The Official NAD C658 Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 137Likes

post #241 of 325 Old 02-25-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
(snip)...
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the miniDSP SHD is an alternative at a similar price point (not sure about how good Volumio network streaming is). It has real balanced outputs for the low pass and high pass outputs.
how would you rate your miniDSP vs the Cambridge unit? I am also interested in the miniDSP SHD... although it seems a bit light on the specs vs something like the TEAC NT 505
i have not heard either unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 325 Old 02-25-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I still think mine sounds good, and gets better by the day. Like many other components, it is very particular about what you feed it. Bad recordings sound bad, great recordings sound great. I keep hearing from folks that think it is harsh, bright, etc. Maybe because I'm a trumpet player, I think if anything it can err on the side of being a little laid-back and not as engaging as the best stuff I've heard and owned. When I auditioned it against an M12, this was my takeaway, too - it did not seem as "energized". However, like I said before, that was a C658 straight out of the box vs an M12 with at least a few hundred hours on it, if not more. The M12 is also another ~$2500 if you add the BluOS module.

There has been a lot of criticism about the choice of chip set for the C658. Please forgive this very naive and stupid question, for which I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but is there a way to upgrade the chip set, or is it like trying to perform a brain transplant? Again, apologies for a stupid question, but I'm curious if that might be an option down the road.
post #243 of 325 Old 02-25-2019, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post
I still think mine sounds good, and gets better by the day. Like many other components, it is very particular about what you feed it. Bad recordings sound bad, great recordings sound great. I keep hearing from folks that think it is harsh, bright, etc. Maybe because I'm a trumpet player, I think if anything it can err on the side of being a little laid-back and not as engaging as the best stuff I've heard and owned. When I auditioned it against an M12, this was my takeaway, too - it did not seem as "energized". However, like I said before, that was a C658 straight out of the box vs an M12 with at least a few hundred hours on it, if not more. The M12 is also another ~$2500 if you add the BluOS module.

There has been a lot of criticism about the choice of chip set for the C658. Please forgive this very naive and stupid question, for which I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but is there a way to upgrade the chip set, or is it like trying to perform a brain transplant? Again, apologies for a stupid question, but I'm curious if that might be an option down the road.
There's no changing the chip. A lot of people on the internet make a big stink about DAC chips but I find it to not be all that critical. Sure it's important to some degree but there are other factors to a DAC like the analog output stage that are extremely important. Having a good chip doesn't mean the DAC will sound good and having an ok chip with a fantastically designed DAC will probably sound great. The PS Audio I had is a perfect example. It had no chip at all, since it is software based, but I had the DirectStream Junior and it doesn't sound exactly the same as the full size DirectStream (senior?) despite running the same software (the same "chip").
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 325 Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 PM

@CDLehner I'm wondering if you're really getting MQA via Roon on your NAD C 658. I just did more research on Roon's website and it indicates on all NAD products that "MQA decoding via RAAT is not yet available with this product." So you are saying when you stream MQA songs via the Roon app (not via BluOS app) that the MQA logo/light appears on the front of your NAD C 658? I can't get it to happen and based on the Roon website info, it doesn't work.
post #245 of 325 Old 02-26-2019, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomente View Post
@CDLehner I'm wondering if you're really getting MQA via Roon on your NAD C 658. I just did more research on Roon's website and it indicates on all NAD products that "MQA decoding via RAAT is not yet available with this product." So you are saying when you stream MQA songs via the Roon app (not via BluOS app) that the MQA logo/light appears on the front of your NAD C 658? I can't get it to happen and based on the Roon website info, it doesn't work.
Yes; quite right Solomente. Sorry.

I guess I was recalling, seeing the MQA light-up...from when I was using the BluOS app. In ROON, I do feel like I'm getting MQA decoded...from the "signal path" saying so; even though it doesn't trigger the light...probably because of the not "certified" issue.

Sorry again, for any confusion.

All The Music In The World > NAD C658 > Dynaudio Excite X14As
post #246 of 325 Old 02-27-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1588
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Yes; quite right Solomente. Sorry.

I guess I was recalling, seeing the MQA light-up...from when I was using the BluOS app. In ROON, I do feel like I'm getting MQA decoded...from the "signal path" saying so; even though it doesn't trigger the light...probably because of the not "certified" issue.

