"Official" (kinda) thread for Onkyo TX-RZ630-730-830 Networking A/V receivers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 253 Old 02-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Member
 
therippa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question regarding this receiver. We're house hunting and I'm planning on dedicating a space to a home theater. I took advantage of Klipsch's black friday sale and have the standard 7 channels covered

  • Center - RP-450C
  • Fronts - RP-280F
  • Surrounds (side and rear) - R-51M

I was planning on putting some polk in-ceiling speakers for atmos. I understand that I can now do 7.2.2, and 7.2.4 with an external amp, but instead of using the amp for the two extra atmos, could I assign it so I get a really good amp for the fronts that I have, and have the receiver take care of the 4 atmos speakers?

EDIT: After reading the manual, it seems you can't do that

Last edited by therippa; 02-24-2019 at 08:04 AM.
therippa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 253 Old 02-25-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
iraweiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I thought about getting the TX-RZ830 for the less than $500 price over the weekend and called. After a long hold I bought one. They are also allowing me to keep the TX-NR737 so I can move it to another room.


Before buying, I checked prices at places I had bought stuff before: Best Buy, Crutchfield and B&H.. Best Buy was at MSRP. Crutchfield was two hundred more than Onkyo's offer. B&H was $100 over that. Both B&H and Crutchfield were selling the 830 for hundreds less than the 730.
bslep and MALICIOUS ONE like this.
iraweiss is offline  
post #33 of 253 Old 02-27-2019, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
m3incorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO/Augusta, GA
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I changed out a month old TX-NR787 for the TX-RZ830


Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
Should I upgrade my TX-NR737 to a TX-RZ830?


I got an e-mail from Onkyo ([email protected]) with an offer to upgrade my TX-NR737 that I bought in November, 2015.


I can upgrade to a TX-RZ830 for an incredible price.


Should I do it?
m3incorp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 253 Old 02-27-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
iraweiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
I changed out a month old TX-NR787 for the TX-RZ830
My only regret is not thinking to ask if I could order more than one at that price. I never thought of doing so as it was an upgrade offer. Also, since it was a limited time offer while supplies last (are they gone yet?), I did not want to be a p.i.g. pig.
iraweiss is offline  
post #35 of 253 Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
m3incorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO/Augusta, GA
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 111
There are some reporting that they called and are told they are out of stock.

Do you have a second system that you are building? Not uncommon for people to have a few receivers. I've got a complete theater in basement of one home and another set-up in the living room. In second home, I have a decent set-up in living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
My only regret is not thinking to ask if I could order more than one at that price. I never thought of doing so as it was an upgrade offer. Also, since it was a limited time offer while supplies last (are they gone yet?), I did not want to be a p.i.g. pig.
m3incorp is offline  
post #36 of 253 Old 02-27-2019, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
iraweiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
There are some reporting that they called and are told they are out of stock.

Do you have a second system that you are building? Not uncommon for people to have a few receivers. I've got a complete theater in basement of one home and another set-up in the living room. In second home, I have a decent set-up in living room.
I have four A/V systems. Face it, I've been collecting stereo stuff since 1965 and figured out how to take the audio from the earphone jack of my TV and connect it to the AUX input around 1970.


Family Room - Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver, Sony XBR-65X930E, Sony UBP-X800.



I plan to replace the receiver (possibly with Yamaha RX-A3080 or its successor) and move the Blu-Ray upstairs and replace it with UBP-X800M2. Receiver has to be flexible as I need to connect 2 reel-to-reel tape decks, cassette deck, CD-recorder, Laser disc player, cable box, 4K Blu-Ray and VCR - sorry, my Panasonic DVD recorder/VCR died,



So far the only receivers with that number of inputs I've found are high end Yamaha.



Master Bedroom - Yamaha RX-A800 receiver, Sony XBR-55X900E, Samsung BD-J6300. Receiver also needs to be replaced. That is probably where the new Onkyo will go.


