Monoprice HTP-1 announced. (16ch, 9.1.6 Atmos Surround Sound Processor) - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1296Likes

post #991 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Non-expert here. Why should they be using LR4 crossovers?
No idea sorry, its in the Arcam 550/850 thread somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
News to me, but cool

I thought I read that the JBL '55 would not include them.
News to me too. I was informed that JBL/Revel curves were NOT going to make it into the SDP55.

Back to the HTP1

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #993 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by apcreek View Post
I'm currently using a Arcam 390 as a processor, sounds great but they still haven't fixed the bug in the latest firmware so am reluctant to go with them again tbh. I can't do wides in my 5.2x3.3M room, but I have been thinking of possibly one day adding Top Fronts or Top Middles.

When are you demoing the XMC-2 and AV40?
I thought they changed that well over a year ago? I had a conversation at the Harman facility with Nick Clarke (head or Arcam's engineering) where he said they rotated it.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I thought they changed that well over a year ago? I had a conversation at the Harman facility with Nick Clarke (head or Arcam's engineering) where he said they rotated it.
It was rotated Q1CY18

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #995 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 08:33 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Could we please attempt to keep this thread focused on the Monoprice product? There are specific threads for the other products and a comparison thread for the newer 16 channel options. If there’s nothing new to discuss about the HTP-1 for a few days, it’s OK for this thread to have no new posts for a few days...
VooBass and llang269 like this.
post #996 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Which Momentum Data Systems platform is used in the HTP-1?

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #997 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 4908 Post(s)
Liked: 5289
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Could we please attempt to keep this thread focused on the Monoprice product? There are specific threads for the other products and a comparison thread for the newer 16 channel options. If there’s nothing new to discuss about the HTP-1 for a few days, it’s OK for this thread to have no new posts for a few days...
It didn't start spontaneously because people were bored, I asked a specific question about how the recent developments coming out of CEDIA impact people's views on the HTP-1 vs a newly changed competitive landscape. While I agree that minutiae like an Arcam bass management bug are out of scope, I don't think discussing brand new products which are direct competitors and how they compare with the HTP-1 is inappropriate for this thread. I'm interested in hearing feedback about how this recontextualizes the HTP-1's market position (and it's also likely the case that Monoprice will be interested as well).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #998 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I can totally see you not wanting this to go south like the Atmos thread (in relation to BEQ), and I feel the same. It’s prolly my fault for going a little too far into the Arcam discussion, but I feel the fork here was the question the poster asked above on other units, and I think it was a fair, honest, and good question. We’re all in the market for the best solution and comparisons are paramount.
post #999 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Non-expert here. Why should they be using LR4 crossovers?
Because LR4 crossovers for both HP and LP sum correctly to unity. Asymmetric crossovers used in the Arcams (Butterworth 2nd order for highpass and Linkwitz-Riley 4th order for lowpass do not).
post #1000 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhouse_ View Post
Because LR4 crossovers for both HP and LP sum correctly to unity. Asymmetric crossovers used in the Arcams (Butterworth 2nd order for highpass and Linkwitz-Riley 4th order for lowpass do not).

IIRC, the asymmetric XO scheme is left over from THX days when use was assumed of a THX sealed satellite speaker having a 2nd-order acoustic rolloff which when summed with a end-order XO in the processor would sum to 4th-order.

The assumption was flawed because not everyone had such speakers, and the actual acoustic rolloff is highly dependent on the room.
DS-21, batpig and andyc56 like this.

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 10-15-2019 at 11:17 AM.
post #1001 of 1423 Old 10-15-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Once the HTP-1 is released and proven reliable I will probably pick one up. But honestly the Emo XMC-2 is priced right and does (will do ie Dirac) everything I need... except work. Will have to wait and see which one crosses the finish line first.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #1002 of 1423 Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by flax View Post
It's worth noting though that asymmetrical crossovering has been adopted by others as well in order to take the natural slope in the low frequency response of small speakers into account.

That may be applicable or not depending on speakers but Dirac Live will have no difficulties in compensating for the eventual small bump at the crossover caused by filters not summing up to unity.

