New IMAX Enhanced Partners and Content Announced - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #1 of 99 Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9068 Post(s)
Liked: 15984
New IMAX Enhanced Partners and Content Announced

Read the homepage article by clicking here

Full press release:

"IMAX Corporation (NYSE: IMAX) and audio leader, DTS®, a wholly owned subsidiary of Xperi Corporation (Nasdaq: XPER), today announced a significant expansion of their IMAX® Enhanced program to offer consumers a new level of quality in home entertainment. Streaming leaders, Tencent Video, FandangoNOW and Rakuten TV, and global device partners, Arcam, Elite, Integra, Lexicon, Onkyo, Pioneer, TCL and Trinnov have joined the IMAX® Enhanced program. The companies also announced the first IMAX Enhanced blockbuster titles from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Paramount Pictures to be released in 2019.

As part of today’s announcement, Tencent Video (China), FandangoNOW (U.S.), and Rakuten TV (Europe) will stream IMAX Enhanced content to certified devices beginning in 2019. Additionally, Privilege 4K (U.S.) will stream IMAX Enhanced content to select Sony BRAVIA televisions beginning this year. Only digital retailers that meet the highest standards for 4K HDR streaming will be authorized to distribute IMAX Enhanced content.

The companies also announced the first IMAX Enhanced titles to be released on streaming platforms and Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release “Venom” and “Alpha” amongst 15 confirmed launch titles via participating digital retailers. Additionally, Paramount Pictures will make its initial titles available in 2019. In early December 2018, the IMAX documentaries, “Journey to the South Pacific” and “A Beautiful Planet,” were the first IMAX Enhanced Ultra HD Blu-ray discs to be released. They are available for purchase through Amazon and major retailers.

Arcam, Elite, Integra, Lexicon, Onkyo, Pioneer, TCL and Trinnov join Sony Electronics and Sound United brands, Denon and Marantz, as IMAX Enhanced device partners. Arcam, Elite, Integra, Lexicon, Onkyo, Pioneer and Trinnov will offer IMAX Enhanced-certified A/V receivers and TCL will debut IMAX Enhanced-certified televisions in select regions beginning in 2019. Additional information about specific products and availability will be forthcoming.

“We’re encouraged by the significant momentum and high-caliber partners that are embracing the IMAX Enhanced program in just the first few months of its launch,” said IMAX CFO and Head of Corporate Strategy & Development Patrick McClymont. “These premium partners and the blockbuster titles announced today extend our product and content offering and advance our efforts to deliver the best at-home entertainment experiences to more consumers around the world.”

“We are pleased to announce the growth of the IMAX Enhanced ecosystem with leading studios, streaming services, and device partners who share our vision of raising the bar for home entertainment by delivering the highest quality content to premium devices,” said Xperi EVP and Chief Products and Services Officer, Geir Skaaden.

The IMAX Enhanced program, announced in September 2018, combines the highest-end consumer electronics products with IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies to offer consumers a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences for the home. Televisions, projectors and A/V receivers from Sony Electronics, A/V receivers from Denon and Marantz, and content collaborations with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Paramount Pictures were announced at launch.

The IMAX Enhanced program uses the newest, proprietary post-production process developed by IMAX to digitally re-master content to produce more vibrant colors, greater contrast and sharper clarity. IMAX and DTS have also partnered with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to use a special variant of the DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience with more immersive, powerful sound. The companies are also designing an IMAX Mode or suggesting the most suitable picture mode for the enhanced devices that will be meticulously optimized to play the digitally re-mastered content as the filmmaker intended in the home.

For more information about the IMAX Enhanced program, please visit www.IMAXenhanced.com.
" - IMAX

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-20-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 01-07-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4591 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
So far, it looks to be more like bull pucky than anything. IMAX and DTS are groping.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #3 of 99 Old 01-07-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 7165 Post(s)
Liked: 6175
Finally, studio titles.
tenthplanet likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Finally, studio titles.
Indeed... this whole initiative depends on content.
sdurani and tenthplanet like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I still have no idea what IMAX enhanced actually means in terms of differences in content. Some of the promotional material makes it sound like a new HDR format, but it appears to rely on HDR 10 with special video processing of the HDR signal on the content creation side. The audio appears to just be DTS' immersive audio format. I don't need new gear for either of these, so why the big push for "IMAX enhanced gear?"
mik2h likes this.
post #6 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5024 Post(s)
Liked: 3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
I still have no idea what IMAX enhanced actually means in terms of differences in content. Some of the promotional material makes it sound like a new HDR format, but it appears to rely on HDR 10 with special video processing of the HDR signal on the content creation side. The audio appears to just be DTS' immersive audio format. I don't need new gear for either of these, so why the big push for "IMAX enhanced gear?"
Marketing

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Well Dolby and DTS battled on the audio front for the longest of time...

