"Official" (kinda) thread for Onkyo TX-RZ630-730-830 Networking A/V receivers - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #211 of 262 Old 06-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buteobander View Post
Thanks, Eric. That is interesting. Onkyo RZ support did tell me what I reported. I am trying to use the zone 2 line outs (not the pre-out, I think). I am using the regular speaker wire outs to zone 2 that one can also use for height speakers with a 7.1.2 configuration. I obviously have a 7.1 with zone 2 configuration. I have no separate amp for zone 2 (if this makes sense). Do I have something configured or connected wrong. I am doing this per the manual, which I downloaded. If the amp is supposed to have a digital to analog converter to zone 2, it must not be working with the connection and configuration I have. Should I be calling Onkyo again?

So far I only seem to be able to select Source on zone 2. Zone 2 should be able to play a different input than Main, but I either have not gotten this to work, or not figured it out yet. Onkyo also had no explanation for why I heard nothing from the zone 2 speakers during the multi-zone test when I redid the initial setup.

Okay, called Onkyo again: told me the same info. To get zone 2 to work with HDMI input, the input device needs to be set to PCM. This will downgrade the audio signal for the main speakers too, apparently. I don't want to do this (and I don't use zone 2 for the DVR anyway, or when watching Blue Ray movies). So the old LG player mentioned below which has analog outs (which I can use as a dedicated CD player) is a better work around.

I do happen to have an older LG DVD/Blue Ray player that had stopped working for DVDs some time ago (and which I replaced). It's been sitting around, and I tested it, and it will still play CDs and using the analog outputs for it, I can send sound to the zone 2 speakers. It is low profile physically, so it will fit in the cabinet easily. But if there is something I'm missing on the amp, I'd sure love to know.

One other note: the interface on the amp itself (controls) are much less user friendly than on the 606 for zone 2. The 606 had dedicated volume buttons for zone 2. The 603 does not, and also when playing music through main and zone 2, and then turning off the amp, it turns off only the main speakers. Seems one has to set the remote control to zone 2 to turn them off... nuts. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this on the amp itself.
Ok lots to tackle and not in order. First, welcome to Onkyo. My old Integra does the same thing, it will play zone 2 until I press the zone 2 button and then turn it off, it's like it has its own world.

You might need to go back to the settings and make it 5.1 with zone 2 and 3. Using line-outs plus 7.1 might be causing a conflict?

No. I might be confusing the terms but pcm should not change your avr to channel in the main zone. if you have your bluray direct to avr then the bluray is set to bitstream and avr to auto to let the avr do the decoding, iirc. If the tv is sending pcm signals back to the avr via optical cable, it will only send 2 channel, yes so change it to auto. I have my bluray direct to my 4k tv and that is set to auto so that it will then send 5 channel dolby or whatever back to my old Integra via optical out (pre hdmi).

With zone 2 preouts, the 2 channel amp will have a gain knob or sometimes an in-wall volume knob. I have not used my line-outs so I am not sure about getting the volume up in zone 2

Yes you can use that old cd player via analog rca pair to the avr for 2 channel listening. Just choose any of the analog inputs (except phono) and then remember to choose that as the source.

Ok hope that helps? I am off to a pool party with the kiddos, I will check back and see how you are doing in a few hours. Having Zone 2/3 is awesome, just a PITA to setup sometimes and that's on my old Integra, I am dreading it on my rz830 or lx503, whichever I get this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 262 Old 06-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am editing my post because I called Onkyo again and got someone who knew his stuff and got a very simple answer.

I had set the Blue Ray digital output to PCM as Onkyo recommended yesterday, but it didn't fix things, still no audio on zone 2 from the Blue Ray player.

Much simpler solution: had to go into the Input/Output Assign on the avr. >TV Out >Zone 2, change to "HDMI use" from "Off". Now I can select different sources for Zone 2 and the main speakers, and get sound from both the DVR and Blue Ray player to Zone 2. I could also set the audio output on the Blue Ray player back to "auto".