Exercise Room - Onkyo TX-NR737 receiver, Samsung UN46EH5300, Samsung BD-H5900, Sony XDR-F1HD tuner, Samsung DVD player/VCR.



Basement workshop - Denon AVR-3803, Vizio E24-C1, Oppo BDP-83. The Denon will be replace by an older Yamaha.



Definitive Technology speakers all around along with additional Outlaw LFM-2 subs.



Plus, I also have a Vizio 32" TV in the guest bedroom and I'm typing this on a 24" LG TV I use as a computer monitor.


That is why I considered purchasing more than one new Onkyo.
iraweiss is offline  
post #37 of 253 Old 02-27-2019, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
m3incorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO/Augusta, GA
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 111
↑ Now that is a lot of audio equipment I got rid of the reel to reel, cassette deck, Laser Disc when I noticed that I hadn't used either in years. I do still have vinyl though.
m3incorp is offline  
post #38 of 253 Old 03-02-2019, 07:08 AM
Member
 
mainiac116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Salesman is wrong. No one rates receivers all channels driven.
I believe you are correct. This video bench testing the Onkyo is impressive.
I'm anxious to compare the Onkyo sound to my old Yamaha.

Last edited by mainiac116; 03-02-2019 at 11:11 AM.
mainiac116 is offline  
post #39 of 253 Old 03-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Newbie
 
waynes_111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Afternoon all,
I got my 830 last month so thought i better join this thread!!!
i am very impressed with the build and the look and the sound is so crisp i love i need to play more as its not very bassy but otherwise its a great upgrade from my 626.
mainiac116 likes this.
waynes_111 is offline  
post #40 of 253 Old 03-04-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
timothyledin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's pretty cool, I'm happy to see that Onkyo can back up what they're preaching. Here's a little pic of something different I ask of my 630, my wife and I use it for practicing our DJ skills on our Numark NS7II. Click image for larger version

Name:	1551725285282_1551725543145.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2534214

Last edited by timothyledin; 03-04-2019 at 10:52 AM.
timothyledin is offline  
post #41 of 253 Old 03-05-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Question for you guys... Are you able to use the Front Towers on a seperate AMP and keep all other channels on the RZ830... making it 7.1.4? Or do you only have the option to Amp up the two extra Atmos speakers? Reason I am asking is I am hoping to use my current older Onkyo Reciever as the amplifier to power up just the front Towers as it won't know how to decode the atmos speakers. Thanks!

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #42 of 253 Old 03-05-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Question for you guys... Are you able to use the Front Towers on a seperate AMP and keep all other channels on the RZ830... making it 7.1.4? Or do you only have the option to Amp up the two extra Atmos speakers? Reason I am asking is I am hoping to use my current older Onkyo Reciever as the amplifier to power up just the front Towers as it won't know how to decode the atmos speakers. Thanks!
Short answer is no. You can use an amp for the front towers, but if you want to go 7.1.4 you will also need an amp for the extra height speakers.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
bslep is offline  
post #43 of 253 Old 03-05-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Question for you guys... Are you able to use the Front Towers on a seperate AMP and keep all other channels on the RZ830... making it 7.1.4? Or do you only have the option to Amp up the two extra Atmos speakers? Reason I am asking is I am hoping to use my current older Onkyo Reciever as the amplifier to power up just the front Towers as it won't know how to decode the atmos speakers. Thanks!
Short answer is no. You can use an amp for the front towers, but if you want to go 7.1.4 you will also need an amp for the extra height speakers.
Simply put, I'll need an extra amp to power two extra atmos speakers and make it 7.1.4. Cant use any old reciever to do this... got it. Thnx!

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #44 of 253 Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Question for everyone in here... The $499 price was amazing but I, unfortunately, missed it recently and the price is still around 650-700 at other places and at Onkyo it has gone back up to like 1200-1300 dollars, not sure on exact numbers. My question is, what is the Reciever really worth in terms of sound quality? Does it sound like a $1,300 Reciever or more like a $500-$600 Reciever? Just trying to add quality to price and get your guys' impressions on the Reciever. I personally have the Old old HT-S6300 that came with Onkyo Speakers and the sound quality of the Reciever is still very amazing with 7.1, just don't have ATMOS etc.