Sorry again, for any confusion.
As long as you have it set in Roon for the device to handle MQA as "Decoder and Renderer" in the Device Settings, you should be getting full MQA playback. You can confirm in the Signal Path info.
CDLehner likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #247 of 325 Old 02-27-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
As long as you have it set in Roon for the device to handle MQA as "Decoder and Renderer" in the Device Settings, you should be getting full MQA playback. You can confirm in the Signal Path info.
Hi Brian. Actually that's not correct in this case because BlueSound and NAD products can only decode MQA via BluOS and not via Roon. There is an outstanding issue (since 2017) where BluOS isn't fully compatible with Roon RAAT and does NOT work with MQA if you choose decoder and renderer. There are many posts about this in the NAD/Bluesound section of the Roon forums. You have to set it to Renderer only and let Roon do the first unfold. From there, it's not really clear whether BluOS is doing the final decode or not. There is no MQA light on on the NAD, but the signal path in Roon seems to indicate the NAD is decoding it. It's quite confusing and frustrating, actually.
post #248 of 325 Old 02-27-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1588
Quote:
Hi Brian. Actually that's not correct in this case because BlueSound and NAD products can only decode MQA via BluOS and not via Roon. There is an outstanding issue (since 2017) where BluOS isn't fully compatible with Roon RAAT and does NOT work with MQA if you choose decoder and renderer. There are many posts about this in the NAD/Bluesound section of the Roon forums. You have to set it to Renderer only and let Roon do the first unfold. From there, it's not really clear whether BluOS is doing the final decode or not. There is no MQA light on on the NAD, but the signal path in Roon seems to indicate the NAD is decoding it. It's quite confusing and frustrating, actually.
Oh wow. I thought that was fixed a while ago! Thanks for the correction!

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #249 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

I just got my NAD C 658 but i am not able to open any DSD file (DSF or DFF).

I tried both options, connecting USB disk or accessing my NAS via BluOS.
In both cases the DSD files are just not displayed.

The only option that I've found is using BluOS app in OSX/Windows that includes below feature:

"Initial DSD Playback requires the BluOS App for Windows or MacOS. In Settings. Playback, Turn on Enable DSD Playback. Using the Browse button, locate the DSD files on your PC. These will be copied and converted to PCM and available to all Bluesound Players in all Apps once completed. The original DSD files will not be altered"

Obviously this is not what I am looking for.
if NAD C 658 supports DSD file (as specified in the technical specification) I aspect that it can natively play a DSD file rather then offering a tool to convert to PCM/Flac.

Please let me know your experience and if you found a way do it.
In the meantime I've raised the question to NAD support.

Thanks!
TheLordVader likes this.
post #250 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocat5 View Post
I received my Teac NT-505 today. Still auditioning, but initial impressions are promising. For one, it’s analog sounding - not colored, but musical while still being revealing. I’ve been listening all day today and have 0 fatigue so far. Compared to NAD C658, I was hardly tolerating more than 30 minutes.
Volume control is good, I haven’t noticed any loss of resolution so far. It definitely blows BlueSound Node 2 out of the water. This thing is totally in a different league.
The streaming app is not as good as BluOS, but it does the job. It’s the same app that Lumin uses. Having said that, I haven’t run into any bug either. Also, it’s roon Ready.
I’ll post a more detailed comparison with C658 in a few days. I still have the C658 sitting in my rack.
Really, really looking forward to hear your comparison Teac NT-505 VS Nad C658! Any thoughts to share with us?

I have ordered the C658 here in Sweden, but the more I read about the DAC-chipset used, the more I am thinking of cancelling my order. I have written to NAD to get some technical specs, but no answer...

If the C658 have had a DAC comparable to C510 or M51 that would have done it for me.
post #251 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I think perhaps part of the issue is the upsampling DAC. I believe it upsamples to 384 kHz! I would prefer a DAC that does no upsampling and, at this point in time, I don't believe there are any available settings (to turn off upsampling). I did return my C658 and I am now looking at the Woo Audio WDS-1 to pair with my Bluesound Node 2i. The WDS-1 does take the approach of no upsampling and reviews indicate that it's strong suit is "tonality", which I interpret as being very good at re-creating the natural resonances of instruments. I did not hear that with the C658.
TheLordVader likes this.

Sean
post #252 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 10:57 AM

I figure that this is the DAC chipset used in C658 according to NAD's specs on their site; -118 db THD +N / 32 bit ESS Sabre.