I had a feeling it would be a very simple solution. Just had to get a tech at Onkyo who knew his stuff. Hope this helps anyone else with this issue.

Enjoy the pool party with the kids. Mine are out of the nest and moved to the big city.

Last edited by Buteobander; 06-08-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #213 of 262 Old 06-08-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJR24 View Post
Hi All,

So I did post this as a reply in a thread, but I figured it may require a thread of its own to gain the proper attention.

I'm strongly leaning towards the Onkyo TX-RZ830 with 2 year extended warranty for my first HT receiver purchase. It will be a 5.1.2 setup with Klipsch speakers and subwoofer. My worry is CALIBRATION!

I do not know anything about calibration, so:
1.) Will the AccuEQ Advanced work well for a novice like me?
2.) If not, is there a site I can follow that will outline how to do manual calibration? (I believe some of the auto calibration would have features that you cannot do manually?)

I keep reading how Audyssey is much better, but the Denon receiver I would go for is about $300 more.

- Pete
Yes, it will calibrate your system that's the benefit of using Onkyo's AccuEQ Advance which requires 3 mic measurements. The Denon's Audyssey MultEQ XT requires 8 measurements. I've owned Denon receivers that I've calibrated and to my non-critical ear there is no difference to my Onkyo. My receivers are primarily used for movies and very little music. All receivers allow you to calibrate manually either by ear or preferably by using a sound meter if you do not like the results of the auto calibration.
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 262 Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Passive Subwoofer Not being Recognized by Onkyo Receiver

I have set up a home theater system with built in wall/ceiling speakers. I have a Onkyo TX-RZ830 Receiver. My subwoofer is not working. When I run the AccuEQ in the setup, the receiver does not recognize the subwoofer. In the setup, I turn the Subwoofer to "on" but it doesn't seem to be working. I have an LFE cable connected from the receiver (subwoofer pre-out) to a power amplifier (Monitor IWA-250). I also have a trigger out from the receiver to the amplifier. I have the subwoofer speaker wires (red and black) connected to the subwoofer speaker (Monitor Audio IWS-10). I tested the speaker with a batter to make sure the wires are connected to the speaker and that seems to be working. Also, the trigger switch/wiring is working correctly - when I turn on the receiver, the power amp also goes on correctly.
Can someone provide some advice on what I may be doing wrong - or if there is something specific I need to do with the set up? I am somewhat of a novice. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
post #215 of 262 Old 06-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have set up a home theater system with built in wall/ceiling speakers. I have a Onkyo TX-RZ830 Receiver. My subwoofer is not working. When I run the AccuEQ in the setup, the receiver does not recognize the subwoofer. In the setup, I turn the Subwoofer to "on" but it doesn't seem to be working. I have an LFE cable connected from the receiver (subwoofer pre-out) to a power amplifier (Monitor IWA-250). I also have a trigger out from the receiver to the amplifier. I have the subwoofer speaker wires (red and black) connected to the subwoofer speaker (Monitor Audio IWS-10). I tested the speaker with a batter to make sure the wires are connected to the speaker and that seems to be working. Also, the trigger switch/wiring is working correctly - when I turn on the receiver, the power amp also goes on correctly.
Can someone provide some advice on what I may be doing wrong - or if there is something specific I need to do with the set up? I am somewhat of a novice. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
when you say you have a trigger out, is that a power on trigger? If so, can you just turn the amp on? I've not played with this sort of set-up, but I'm wondering if there is a long enough delay for the amp to power on that the receiver doesn't sense it so it moves on.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #216 of 262 Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks,

Did you already read through the forum? I thought I read somwhere that the settings needed to be main + sub?
post #217 of 262 Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Thanks,
Stupid questions:

Do you have the LFE output of the Onkyo connected to the LFE input of the Monitor IWA-250? It might work if you used one of the stereo inputs, but I'd stick with the LFE in.

The amp has two sets of output binding posts, which are electrically connected. (It's a mono amp.) Do you have the speaker wires connected to a proper pair of posts? (Using the two positive posts would not work.)

