233Likes

post #1 of 530 Old 12-29-2018, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 1902
The Official NAD C658 Thread

I was just going to ask...does anyone have theirs yet? Because I thought for sure they were ready; and after I placed my order...my dealer is telling me, a delay means mid-January...and that in fact, I'll have one of the first ones.

But...I decided to do an "official" thread, instead; because I'm sure considering the nature of the unit...there will be some set-up, functionality questions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NAD-C-658-Front-1024x494.jpg
Views:	2455
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	2502576  

All The Music In The World > Auralic Aries Mini > Musical Fidelity M2si > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

Last edited by CDLehner; 12-29-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 530 Old 12-30-2018, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Guess that answers my question, lol

Anybody planning, to get one; or is it just me??

All The Music In The World > Auralic Aries Mini > Musical Fidelity M2si > Dynaudio EMIT M10s
post #3 of 530 Old 01-02-2019, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh; 2019 starting off right!

Checked in, with my NAD dealer...on what I assumed, was his 1st day back from the Holiday break.

Just wanted an update, on the C658; figuring I still had a week or so, before there'd be any new news.

Should be coming, sooner than originally expected. As early as tomorrow!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 530 Old 01-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am quite interested in this unit. It seems like an amazing value for the money. There doesn’t seem to be much information about it anywhere though. I have 3 questions about it. Do you know if the MQA is fully decoded before the Dirac correction is applied? Any idea what the DAC is? An upper limit of 192k would seem to indicate either an old or low end ESS DAC. I don’t know much about Dirac, but I understand they have a relatively new version 2 out. Anyone know if this will have v1 or v2?

I’ll be excited to hear your impressions!

Thanks,
Frank
post #5 of 530 Old 01-05-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am also interested in this component.

From what I can glean from the specifications, the DAC is probably the Sabre Reference ES2008 from 2014, which is not a “new” chip.

I am considering adding this component to a reasonably high-end audio system because,
1) The Bluos interface and features are better than others I have seen and I find the GUI fairly intuitive and easy to use, not to mention how reliable it has been.
2) The Dirac Live correction is top notch, and unless one has a custom designed listening room, it is a net benefit.

But, I have a few concerns as well, including: the quality of the DAC, the overall quality of the preamp, and is the latest Dirac version being used (per “flafond”).

If the quality of the preamp/DAC degrades the proceeding components it’s a problem. I suspect this wasn’t released as a Master Series component to hit a pricepoint, but I think the quality of the Bluos streaming solution is capable of being the digital front-end of any quality of audio system as long as it’s driving a quality DAC.
damon and mbroadus like this.
post #6 of 530 Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Dealer will be shipping Monday

I don’t know much about Dirac, but I understand they have a relatively new version 2 out. Anyone know if this will have v1 or v2?

IDK, if it's v1/2 so much; as the C658 comes with less-than-full version, of Dirac Live...that can be upgraded to Dirac Live Full.

From what I can glean from the specifications, the DAC is probably the Sabre Reference ES2008 from 2014, which is not a “new” chip.

The data sheet, says "ESS Sabre DAC with MQA decoding". So...I don't think, it's a re-treaded chip

post #7 of 530 Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Dealer will be shipping Monday

I don’t know much about Dirac, but I understand they have a relatively new version 2 out. Anyone know if this will have v1 or v2?

IDK, if it's v1/2 so much; as the C658 comes with less-than-full version, of Dirac Live...that can be upgraded to Dirac Live Full.

The data sheet, says "ESS Sabre DAC with MQA decoding". So...I don't think, it's a re-treaded chip
Good to know, let us know your thoughts once you’ lived with it for a while.
post #8 of 530 Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I too am waiting for one.
I too have been told mid January.

Just happens that my 30 year old receiver dies when this item was announced.

Main reasons I want it are:
DIRAC
True Stereo Sub Out
Streaming

This will feed a dynaco inspired tube amp driving GoldenEar Triton Fives
Two subs, each 12" driver in a sealed 1.375 cu/ft cabinet driven by a Behringer NU1000DSP amp.
damon likes this.
post #9 of 530 Old 01-07-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mine is on a truck! I'll have it tomorrow

post #10 of 530 Old 01-07-2019, 07:12 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Will you please confirm whether the sub out are stereo, not just two sub out channels.

I have been receiving pushback and getting pretty annoyed by it.
post #11 of 530 Old 01-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I've been really looking forward to this product. It solves for the perfect use case for my stereo listening, but sometimes needing a sub - while also accommodating for room correction. All with the ease of streaming MQA.

