"Official" (kinda) thread for Onkyo TX-RZ630-730-830 Networking A/V receivers - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #91 of 372 Old 03-28-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post
My NR818 died a couple of weeks ago and Onkyo was non-responsive when I inquired about the program many had found to get a deal on the RZ830's. Received a new 830 (purchased from Amazon) today and went through most of the setup only to find that this unit has HDMI issues. The only input that doesn't breakup video or mute audio occasionally is the GAME input. Anyone else having issues? I've ordered a replacement, but can't believe they are still having HDMI issues. I had the HDMI board replaced in my NR818 and it had very little use during the years I owned it so it made no sense when it died. Concerned I may be making a mistake staying with Onkyo. However, the RZ830 seems to have the most features in its price range.
Sorry for your experience. I am partial to Onkyo receivers, but am disappointed they haven't figured out their hdmi issues. I have an RZ810 in my basement that had to have the hdmi board replaced after a few months. Has worked fine since then (about 18 months ago). I've owned the RZ1100, RZ920 and now my current RZ830. No issues with any of those receivers. I really like the 830. It is a terrific bargain, but again, not if you have issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 372 Old 03-29-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 821
No issues with hdmi in my 830.
post #93 of 372 Old 03-29-2019, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
Sorry for your experience. I am partial to Onkyo receivers, but am disappointed they haven't figured out their hdmi issues. I have an RZ810 in my basement that had to have the hdmi board replaced after a few months. Has worked fine since then (about 18 months ago). I've owned the RZ1100, RZ920 and now my current RZ830. No issues with any of those receivers. I really like the 830. It is a terrific bargain, but again, not if you have issues.
The two are likely unrelated. Every brand has DOA units and the old Onkyo HDMI failures were largely heat-related as it impacted an inferior component.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 372 Old 03-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Just hooked up my 830, no HDMI problems and everything works as expected. Haven't put it through a workout yet, but everything is functioning normal so far
bslep likes this.
post #95 of 372 Old 03-29-2019, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My NR818 died a couple of weeks ago and Onkyo was non-responsive when I inquired about the program many had found to get a deal on the RZ830's. Received a new 830 (purchased from Amazon) today and went through most of the setup only to find that this unit has HDMI issues. The only input that doesn't breakup video or mute audio occasionally is the GAME input. Anyone else having issues? I've ordered a replacement, but can't believe they are still having HDMI issues. I had the HDMI board replaced in my NR818 and it had very little use during the years I owned it so it made no sense when it died. Concerned I may be making a mistake staying with Onkyo. However, the RZ830 seems to have the most features in its price range.
Did you try different HDMI cords . I've had a few times where cords that work fine with one source, don't play well with others. Now with 4k,Atmos and hdr things get goofy sometimes. I have a Amazon certified hdr cord that will not work with my Xbox one, but works with everything else. And the other Amazon cord that is exactly the same works with everything
post #96 of 372 Old 03-29-2019, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I tried a couple different cords with no change in behavior. My basic premise is that a combination that works on port 3 (game) should work on the others as well. If it doesn't then it implies there is something different between the ports on the receiver with one being better than the others. The real test will be when the replacement receiver arrives. If the same condition exists (only GAME works well with comcast STB, then I'll have to decide if I keep stay with Onkyo (knowing of compatibility issues) or look for something else. I really don't want to lock myself into a potential problem for several years if this is a design limitation of the receiver. I'll update the post again after the replacement arrives (4/4).
post #97 of 372 Old 03-29-2019, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I tried a couple different cords with no change in behavior. My basic premise is that a combination that works on port 3 (game) should work on the others as well. If it doesn't then it implies there is something different between the ports on the receiver with one being better than the others. The real test will be when the replacement receiver arrives. If the same condition exists (only GAME works well with comcast STB, then I'll have to decide if I keep stay with Onkyo (knowing of compatibility issues) or look for something else. I really don't want to lock myself into a potential problem for several years if this is a design limitation of the receiver. I'll update the post again after the replacement arrives (4/4).
I have Comcast as well, but no problems. Sucks getting a lemon,so to speak. You did probably get a bum unit. I tried the the 787 before the the 830 and no HDMI hickups. Luck of the draw I guess. Had a Sony str dn1040 a few years ago that would drop the HDMI signal every time you went into the menu. Didn't start till right after the year warranty was up. The 787 and the 830 are the first onkyo's I've had in about 10 years. Decided to take a chance after my last Denon was buggy as all hell. Hopefully your new one is good to go
post #98 of 372 Old 03-30-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Hooked new RZ830 up today and there are problems. Using 11 channels with an external amp on rear surrounds. First hooked it up and did the initial setup. No problems. Watched a few minutes of a DVD. No problems. Wife went out to pick up a couple DVDs with Atmos. Went to play one and now receiver quit working.