ES9008
No of chipsets 1
DNR 134
THD +N -118
Channels 2
Bits 32
Sample Rate 192
post #253 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello everyone, This is my first post on this forum. My name is Mark, I’m from Poland. Very glad to join You. I want to share my experience with nad c658. I own Bluesound node 2i, yearlier yamaha np s2000, I did wait and have a lot of expectations with nadc658, quite good ess chip, xlrs.....I ordered and I.....Send it back. It does not sound any better than bluesound node, really. My opinion. One more thing, the gear was warmed, demo. The strangest was test xlr/rca....I can confirm, it is ridiculous but rca sounds better than xlr, I was very surprised to discover that.
I use only tidal so user friendly app is a very important for me.
Now I consider teac nt 505....audiocat, please tell more about Your impressions and app. You said it is not as good as BlueOs...can You specify disadvantages of teac app and overall sound quality. Would You again exchange nad into teac?
P.S Sorry, english is not my native language
wassup likes this.
post #254 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrogoza&wp.pl View Post
You did great!
post #255 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 05:56 PM

My C 658 / C 268 / Revel M16 system sounds amazing. I wish Dirac Live was ready from the get go - but it should be here soon.

I would strongly advise anyone getting caught up on claims about the specs for this chip vs that chip and just go try it for yourself first. Think about how long you can play those games for with ANY gear. Folks at NAD have a pretty strong track record with the DAC/Streaming thing - and this piece is just plain unique. It has (or soon will have) a set of features that you literally can't touch (Dirac, phono, BluOS, balanced outs, sub outs, 2-way Bluetooth, quality headphone out) on any other piece near its price, looks great, sounds great, and has performed for me without a hitch in all modes. And even if there are different chip options out there - most folks that have any experience with Dirac would agree that the differences Dirac can bring to your system are far more significant than the incremental differences that chip changes can bring. Comparing it to the TEAC and the other pieces mentioned here (as good as they might be) isn't really apples to apples. Qobuz and Tidal via Roon sound incredible on it. Stays in great sync with my C 390DD via both Roon and Bluesound apps. Very fine and pleasant to use volume control. Easy to read display - although navigation is a bit different.

I would add that the room I have this system in is VERY live and small. While I can understand where some of the critique about it sounding very bright come from - I would call it revealing instead. Full of moments where I have heard things for the first time. No listener fatigue in my experience.

I am guessing that once the software updates come through there will be plenty of stellar reviews to follow. Doesn't make much sense for pros to eval it until then.

Give it a try and enjoy as I have.
wassup likes this.
post #256 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 07:34 PM

I agree with regards to the chipset. More pressing is the equipment you have hooked up to the little bugger. I have a set of active speakers with ribbon tweeters. I have to know the Dirac works. The XLR outs not sounding like the RCA is another gremlin
post #257 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassup View Post
I agree with regards to the chipset. More pressing is the equipment you have hooked up to the little bugger. I have a set of active speakers with ribbon tweeters. I have to know the Dirac works. The XLR outs not sounding like the RCA is another gremlin
I'll have to fiddle with that. I'm running mine, straight to active speakers; so "long" ICs are a must...and I much prefer to go balanced.

But, if the sound is better with unbalanced; that'll be a real head-scratcher.
wassup likes this.

All The Music In The World > NAD C658 > Dynaudio Excite X14As
post #258 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbrewer View Post
My C 658 / C 268 / Revel M16 system sounds amazing. I wish Dirac Live was ready from the get go - but it should be here soon.

I would strongly advise anyone getting caught up on claims about the specs for this chip vs that chip and just go try it for yourself first. Think about how long you can play those games for with ANY gear. Folks at NAD have a pretty strong track record with the DAC/Streaming thing - and this piece is just plain unique. It has (or soon will have) a set of features that you literally can't touch (Dirac, phono, BluOS, balanced outs, sub outs, 2-way Bluetooth, quality headphone out) on any other piece near its price, looks great, sounds great, and has performed for me without a hitch in all modes. And even if there are different chip options out there - most folks that have any experience with Dirac would agree that the differences Dirac can bring to your system are far more significant than the incremental differences that chip changes can bring. Comparing it to the TEAC and the other pieces mentioned here (as good as they might be) isn't really apples to apples. Qobuz and Tidal via Roon sound incredible on it. Stays in great sync with my C 390DD via both Roon and Bluesound apps. Very fine and pleasant to use volume control. Easy to read display - although navigation is a bit different.

I would add that the room I have this system in is VERY live and small. While I can understand where some of the critique about it sounding very bright come from - I would call it revealing instead. Full of moments where I have heard things for the first time. No listener fatigue in my experience.

