppo app for the BDP-95. To get the full benefit of it I had to modify the Album metadata id to make separate CD quality and HR quality copies, appear as separate albums. It is nice to abandon the primitive folder view to select music. My one complaint is selecting a song to add to queue can be tricky. If screw up you start playing the song immediately or possibly moving to another song already in the queue if you miss. It seems to require a deft, firm tap between the quality indicator and "..." to work consistently.

I haven't tried Tidal. I did buy a few albums with MQA encoding. Playback works well. I was surprised initially to see that the actual playback is 48 or 44.1 / 24 bits regardless of the bit depth of FLAC container file. Did some reading and gather this is normal. I guess the benefit with MQA could lie with streaming or that the studios will release better sources because of the copy protection. There is a fair bit of controversy about MQA on the web.

With the Oppo the best play back was disk or using a USB thumb drive. The C658 does best with the NAS storage. The NAS is available right away while it appears to take some time for the USB drive to mount. From the NAS, it works great, no issues with file size, gapless playback, always on.

Another thing I had to do was to set the Bluetooth to manual. The default auto setting broke the connection between a Amazon fire and Harmony hub.

Took some doing but now I quite pleased with the upgrade to my system!
wassup and TheLordVader like this.
post #236 of 1748 Old 02-24-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm reading all these comments...and I'm in a (I think) unique conundrum.

I'm not crazy, about the sound of mine either. But a) I'm downsizing; so...I've got maybe, $3k wrapped-up in my rig right now. As opposed to ~$30k. So it's hard to figure out, if the issue is the C658...or just the withdrawal, lol.

B) I'm using active speakers (for the first time, mind you); as part, of trying to get my box-count down. Hard not to lay, plenty...if not the majority...of blame; on the integrated, in my case rather old-school...class-D amps.

The only other unit, that seem to check most of the boxes for me (other than the NT-505, which was still kinda vapor-wear...until recently); was the Lumin D2. But both, are missing DIRAC (of course); and the Lumin has no MQA.
wassup likes this.

post #237 of 1748 Old 02-24-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The only other unit, that seem to check most of the boxes for me (other than the NT-505, which was still kinda vapor-wear...until recently); was the Lumin D2. But both, are missing DIRAC (of course); and the Lumin has no MQA.
Lumin products are MQA compatible. The D2 is not, however, a preamp.
post #238 of 1748 Old 02-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Ok I think I'm on to something here. I've let my C 658 burn in a good 200 hours now and the sound quality has improved dramatically. As I mentioned earlier, the soundstage has absolutely exploded. I've never been so enveloped in sound before in my room. The harshness has given way to transparency. Occasionally I still get a very brief hint of something a little too "hot" but I think that's in large part due to the recording too. After all, transparency definitely reveals what's in the recording. The bass and mid-bass are so much improved from when the NAD was right out of the box, I kept checking to see if I changed something else too. I just listened for a good 40 minutes at high volume and didn't experience any fatigue. I even had my wife come in after a while and she always complains it's too loud. This time she just said it sounds really good. So for those of you who still have the NAD but aren't happy with the sound, I suggest burning it in for 200+ hours before you make a final assessment of the sound quality. My next step is going to be to move it to another room and hook it up to my other system. If it's still sounding good, I'm going to hold onto it. And hopefully Dirac will make it even better.

BTW @CDLehner I discovered other people with similar drop-out issues in Roon and noticed some had resolved it by changing their network switch. My switch is working fine for all other devices, and as I mentioned BluOS was working fine too, just not Roon. Anyway I got a new switch today and darn if it didn't fix the dropouts! I played through Roon for hours while I milled about the house and periodically checked. Not one dropout the entire time. Not sure how that could be but Roon must be extremely sensitive to something going on in some network switches. Can't argue with $15 fix.
CDLehner, wassup and TheLordVader like this.
post #239 of 1748 Old 02-25-2019, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Have we found out exactly what DAC chip the C658 is using? Are the subwoofer outputs real stereo subwoofer outputs? Are there optional crossover frequencies for the high pass / low pass, how high can the crossover be set? Do we know the crossover slope (24dB per octave)?

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the miniDSP SHD is an alternative at a similar price point (not sure about how good Volumio network streaming is). It has real balanced outputs for the low pass and high pass outputs.
wassup likes this.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
post #240 of 1748 Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
Have we found out exactly what DAC chip the C658 is using? Are the subwoofer outputs real stereo subwoofer outputs? Are there optional crossover frequencies for the high pass / low pass, how high can the crossover be set? Do we know the crossover slope (24dB per octave)?

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the miniDSP SHD is an alternative at a similar price point (not sure about how good Volumio network streaming is). It has real balanced outputs for the low pass and high pass outputs.
Well NAD themselves replied earlier in this thread that they use ES9028Q2M, it has a DNR of 129 and THD +N -120.

But on their website it says "features the ESS Sabre 32bit DAC , one of the best performing DACs on the market today with its 118dB Dynamic Range and incredibly low jitter spec."

118db? If it is the ES9028Q2M it has 129, or am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
nad 658 , nad c658

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page