I presume that you have played with the volume control of the amp.

Not trying to be insulting, but I've looked over the manual and there aren't many things that could be done wrong.
post #218 of 262 Old 06-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Thank you for responding. To answer your questions, 1. I do have the LFE output of the Onkyo connected to the LFE input on the IWA-250. I have not tried the stereo inputs. If I try the stereo inputs, do I just have the LFE output on the Onkyo connected to one of the stereo inputs, or to I have to do a "Y" to get both RCA (red and white) connected to the stereo inputs in the IWA-250? I would rather try to fix the LFE problem, but if I can't I will try this.
2. I have the speaker wires connected to one set of the binding posts (a positive and negative). I tried the other set of binding posts as well, but neither one made a difference.
3. I have played with the power amp on the IWA-250 and have cranked it all the way up, but am not getting anything.

I am guessing that there is not set up right on the Onkyo.
post #219 of 262 Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
when you say you have a trigger out, is that a power on trigger? If so, can you just turn the amp on? I've not played with this sort of set-up, but I'm wondering if there is a long enough delay for the amp to power on that the receiver doesn't sense it so it moves on.
Regarding the reply asking about the trigger. The trigger is a power trigger, so when the power on the Onkyo receiver goes on, the power on the IWA-250 amplifier also goes on. I have waited a while for the amp to power up before I tried the AccuEQ set up, but the Onkyo still did not recognize the subwoofer. I have also tried it without the trigger and just turned the power on the amplifier on and gave it several minutes before i ran the AccuEQ set up, but still no luck.
Muphasta likes this.
post #220 of 262 Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for responding. To answer your questions, 1. I do have the LFE output of the Onkyo connected to the LFE input on the IWA-250. I have not tried the stereo inputs. If I try the stereo inputs, do I just have the LFE output on the Onkyo connected to one of the stereo inputs, or to I have to do a "Y" to get both RCA (red and white) connected to the stereo inputs in the IWA-250? I would rather try to fix the LFE problem, but if I can't I will try this.
2. I have the speaker wires connected to one set of the binding posts (a positive and negative). I tried the other set of binding posts as well, but neither one made a difference.
3. I have played with the power amp on the IWA-250 and have cranked it all the way up, but am not getting anything.

I am guessing that there is not set up right on the Onkyo.
Kind of a unique problem. I'm thinking it may be time to talk to Onkyo support about this issue.

1-(844)-525-6053

post #221 of 262 Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Kind of a unique problem. I'm thinking it may be time to talk to Onkyo support about this issue.

1-(844)-525-6053
Thank you. That is probably my next option.
post #222 of 262 Old 06-17-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,
I’ve had my TX-RZ830 for a few weeks now and am wondering if what I’m seeing is an issue or not. Hopefully you all can help me confirm it or not.
I have a 5.1.4 setup, with 4 Atmos in ceiling mounted speakers. I go through the Setup, and all through it I see the front panel indicator showing all speakers enabled. This includes two Back Surround, which i assume are the rear 2 Atmos ones. After the Setup completes, the two Back Surround indicators turn off from the front panel, and at the same time there is a relay click. When I run some Atmos enabled tests, via XBox One and Windows 10 PC, selecting “I” on the remote shows me 5.1.4 Atmos as the AVR output. I’ve turned off the attached external 5channel amp, and just let the 830 play the Atmos speakers, and they do sound like they are playing, though at low volume.
So am I just seeing things, and the 830 is just not able to show rear height speakers, like front height ones on the front panel?
Thanks!
post #223 of 262 Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2jzge View Post
Hi,
I’ve had my TX-RZ830 for a few weeks now and am wondering if what I’m seeing is an issue or not. Hopefully you all can help me confirm it or not.
I have a 5.1.4 setup, with 4 Atmos in ceiling mounted speakers. I go through the Setup, and all through it I see the front panel indicator showing all speakers enabled. This includes two Back Surround, which i assume are the rear 2 Atmos ones. After the Setup completes, the two Back Surround indicators turn off from the front panel, and at the same time there is a relay click. When I run some Atmos enabled tests, via XBox One and Windows 10 PC, selecting “I” on the remote shows me 5.1.4 Atmos as the AVR output. I’ve turned off the attached external 5channel amp, and just let the 830 play the Atmos speakers, and they do sound like they are playing, though at low volume.
So am I just seeing things, and the 830 is just not able to show rear height speakers, like front height ones on the front panel?
Thanks!
The RZ830 in a 5.1.4 setup allows for Front, Center, Subwoofer, Surround, Height 1, Height 2.