I'd appreciate if you can shed some light on the audio-quality, and provide any feedback and listening impressions. I wanna pull the button on it, but hesitant given the price point, and other good options like Mytek Brooklyn (minus the sub, streaming and room correction part).

I wanna ensure this is musical, and provide great sound quality.

Appreciate the response!
post #12 of 530 Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8usrnames View Post
Will you please confirm whether the sub out are stereo, not just two sub out channels.

I have been receiving pushback and getting pretty annoyed by it.
It's here.

Give me a day or two...to un-box, set-up; make impressions, etc.

Not sure how to test subs. I don't have any

post #13 of 530 Old 01-08-2019, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

In da house; out of, da box

Not sure, how I'll set it up at first. I could do Auralic Aries Mini (AAM), before I mess with the ROON set-up. Might run it to active Dynaudio X14As; or maybe as pre-amp, into an Adcom GFA-565SE...driving Revel M106s.

Will report.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020238 - Copy.JPG
Views:	2224
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	2507978  
postrokfan likes this.

post #14 of 530 Old 01-08-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
In da house; out of, da box

Not sure, how I'll set it up at first. I could do Auralic Aries Mini (AAM), before I mess with the ROON set-up. Might run it to active Dynaudio X14As; or maybe as pre-amp, into an Adcom GFA-565SE...driving Revel M106s.

Will report.

looks good! just like to know if there is a quick way to access the fixed volume (HT bypass) on the remote or the unit?
post #15 of 530 Old 01-09-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

^ I think...you'd just set it, and forget (at fixed).

post #16 of 530 Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
NAD C658 Blue OS streamer DAC

anybody got ahold of the NAD C658 Blue OS streamer DAC?
tell me about it ¡¡
where can you buy this in North America - USA?
post #17 of 530 Old 01-11-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
^ I think...you'd just set it, and forget (at fixed).
Looking forward to your impressions. Congrats.
post #18 of 530 Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I finally did the set-up (kinda), last night (need longer, balanced ICs...to run the C658 directly into my active Dynaudio X14As).

I have to admit: as this is my first exposure/experience, with BluOS; I'm a little confused...about exactly how it works

The Dual Band Wi-Fi, and 2-way Qualcomm aptX HD Bluetooth features...are fine; and I understand desirable by many. But I'm not sure, I really see the need. I have a hard wire, in my Listening Room...and I always prefer to go, wired v. wireless; when I can.

So I was kinda caught off-guard...when I hadn't bothered to attach my antennas; that I couldn't set-up ROON. Based on my vast experience, streaming; I would have thought...the Ethernet port, would have acted as a "source" (sort of like the Bridge, on PS Audio's streamers). But...with Ethernet connected, via the hard wire; my iPad was saying it could not connect with the C658. Only after I attached the antennas, did it work.

So...does that mean, the iPad throws the signal; to the C658? Then how does the Ethernet run play in?? Still sorting that out

Also...looking at the feature bullets; I realize...I didn't see ANYTHING, about the Dirac. Either in the set-up or manual. (Though I did see this, whereas I didn't before "Stereo Subwoofer Output"; though I still have no way of testing, if that's just 2 x mono or stereo. As I don't have 1 sub, much less 2).

That's about it for now.

post #19 of 530 Old 01-12-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 424
NAD C658 Blue OS streamer DAC

I’ve been looking at one of these myself and went to my local dealer but they do not have any yet. World Wide Stereo and Music Direct have them in stock.

World Wide Stereo - https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...aming-dac-c658

Music Direct - https://www.musicdirect.com/more-bes...C-Preamplifier

There’s also the NAD M10 - https://nadelectronics.com/product/m...ing-amplifier/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wassup likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro

Last edited by mbroadus; 01-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.
post #20 of 530 Old 01-12-2019, 03:44 PM

The NAD10 looks very nice... but I do not need the power
and on the C658 I don't need the Phono pre-amp
I use the AirPulse Model 1 powered monitor speakers with XLR cables
I also have a set of JBL LSR 305 mk1 that I will have some fun with when I get the C 658 up... Dirac, do yo stuff ¡!¡!
post #21 of 530 Old 01-12-2019, 03:46 PM

I am curious which ESS chip is being utilized in the C 658... the M10 says:
32-BIT/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC

Is that the Pro 9038?

edit: The C 658 is pure high resolution from input to output and features NAD’s Direct Digital 35 bit 844kHz DAC, one of the best performing DACs on the market today with its 130dB dynamic range and incredibly low jitter spec.
mbroadus, Cla55clown and Beatlover like this.

Last edited by wassup; 01-12-2019 at 05:11 PM.
post #22 of 530 Old 01-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I finally did the set-up (kinda), last night (need longer, balanced ICs...to run the C658 directly into my active Dynaudio X14As).