I am guessing that once the software updates come through there will be plenty of stellar reviews to follow. Doesn't make much sense for pros to eval it until then.

Give it a try and enjoy as I have.
I have used c658 for a month now. Use it as a preamp with adam t5v. I like the sound and and compaired to my earlier stream unit Yamaha Wxc-50 it sounds much better, one can hear the details much more clearily. The Blueos app works well, and Tidal MQA is just outstanding. Don’t understand the issues of fatigue when using c658 ar all. I think it is marvellous.
post #259 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 11:40 PM

Same here - it is doing exactly what I expected it to do when I bought it. I would expect better sound from separates, and have always chosen that path in the past. My criteria has changed, and this thing checks an impressive array of boxes, and sounds very good doing it (at least in my system). I did not expect it to sound as good as the M12, and it does not, but I don't think the difference is worth $2500 for my intended use. NAD is not going to sell something that competes head-to-head with their Masters series for considerably less and risk cannibalizing sales. If Porsche put 911 engines in their Caymans, nobody would buy a 911 again.
post #260 of 325 Old 02-28-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrogoza&wp.pl View Post
Hello everyone, This is my first post on this forum. My name is Mark, I’m from Poland. Very glad to join You. I want to share my experience with nad c658. I own Bluesound node 2i, yearlier yamaha np s2000, I did wait and have a lot of expectations with nadc658, quite good ess chip, xlrs.....I ordered and I.....Send it back. It does not sound any better than bluesound node, really. My opinion. One more thing, the gear was warmed, demo. The strangest was test xlr/rca....I can confirm, it is ridiculous but rca sounds better than xlr, I was very surprised to discover that.
I use only tidal so user friendly app is a very important for me.
Now I consider teac nt 505....audiocat, please tell more about Your impressions and app. You said it is not as good as BlueOs...can You specify disadvantages of teac app and overall sound quality. Would You again exchange nad into teac?
Hi Mark. Have you looked at Pioneer N-70AE? Very good reviews here in Sweden and Internationally. I will try C658 for a while (hasen´t been delivered to me yet).

I´ve been really digging into the NAD´s DAC. First NAD stated 35bit and 844kHz, than I read a reply from their support stating they use ESS9028Q2M, in one spec sheet (probable pre-release) 115 db, and now finally 118db 32 bit Ess Sabre. Do they know what they talk about..? Anyway ESS Sabre S9008 is the DAC inside the C658.

Otherwise I will take a look at and try Pioneer N70-AE or Teac NT-505 (where are all the reviews for Teac???)
post #261 of 325 Old 03-01-2019, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
NAD C658 vs Teac NT-505 - My impressions and review

Two interesting devices from two different and well respected manufacturers on the audio scene. Although, some may say that Japan's Teac's heritage and pedigree is more audiophile than NAD, but in my personal opinion, they are both leaders in their own right. NAD has been leading the way on innovation, more recently. NAD c658 is an example of new kind of dac/preamp that checks a whole bunch of boxes for a modern audiophile who may be looking for consolidation or on a somewhat limited budget.

I am not gonna go into a feature comparison between the two devices in this post, you can read that on their respective websites. I am here to share my own personal experience with the two. I'll just point out that NAD uses the ESS Sabre 32 bit chipset, whereas Teac uses 2 AK4497 32 bit flagship chipsets in dual monoaural configuration.

My setup is fairly simple. I used NAD and Teac both as pre-amp going directly into an Odyssey Kismet Extreme amplifier through RCA, which powers a pair of Paradigm Studio 60v5.

You can read my thoughts on NAD C658 in one of my earlier posts. To summarize, I really wanted to like this device, because it has the perfect feature set (albeit on paper, and not in reality pending unreleased features so far). I found the sound bright, edgy, clinical and unmusical in general. It was extremely fatiguing and listening to music became a disorienting chore. On the plus side, the sound was definitely revealing. The bottom is tight, fast and controlled. I found the mids to be recessed or always hidden behind the drums and the cymbals. I put on Hotel California by Eagles via Tidal, and I was amazed at the sheer amount of realism of fingers sliding on guitar strings that it revealed. Piano sounded real, and the weight behind the keys was immediately noticeable.
However, when lots of instruments played together, and on complex passages, the sound became congested. Add the slight edginess on higher frequencies, this made for a non-musical experience. In my opinion, NAD C658 struggles with congestion with the simplest of complex passages. While Carmina Burana, a classical piece, legitimately sounds flat, this behavior shows up even with moderately complex pieces. Case in point, in the first 50 seconds of School by Supertramp (MQA on Tidal), the crying, shouting children felt two dimensional. Even though, the dynamic range capability of the dac shines on this piece. So overall, I didn't find NAD C658 enjoyable. At no point, it got me tapping my toes even on my favorite music pieces.