Dolby has expanded to the video side of things with Dolby Vision

So DTS kinda feels the need to do something about that..... but instead of doing their own separate thing they decided yo team up with IMAX, a well known and respected name in the Video Industry for instant street Cred and thus

IMAX Enhanced was born

- that's just my official unlicensed take on how things went down
MJB1023 and richardsim7 like this.
post #8 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
For the content itself it means the video is processed at the mastering stage, and in some cases the aspect ratio shifts featured in theatrical presentations will also be included. For the mastering, noise and/or film grain is mitigated to the extent needed to make it look natural on HDR displays (otherwise it looks exaggerated). These are features anyone buying the disc and watching it on any display will be able to appreciate.

Yes IMAX enhanced uses the existing technologies of HDR10 and DTS:X. This is a plus, not a minus. It means the discs and streams will work on just about any system that supports HDR 4K and DTS surround sound. IMAX did not want to create a format that freezes people out, so content uses currently available, ubiquitous formats and simply plays. Long story short, some of the what IMAX Enhanced offers is baked right into "software" i.e. the content.

But...

IMAX is about big screens. IMAX is about big sound. So, IMAX Enhanced certified gear amounts to equipment that passes a threshold of performance. Beyond that, metadata flags automatically configure gear to play back IMAX Enhanced.

On the audio side things are more complex. You'll still hear a standard surround mix if you do not have IMAX Enhanced AV gear. But if you do have the gear, it will go into an IMAX Enhanced mode that more closely emulates how audio is delivered in IMAX commercial cinemas.

It's clear not everyone sees value in it. But the key thing to note is that IMAX is involved in filmmaking starting with the cameras, so uninformed cynics who are immediately dismissive that it's "another THX" need to take into account that IMAX is involved in the filmmaking process every step of the way and that when you provide the primary cameras for action scenes in Marvel movies, you likely know what you are doing.

People are looking for some mysterious thing that's simply not there. Gear the performs at a high level will play back IMAX Enhanced content in a satisfying manner. If you want to come closest to creative intent and how IMAX movies are shown at the premiere then looking for the IMAX Enhanced logo is an easy way for consumers to do it.

Someone who built out their system last year should be in no hurry to upgrade, their system will do the content justice regardless of whether it's "official" IMAX Enhanced or not. Just look at how Sony's projectors were retroactively included...

For now, the focus should be on the content itself and how it differs from a standard 4K HDR release of the film.
tenthplanet and Blitzdog like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
The video is processed in "IMAX style" (some noise reduction, enhanced colours, etc.), and delivered over standard HDR10 or HDR10+.
The audio is where the most differences are, when the IMAX content is detected, it's doing some proprietary override of the bass management and applying a 70Hz global value crossover for subwoofer, and delivered over standard DTS:X with a IMAX flag stamped. Also, the soundtrack is mixed louder than regular, non-IMAX titles, so it can have more impact on the viewer. So it messes also the reference calibration of your system. After the title is stopped, the modifications are returned to their previous values.

Conclusions: you do not loose anything by ignoring IMAX Enhanced. As @markmon1 said, is mostly marketing, to counter the Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos big market penetration.
post #10 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
I read elsewhere that this "enhancement" will be movies in full screen 16x9 with DNR to scrub out the grain to make it look clean. However, in my mind, IMAX is a large format presentation and anything less than 100" would be a waste. Still can't get over the ridiculous notion that 55"/65" displays warrant 8K and in most cases the 4K looks no different than 1080p and normal viewing distances at those small sizes. I guess those with CIH screens are screwed out of the IMAX Enhancement and shouldn't even bother with it. Those are typically with screen sizes that truly matter.
It is my hope that members here will make a conscious effort to properly describe what is happening. First of all, the expansion to 16x9 will occurr during scenes that are shot with IMAX cameras. In these scenes, the view will actually expand because otherwise the top and bottom are cropped to make it 2.40:1. The key point is you actually see more of the scene this way. But that does not mean the whole movie will be 16x9, Just the expanded scenes. This is exactly how the movies are presented in IMAX commercial cinemas and therefore represents director's intent.

