Monoprice HTP-1 announced. (16ch, 9.1.6 Atmos Surround Sound Processor) - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 854Likes

post #391 of 1003 Old 05-03-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 51
What is the button/port to the right of the knob?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1003 Old 05-03-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 4972
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithGuy View Post
I gotta new toy to play with this weekend
Absolutely gorgeous!!
I can tell you that I have watched a movie in Atmos, DTS:X, Auro with Dirac engaged without any showstopping issues.[/QUOTE]
"Dirac engaged" is music to my ears!!

I'll be right over!!!
llang269 likes this.
post #393 of 1003 Old 05-03-2019, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
What is the button/port to the right of the knob?
Just an IR sensor with the cover off of it.

Hobie
Monoprice - Monolith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 1003 Old 05-03-2019, 05:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2321
Quote:
I gotta new toy to play with this weekend
That's REALLY sharp looking. A few things to consider:

1) Ensure there's a setup option to disable the blue LED on the power button.
2) Ensure there's a setup option to turn the display off completely, turn the display on briefly when there's input from the user, and a mode that leaves the display on all the times.
3) If you can, try to find a way to offer optional rack mount ears for this product. Rack mounting is probably going to be a pretty common request for this. If there are some screws on the side of the chassis, it might be possible to sell optional rack mount ears that don't require a redesign of the existing chassis/faceplate.

Is the volume knob a multi-function control that can be pressed to activate menus or is it only a volume control?

It will be very interesting to find out how this compares sonically to the obvious competition (price wise) from Marantz and Emotiva. From what you've said so far, it's probably ahead of the Emotiva RMC-1 as far as stability goes at this point.

If you need any beta testers as things get further along, I know of a few Oppo beta testers who are looking for new toys to work with, though I'm not sure how many of us are setup for Atmos / DTS:X.
Spizz, Archaea and OsoSolitario like this.
post #395 of 1003 Old 05-03-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked: 3687
@MonolithGuy,

I'll throw my name in the hat to beta test - if you require such.

I could organize another AVR comparison like I did in 2014 - and compare this unit to several other vendor's high end pre-pros/AVRs.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...nsas-city.html

I currently have a Denon x7200wa and 13 identical speakers in a 9.8.4 setup, with two banks of subs grouped at different distances. The Kansas City guys are an active group and I'd have no trouble getting a half dozen flagship level pre/pro's AVRs over here, and probably 8-12 people for a day long, fair, comparison. Not sure if you are doing beta testing or even finished product testing - but if so and interested - send me a PM when that time comes. Either way, I'm following the launch of this unit closely.

DTS-X Pro and HDMI 2.1 are both reasonably close on the horizon, and I think delaying for those two integrations would probably be worthwhile as that would give you an immediate advantage over anything else currently on the market. (fully comprehending the gamble that those two techs may be delayed longer than you want to hold up release).

Rack ear concerns are easily overcome so long as the unit isn't more than 19" wide, with a simple, cheap rack shelf. So that's not a big concern IMO.
https://www.amazon.com/1U-Rack-Shelf...-1-spons&psc=1

I do agree with both @gsr 's posts on ensuring you can disable the blue power light, and ensuring the big LCD screen has dimmer and blackout options. Many of us like to have a dark home theater room - and limit the LED background light for the benefit of our projected image black floor.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 05-03-2019 at 06:56 PM.
post #396 of 1003 Old 05-03-2019, 06:43 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Rack ear concerns are easily overcome so long as the unit isn't more than 19" wide, with a simple, cheap rack shelf. So that's not a thing IMO.
https://www.amazon.com/1U-Rack-Shelf...-1-spons&psc=1
Putting something on a rack shelf isn't nearly as slick as actually mounting it to the rack and loses some of the advantages, such as being able to connect/disconnect cables without the unit moving around and having the item fill out the full width of the rack as well as a multiple of rack mount spaces so there aren't any gaps in the fitment. While I'll certainly agree that alternatives will work, having the option of rack mount ears that are designed for the product is preferable. Doing it the way Oppo did for the optional rack mounts for their products works out really well.
Spizz, LondonBenji and Molon_Labe like this.
post #397 of 1003 Old 05-03-2019, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Putting something on a rack shelf isn't nearly as slick as actually mounting it to the rack and loses some of the advantages, such as being able to connect/disconnect cables without the unit moving around and having the item fill out the full width of the rack as well as a multiple of rack mount spaces so there aren't any gaps in the fitment. While I'll certainly agree that alternatives will work, having the option of rack mount ears that are designed for the product is preferable. Doing it the way Oppo did for the optional rack mounts for their products works out really well.
This! Proper rackmount! Having now personally "leveled up" to starting to use rack mount audio/video equipment, and having been a Network Architect/working with Dell/HP/etc servers, I'm honestly shocked at the utterly appalling airflow design or no thought in airflow design at all, for the MAJORITY of rackmount audio/video equipment, with a shocking amount of devices that attempt to use vertical airflow.... wut?!