The person who shared his down and dirty impressions in the discount thread sounded like he was a bit disappointed as the new receiver didn't sound like his old NX receiver. Similarly, I just tried the Denon x4500H myself and was not impressed by the thin sound from it. The extra bells and whistles were nice and Atmos with the right content sounded amazing but was missing overall heft so I returned it. I thought the RZ830 would be better suited for my needs and at this price its a no brainer with some small stuff missing.
However, I do wanna make sure the sound quality is still of a top tier model and similar to old school Onkyo sound and not the thin sound.
Appreciate your guys' opinions, thanks!

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #45 of 253 Old 03-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Ok so just my $.02 based on research, not real life experience as I still use old Integra gear in my setup.

Trinnov, Dirac live and Arc room correction are the top 3 with xt32 as the best budget correction software iirc. So depending on your room, the x4500h will sound better than the rz830. If you were not impressed with the x4500 then you might need to get some better speakers. For example, I was reading a thread about someone shopping for either an Arcam or a Lexicon and wanted advice. The responses were all similar, what kind of speakers do you have, etc.? The member responded and said he had some $800 exotic speakers and the responses back were something like this; crappy speakers will still sound bad even with a $4k processor.


You can explore these three options maybe?

look into better speakers

look into more room treatment options

get 3 of these for your LCR and just crank the sh*t out of it until it sounds better http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html
eriksells916 is offline  
post #46 of 253 Old 03-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Member
 
mainiac116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Question for everyone in here... The $499 price was amazing but I, unfortunately, missed it recently and the price is still around 650-700 at other places and at Onkyo it has gone back up to like 1200-1300 dollars, not sure on exact numbers. My question is, what is the Reciever really worth in terms of sound quality? Does it sound like a $1,300 Reciever or more like a $500-$600 Reciever? Just trying to add quality to price and get your guys' impressions on the Reciever. I personally have the Old old HT-S6300 that came with Onkyo Speakers and the sound quality of the Reciever is still very amazing with 7.1, just don't have ATMOS etc.

The person who shared his down and dirty impressions in the discount thread sounded like he was a bit disappointed as the new receiver didn't sound like his old NX receiver. Similarly, I just tried the Denon x4500H myself and was not impressed by the thin sound from it. The extra bells and whistles were nice and Atmos with the right content sounded amazing but was missing overall heft so I returned it. I thought the RZ830 would be better suited for my needs and at this price its a no brainer with some small stuff missing.
However, I do wanna make sure the sound quality is still of a top tier model and similar to old school Onkyo sound and not the thin sound.
Appreciate your guys' opinions, thanks!
In my opinion, only having watched some dish network news and tried to watch "The Avengers" 4K on plex before the buffering drove me nuts (I have fiber, 100mbps).
Is it worth $500, hell yes! Is it leap years ahead of my old Yamaha RX-A2000 (paid $1000), hell no. To my old ears which have been abused over the years because of loud music, concerts, Harley's and whatever, I could not distinguish much of a difference between the the two other than the Yamaha is better built(a couple of pounds heavier), has more power and runs much cooler.
The Onkyo is very well built, good looking, feature laden, latest audio codecs and has, I feel, a better room eq. The setup menu is light years ahead of the Yamaha. The remote could be a little more substantial (feels cheap) and the warranty is great.
My wife is leaving for the weekend and I will have a chance to "stretch its legs" so to speak and maybe tweak to my satisfaction.
If you find one for $5-600 I say buy it and don't look back. FWIW my box says it was made in Malaysia.
mainiac116 is offline  
post #47 of 253 Old 03-06-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
Ok so just my $.02 based on research, not real life experience as I still use old Integra gear in my setup.