I have to admit: as this is my first exposure/experience, with BluOS; I'm a little confused...about exactly how it works

The Dual Band Wi-Fi, and 2-way Qualcomm aptX HD Bluetooth features...are fine; and I understand desirable by many. But I'm not sure, I really see the need. I have a hard wire, in my Listening Room...and I always prefer to go, wired v. wireless; when I can.

So I was kinda caught off-guard...when I hadn't bothered to attach my antennas; that I couldn't set-up ROON. Based on my vast experience, streaming; I would have thought...the Ethernet port, would have acted as a "source" (sort of like the Bridge, on PS Audio's streamers). But...with Ethernet connected, via the hard wire; my iPad was saying it could not connect with the C658. Only after I attached the antennas, did it work.

So...does that mean, the iPad throws the signal; to the C658? Then how does the Ethernet run play in?? Still sorting that out

Also...looking at the feature bullets; I realize...I didn't see ANYTHING, about the Dirac. Either in the set-up or manual. (Though I did see this, whereas I didn't before "Stereo Subwoofer Output"; though I still have no way of testing, if that's just 2 x mono or stereo. As I don't have 1 sub, much less 2).

That's about it for now.
The number to call is 905 831 6555. Tell the nice lady that you want to speak with the NAD technician. That's one of the best phone calls you can make. Have your C658 ready to be hooked up to the internet, and just be prepared with whatever you think is necessary for some upgrades over the hardwired ethernet cable. I see that you have already been curious enough to start hooking the unit up to the internet, so when you call the NAD tech line, you will be ready to get things straightened out.

It looks like you've had a lot of time to investigate things on your own, but the call will be a good handshake with the tech line for future reference when you need instant help. Good luck and don't get stuck in the snow.
post #23 of 530 Old 01-12-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootster View Post
The number to call is 905 831 6555. Tell the nice lady that you want to speak with the NAD technician. That's one of the best phone calls you can make. Have your C658 ready to be hooked up to the internet, and just be prepared with whatever you think is necessary for some upgrades over the hardwired ethernet cable. I see that you have already been curious enough to start hooking the unit up to the internet, so when you call the NAD tech line, you will be ready to get things straightened out.

It looks like you've had a lot of time to investigate things on your own, but the call will be a good handshake with the tech line for future reference when you need instant help. Good luck and don't get stuck in the snow.
Yeah; there's a BIG, yellow sticker on the box...that screams "Hey dumba$$; make sure you do an Internet update".

I'm no stranger to such things...and did have a look; seemed as if I was good. But...on further investigation, I see there's a whole addendum...I left in the box.

I'll see what that turns up tomorrow; otherwise...I'll make that nice-lady call, Monday

post #24 of 530 Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah; there's a BIG, yellow sticker on the box...that screams "Hey dumba$$; make sure you do an Internet update".

I'm no stranger to such things...and did have a look; seemed as if I was good. But...on further investigation, I see there's a whole addendum...I left in the box.

I'll see what that turns up tomorrow; otherwise...I'll make that nice-lady call, Monday
I'm glad that I could help out another one of the humble members of this "forum". Thanks for the "reply".

Seriously, you actually asked a question. You got an answer to your question. Sometimes a person who respond to an individuals question is responding to the entire forum, not just the particular poster who asked the question. My reply to your "question" was aimed at any and all posters who are in the same situation as the poster asking the question, not just the OP. If I somehow created an atmosphere that led you to believe that I thought you were somehow behind the times, in regards to the forum members as a whole, than I guess that is true based upon the reaction to the reply.

It's the forum decorum that puts this forum above all others with the genuinely nice atmosphere between the members. Thanks for your ability to keep within those boundaries of the humble decorum that this forum is known for, and improving upon each and every post.
post #25 of 530 Old 01-13-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Got mine on Friday

I wanted to improve my streaming capability or use it as a component instead of a pre-amp.
  • Connected to 7.1 inputs (L+R+Sub) on Marantz 8003
  • Also connected the unbalanced to CD ports on 8003
  • Also connected wired ethernet and just the BT antenna
  • Did the BluOS upgrade
  • Installed BluOS app on tablet. Tried Tunein stations. These sounded good though had issue with one that sounded slower. Figured was the source station.

Saturday
  • Installed BluOS on a PC. Configured shares and Amazon Prime. Tablet didn't have way to enter text.
  • Played CD and HiRez FLAC files. All good.
  • Played Amazon prime album. Better than expected.
  • Configured various sources and settings on 658.

