Unexpected problem cambridge audio cxr200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unexpected problem cambridge audio cxr200

I have recently bought a Cambridge Audio CXR200, it promised to be the perfect replacement for my old 751R V1 which was superb for music/movies in my 7.1 speaker set-up but had well documented HDMI issues ie. slow sync etc.
Sure enough the CXR200 sounds great & is easy to set up, has a built in streaming module & none of the HDMI issues that plagued the 751R & is the perfect partner for my CXUHD disc player, the ARC works well with my LG 65E6 oled TV.

BUT I have now discovered that it doesnt produce an O/P & displays NO SIGNAL when fed a DTS-X 7.1 bitstream from the CXUHD, the old 751R was able to downmix & produce a DTS-HD MA 7.1 o/p when fed DTS-X. Dolby Atmos produces a 7.1 o/p ok?
When I raised this with Cambridge Audio support first they said they hadnt seen this problem before & asked me to get the CXR200 checked by the seller.
When I checked with Richer Sounds a guy there had raised exactly this problem some time ago & was told by Cambridge support that the CXR200 doesnt support DTS-X or Dolby Atmos.
This of course we know & dont require but what we expect is that DTS-X & Atmos are both backward compatible & should produce an o/p of some sort.
Atmos does do this ok but DTS-X doesnt.
This has become more of a problem recently since Universal are making DTS-X the only soundtrack option on some 4K UHD Blu-rays.
Has anyone else had this problem with the CXR200 or CXR120??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUM70 View Post
I have recently bought a Cambridge Audio CXR200, it promised to be the perfect replacement for my old 751R V1 which was superb for music/movies in my 7.1 speaker set-up but had well documented HDMI issues ie. slow sync etc.
Sure enough the CXR200 sounds great & is easy to set up, has a built in streaming module & none of the HDMI issues that plagued the 751R & is the perfect partner for my CXUHD disc player, the ARC works well with my LG 65E6 oled TV.

BUT I have now discovered that it doesnt produce an O/P & displays NO SIGNAL when fed a DTS-X 7.1 bitstream from the CXUHD, the old 751R was able to downmix & produce a DTS-HD MA 7.1 o/p when fed DTS-X. Dolby Atmos produces a 7.1 o/p ok?
When I raised this with Cambridge Audio support first they said they hadnt seen this problem before & asked me to get the CXR200 checked by the seller.
When I checked with Richer Sounds a guy there had raised exactly this problem some time ago & was told by Cambridge support that the CXR200 doesnt support DTS-X or Dolby Atmos.
This of course we know & dont require but what we expect is that DTS-X & Atmos are both backward compatible & should produce an o/p of some sort.
Atmos does do this ok but DTS-X doesnt.
This has become more of a problem recently since Universal are making DTS-X the only soundtrack option on some 4K UHD Blu-rays.
Has anyone else had this problem with the CXR200 or CXR120??
I know these units are fairly rare but surely there's someone who can confirm that this happens with their CXR200 or CXR120 also when fed a DTS-X bitstream from a Blu-ray player. I am still wondering whether mine has a fault or whether its something that Cambridge support could easily fix with a firmware update.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2019, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Finally found someone who has the exact same problem ie DTS-X isnt backward compatible with their AVR, but they have an ONKYO receiver & Oppo 203 player. I am trying to contact them on the Blu-ray.com forum to see if they ever found out why or were able to overcome it but having registering difficulties on their website. Still mystified by this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-2019, 12:57 AM

Angry CXR-120 & DTS-X "incompatibility"

Good morning.

I too have a CXR-120 with exactly the same issue. Last week I purchased a Blu-ray copy of "Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom". I popped it into my Cambridge Azur 752BD and the only soundtrack offered is indeed DTS-X. The receiver displays "No Signal" and the silence is deafening...

I can remedy this (in a fashion) by resetting the 752 audio output to LPCM (normally Auto or Bitstream) which produces a 7.1 PCM at the receiver. However, this is tedious and not, I think, what the DTS guys intended. They claim DTS-X is fully backwards compatible, but clearly Cambridge Audio disagree.

I'm about to register a support request and will post progress here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page