Code on front NG: 2L2L (blinking)
Cleared code and got NG Ch Clear
Then it went into Amp Diag Mode
During diagnosis it read, FL,C, FR,SL,SR,BL,BR,H1L and H1R.
It then goes back to NG: 2L2R (blinking)

Thoughts before I contact the dealer?
post #99 of 372 Old 03-30-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan ii View Post
Hooked new RZ830 up today and there are problems. Using 11 channels with an external amp on rear surrounds. First hooked it up and did the initial setup. No problems. Watched a few minutes of a DVD. No problems. Wife went out to pick up a couple DVDs with Atmos. Went to play one and now receiver quit working.

Code on front NG: 2L2L (blinking)
Cleared code and got NG Ch Clear
Then it went into Amp Diag Mode
During diagnosis it read, FL,C, FR,SL,SR,BL,BR,H1L and H1R.
It then goes back to NG: 2L2R (blinking)

Thoughts before I contact the dealer?
Do a hard reset.
titan ii likes this.
post #100 of 372 Old 03-30-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Do a hard reset.
Tried that earlier and it did not work. I just tried it again per your suggestion and it cleared. Now to hook everything back up again.

Thanks!
post #101 of 372 Old 03-30-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried that earlier and it did not work. I just tried it again per your suggestion and it cleared. Now to hook everything back up again.

Thanks!
Great! I read somewhere that you should do the hard reset at least three times before sending in for repair. Two sounds like your lucky charm.
titan ii likes this.
post #102 of 372 Old 03-30-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Great! I read somewhere that you should do the hard reset at least three times before sending in for repair. Two sounds like your lucky charm.
I appreciate the help. Just tried a segment of movie and so far so good. My X800 says it is outputting Dolby True HD 7.1 (it is set up for bitstream), but the receiver is showing Atmos, so I think I am good. Will see how it sounds on MI-Fallout tonight.

Cheers.
bslep likes this.
post #103 of 372 Old 04-03-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Over the weekend the first receiver started flaking out on the GAME input as well. found if I set the Comcast box to 720P, everything was stable (1080P worked fine on my NR818 before it died).

So, I received my replacement RZ830 from Amazon today (an older SN than the first) and ran through the setup process without issue. The Comcast box worked just fine on the CBL input. Then I did a FW upgrade and after power cycle, the CBL input was unstable. Made me wish I hadn't done that for at least a day. Ran through the Comcast box settings between screen dropouts to go to 720P and eventually got the system stable. Adjusted comcast box back to 1080P and it's still stable. Moved the Comcast box to game and STB, stable on those as well. Moved back to CBL input and dropouts again. Power cycled RZ830 twice and the input is stable again. This one seems to work better than the first, but I'm not sure it's going to make it past the free return period.

Last edited by cpetku; 04-03-2019 at 06:51 PM.
post #104 of 372 Old 04-04-2019, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Over the weekend the first receiver started flaking out on the GAME input as well. found if I set the Comcast box to 720P, everything was stable (1080P worked fine on my NR818 before it died).