For Height 1 use Top Front. For Height 2 use Top Rear.

Ideally this matches the layout you stated. This is done through the menu - Speaker Configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onkyo-speaker-combos.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	2581900  

post #224 of 262 Old 06-21-2019, 01:24 PM

Thanks! I’ve done the setup through Speaker Configuration just like you describe it for 5.1.4.

But my concern is that my RZ830 front panel display does not indicate SBL and SBR when processing Dolby Atmos. The pictures online like on Amazon and Crutchfield have these indicators on. Can I ask if some of you can please confirm what you see on your RZ830 if you have 5.1.4 setup?
post #225 of 262 Old 06-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Thanks! I’ve done the setup through Speaker Configuration just like you describe it for 5.1.4.

But my concern is that my RZ830 front panel display does not indicate SBL and SBR when processing Dolby Atmos. The pictures online like on Amazon and Crutchfield have these indicators on. Can I ask if some of you can please confirm what you see on your RZ830 if you have 5.1.4 setup?

You're using the "back heights" Atmos not SBL and SBR. If you were using 7.1.4 then they would be lit up. (on the floor behind you & you would need 2 channel amp on them) I am using 5.1.4 as well & they are not lit up on the receiver. Everything is working how it should.

Samsung UN65JS8500/Samsung UBD-K8500/Onkyo TX-RX830 using 5.2.4/Xbox One X w/Kinect
XBL Gamertag: MALICIOUS ONE
My Twitter
My Rock Band/Guitar Hero DLC

Last edited by MALICIOUS ONE; 06-22-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #226 of 262 Old 06-24-2019, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool Zone 2 info

Hi all. I searched high and low for details on how Zone 2 operated before buying the 830 and rolled the dice hoping it would do what I wanted. I'm pleased with the Zone 2 functionality, though it's not exactly what I hoped for.

I replaced a NR656, and that receiver could not pass audio from HDMI signals to Zone 2 -- but it could pass SPDIF and Optical -- so long as the device feeding the receiver was set to PCM audio. It's a hassle to have to keep going into the devices' menus to change it.

I was assured by a cs rep that the 830 would pass HDMI signals to Zone 2 no problem, and PCM was not required. Well, yes and no. The 830 (and I assume 630 and 730) has an ingenious and un-marketed solution: When a source is selected for Zone 2 that's already being used in the main room, the audio is downgraded internally to 2-channel PCM in both rooms automatically.

It's not perfect, and someday we'll get there, but for now the trade-off is, I think, a decent solution. So... no, you can't listen to Atmos in the main room and send it to a second room at the same time. Both rooms will be 2-channel, but you also don't have to muck with menus and setup -- it just takes care of it for you, and puts it back the way you had it when you turn Zone 2 off. I'm pretty happy with this.
post #227 of 262 Old 06-29-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with Onkyo TX-RZ830 setup 7.2.4

Hello,

New to this forum and first post. Been reading much of the great info on this forum so looking for help/advice (I am pretty much new to this).

I am setting up my media room in our new home. I have the Onkyo TX-RZ830 and have prewired in the walls for a 7.2.4 setup (and actually more wires for future proof). Setup of my room is basically 16x21 with 2 main rows of seating and a 3rd back bar area. Room is completely open behind bar (another 20ft). Speakers are Polk RT series front, center, sides, and RC80is in ceiling for Atmos and Rear surround.