As for the noise reduction, grain is not being scrubbed to make it look clean. The reason that digital noise reduction is applied is to mitigate the effect of HDR on noise and film grain. The reasoning behind this is that noise/grain that looks proper in commercial theatrical presentations will look exaggerated on a display that has high native contrast. So, think of it more as a compensation for the fact that home HDR is mastered to 1000 or 4000 nits while commercial cinema presentations are not. It's a necessary and advantageous step, and not akin to how Vudu just blasts some movies with DNR and eliminates grain altogether.
Arqos, tenthplanet and mik2h like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #11 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
The video is processed in "IMAX style" (some noise reduction, enhanced colours, etc.), and delivered over standard HDR10 or HDR10+.
The audio is where the most differences are, when the IMAX content is detected, it's doing some proprietary override of the bass management and applying a 70Hz global value crossover for subwoofer, and delivered over standard DTS:X with a IMAX flag stamped. Also, the soundtrack is mixed louder than regular, non-IMAX titles, so it can have more impact on the viewer. So it messes also the reference calibration of your system. After the title is stopped, the modifications are returned to their previous values.

Conclusions: you do not loose anything by ignoring IMAX Enhanced. As @markmon1 said, is mostly marketing, to counter the Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos big market penetration.
What you'll probably want to mention here is that IMAX Enhanced uses second-order filters and its own "recipe" to deliver bass in a manner consistent with its commercial cinemas. It means that the speakers are handling more of the bass in a region where you often see issues with room effect causing peaks and dips in response. So... this "formula" has the rest of the speakers "smooth out" that response by having ALL the other speaker pitch in a little bit. It's actually a great approach as long as your speakers and amplification are up to it since most folks are not going to go beyond two subs in their system and many will only use one. This brings a little bit of the advantage of a multi-sub system.

Also, nobody needs to "ignore" it... if you buy the disc and play it, you are watching IMAX Enhanced. If people want to build on that, the logo gear is certified to deliver the optimal presentation of that content. And on the sound side, you simply cannot set up your AVR to emulate the IMAX Enhanced mode, and even if you could it would be a pain in the butt to switch from that mode to a regular mode for other content. So, having that be automated is quite advantageous.

But yeah... IMAX Enhanced content will work with non IMAX Enhanced gear so people can "ignore" it per se.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-18-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #12 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Thanks @imagic and @dfa973 for the explanations. I do agree the lack of a new proprietary format is an advantage. I'll stick to DTS:X on my new Marantz 6012 since that appears preferable to me to the IMAX enhanced overrides. Once I finally upgrade my TV, which I believe will finally be this year to take the 4k HDR plunge with an OLED, I will assume it's more than capable of meeting the video standards even though LG products are not being certified by IMAX.

With Dolby making huge leaps in the audio format competition (I assume due to their presence in commercial theaters), it was smart for DTS to sign on as the exclusive audio format to movies that will have IMAX aspect ratio shifts for scenes shot on IMAX cameras. All that said, I think the marketing focus should be less about new gear certification and more about the guarantee of quality on the content along with 16x9 aspect ratio finally coming to HDR Blu-Rays.
post #13 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Thanks @imagic and @dfa973 for the explanations. I do agree the lack of a new proprietary format is an advantage. I'll stick to DTS:X on my new Marantz 6012 since that appears preferable to me to the IMAX enhanced overrides. Once I finally upgrade my TV, which I believe will finally be this year to take the 4k HDR plunge with an OLED, I will assume it's more than capable of meeting the video standards even though LG products are not being certified by IMAX.

With Dolby making huge leaps in the audio format competition (I assume due to their presence in commercial theaters), it was smart for DTS to sign on as the exclusive audio format to movies that will have IMAX aspect ratio shifts for scenes shot on IMAX cameras. All that said, I think the marketing focus should be less about new gear certification and more about the guarantee of quality on the content along with 16x9 aspect ratio finally coming to HDR Blu-Rays.
Hard to do that without content

It'll be different when dozens of movies are out.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #14 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
What you'll probably want to mention here is that IMAX Enhanced uses second-order filters instead of fourth order filters for the subwoofer crossover.
Can you post where IMAX said that?