So, I received my replacement RZ830 from Amazon today (an older SN than the first) and ran through the setup process without issue. The Comcast box worked just fine on the CBL input. Then I did a FW upgrade and after power cycle, the CBL input was unstable. Made me wish I hadn't done that for at least a day. Ran through the Comcast box settings between screen dropouts to go to 720P and eventually got the system stable. Adjusted comcast box back to 1080P and it's still stable. Moved the Comcast box to game and STB, stable on those as well. Moved back to CBL input and dropouts again. Power cycled RZ830 twice and the input is stable again. This one seems to work better than the first, but I'm not sure it's going to make it past the free return period.
Do a hard reset. If it doesn’t fix your issues do it again and a third time if necessary. If, after three hard resets you still have the issue I would suggest returning it. The inputs I do use don’t give me any issues.
post #105 of 372 Old 04-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Well, the 830 is going back. Mine has the same annoying hissing sound from all the speakers in every setting but direct. Very noticeable in quiet scenes in older movies. The 787 did the same thing. Sounds like the background hiss on vhs tapes. Dts x neural is the worst. Very distracting . Switch to direct mode and no hiss. Liked the receiver at first, but once I noticed that, definitely a deal breaker for me.
post #106 of 372 Old 04-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Well, the 830 is going back. Mine has the same annoying hissing sound from all the speakers in every setting but direct. Very noticeable in quiet scenes in older movies. The 787 did the same thing. Sounds like the background hiss on vhs tapes. Dts x neural is the worst. Very distracting . Switch to direct mode and no hiss. Liked the receiver at first, but once I noticed that, definitely a deal breaker for me.
Sorry that happened to you I just tested my 830.

I tried several inputs, including phono.

I ran the volume up to max and could only hear a slight hiss when I put my ear up to the speakers.

At normal volumes, around 55, I heard nothing.

I'm using Definitive Technology ProMonitor 80 MKII all around with a ProCenter 1000. More sensitive speakers could reveal more hiss.

Last edited by iraweiss; 04-04-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: update
post #107 of 372 Old 04-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
Sorry that happened to you I just tested my 830.

I tried several inputs, including phono.

I ran the volume up to max and could only hear a slight hiss when I put my ear up to the speakers.

At normal volumes, around 55, I heard nothing.
Yeah man, after digging around I found only a couple other threads on the net talking about that issue. So It don't seem to be wide spread. But I ended up with 2 that do it. Lol. Going to try a different source though, before I box it up. Switch to the Roku instead of the apple TV. UPDATE..... So tried the Roku and same result. Part of the issue might be my I'm only about 8 feet from the speakers and I listen at around -10 or so. But never experienced this with Denon or Yamaha. Can't really hear it on native content, unless you pause the movie. But when upmixing it's clearly audible in quiet scenes. Guess I just got unlucky. Will report back after I switch back to the Denon

Last edited by jsb75; 04-04-2019 at 03:17 PM.
post #108 of 372 Old 04-09-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
I got my RZ830 installed this weekend and was able to get it calibrated yesterday and got a chance to demo a few scenes from movies. I will say that I was leery how well this would do since the Onkyo NR1008 that it replaced was noticeably heavier the RZ830 but I kept an open mind. The initial setup was a breeze as was the calibration EQ.

After running the Onkyo AccuEQ I went back in and did what I always had to do even with Audyssey...bump the sub about 3 db's but all the other speakers seemed fine so I left them. After watching John Wick (which has a great demo scene for Atmos at the beginning at his wife's funeral when it's raining) and even older movies like Black Hawk Down I am very impressed with the AVR. I want to say that the majority of the setting between the two were relatively the same but without a doubt my system has never sounded as good as it did last night.

The one thing I really miss though is that the display only has one line of text that shows the active source...really going to miss seeing what sound codec I am currently using and I have not found a way to toggle the display so that it shows that instead of the source. Other than that I would have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and will be putting it through its paces in the next few weeks.
I have to agree it's a little disappointing that the RZ830 does not keep the audio source (Atmos, DTS, Dolby Digital) on the front panel display. In fact I contacted Onkyo support yesterday to see if there was a setting to keep the audio source on the display but unfortunately there is no such option. Which I find odd coming from owning several Denon AVR's, the latest being the X2300W, where the active audio format is displayed. It's kind of misleading on all of the ads and Onkyo website that show the RZ830 prominently displaying 'Dolby Atmos' on its front panel. I know that it can be briefly displayed by hitting the "I" button on the remote. It's just a feature that I took for granted - until now.

Another shortcoming is the HDMI dual output, if you select MAIN + SUB it will default to the lowest common denominator. Meaning if you have it connected to a 4K projector and a 1080p HDTV it will only pass 1080p to both devices simultaneously. If you select MAIN alone to the 4K projector it will pass the full 4K signal. Again just a minor disappointment.