Several questions as I get ready to install and wire speakers/Amp:

For the side surround, I have 4 speakers for both front side and rear side for coverage of 2 main rows. I would like to use only 2 channels and wire both left and right in parallel. My understanding is this will work with my receiver as my Polk RTs are 8ohm so 4ohm in parallel. Is that correct and if so any advice on how best to wire back into AVR. Could I use Y Cable back at cabinet to connect at speaker terminals back in audio cabinet? Or possibly use and A/B selector to combine (which would allow me to seperate in the future if I go to a larger receiver with more channels).

I know receiver can process up to 7.4.2 but will need separate power amp for at least 2 channels. My thought was to power the rears, side, or possibly ceiling Atmos speaker? If I do Rears, I have an extra pair of ceiling speakers for the open area just behind the media area. I was also thinking of wiring these up to the separate 2 channel amp perhaps with A/B/C/D options to combine Rear or separate when just listening to full audio in basement. After reading some other posts, I guess another option is to drive the Center and Fronts off of seperate Amplifier and then run rest of speakers off of the Onkyo 830?

Also for any of the above any advice on best external power amp to drive the additional speakers?

Again sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for the help.
post #228 of 262 Old 06-29-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
most receivers don't like a 4ohm load, even if it says they can handle it. they will dip below 4 ohms, probably hard on your receiver. I use a 5 channel amp for my 5 speakers and just use my receiver for my 4 atmos speakers and my receiver still gets hot, had to buy fan to cool it. didn't answer many of your questions, just some thoughts.
ku4ever2 and MALICIOUS ONE like this.

Last edited by Craig Woodhall; 06-29-2019 at 10:59 PM.
post #229 of 262 Old 06-29-2019, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

@Kuf orever2 agree with Craig, don't think the 8ohm parallel idea is smart, I think that is a subwoofer/sub amp thing only, not common in speakers and receivers?

OK, so two items for you to research in the rz830 forum until someone else chimes in.

1. The bar area can be hooked up to zone 2 preouts but I am not sure you can listen to atmos tracks using "all channel stereo" through the zone 2 preouts?

2. I think the rear heights (to make the 7.2.4) have to run off the zone 3 preouts with a 2 channel amp. That means the rz830 will not allow you to pick and choose which speakers are run by the rz and which are run by the 2 channel amp. The 2 channel amp can only power the rear heights through zone 3 preouts?

So hopefully someone who has 7.2.4 can chime in and help a little more.

Good luck!
Craig Woodhall and ku4ever2 like this.
post #230 of 262 Old 06-29-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
For the side surround, I have 4 speakers for both front side and rear side for coverage of 2 main rows. I would like to use only 2 channels and wire both left and right in parallel. My understanding is this will work with my receiver as my Polk RTs are 8ohm so 4ohm in parallel. Is that correct and if so any advice on how best to wire back into AVR. Could I use Y Cable back at cabinet to connect at speaker terminals back in audio cabinet? Or possibly use and A/B selector to combine (which would allow me to seperate in the future if I go to a larger receiver with more channels).

So you want to run 4 speakers just for L/R surround? run a dedicated 2 channel amp that can handle a 4 ohm load and wire each side in stereo parallel and run a left and right RCA from your Onkyo pre-out to your dedicated amp and et your receiver handle the rest. Also try asking in Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
ku4ever2 likes this.
post #231 of 262 Old 06-29-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALICIOUS ONE View Post
Quote:
Thanks! I’️ve done the setup through Speaker Configuration just like you describe it for 5.1.4.

You're using the "back heights" Atmos not SBL and SBR. If you were using 7.1.4 then they would be lit up. (on the floor behind you & you would need 2 channel amp on them) I am using 5.1.4 as well & they are not lit up on the receiver. Everything is working how it should.
Thank you for confirming! I’m really glad to hear that things are working as they should. 🙂
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.
post #232 of 262 Old 06-30-2019, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I wasnt sure where in forum to post but agree might fit better in the "Dedicated Theater Design" section. I will post there as well but if anyone has tried what I am trying to do with the Onkyo TX-RX830 please let me know what works.