Front to back people or at least use the freaking sides....
Krobar likes this.
post #398 of 1003 Old 05-03-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
That's REALLY sharp looking. A few things to consider:

1) Ensure there's a setup option to disable the blue LED on the power button.
2) Ensure there's a setup option to turn the display off completely, turn the display on briefly when there's input from the user, and a mode that leaves the display on all the times.
3) If you can, try to find a way to offer optional rack mount ears for this product. Rack mounting is probably going to be a pretty common request for this. If there are some screws on the side of the chassis, it might be possible to sell optional rack mount ears that don't require a redesign of the existing chassis/faceplate.

Is the volume knob a multi-function control that can be pressed to activate menus or is it only a volume control?
You will be able to control the brightness levels of the display and the power button LED.

We're trying to develop a rack mount solution, but there isn't a solid timeframe for it right now, but I do hear the concern.
gsr and LondonBenji like this.

Hobie
Monoprice - Monolith
post #399 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@MonolithGuy,
DTS-X Pro and HDMI 2.1 are both reasonably close on the horizon, and I think delaying for those two integrations would probably be worthwhile as that would give you an immediate advantage over anything else currently on the market. (fully comprehending the gamble that those two techs may be delayed longer than you want to hold up release).
I'm not going to hold up the release of this product over HDMI 2.1, and there's a good reason for it: the HTP-1 is modular in design. When the HDMI 2.1 boards are available, we will develop an upgrade program for those that really want or need HDMI 2.1.

Once I have more insight into DTS:X Pro I'll be able comment more definitively.

Looks like I have a few beta volunteers! I've read a lot of the Kansas meets, and they are always really informative and sound like a great time!
gsr, chirpie, mjaudio and 3 others like this.

Hobie
Monoprice - Monolith
post #400 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
I'm not going to hold up the release of this product over HDMI 2.1, and there's a good reason for it: the HTP-1 is modular in design. When the HDMI 2.1 boards are available, we will develop an upgrade program for those that really want or need HDMI 2.1.

Looks like I have a few beta volunteers! I've read a lot of the Kansas meets, and they are always really informative and sound like a great time!
If your looking for some local beta testers there is the LA group, I can supply some high end prepros to compare

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #401 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Can we also have a picture of the rear, please?

Bryston SP4/ATI AT527/Panasonic DP-UB9000/LG OLED 65E6V
post #402 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Regarding the fortcoming HDMI 2.1 upgrade; Is it possible to do this mod. locally without the need for shipping the HTP-1 to the country of origin?
From Norway this will be quite cumbersome....

post #403 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Absolutely gorgeous!!
I can tell you that I have watched a movie in Atmos, DTS:X, Auro with Dirac engaged without any showstopping issues.
"Dirac engaged" is music to my ears!!

@MonolithGuy
Is Dirac being performed at 48khz or something higher per channel?
Is there going to be a feature to matrix front wides with front and side so there is always sound from them?
noah katz likes this.

Last edited by theblackangus; 05-04-2019 at 05:08 AM.
post #404 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@MonolithGuy ; Is the HTP-1 release date on schedule or ahead of shedule based on current status?

post #405 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Thanks for the update. It is great to hear that it is coming along. I may have said this before but HTP-1 is the only piece of gear that I'm excited about getting.
post #406 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked: 4701
Does the HTP-1 have full OSD with 4K/HDR and Dolby Vision signals like the XMC-1/RMC-1 has? If not, that would be a deal breaker for me as my processors are out of sight.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #407 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreman View Post
Regarding the fortcoming HDMI 2.1 upgrade; Is it possible to do this mod. locally without the need for shipping the HTP-1 to the country of origin?
From Norway this will be quite cumbersome....
@MonolithGuy. Also I'd like to know if that Monolith HTP-1 will be shipped worldwide (at least to Europe). At the moment, Monoprice european sites (monoprice.uk and .de) only shows few HiFi products (almost earphones and small accessories). Will we need to buy the HTP-1 directly to the USA at Monoprice/Amazon sites?

Thanks!
Spizz and Extreman like this.
post #408 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 4851 Post(s)
Liked: 5178
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Does the HTP-1 have full OSD with 4K/HDR and Dolby Vision signals like the XMC-1/RMC-1 has? If not, that would be a deal breaker for me as my processors are out of sight.
I believe we've heard there won't be any OSD on the display at all. Everything will be controlled through IP and the detailed info you'd get on an OSD will be available by using a browser on a tablet / PC to interface with the processor.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #409 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Will it be possible to double the FR & FL outputs to e.g. Sub 2 & 3 that will be unused in my 7.1.2 line up?
Or is this the intention with the RCA second out?
In this case, do you pull down the +6dB on the XLR outputs or is it 100% independent from an electrical point of view?