Trinnov, Dirac live and Arc room correction are the top 3 with xt32 as the best budget correction software iirc. So depending on your room, the x4500h will sound better than the rz830. If you were not impressed with the x4500 then you might need to get some better speakers. For example, I was reading a thread about someone shopping for either an Arcam or a Lexicon and wanted advice. The responses were all similar, what kind of speakers do you have, etc.? The member responded and said he had some $800 exotic speakers and the responses back were something like this; crappy speakers will still sound bad even with a $4k processor.


You can explore these three options maybe?

look into better speakers

look into more room treatment options

get 3 of these for your LCR and just crank the sh*t out of it until it sounds better http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html
I agree. Good speakers will make most AVR’s sound good. I own the RZ830 and Denon 4400H. I don’t think either sound thin. The 830 replaced a Denon 6500H. They all sounded good. Denon does have a bit more laid back or warmer sound, but I like Onkyo’s in your face dynamic sound. Again, more similar than different to me. My main speakers are Focal Electra 1038 BE’s. They sound good no matter what is driving them. I got the Onkyo email deal and just couldn’t pass it up. My 6500 was within its return period so I saved a ton of money and actually like the 830 better, at least for surround sound. I do admit the 6500 sounded a little better with two channel.
eriksells916 likes this.
bslep is offline  
post #48 of 253 Old 03-07-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
Ok so just my $.02 based on research, not real life experience as I still use old Integra gear in my setup.

Trinnov, Dirac live and Arc room correction are the top 3 with xt32 as the best budget correction software iirc. So depending on your room, the x4500h will sound better than the rz830. If you were not impressed with the x4500 then you might need to get some better speakers. For example, I was reading a thread about someone shopping for either an Arcam or a Lexicon and wanted advice. The responses were all similar, what kind of speakers do you have, etc.? The member responded and said he had some $800 exotic speakers and the responses back were something like this; crappy speakers will still sound bad even with a $4k processor.


You can explore these three options maybe?

look into better speakers

look into more room treatment options

get 3 of these for your LCR and just crank the sh*t out of it until it sounds better http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html
I have the Deftech BP9080X towers and CS9089 with built in Subs and SR9040s for surrounds etc. so Im def not lacking in speaker quality. Still the denon sounded thin and not robust at all and i tried every single setting on that thing to make it work. Hooked up my old onkyo and boom the dynamic robust sound was back with a vengeance.
Just wanna make sure the RZ830 will be similar in this regard and good hefty sound.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #49 of 253 Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
I agree. Good speakers will make most AVR’s sound good. I own the RZ830 and Denon 4400H. I don’t think either sound thin. The 830 replaced a Denon 6500H. They all sounded good. Denon does have a bit more laid back or warmer sound, but I like Onkyo’s in your face dynamic sound. Again, more similar than different to me. My main speakers are Focal Electra 1038 BE’s. They sound good no matter what is driving them. I got the Onkyo email deal and just couldn’t pass it up. My 6500 was within its return period so I saved a ton of money and actually like the 830 better, at least for surround sound. I do admit the 6500 sounded a little better with two channel.
The fact that you think the 830 is similar but more dynamic than the 6500 is saying a lot and gives me a lot of confidence in the 830.

BTW, I just realized since the 830 doesn't have Audyssey, it also doesn't have the Audyssey EQ or Dynamic Vol options either? If that's the case, are there other options for watching movies at low volumes and still get all the sound like Dynamic Vol at Light or Medium did? TY!

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #50 of 253 Old 03-07-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
The fact that you think the 830 is similar but more dynamic than the 6500 is saying a lot and gives me a lot of confidence in the 830.