Agree I dont want to push the Amp too much with the 4 Ohm load (even though it states it can handle it). And I thought I read I could use the pre-outs for any area but if can only be used for Rears for example would be good to know.

I know this a newbie question, but if I ran a larger pre amp (say 5 channel) it still wont help me drive more than a 7.2.4 setup with the Onkyo since that is the full capability of the Amp? Honestly I have enought speakers where I could run up to 13+ channels - but that will need to wait until those receivers come down in price..I have already blown out my budget..but dont tell the wife
post #233 of 262 Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 AM

Hey guys...newbie here. Posted this on the general forum but thought this thread would give me more specifics.

I have the Onkyo TX-RZ830. Working on setting up my media room in new house. I prewired for up to 13+ channels but of course getting a Receiver to drive that many right now was beyond my budget.

Going for a 7.2.4 setup with some tweaks. My theatre room is basically 16x21 with 2 main rows of seating and a 3rd back bar area. And room is completely open behind bar to the basement (another 20ft). Speakers are Polk RT series front, center, sides, and RC80is in ceiling for Atmos and Rear surround. I basically have wired 15 speakers with 4 pairs covering L/R surround (covering both rows) and an extra pair in the area further behind the media room.

So after looking thru the thread, I saw the config matrix (thanks!). Sounds like there is only one way to hook up a 7.2.4 with a pre amp driving the Rear Surround? (Just wanted to confirm since I was originally planning on driving my 4 mid surrounds in parallel with 2 channels out thru a seperate pre amp.

So if I drive the Rears on pre-amp then I am wondering for my 4 mid surrounds if I can wire in parallel and connect to the 2 channels for surround. For my 8 ohm speakers I know that would drive a 4 ohm load and concernced that might push the Amp too much (although I know it is rated for 4 ohms).

The last thing I was considering was wiring my extra pair (behind media) to the Zone 2 and could use occasionally when driving full audio in basement . My understanding is that would disable one of the Height speakers which would be fine in a pinch. The other option for that back pair is to also combine with the main pair of Rears...since I am going thru a pre amp I could possibly use to drive 4 speakers for Rear surround (or switch off if utilize A/B switch)?

Again sorry for all the questions and apologies in advance for any stupid questions since I am new to this.
post #234 of 262 Old 06-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4ever2 View Post
Sounds like there is only one way to hook up a 7.2.4 with a pre amp driving the Rear Surround?
Correct
post #235 of 262 Old 06-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan ii View Post
Correct
That should be power amp.
post #236 of 262 Old 06-30-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4ever2 View Post
Hey guys...newbie here. Posted this on the general forum but thought this thread would give me more specifics.

I have the Onkyo TX-RZ830. Working on setting up my media room in new house. I prewired for up to 13+ channels but of course getting a Receiver to drive that many right now was beyond my budget.

Going for a 7.2.4 setup with some tweaks. My theatre room is basically 16x21 with 2 main rows of seating and a 3rd back bar area. And room is completely open behind bar to the basement (another 20ft). Speakers are Polk RT series front, center, sides, and RC80is in ceiling for Atmos and Rear surround. I basically have wired 15 speakers with 4 pairs covering L/R surround (covering both rows) and an extra pair in the area further behind the media room.

So after looking thru the thread, I saw the config matrix (thanks!). Sounds like there is only one way to hook up a 7.2.4 with a pre amp driving the Rear Surround? (Just wanted to confirm since I was originally planning on driving my 4 mid surrounds in parallel with 2 channels out thru a seperate pre amp.

So if I drive the Rears on pre-amp then I am wondering for my 4 mid surrounds if I can wire in parallel and connect to the 2 channels for surround. For my 8 ohm speakers I know that would drive a 4 ohm load and concernced that might push the Amp too much (although I know it is rated for 4 ohms).