Flavio
Dirac does not correct the summed response so the bump will still be present. BTW the bump ist not the big problem. The different phase of the sub and the Speakers is since BW12 shifts the signal by 180 degrees at the XO frequency where LR24 shifts it by 260 degrees. The resulting phase differnence of 180 degrees will cause a serious dip in response.
post #1003 of 1423 Old 10-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 337
@ steakhouse
you're right and I stand corrected, skipped the fact that they are measured and corrected individually... hasty post deleted.

Thanks, Flavio

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Last edited by flax; 10-16-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #1004 of 1423 Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Curious question - I see the back of the Monoprice unit has a three prong outlet, so it’ll have a ground.

My Marantz 7704 has a two prong. No ground.

What’s the advantage for a Pre/Pro using the three prong?

Only thing I’ve heard is in relation to the Denon/Marantz using two prongs - they can hum/buzz.

Three prongs eliminates this possibility?
post #1005 of 1423 Old 10-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 4702 Post(s)
Liked: 2749
Quote:
Curious question - I see the back of the Monoprice unit has a three prong outlet, so it’ll have a ground.

Only thing I’ve heard is in relation to the Denon/Marantz using two prongs - they can hum/buzz.

You answered your own question. You want a ground point since you are using XLR connectors, for one thing.
RichB likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #1006 of 1423 Old 10-19-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
You answered your own question. You want a ground point since you are using XLR connectors, for one thing.

That makes sense. I wonder why other AVRs don’t use one?
post #1007 of 1423 Old 10-19-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
That makes sense. I wonder why other AVRs don’t use one?

Most AVR's don't use XLR connectors that require a ground. They're using RCA connectors.

post #1008 of 1423 Old 10-19-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most AVR's don't use XLR connectors that require a ground. They're using RCA connectors.

Right now my hum/buzz is isolated to my projector. Really don’t want to use a cheater plug on that, but I don’t know much about them. I also have a dimmer that I think might be causing the problem.
post #1009 of 1423 Old 10-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Right now my hum/buzz is isolated to my projector. Really don’t want to use a cheater plug on that, but I don’t know much about them. I also have a dimmer that I think might be causing the problem.

Is the light dimmer on the same circuit or same phase as the AV electronics? That can cause 60 Hz humming. You MAY need to get an AV isolation transformer.

post #1010 of 1423 Old 10-19-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is the light dimmer on the same circuit or same phase as the AV electronics? That can cause 60 Hz humming. You MAY need to get an AV isolation transformer.

Nope. There’s one 15a that runs all the lights (dimmer is on that) Two 20a circuits that run everything else.

I believe the romex runs together in certain places between all three circuits.
post #1011 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Nope. There’s one 15a that runs all the lights (dimmer is on that) Two 20a circuits that run everything else.

I believe the romex runs together in certain places between all three circuits.
You didn't answer the question -- go to your electrical box, see if the 15a and 20a are on the same phase. In a column of breakers, phase alternates every breaker. So, in a 8 breaker columns it'd be:

A
B
A
B
A
B
A
B

If the lights are in an "A" slot and the A/V circuits are both in "B" slots, then they are on different phases (likewise, swapping "A" for "B", obviously).

If they are in different columns then you may want to check your panel to see how it arranges the columns' phase. I am not sure if each column of breaker panels are always arranged this way, but mine is:

A A
B B
A A
B B
etc.

And it makes sense for it to be arranged this way because of how the service enters the panel, but...I can't speak for every panel box.
post #1012 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
You didn't answer the question -- go to your electrical box, see if the 15a and 20a are on the same phase. In a column of breakers, phase alternates every breaker. So, in a 8 breaker columns it'd be:

A
B
A
B
A
B
A
B

If the lights are in an "A" slot and the A/V circuits are both in "B" slots, then they are on different phases (likewise, swapping "A" for "B", obviously).

If they are in different columns then you may want to check your panel to see how it arranges the columns' phase. I am not sure if each column of breaker panels are always arranged this way, but mine is:

A A
B B
A A
B B
etc.

And it makes sense for it to be arranged this way because of how the service enters the panel, but...I can't speak for every panel box.

Both of your layouts match Eaton (a major manufacturer) service entrance panels.
post #1013 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:

Quote:

It's not quite clear here what you are saying, but...