BTW, I just realized since the 830 doesn't have Audyssey, it also doesn't have the Audyssey EQ or Dynamic Vol options either? If that's the case, are there other options for watching movies at low volumes and still get all the sound like Dynamic Vol at Light or Medium did? TY!
There is a loudness management option for Dolby and DTS, but I’m not sure it does anything. It doesn’t have a low volume option like Audyssey does.
bslep is offline  
post #51 of 253 Old 03-07-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
The fact that you think the 830 is similar but more dynamic than the 6500 is saying a lot and gives me a lot of confidence in the 830.

BTW, I just realized since the 830 doesn't have Audyssey, it also doesn't have the Audyssey EQ or Dynamic Vol options either? If that's the case, are there other options for watching movies at low volumes and still get all the sound like Dynamic Vol at Light or Medium did? TY!
There is a loudness management option for Dolby and DTS, but I’m not sure it does anything. It doesn’t have a low volume option like Audyssey does.
Denons have loudness mgmt too... it does something slightly different and has more to do with bass i think. Sounds like the feature im talking about isnt here.
Crazy you onkyo guys dont know about this either! Dynamic Vol is like hughley debated online as some ppl like it, others listen at reference volumes.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #52 of 253 Old 03-07-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bslep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: N. Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Denons have loudness mgmt too... it does something slightly different and has more to do with bass i think. Sounds like the feature im talking about isnt here.
Crazy you onkyo guys dont know about this either! Dynamic Vol is like hughley debated online as some ppl like it, others listen at reference volumes.
I just found the late night option. So, you can check that out to see if it meets your needs. I don’t have it turned on.
bslep is offline  
post #53 of 253 Old 03-07-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Denons have loudness mgmt too... it does something slightly different and has more to do with bass i think. Sounds like the feature im talking about isnt here.
Crazy you onkyo guys dont know about this either! Dynamic Vol is like hughley debated online as some ppl like it, others listen at reference volumes.
I just found the late night option. So, you can check that out to see if it meets your needs. I don’t have it turned on.
Thats not the option I am referring to. I listen with Dynamic EQ and Volume to Light always. As the name refers, with it On, low level sounds are lifted and you can enjoy full dynamic sound at low volumes.
Late night is for late nights only and helps with keeping dialogue high and other sounds low.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #54 of 253 Old 03-09-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Gave in and ordered an RZ830 from Amazon. Hopefully, the Atmos is super dynamic like the Denon 4500 I tried was but more robust in sound. If those two things can be achieved, I'd be set for a while! But Im still keeping my expectation low just because of the price... Would still like to hear your guys opinions on the Sound of the 830. Thanks.
bslep likes this.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #55 of 253 Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Gave in and ordered an RZ830 from Amazon. Hopefully, the Atmos is super dynamic like the Denon 4500 I tried was but more robust in sound. If those two things can be achieved, I'd be set for a while! But Im still keeping my expectation low just because of the price... Would still like to hear your guys opinions on the Sound of the 830. Thanks.
I got my RZ830 installed this weekend and was able to get it calibrated yesterday and got a chance to demo a few scenes from movies. I will say that I was leery how well this would do since the Onkyo NR1008 that it replaced was noticeably heavier the RZ830 but I kept an open mind. The initial setup was a breeze as was the calibration EQ.

After running the Onkyo AccuEQ I went back in and did what I always had to do even with Audyssey...bump the sub about 3 db's but all the other speakers seemed fine so I left them. After watching John Wick (which has a great demo scene for Atmos at the beginning at his wife's funeral when it's raining) and even older movies like Black Hawk Down I am very impressed with the AVR. I want to say that the majority of the setting between the two were relatively the same but without a doubt my system has never sounded as good as it did last night.