Quote:
That and the 70 Hz crossover point means that the speakers are handling more of the bass in a region where you often see issues with room effect causing peaks and dips in response.
I am not so sure that the reason for 70Hz global crossover was for the benefit of improving the room response...
Knowing IMAX, I believe that the lowered crossover motivation is to put more bass to the speakers, so that the overall sound is BIGGER, more POWERFULL, how IMAX likes and does in IMAX cinema's. Linked to increased sound level of the soundtrack, it makes sense.
post #15 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Can you post where IMAX said that?

I am not so sure that the reason for 70Hz global crossover was for the benefit of improving the room response...

Knowing IMAX, I believe that the lowered crossover motivation is to put more bass to the speakers, so that the overall sound is BIGGER, more POWERFULL, how IMAX likes and does in IMAX cinema's. Linked to increased sound level of the soundtrack, it makes sense.
I'm sure of it being a technical reason for doing that because it was said to me, verbally, by someone who would know. That's why you will not find it in writing. It was not just a random show rep, it was during a lunchtime meeting with the DTS folks at CES. The explanation was totally clear and logical

The IMAX folks noted that yes, "big" bass sound is part of the experience. But... the technical rationale includes what I described, which if you set up and measure a lot of systems in different residential rooms, makes a fair bit of sense. You can always "dial in" more bass but if you have peaks and nulls then that variation in response will dominate the individual experience, based on exactly where you are seated. Mitigating the effects of peaks and nulls in typical residential spaces is a valid reason to use a 70 Hz crossover and the different application of crossover slopes vs. standard bass management in AVRs.
sdrucker and MJB1023 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-18-2019 at 08:27 AM.
post #16 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Yet another reason to stick with 16:9 screens.
Mashie Saldana likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #17 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
It is my hope that members here will make a conscious effort to properly describe what is happening. First of all, the expansion to 16x9 will occurr during scenes that are shot with IMAX cameras. In these scenes, the view will actually expand because otherwise the top and bottom are cropped to make it 2.40:1. The key point is you actually see more of the scene this way. But that does not mean the whole movie will be 16x9, Just the expanded scenes. This is exactly how the movies are presented in IMAX commercial cinemas and therefore represents director's intent.
Otherwise known as the "Christopher Nolan Effect."
imagic and tenthplanet like this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #18 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What you'll probably want to mention here is that IMAX Enhanced uses second-order filters instead of fourth order filters for the subwoofer crossover.
Yes, using a second-order slope means that the slope is less aggressive so the bass "leaks" more in the speakers and also content above the crossover "leaks" into the subwoofer. Since in IMAX cinema there is no LFE channel, probably this is the way IMAX is simulating the IMAX "sound" at home.
post #19 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For the content itself it means the video is processed at the mastering stage, and in some cases the aspect ratio shifts featured in theatrical presentations will also be included. For the mastering, noise and/or film grain is mitigated to the extent needed to make it look natural on HDR displays (otherwise it looks exaggerated). These are features anyone buying the disc and watching it on any display will be able to appreciate.

Yes IMAX enhanced uses the existing technologies of HDR10 and DTS:X. This is a plus, not a minus. It means the discs and streams will work on just about any system that supports HDR 4K and DTS surround sound. IMAX did not want to create a format that freezes people out, so content uses currently available, ubiquitous formats and simply plays. Long story short, some of the what IMAX Enhanced offers is baked right into "software" i.e. the content.

But...

IMAX is about big screens. IMAX is about big sound. So, IMAX Enhanced certified gear amounts to equipment that passes a threshold of performance. Beyond that, metadata flags automatically configure gear to play back IMAX Enhanced.

On the audio side things are more complex. You'll still hear a standard surround mix if you do not have IMAX Enhanced AV gear. But if you do have the gear, it will go into an IMAX Enhanced mode that more closely emulates how audio is delivered in IMAX commercial cinemas.

It's clear not everyone sees value in it. But the key thing to note is that IMAX is involved in filmmaking starting with the cameras, so uninformed cynics who are immediately dismissive that it's "another THX" need to take into account that IMAX is involved in the filmmaking process every step of the way and that when you provide the primary cameras for action scenes in Marvel movies, you likely know what you are doing.

