Weird audio problem / need help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Espo77
  • 1 Post By beckmaster

post #1 of 19 Old 01-27-2019, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Weird audio problem / need help

I'm having a problem with sound output. Here is the setup

.....................Amazon Fire TV
..............................l
...........HDMI splitter from monoprice
.................l............................l
...JVC X550 projector...........Arcam AVR400

With the above setup I get sound via HDMI. If I remove the HDMI splitter I get no sound.

Amazon Fire TV ----> Arcam -----> JVC X55p projector. I get no sound and sometimes a pinkish hue display.

If I make old Toshiba TV as the display I have sound.

Amazon Fire TV ----> Arcam -----> old Toshiba LCD TV

Something about connecting the projector forces a loss in sound.

Can anyone assist me in understanding what is going on and what I need to do? Please. I have been struggling with this for months and just not sure what to do. I would leave it as it is, but the above setup sometimes fails requiring me to restart everything.

Last edited by beckmaster; 01-28-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-27-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
How long are the HDMI cables?

Can you take the splitter out completely, and go Amazon Fire TV HDMI out to HDMI in on the receiver, then HDMI out of Receiver to the Projector HDMI input.
Using the receiver as a docking station makes better sense, doesn’t it?
You shouldn’t need a splitter.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator

Last edited by Espo77; 01-27-2019 at 04:10 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-27-2019, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
How long are the HDMI cables?

Can you take the splitter out completely, and go Amazon Fire TV HDMI out to HDMI in on the receiver, then HDMI out of Receiver to the Projector HDMI input.
Using the receiver as a docking station makes better sense, doesn’t it?
You shouldn’t need a splitter.
Thats what I am saying. it doesn't work without the splitter. With the splitter it works just fine.

I have multiple cables ranging from 3-6 feet and tried multiple different cables in different positions with the same results.

Last edited by beckmaster; 01-27-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

...have you tried using the receiver as the docking station? You didn’t answer my question.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
post #5 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22007 Post(s)
Liked: 11930
With the splitter removed, try connecting to each of the other HDMI inputs on the ARCAM to see if one works better than another. Also, to mitigate an HDMI handshake issue, power on the PJ first, pause 5 seconds, ARCAM, pause 5 seconds, source. A pink hue can also indicate either a loose or defective HDMI cable.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
...have you tried using the receiver as the docking station? You didn’t answer my question.
My apologies. It appears I do not understand what you mean by docking station. Can you please elaborate?
post #7 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
With the splitter removed, try connecting to each of the other HDMI inputs on the ARCAM to see if one works better than another. Also, to mitigate an HDMI handshake issue, power on the PJ first, pause 5 seconds, ARCAM, pause 5 seconds, source. A pink hue can also indicate either a loose or defective HDMI cable.
I have tried 3 different inputs with the exact same results. I have also tried multiple HDMI cables again with the same results. Here is another interesting fact. I can be playing a movie through the projector and there will be no sound. I unplug the HDMI video out from the projector and plug it into an old TV and I get sound. I think it has something to do with the projector.

I will try the 5 second start process later tonight. Thanks.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmaster View Post
I have tried 3 different inputs with the exact same results. I have also tried multiple HDMI cables again with the same results. Here is another interesting fact. I can be playing a movie through the projector and there will be no sound. I unplug the HDMI video out from the projector and plug it into an old TV and I get sound. I think it has something to do with the projector.

I will try the 5 second start process later tonight. Thanks.
This has been known to happen (any brand) due to the EDID processing of the display in that a TV can process sound while a PJ generally cannot so that interrupts the HDMI signal chain even though you want the sound processed by the ARCAM and not the PJ. Try placing the HDMI splitter between the ARCAM and the PJ connecting the FireTV stick to the ARCAM.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
I'm having a problem with sound output. Here is the setup

.....................Amazon Fire TV
..............................l
...........HDMI splitter from monoprice
.................l............................l
...JVC X550 projector...........Arcam AVR400

With the above setup I get sound via HDMI. If I remove the HDMI splitter I get no sound. If I make old Toshiba TV as the display I have sound. Something about connecting the projector forces a loss in sound. Also what is interesting, without the splitter to the TV everything works fine, direct to the projector with no sound I also get a pink hue to the screen and sometimes flickering which seams to be some form of handshake issue.

Can anyone assist me in understanding what is going on and what I need to do? Please. I have been struggling with this for months and just not sure what to do. I would leave it as it is, but the above setup sometimes fails requiring me to restart everything.
Diagram doesn't look right to me. If it's even valid, to get that to work, you might need to config-and-use ARC.

I say Arcam AVR should be "in the middle" and everything should connect to AVR directly via HDMI.

If you want to use a splitter (ie, "cloner"), it would be on the AVR's HDMI output. Then, signal goes to both projector and TV concurrently. Just power-on either one (or both).

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #10 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Diagram doesn't look right to me. If it's even valid, to get that to work, you might need to config-and-use ARC.

I say Arcam AVR should be "in the middle" and everything should connect to AVR directly via HDMI.