post #410 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I believe we've heard there won't be any OSD on the display at all. Everything will be controlled through IP and the detailed info you'd get on an OSD will be available by using a browser on a tablet / PC to interface with the processor.
I don't believe there is a web/http server but rather a VNC server like with Trinnov and Datasat (or even Rasperry Pi).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virt...work_Computing
post #411 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Will it be possible to double the FR & FL outputs to e.g. Sub 2 & 3 that will be unused in my 7.1.2 line up?
Why would one need this? Hobie answered the question regarding active bi-amping previously. The system is capable but the feature will not be active initially. One can use a Y-splitter for passive bi-amping if so desired.
Quote:
Or is this the intention with the RCA second out?
That is a zone 2 output
Quote:
In this case, do you pull down the +6dB on the XLR outputs or is it 100% independent from an electrical point of view?
It is independent from an electrical point of view. It is no different from split-phase 240V AC power delivered to our homes in the US. Both legs deliver balanced 240Vrms to thirsty appliances. Just one leg (unbalanced aka single-ended) results in 120Vrms which calculates to a difference of ~6dB. A 3Vrms balanced output will deliver 1.5Vrms unbalanced.
post #412 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Enrico, I've never visited a home cinema powered by a Trinnov or Datasat where the processor is out of site. Sight

Maybe a test drive of a unit via VNC (PC, tablet, or phone) would be helpful?

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 05-04-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #413 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Enrico, I've never visited a home cinema powered by a Trinnov or Datasat where the processor is out of site.

Maybe a test drive of a unit via VNC (PC, tablet, or phone) would be helpful?
I said "out of sight", not "out of site" OSD overlay is a very convenient function and a must have for me on any processor. The XMC-1 OSD overlay is one of the best, if not the best I have ever seen. Denon/Marantz OSD comes in 2nd place. I know I can use my iPad or iPhone or even a computer to get access to OSD but that would be another gadget that you have to have next to you. On my Harmony Elite remote I have a dedicated remote button assigned (DVR) as the receiver/processor INFO on every activity I have programmed on my Harmony Elite.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #414 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 866
^^^^

OSD is convenient, but if it’s a deal breaker you’ll be really limiting your choices. It seems a lot of these newer, advanced pre-pro’s are moving away from using OSD.
llang269 likes this.
post #415 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is a zone 2 output It is independent from an electrical point of view. It is no different from split-phase 240V AC power delivered to our homes in the US. Both legs deliver balanced 240Vrms to thirsty appliances. Just one leg (unbalanced aka single-ended) results in 120Vrms which calculates to a difference of ~6dB. A 3Vrms balanced output will deliver 1.5Vrms unbalanced.
Thx, but I think you misunderstood this one. It has nothing to do with mains power.
The point is that if you connect a single ended output to one leg of the balanced signal (e.g. transformer) you ‘unbalance’ the XLR output if the connected load is low. Normally a preamp input impedance is in the region >50kOhm so this is very high compared with the low output impedance of the HTP-1. But in some instances it might influence the +6dB extra gain on the XLR output if they are not completely independent, i.e. via a line driver.

post #416 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:

If you need a beta tester for arctic conditions I'm your huckleberry!

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #417 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
If you need a beta tester for arctic conditions I'm your huckleberry!
@MonolithGuy Happy to Beta Test for the UK market, if one can be sent :-)

AVR: Marantz SR7011 (11.2 Atmos/DTS-X/Auro3D), Amps: Parasound HCA-2205a, Rotel rkb-8100, Front L/R: Tannoy DC10Ti, Center: Tannoy D750, Surrounds: Kef 3001, B&W 601S3
Heights: Focal Domes, B&W M1, Subwoofers: Tannoy TS2.10, Genelec HTS4
post #418 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 3436 Post(s)
Liked: 4124
Quote:
This beta volunteer brings Texas brisket and ice cold Shiner Bock to the bargaining table. You should go with your gut when it comes to difficult decisions
Archaea, llang269 and ioanni like this.
post #419 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thx, but I think you misunderstood this one. It has nothing to do with mains power.
I'm sorry. I thought it was a good, easy to understand analogy... electrically speaking.

I guess I'm even more confused now.
gsr likes this.
post #420 of 1003 Old 05-04-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
^^^^

OSD is convenient, but if it’s a deal breaker you’ll be really limiting your choices. It seems a lot of these newer, advanced pre-pro’s are moving away from using OSD.
I know most "advanced processors" are moving away from using OSD. In fact, Lonnie from Emotiva asked on the Lounge what were our thoughts about moving away from using OSD overlay on Emotiva processors as that would make their codec job easier and about 90% responded that if they did that, most customers will go another route. I know OSD overlay is a PITA after HDR and Dolby Vision standards but hey, if Marantz/Denon can do it in their $400 receivers, why you have to settle for less when paying over $2500 for a processor? That makes no sense to me, sorry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page