People are looking for some mysterious thing that's simply not there. Gear the performs at a high level will play back IMAX Enhanced content in a satisfying manner. If you want to come closest to creative intent and how IMAX movies are shown at the premiere then looking for the IMAX Enhanced logo is an easy way for consumers to do it.

Someone who built out their system last year should be in no hurry to upgrade, their system will do the content justice regardless of whether it's "official" IMAX Enhanced or not. Just look at how Sony's projectors were retroactively included...

For now, the focus should be on the content itself and how it differs from a standard 4K HDR release of the film.
That was smart the way DTS & IMAX approached things allowing the receiver to do the processing rather than TV
This was something I thought DOLBY would have done with Dolby Vision but instead you need to have a Dolby Vision TV to see benefits
post #20 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
That was smart the way DTS & IMAX approached things allowing the receiver to do the processing rather than TV
This was something I thought DOLBY would have done with Dolby Vision but instead you need to have a Dolby Vision TV to see benefits
AVRs will simply pass the HDR10 from IMAX Enhanced video content to the display. The processing is related to audio.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #21 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I still have no idea what IMAX enhanced actually means in terms of differences in content.
IMAX shows their own versions of commercial movies, which can vary from their counterparts when it comes to aspect ratio, run time, colour timing, noise reduction, sound mix, etc. These IMAX versions of commercial movies are seen by the public for 2 or 3 weeks and then end up sitting on a shelf forever. IMAX already got permission from the studios to show these versions theatrically; now they're getting permission to release these versions on home video. The IMAX Enhanced program allows IMAX to monetize these dormant resources by releasing them on home video in a way that was closer to what was experienced in IMAX theatres. One example:

IMAX soundtracks don't have a LFE channel. Each channel is high passed at 24dB per octave (4th order) at 70Hz to feed the speakers, with everything below that going to the subs. Most consumer gear high passes at 12dB per octave (2nd order). To mimic IMAX theatrical bass management, the IMAX Enhance mode auto-switches the crossover to 70Hz; the 4th order high pass is achieved by pre-filtering the soundtrack with a 2nd order high pass filter which, when combined with the 2nd order high pass in the crossover, results in 4th order high pass. So IMAX Enhanced soundtracks are pre bass managed, with bass below 70Hz having been filtered out and put into a LFE channel (in this case, containing re-directed bass rather than discrete Low Frequency Effects).

Also, since IMAX theatres have tall screens, their sound format includes an upper centre speaker at the top of the screen high above the centre speaker. Many theatrical 5.1 mixes were re-mixed to 6.0 for IMAX theatrical release to take advantage of the upper centre speaker. The upper centre is also used for the more recent IMAX 12-channel immersive format. The home version DTS:X (and Atmos, for that matter) has a base layer and height layer of speakers, but no speaker location in between (at or near the top of the screen). Sound from the IMAX upper centre channel is therefore encoded as an audio object on IMAX Enhanced soundtracks; the object is tagged with coordinates above the centre speaker but mid way between the base layer and height layer. During playback, the object is rendered using the centre speaker and front height speakers, with the sound phantom imaging at or near the top of your screen.

Sanjay
post #22 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
IMAX shows their own versions of commercial movies, which can vary from their counterparts when it comes to aspect ratio, run time, colour timing, noise reduction, sound mix, etc. These IMAX versions of commercial movies are seen by the public for 2 or 3 weeks and then end up sitting on a shelf forever. IMAX already got permission from the studios to show these versions theatrically; now they're getting permission to release these versions on home video. The IMAX Enhanced program allows IMAX to monetize these dormant resources by releasing them on home video in a way that was closer to what was experienced in IMAX theatres. One example:

IMAX soundtracks don't have a LFE channel. Each channel is high passed at 24dB per octave (4th order) at 70Hz to feed the speakers, with everything below that going to the subs. Most consumer gear high passes at 12dB per octave (2nd order). To mimic IMAX theatrical bass management, the IMAX Enhance mode auto-switches the crossover to 70Hz; the 4th order high pass is achieved by pre-filtering the soundtrack with a 2nd order high pass filter which, when combined with the 2nd order high pass in the crossover, results in 4th order high pass. So IMAX Enhanced soundtracks are pre bass managed, with bass below 70Hz having been filtered out and put into a LFE channel (in this case, containing re-directed bass rather than discrete Low Frequency Effects).