That evening sat down to watch football and listen to music. After a minute or so I started having spontaneous pauses in BluOS stream. Pressing play would start it for a varying number of seconds < couple minutes. That's what I'm working on now. Hoping its a SW issue with a straightforward fix. I was really pleased with the sound and it is a huge improvement in streaming.
post #26 of 530 Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootster View Post
I'm glad that I could help out another one of the humble members of this "forum". Thanks for the "reply".

Seriously, you actually asked a question. You got an answer to your question. Sometimes a person who respond to an individuals question is responding to the entire forum, not just the particular poster who asked the question. My reply to your "question" was aimed at any and all posters who are in the same situation as the poster asking the question, not just the OP. If I somehow created an atmosphere that led you to believe that I thought you were somehow behind the times, in regards to the forum members as a whole, than I guess that is true based upon the reaction to the reply.

It's the forum decorum that puts this forum above all others with the genuinely nice atmosphere between the members. Thanks for your ability to keep within those boundaries of the humble decorum that this forum is known for, and improving upon each and every post.
Sorry; not sure, I understand your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
I wanted to improve my streaming capability or use it as a component instead of a pre-amp.
  • Connected to 7.1 inputs (L+R+Sub) on Marantz 8003
  • Also connected the unbalanced to CD ports on 8003
  • Also connected wired ethernet and just the BT antenna
  • Did the BluOS upgrade
  • Installed BluOS app on tablet. Tried Tunein stations. These sounded good though had issue with one that sounded slower. Figured was the source station.

Saturday
  • Installed BluOS on a PC. Configured shares and Amazon Prime. Tablet didn't have way to enter text.
  • Played CD and HiRez FLAC files. All good.
  • Played Amazon prime album. Better than expected.
  • Configured various sources and settings on 658.

That evening sat down to watch football and listen to music. After a minute or so I started having spontaneous pauses in BluOS stream. Pressing play would start it for a varying number of seconds < couple minutes. That's what I'm working on now. Hoping its a SW issue with a straightforward fix. I was really pleased with the sound and it is a huge improvement in streaming.
Candor...I should look, for an NAD BluOS app?

post #27 of 530 Old 01-13-2019, 11:38 AM

Liked: 418
The c658 Looks like an awesome preamp
Like an m51 or c510 but with analog inputs and built in BlueOS and DSD support.
I have the c510 and it’s great. Perfect digital volume control.

I wish they had decided to go direct digital in the new M10 steaming AMP
wassup likes this.
post #28 of 530 Old 01-13-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read there was a 4k switcher module available with the C658. Does anyone know anything about it. Is eARC or just ARC? The preamp looks very interesting for me.

Gear: Yamaha 3900,Wyred4Sound STI500 Oppo BDP83, Bryston CD1, B&W CDM9NT, Pioneer N50, Salk Soundscape 8's
post #29 of 530 Old 01-13-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeesnz View Post
I read there was a 4k switcher module available with the C658. Does anyone know anything about it. Is eARC or just ARC? The preamp looks very interesting for me.
I want to know more about it myself. I will have to use my vast reservoir of resources to find out if this would be a good component for me, seeing as I have the T777 v3. I do believe it is more of a niche' device for someone who already has a quality AVR. If you were starting out to gather components for a "separates" type system, instead of using an AVR for the main hub in a sound system, this component would be a great starting point. The advantage I can see is that it has more flexibility and perhaps a newer DAC than the T 777 v3. When I listen to music in a stereo configuration, with or without a subwoofer, I use a DAP (Digital Audio Player) to bypass the on board DAC to play DSD or high res music files anyway.

One thing I will note here is the fact that it weighs in at a whopping 22.3 lbs! There is no power amplifier in this component, and yet it weighs more than what I would have expected. Some of the mainstream branded AVR's don't even weigh this much, and they have multiple amplifiers. I'm curious as to what this can really do.
post #30 of 530 Old 01-13-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeesnz View Post
CDLehner,

The manual for the C658 has some info:

MDC HDM-2
MDC HDM-2 offers three HDMI input terminals and one HDMI output. MDC
HDM-2 adds HDMI switching and audio capability to C 658. It supports
[email protected] 4:4:4 and HDCP 2.2 compliant. With MDC HDM-2 installed, C 658
supports HDMI Control (CEC) and Audio Return Channel (ARC) functions.
Both functions are possible if external devices that also support both
features are interconnected with C 658 via HDMI connection.
If an ARC connection is established, the front panel display will show
“HDMI ARC”. Ensure that ARC-connected devices to C 658 have their audio
settings set to PCM only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
nad 658 , nad c658

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page