The one thing I really miss though is that the display only has one line of text that shows the active source...really going to miss seeing what sound codec I am currently using and I have not found a way to toggle the display so that it shows that instead of the source. Other than that I would have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and will be putting it through its paces in the next few weeks.
bslep, MALICIOUS ONE and b0rnarian like this.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
Smigro is offline  
post #56 of 253 Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Gave in and ordered an RZ830 from Amazon. Hopefully, the Atmos is super dynamic like the Denon 4500 I tried was but more robust in sound. If those two things can be achieved, I'd be set for a while! But Im still keeping my expectation low just because of the price... Would still like to hear your guys opinions on the Sound of the 830. Thanks.
I got my RZ830 installed this weekend and was able to get it calibrated yesterday and got a chance to demo a few scenes from movies. I will say that I was leery how well this would do since the Onkyo NR1008 that it replaced was noticeably heavier the RZ830 but I kept an open mind. The initial setup was a breeze as was the calibration EQ.

After running the Onkyo AccuEQ I went back in and did what I always had to do even with Audyssey...bump the sub about 3 db's but all the other speakers seemed fine so I left them. After watching John Wick (which has a great demo scene for Atmos at the beginning at his wife's funeral when it's raining) and even older movies like Black Hawk Down I am very impressed with the AVR. I want to say that the majority of the setting between the two were relatively the same but without a doubt my system has never sounded as good as it did last night.

The one thing I really miss though is that the display only has one line of text that shows the active source...really going to miss seeing what sound codec I am currently using and I have not found a way to toggle the display so that it shows that instead of the source. Other than that I would have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and will be putting it through its paces in the next few weeks.
Happy to hear your initial impressions are promising. John Wick scene is very popular for sure to run for Atmos effect but ive never heard it myself so I too will check it when my 830 gets delivered today! One of my early tests would also be Jack Ryan show on Amazon. There's an awesome scene in 1st episode in a busy market where ppl are being tracked. There is so much sound all around you, you feel like you are right there in the middle of it all. Let you know how it goes tonight!
MALICIOUS ONE and Smigro like this.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #57 of 253 Old 03-11-2019, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cruzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
I got my RZ830 installed this weekend and was able to get it calibrated yesterday and got a chance to demo a few scenes from movies. I will say that I was leery how well this would do since the Onkyo NR1008 that it replaced was noticeably heavier the RZ830 but I kept an open mind. The initial setup was a breeze as was the calibration EQ.

After running the Onkyo AccuEQ I went back in and did what I always had to do even with Audyssey...bump the sub about 3 db's but all the other speakers seemed fine so I left them. After watching John Wick (which has a great demo scene for Atmos at the beginning at his wife's funeral when it's raining) and even older movies like Black Hawk Down I am very impressed with the AVR. I want to say that the majority of the setting between the two were relatively the same but without a doubt my system has never sounded as good as it did last night.

The one thing I really miss though is that the display only has one line of text that shows the active source...really going to miss seeing what sound codec I am currently using and I have not found a way to toggle the display so that it shows that instead of the source. Other than that I would have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and will be putting it through its paces in the next few weeks.

I did the same with mine this weekend. As to the codec display, you can press the little "I" button on the remote and it will show on screen the video and audio input and output information.



So far very pleased with my 830 purchase.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

Cruzin is offline  
post #58 of 253 Old 03-11-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 2,315
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin View Post
I did the same with mine this weekend. As to the codec display, you can press the little "I" button on the remote and it will show on screen the video and audio input and output information.
Thank you but I should have been more clear...I would like to make it so that is displays the codec at all times instead of the source but that is a small gripe.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
Smigro is offline  
post #59 of 253 Old 03-11-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
So im throug the initial setup but the bass is noway near what it should be. So are you guys running Loudness mgmt On or Off.
Also, i only see the option for 4ohms and 6ohms but my speakers are all 8ohms, anyway to change it?
Lastly, when i run the test tones, its stuck on some number, any way to listen to test tones on lower volumes when changing dbs manually? Thnx!

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #60 of 253 Old 03-11-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Also, I m sure there's deeper tweaking needed here as i feel like i only have two front speakers only when Im running 7.1.2 setup. And of course I tried doing dbs manually but tones are super loud and I cant turn em down like on my old onkyo.
Btw does anybody have ehcos of sound when Accureflex or whatever its called is on? Thnx!

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
b0rnarian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off