Also, since IMAX theatres have tall screens, their sound format includes an upper centre speaker at the top of the screen high above the centre speaker. Many theatrical 5.1 mixes were re-mixed to 6.0 for IMAX theatrical release to take advantage of the upper centre speaker. The upper centre is also used for the more recent IMAX 12-channel immersive format. The home version DTS:X (and Atmos, for that matter) has a base layer and height layer of speakers, but no speaker location in between (at or near the top of the screen). Sound from the IMAX upper centre channel is therefore encoded as an audio object on IMAX Enhanced soundtracks; the object is tagged with coordinates above the centre speaker but mid way between the base layer and height layer. During playback, the object is rendered using the centre speaker and front height speakers, with the sound phantom imaging at or near the top of your screen.
I'll be quoting you from now on when someone poses that question...
tenthplanet and audiofan1 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #23 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I'll be quoting you from now on when someone poses that question...
You're not going to take the intellectually lazy way out and refer to all that as "marketing"?
imagic, tenthplanet and audiofan1 like this.

Sanjay
post #24 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

Thank you Sanjay for a great explanation!
sdurani, imagic and tenthplanet like this.
post #25 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I came in here to see all the "THX" responses. Real glad we have some of these detailed responses with the benefits.

Even though I don't and won't have equipment to take full advantage of this format I'm glad it exists. The aspect ratio shifting in the 3D Guardians of the Galaxy movies is phenomenal and one of my favorite things on 3D movie.

Not holding out hope for 3D content from this partnership, but even in 2D I'll be able to appreciate an IMAX ratio for chosen scenes. Also not have this content sit on a shelf never to be seen again.
sdurani likes this.

LG OLED 65EF9500
Pioneer SC-95 w/ Pioneer Andrew Jones 7.2.4 (Elite L-C-R), SVS PB1000, NU1000 --> BK4-4
DirecTV HR54 & C61K, XBox One X, PS4 Pro, Chromecast Ultra
Former Owner: Samsung UHD UBD-K8500
post #26 of 99 Old 01-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 123
What bothers me about Imax Enhanced is that Sony selected the 2017 Sony OLED A1e to be certified, but the 2017 LED flagship, z9d, is not. It's literally the same chipset, so "certified' has nothing to do with hardware. It's just a software update, that they chose to exclude from tvs with the same chipset(x1 extreme).
post #27 of 99 Old 01-19-2019, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
AVRs will simply pass the HDR10 from IMAX Enhanced video content to the display. The processing is related to audio.
So on the visual side of things as far as IMAX Enhanced is concerned you don't even need to buy a new AVR with that feature? The current AVR I have now and the TV is all I need?
Very cool!! I'll pick up some titles with the IMAX Enhanced designation and give it try

Thanks Mark
post #28 of 99 Old 01-19-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Oh well: if my upcoming Denon 7.2.4 supprots it, why not ?

I'm open to trying it: if it makes a positive difference, I'm all for it.

Also, Mark: a little "re-reading" of your post with a dose of spell-check wouldn't hurt !
post #29 of 99 Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBruin66 View Post
I came in here to see all the "THX" responses. Real glad we have some of these detailed responses with the benefits.
To be fair, the IMAX Enhanced press release does make it sound like a set of quality certifications/assurances. Thankfully, there were a couple demos at CEDIA that clarified details. One of the demos was put on by Sound United (Denon/Marantz) for AVS members, where we were reminded that IMAX theatres have been calibrated/tuned with Audyssey since 2009. As such, one of the features that is supposed to auto-switch when the IMAX Enhanced flag is detected is a custom IMAX target curve on Audyssey-based products that have the IMAX Enhanced mode. Also, most movie soundtracks have their dynamics reduced when remixing or nearfield remastering for home video. Since IMAX boasts about their huge dynamics, their rep said that IMAX Enhanced soundtracks will maintain their full dynamic range on home video.

Sanjay
post #30 of 99 Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

How will this work in conjunction with room eq like audyssey? Audyssey is already attempting to shape a 12 dB per octave roll off that crossover that gets set in the avr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
ces 2019 , imax ehanced

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page