The last thing I was considering was wiring my extra pair (behind media) to the Zone 2 and could use occasionally when driving full audio in basement . My understanding is that would disable one of the Height speakers which would be fine in a pinch. The other option for that back pair is to also combine with the main pair of Rears...since I am going thru a pre amp I could possibly use to drive 4 speakers for Rear surround (or switch off if utilize A/B switch)?

Again sorry for all the questions and apologies in advance for any stupid questions since I am new to this.
My impression after reading your speaker plans is that you should have budgeted for 11.2 receiver.

post #237 of 262 Old 06-30-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
That should be power amp.
Ha..yes I mean power amp. Like I said, new to all the language so know just enough to be dangerous But I am looking fwd to the project and learning as I go.

So any recommendations on the Power Amp to drive the Rears? As I mentioned, one option would be to combine all 4 speakers to drive Rear and assume I would need a different power amp to do that (or just wire in parallel if driving to 2 channels). I thought I saw some Amps that combine ability to switch speakers (with A/B/C/D) or combine if you want to drive together and it would do a better job handling the impedence?

If I wire those extra rears to the Zone 2, is it correct that it would disable 2 of the height speakers(so effectively would be running 7.2) when zone2 is active..and how does that happen?
post #238 of 262 Old 06-30-2019, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have an onkyo 830. It is rated for 4 ohms, i have emotiva T1 and C2 on mine at one point. Never got hot. I now have a 7 channel amp for the lower 7 speakers and use receiver for atmos. Gave me alot more dynamics. The rear surrounds have to be powered by an amp no matter what if you want 4 atmos speakers and rear surrounds.
Besides the rear surrounds that need to be powered to be used, i would power the front 3 before any other speakers. Most movies sound come from those 3.
Not sure how the the 2 speakers on the same channel will work as i have never tried this myself.
I used a emotiva basx 7 channel ($600). If you just want to do the LCR speakers and rear surround can use a 5 channel. Emotiva has some renewed ones for $424.15 or $500 new. There are other options out there this is just one of the least expensive if your trying to stay cheaper for now and upgrade later and move the amp to power atmos speakers or the side and rear surrounds.
The onkyo can only process 7.2.4, if you want to do more you have to upgrade the avr to one alot more expensive than the 830.
post #239 of 262 Old 06-30-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
My impression after reading your speaker plans is that you should have budgeted for 11.2 receiver.
Yes..down the road will likely upgrade to 11 or 13 channel receiver when cheaper. But from what I read the Onkyo 830 was a good option for a 7.2.4 setup with a power amp (I realize there is always better more expensive options).

For those using for that setup, just curious what work best. I do not need to use all the speakers initially if it is not going to work or push the amp too far?
post #240 of 262 Old 06-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold87 View Post
I have an onkyo 830. It is rated for 4 ohms, i have emotiva T1 and C2 on mine at one point. Never got hot. I now have a 7 channel amp for the lower 7 speakers and use receiver for atmos. Gave me alot more dynamics. The rear surrounds have to be powered by an amp no matter what if you want 4 atmos speakers and rear surrounds.
Besides the rear surrounds that need to be powered to be used, i would power the front 3 before any other speakers. Most movies sound come from those 3.
Not sure how the the 2 speakers on the same channel will work as i have never tried this myself.
I used a emotiva basx 7 channel ($600). If you just want to do the LCR speakers and rear surround can use a 5 channel. Emotiva has some renewed ones for $424.15 or $500 new. There are other options out there this is just one of the least expensive if your trying to stay cheaper for now and upgrade later and move the amp to power atmos speakers or the side and rear surrounds.
The onkyo can only process 7.2.4, if you want to do more you have to upgrade the avr to one alot more expensive than the 830.
Thanks for the info. If I go the Emotiva 5 channel route, how does that work with my main receiver (the Onkyo 830). Assume the Onkyo is still handling all the processing for the 7.2.4 setup..but the Emotiva would give me more power to the L/R/C and still be able to drive the Rears (so would not have to buy another separate power amp for that)

Again sorry if that is stupid question..just first time thru this so appreciate any help on how I would do that setup with the Onkyo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page