The third prong is the safety ground. The safety ground wire is attached to the neutral at the service entrance panel. The safety ground and signal ground (and other grounds in an AVR/AVP) are not the same thing.

XLR (balanced) connections can implemented in equipment with a two or three prong electrical power plug. Safety grounds can be implemented without an earth ground, think airplanes, although connection of the neutral/ground to the earth ground is required by code in the U.S. An earth ground is a actually to protect against lightening strikes, that is, to protect against threats from outside the home. An interesting and frankly confusing subject...

A three prong plug doesn't eliminate the possibility of a ground loop. Depending on the design of all the equipment involved a three prong connector may help cause a ground loop since it provides another opportunity for access to a different ground potential.
RichB, gsr, Archaea and 1 others like this.
post #1014 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 5592 Post(s)
Liked: 5180
Quote:
There will always be the possibility for ground loops whether two or three prong. IME, having chassis/safety ground (3-prong) is a better practice. Neutral is just not a reliable ground as it conducts circuit current.

I prefer to add a chassis to earth ground connection to D+M SSPs (usually via phono ground connector). A properly grounded system is less susceptible to noise. Cheater plugs are troubleshooting tools not solutions for me.

Edit: changed earth to safety ground
ScottieBoysName likes this.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 10-21-2019 at 05:13 PM.
post #1015 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 5592 Post(s)
Liked: 5180
I know there is a lot of interest in this processor. I have a beta unit and can answer some questions you may have (with @MonolithGuy 's authorization).

Some info I think many are interested in:

• The HTP-1 is a new product designed from the ground up to Monoprice's specifications. It is not a rebadged or retooled Datasat (while I suspect the ATP-16 is a variation of the Datasat platform) or any other product.

• The HTP-1 is controlled via IR remote, front panel touch screen, or HTTP (not VNC). The HTP-1 is configured via HTTP.

• The volume control chipset is the CS3318. www.cirrus.com/products/cs3308-18/

• The unit is limited to 48kHz Dirac processing. However, 96kHz and 192kHz are reproduced without conversion with Dirac disabled.
post #1016 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I know there is a lot of interest in this processor. I have a beta unit and can answer some questions you may have (with @MonolithGuy 's authorization).

• The HTP-1 is a new product designed from the ground up to Monoprice's specifications. It is not a rebadged or retooled Datasat (while I suspect the ATP-16 is a variation of the Datasat platform) or any other product.

• The HTP-1 is controlled via IR remote, front panel touch screen, or HTTP (not VNC). The HTP-1 is configured via HTTP.

• The unit is limited to 48kHz Dirac processing. However, 96kHz and 192kHz are reproduced without conversion with Dirac disabled.
Any information on date of availability?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #1017 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Does it do pure DSD decoding as well from those types of audio files? Sampling rates?

post #1018 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 170
OSD?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #1019 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
It's not quite clear here what you are saying, but...

The third prong is the safety ground. The safety ground wire is attached to the neutral at the service entrance panel. The safety ground and signal ground (and other grounds in an AVR/AVP) are not the same thing.

XLR (balanced) connections can implemented in equipment with a two or three prong electrical power plug. Safety grounds can be implemented without an earth ground, think airplanes, although connection of the neutral/ground to the earth ground is required by code in the U.S. An earth ground is a actually to protect against lightening strikes, that is, to protect against threats from outside the home. An interesting and frankly confusing subject...

A three prong plug doesn't eliminate the possibility of a ground loop. Depending on the design of all the equipment involved a three prong connector may help cause a ground loop since it provides another opportunity for access to a different ground potential.

Gotcha. Thanks! Great explanation.
post #1020 of 1423 Old 10-21-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There will always be the possibility for ground loops whether two or three prong. IME, having chassis/safety ground (3-prong) is a better practice. Neutral is just not a reliable ground as it conducts circuit current.

I prefer to add a chassis to earth ground connection to D+M SSPs (usually via phono ground connector). A properly grounded system is less susceptible to noise. Cheater plugs are troubleshooting tools not solutions for me.

Edit: changed earth to safety ground

Thanks Marc!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page