Let's talk about Teac NT-505. I started with some Louis Armstrong in MQA streaming through Tidal, and was immediately floored by how smooth he sounded. All the details were there on the high-end that I was hearing on NAD, but there was something different. My first thought was that the highs have been mixed with sugar. They were sweet. Not syrupy, not edgy in any way, set just at the right place on the stage; they were exactly how music should sound like - pleasing. There was a sense of balance. The very next thing I noticed was almost a holographic sound stage. I wasn't ready to believe that because holographic stages are the realm of Tubes. This required some further listening. And that's what I did.

I've been listening to Teac for almost a week, and at this point, I can say with a lot of confidence that this Dac/Preamp can image extremely well, almost holographic, thanks to the separation of channels due to the dual monoaural configuration. I played School by Supertramp, and the difference between NAD and Teac was night and day. The sounds of children were coming from behind the speakers, behind the vocalist, from left and right walls. It was quite an immersive experience. The piano/keyboard sounded extremely well balanced and did not have a slightest bit of edge. I tried some Carmina Burana recordings and I was amazed at how well Teac NT-505 handles complex passages. It never broke a sweat. The imaging was so perfect that I almost forgot that one of the main reasons I bought C658 was because I thought I needed Dirac.

After listening for a week, I can say that Teac NT-505 is in a different league than NAD C658. In my experience, its as revealing as NAD, but at no point music becomes analytical. It has a lush midrange, maybe a little warm than neutral, but it makes for an enjoyable experience. The bottom end is tight. This was a point of concern for me, as I've read the reviews about the older NT503, and people have found the bottom end to be loose. On NT-505, the bottom end is controlled, tight, and authoritative. At no point, I felt that it was coloring the mid-range. The mids were always crisp, had a lot of texture and never muddied.

A word on the blue sound app vs Teac's HR streamer app. There's no comparison there, BlueSound app is the best out there. Its the best UX, period. Teac's HR Streamer app is the same app as Lumin. As a matter of fact, Lumin's app works with Teac too. It does the job. I got over it once I started hearing the music.

The volume control on Teac is pretty awesome too. I found that it was perfectly matched with my amp, and I was listening to it between 40% - 50% vs. Teac which provided similar gain between 25% to 40%.

Teac doesn't have Dirac, doesn't have multiple analog inputs like NAD C658, but it does one thing really well, and that's playing music. Teac brings the sweet, liquid, velvety gently warm sound to listening that can you tapping your toes.

So, I returned the NAD, and I am keeping the Teac. If I were naive, and didn't know that sonic impressions are subjective, I'd foolishly say that if you like NAD c658, wait till you try the Teac NT-505, you'd run away from NAD. But I won't say that. At least, not out loud.
wassup and TheLordVader like this.

Last edited by audiocat5; 03-01-2019 at 12:52 AM.
post #262 of 325 Old 03-01-2019, 02:02 AM

Fantastic audiocat5! Thank you very much for your opinions. I'll lean even more towards Teac now :-)
audiocat5 likes this.
post #263 of 325 Old 03-01-2019, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Audiocat, thank You very much for such a detailed review. You made me really very very curious about Teac.
Guys, I’m very far away from saying Teac is a bad gear. I just say and it’s my personal opinion that It doesnt sound any better than small BS node. It worked with mcintosh 8000 and b&w 802.
Moreover i felt a bit cheated by nad because of xlr’s. if is not fully balanced why did they put xlrs sockets? It is huge overpromise.
Ok maybe Dirac does a great job and makes a Wow effect, I don’t know that.
Haven’t tested Pioneer.
App this is something that discourages me from teac. Someone said that streamer producers live or die on software, a lot of truth in that claim...
audiocat5 likes this.
post #264 of 325 Old 03-01-2019, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Gentlemen, does anyone have any experience with Marantz ND8006? If to compare with NAD C 658? HEOS vs BluOS?
post #265 of 325 Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 AM

audiocat, thanks again for a very well thought out impression of these two pieces of kit.
in my case, I went to Audnirvana because even though I was using all JBL for speakers, the 305MkI and the 310s subwoofer were displaying rather poor rhythm with the PreSonus USB DAC... Audnirvana sorted that right out. then I moved up to the AirPulse Model 1 and had a whole new top end experience with ribbon tweeters.
I am overseas with very short windows of time in the motherland so I have to buy something the first time that is well regarded ... there ain't no returns. If Audnirvana is working with Dirac ¡!¡! ... then I am going with the TEAC.

right now I am listening to the MQA ver of Supertramp - Crime of the Century 192kHz Remaster - awesome
have a listen to the high rez Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (2011 Mix) 24bit SACD FLAC
good lawd that is just incredible
audiocat5 likes this.