All this may sound like I don't like the RZ830 which isn't true, I am really digging the sound it outputs. It sounds crisper and as another owner put it 'more in your face' than any of the Denon's I've owned. After calibrating my 5.1.2 setup I put on the Clash of the Titans (2010) Blu-ray using my Panasonic UB820 player and the soundfield was amazing, a great sound demo disc. I'm planning on adding two more Atmos speakers and the main reason I purchased the RZ830. I feel that the RZ830 is a real bargain at its current price point and except for the two nitpicks I mentioned I'm quite pleased with it so far.
Smigro likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #109 of 372 Old 04-09-2019, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I have to agree it's a little disappointing that the RZ830 does not keep the audio source (Atmos, DTS, Dolby Digital) on the front panel display. In fact I contacted Onkyo support yesterday to see if there was a setting to keep the audio source on the display but unfortunately there is no such option. Which I find odd coming from owning several Denon AVR's, the latest being the X2300W, where the active audio format is displayed. It's kind of misleading on all of the ads and Onkyo website that show the RZ830 prominently displaying 'Dolby Atmos' on its front panel. I know that it can be briefly displayed by hitting the "I" button on the remote. It's just a feature that I took for granted - until now.

If you use the "i" button on the remote, a TV screen will appear lower right, it will cycle through all the input formats including video format with repeated pushes of the "i" button.
post #110 of 372 Old 04-09-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
After running the Onkyo AccuEQ I went back in and did what I always had to do even with Audyssey...bump the sub about 3 db's but all the other speakers seemed fine so I left them. .
How do you change the other speakers in AccuEQ?. I thought I only saw SW.
post #111 of 372 Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsman View Post
If I understand your question correctly. Go to menu > speaker > level calibration.
post #112 of 372 Old 04-10-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Quote:
If I understand your question correctly. Go to menu > speaker > level calibration.
I was going to say the same. I am not home in front of my AVR but there is definitely an option to to adjust speaker levels

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #113 of 372 Old 04-10-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
If you use the "i" button on the remote, a TV screen will appear lower right, it will cycle through all the input formats including video format with repeated pushes of the "i" button.
What we are talking about is the display on the AVR itself. As an example see the screenshot below of my old NR1008. Not sure why they felt the need to remove the second row display instead of a 2 row and while a small gripe it was nice to have.

Mr.G likes this.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #114 of 372 Old 04-12-2019, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Man the constant clicking from the relays whenever the input signal changes from 2.0 to 5.0 or vice versa gets kinda annoying. My kid was scrolling through Netflix movies and the relay kept clicking every few movies. Cable is bad too.some Commercials are 2.0 and some are mono, and some are 5.1. so it's constantly clicking. Never had a receiver do that
post #115 of 372 Old 04-13-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Man the constant clicking from the relays whenever the input signal changes from 2.0 to 5.0 or vice versa gets kinda annoying. My kid was scrolling through Netflix movies and the relay kept clicking every few movies. Cable is bad too.some Commercials are 2.0 and some are mono, and some are 5.1. so it's constantly clicking. Never had a receiver do that
There’s something wrong with your receiver. Mine doesn’t make any clicking sounds at all.
Seadaddy likes this.
post #116 of 372 Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There’s something wrong with your receiver. Mine doesn’t make any clicking sounds at all.
Really? I just thought it was one of the annoying cons of this amp. Yeah every time the source changes from d.d. to 2 channel it does it. So on a commercial break on comcast it will click two or three times. It's the same noise that the receiver makes when you hit the power button
post #117 of 372 Old 04-13-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really? I just thought it was one of the annoying cons of this amp. Yeah every time the source changes from d.d. to 2 channel it does it. So on a commercial break on comcast it will click two or three times. It's the same noise that the receiver makes when you hit the power button
No, mine doesn’t do that. Perhaps others can weigh in. I’ve never heard mine make that relay clicking noise.
post #118 of 372 Old 04-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
No, mine doesn’t do that. Perhaps others can weigh in. I’ve never heard mine make that relay clicking noise.

Mine doesn't do that either. Only time it clicks is when it's tuned off or on.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #119 of 372 Old 04-13-2019, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the heads up. Better get a return from crutchfield started.
post #120 of 372 Old 04-13-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Mine didnt do that either, tx-rz830
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , onkyo sound issues pc windows , onkyo tx-rz630

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page