If you want to use a splitter (ie, "cloner"), it would be on the AVR's HDMI output. Then, signal goes to both projector and TV concurrently. Just power-on either one (or both).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	998.5 KB
ID:	2517426  

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 01-28-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My apologies. It appears I do not understand what you mean by docking station. Can you please elaborate?
All sources to be connected to the receiver’s HDMI inputs.
HDMI out of Receiver to HDMI input on Projector.

This can simplify the wiring in the system if you have a wall mounted TV. Example: All equipment...Blu-Ray Player, CD Player, Set Top Boxes etc. are kept together in an entertainment center, with minimal lengths of cables and wires.
Then one cable ran to the TV.

In your situation, assuming the Projector is ceiling mounted, running just one cable from the receiver up and overhead to the Projector makes more sense, doesn’t it?

I’m going with the assumption that the receiver passes the video signal properly as intended.

post #12 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but what you suggested works with the firestick plugged in the AVR HDMI in. What about using Amazon FireTV? How to get the input to the AVR? TIA
post #13 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
All sources to be connected to the receiver’s HDMI inputs.
HDMI out of Receiver to HDMI input on Projector.

This can simplify the wiring in the system if you have a wall mounted TV. Example: All equipment...Blu-Ray Player, CD Player, Set Top Boxes etc. are kept together in an entertainment center, with minimal lengths of cables and wires.
Then one cable ran to the TV.

In your situation, assuming the Projector is ceiling mounted, running just one cable from the receiver up and overhead to the Projector makes more sense, doesn’t it?

I’m going with the assumption that the receiver passes the video signal properly as intended.
That is exactly what I have tried and does not work

Fire TV --> Arcam --> JVC projector
In this configuration I lose sound and get a pink hue display.

I edited the original post to explain what I have tried and what works/doesn't work.

it seams like the receiver passes video properly wend I send it to the TV. Sometimes it passes it properly to the projector and sometimes it gives me a pink hue.

Also, the TV was brought up to test what works and what doesn't work. It normally sits in the guest room. The projector screen is a fixed mount. This is a dark dedicated media room.

Last edited by beckmaster; 01-28-2019 at 01:14 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This has been known to happen (any brand) due to the EDID processing of the display in that a TV can process sound while a PJ generally cannot so that interrupts the HDMI signal chain even though you want the sound processed by the ARCAM and not the PJ. Try placing the HDMI splitter between the ARCAM and the PJ connecting the FireTV stick to the ARCAM.
Nice idea. I will give it a try tonight and see how it works. It would be a preferable setup.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I amended my original post to explain better. I am forced into doing what I have right now to make it work. Proper connection using the Arcam as the docking station is what causes me all the trouble. I also don't need or want a TV in that room. The TV I brought up for testing purposes only. It normally sits in a guest room running its own FireTV.

I use a splitter so that I can send sound to the Arcam and video to the projector, again because I don't get sound any other way and I often get a pink hue.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

1. I am forced into doing what I have right now to make it work.

2. Proper connection using the Arcam as the docking station is what causes me all the trouble ( I get no sound and often get a pink hue).

3. I also don't need or want a TV in that room. The TV I brought up for testing purposes only. It normally sits in a guest room running its own FireTV.

4. I use a splitter so that I can send sound to the Arcam and video to the projector, again because I don't get sound any other way.
1. OK, got it.

2. It should work. Sounds like a hardware problem. Maybe one of your HDMI cables is bad. Remember, the long cable to the projector must be heavy gauge and I like non-Redmere (or other tricks).

3. Got it. Just using for testing ... good.

4. I feel that any wiring config other than "everything home-runned to the AVR" is non-standard in my book. Strange configs results in strange problems.

Typically, HDMI splitters (cloners) are used on the final HDMI output (as I suggested). HDMI has heavy protections against copying/cloning signal and it also does HDMI-negotiations between components before it decides to do something.

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #17 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I saw here the answer to my problem
Forum Link

The recommendation was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTGallagher View Post
As suggested in the RS600 thread:
change the HDMI input on the JVC to [2] and then change the HDMI-2 EDID to B under the Input Signal settings.
(Now to figure out what all this means...)

Deepest thanks to posters @thxman , @krichter1 and @BruceJK in the RS600 thread.
I did that and it worked. Yeah!
post #18 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchie View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but what you suggested works with the firestick plugged in the AVR HDMI in. What about using Amazon FireTV? How to get the input to the AVR? TIA
I have an Amazon Fire TV...not sure what generation though. From a year or so ago. It’s a small set top box with Ethernet input and HDMI out. It’s wireless also. That’s the way I use it, wirelessly, with great results. So HDMI out of Fire tv to HDMI in on the receiver.
natchie likes this.

post #19 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have an Amazon Fire TV...not sure what generation though. From a year or so ago. It’s a small set top box with Ethernet input and HDMI out. It’s wireless also. That’s the way I use it, wirelessly, with great results. So HDMI out of Fire tv to HDMI in on the receiver.
This is exactly how I run all of our Amazon FireTVs except for the one in the media room that is hardwired to the router.
natchie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page