Last edited by wassup; 03-01-2019 at 06:39 AM.
post #266 of 325 Old 03-01-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can we presume you talked to someone who looked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLordVader View Post

I´ve been really digging into the NAD´s DAC. First NAD stated 35bit and 844kHz, than I read a reply from their support stating they use ESS9028Q2M, in one spec sheet (probable pre-release) 115 db, and now finally 118db 32 bit Ess Sabre. Do they know what they talk about..? Anyway ESS Sabre S9008 is the DAC inside the C658.

for Teac???)
Think I'm past caring but I am still curious. The gold standard for knowing would be a peek or knowing someone within NAD.

Thanks
post #267 of 325 Old 03-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
audiocat, thanks again for a very well thought out impression of these two pieces of kit.
in my case, I went to Audnirvana because even though I was using all JBL for speakers, the 305MkI and the 310s subwoofer were displaying rather poor rhythm with the PreSonus USB DAC... Audnirvana sorted that right out. then I moved up to the AirPulse Model 1 and had a whole new top end experience with ribbon tweeters.
I am overseas with very short windows of time in the motherland so I have to buy something the first time that is well regarded ... there ain't no returns. If Audnirvana is working with Dirac ¡!¡! ... then I am going with the TEAC.

right now I am listening to the MQA ver of Supertramp - Crime of the Century 192kHz Remaster - awesome
have a listen to the high rez Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (2011 Mix) 24bit SACD FLAC
good lawd that is just incredible

I tried Crime of the century on Qobuz HiRes 192khz Flac as well. Subtle differences between the two, but that is indeed a hell of a recording on MQA and FLAC!

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Wish you were here in HiRes (not available on Tidal or Qobuz, AFAIK), but have the Vinyl pressing for that. Can't wait to try it out on digital.
Maybe you should reach out to Dirac to see what there plans are. I read somewhere that the new version of Dirac would be easy to integrate as a plugin, rather than a virtual sound card.
post #268 of 325 Old 03-01-2019, 07:09 PM

lads, i must say
i was listening to Tidal 2019 MQA release of Seiji Ozawa Beethoven 9th Symphony
i don't know if it was the 80 dolla DAC
the AirPulse Model 1
Or Audnirvana
but the soundstage was flat-shallow and boxy
with no seperation
my goodness how awful
TheLordVader likes this.
post #269 of 325 Old 03-01-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hjulfors View Post
I have used c658 for a month now. Use it as a preamp with adam t5v. I like the sound and and compaired to my earlier stream unit Yamaha Wxc-50 it sounds much better, one can hear the details much more clearily. The Blueos app works well, and Tidal MQA is just outstanding. Don’t understand the issues of fatigue when using c658 ar all. I think it is marvellous.
Quote:
lads, i must say
i was listening to Tidal 2019 MQA release of Seiji Ozawa Beethoven 9th Symphony
i don't know if it was the 80 dolla DAC
the AirPulse Model 1
Or Audnirvana
but the soundstage was flat-shallow and boxy
with no seperation
my goodness how awful
Do you have a version of this recording that sounds good? Orchestral recordings seem like the hardest to get right - there are very few that I've run across that are even tolerable.
wassup likes this.
post #270 of 325 Old 03-02-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilt View Post
Do you have a version of this recording that sounds good? Orchestral recordings seem like the hardest to get right - there are very few that I've run across that are even tolerable.
no, i only had the Tidal ver. I will look for another version. This was an anomoly... everything usually sounds good to very good.

EDIT: non MQA version is not different... for giggles I played the Tidal non MQA stream of Seiji Ozawa No 5 Mozart Clarinet Concerto from 2016 and that was markedly better.. better separation, better timbre and dynamics and more localised instrument presentation with a slightly bigger soundstage... still sub-standard but better than the AM radio presentation of the Seiji Sir Ludwig Von 9th...

Last edited by wassup; 03-02-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
nad 658 , nad c658

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page