Anthem ARC Genesis Room Correction Unveiled at ISE 2019 - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #121 of 153 Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
For my living room, I'm willing to use acoustic treatments that ameliorate the biggest issues but I don't want the room to look like a space station interior just for the last nth.
[...]
To me that's 1 thing that differentiates ARC from all but the most expensive full-blown RC systems like Trinnov or Lake.
Yeah, my room looks like a space station. But that's another (long) story, and it is a FACT that below 100 Hz or so, no reasonable acoustic treatment can do as much as needs be done. Like many others, I find it best to do as much as feasible with acoustics, the rest with DSP.

Regarding Trinnov, I considered the Amethyst, maybe used as it would be a big stretch for me. But being (basically) built on a computer chassis, it has a fan; and at least one reviewer found that fan audible. That crossed it off my list right away. I think I'm happier with ARC, with fewer knobs to twist. I actually do like music as well as fiddling with the hifi.

Cheers!

Mike (Portland, Oregon -- no longer in North Carolina)

Main 2.2 system: Synology NAS, Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR (DAC-)Preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classe CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s power amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 153 Old 03-18-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Everyone's situation is different right?
I have a dedicated music theater room built from the ground up in my basement.
In there everything goes as far as what I want to do tooptimize the A/V experience for home theater & multi-channel music.

In the living room I have to take into account the asthetic opinion of myself and others.
Since it is 2-channel, it won't be extreme and I don't think it needs to be that way.
No coffee table or glass furniture. Vicoustic makes attractive, effective treatments but measurements will taken after everything is configured.
The treatment decisions will be made then.
I like as clean a living space as possible while still being comfortable, inviting and not sterile.

Cheers to you too!
Mike in NC likes this.

post #123 of 153 Old 03-19-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
I think the statement that correcting above 500hz means you're speakers are bad is looking at it from a mistaken POV and patently wrong.
Correcting above 500hz doesn't automatically involve the speakers themselves but the room and to an extent placement, right?

That's exactly why it's problematic, i.e. trying to correct the effects of boundary reflections and comb filtering, which vary wildly with location.

I don't know why more RC systems don't do what my lowly HK 635 receiver did - take a measurement directly in front of a main speaker to capture its intrinsic response.

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 153 Old 03-19-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
My impression of ARC on the STR is that it corrects with fewer side-effects than other systems I have used. The TacT 2.2X to my ears always added a little hardness, as did most other DSP I have tried. Analog EQ I've tried has added veiling. The STR is in a different class to my ears, in that I do not notice any adverse effects from its DSP.
If that's true for STR, then the ARC implementation on STR is much better than on MRX/AVM.
I would really like to hear STR.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
post #125 of 153 Old 03-19-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
That's exactly why it's problematic, i.e. trying to correct the effects of boundary reflections and comb filtering, which vary wildly with location.

Doesn't a system that measures at multiple points (like ARC) address that issue, at least to some degree?

Main 2.2 system: Synology NAS, Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR (DAC-)Preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classe CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s power amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.
post #126 of 153 Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Doesn't a system that measures at multiple points (like ARC) address that issue, at least to some degree?

Yes, but the resulting averaging may not be better than nothing.

Noah
post #127 of 153 Old 03-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Yes, but the resulting averaging may not be better than nothing.

Granted; that's always a possibility. In my experience, it has been a lot better than nothing. Perhaps that's because the rooms have been treated acoustically.

post #128 of 153 Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 PM

Question

Has anyone here had the opportunity to try ARC Genesis? I've been hoping for it, but the Web site still says "Coming Soon -- Available April 2019."

(I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, as in my experience, audio companies are always late with hardware and later still with software.)

If you have tried it, comments on how it differs, please?

post #129 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Has anyone here had the opportunity to try ARC Genesis? I've been hoping for it, but the Web site still says "Coming Soon -- Available April 2019."

(I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, as in my experience, audio companies are always late with hardware and later still with software.)

If you have tried it, comments on how it differs, please?

ARC Genesis is available for download! You can check out the new ARC website at www.anthemarc.com
Taken from the read-me file:
Quote:
Version 1.0.0.8849
- Initial 1.0.0 release
Mike in NC likes this.
post #130 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Well AVM-60 owners likes myself are having issues with Genesis....Surprise:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...hread-297.html

I gave up on my Windows 7 Premium laptop (Acer Atom), yes it's old by todays standards so I purchased a new HP laptop running Windows 10 Home Edition but it's been tied up doing updates for over an hr so I wont be running Genesis (if it even works) tonight.

Very disappointing release Anthem.
post #131 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57991844

Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
post #132 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 59
In case the new ARC Genesis software doesn't present a meaningful error message about missing capabilities of ones Laptop/PC they should add that to minimize support requests.
I'm not ready to remotely guess where someone complaining about the software doesn't meet the requirements.

In case it won't work on my system I might just wait another 1 or 2 new version releases, it's not like the old software didn't do the trick...

So did I get this right? The STR specific feature is automatic phase alignment of Mains and Subwoofer. That should help some clueless or in case there is a strain in the back and you can't reach those subs phase knobs...

Last edited by mazpri; 05-03-2019 at 02:10 AM.
post #133 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it worth running again for an MRX 1120?

Hi,

What's the consensus on re-running ARC Genesis? Would it improve on anything?

Thanks
post #134 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Just downloaded, installed (on MacBook), launched to to see it - with ZERO time to play, it immediately found my AVM60 - so no immediate networking issues, good. Overall look - I like it! Try to play this weekend......

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #135 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Looks like it doesn't have a true curve editor, just some more adjustment options for the standard curve.

I was expecting to be able to fully adjust the curve. I am disappoint.
Mike in NC likes this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #136 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, but it's quite enough to create a Harman/house target curve.
Legairre and Mike in NC like this.

LG OLED65C7V
post #137 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
It's definitely an improvement from almost no options in ARC2. But I'm not sure why they didn't finish the job and allow full customization like their competitors.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #138 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

I miss one option much more - ability to turn off ARC on front speakers.

LG OLED65C7V
post #139 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 05:37 PM

Wink Not clueless, but sore knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
So did I get this right? The STR specific feature is automatic phase alignment of Mains and Subwoofer. That should help some clueless or in case there is a strain in the back and you can't reach those subs phase knobs...
That's my understanding, too. With my 70-yr-old back and knees, and the need to take the grilles off the subs to adjust phase, I am delighted to have an automatic option. Eventually, I may take independent measurements to see if I agree with its computer-brain.

And, THANKS for the link to the download. M.

post #140 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 05:44 PM

Harman vs Anthem targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post

Is there a plot available anywhere showing those two targets overlaid?

post #141 of 153 Old 05-03-2019, 11:19 PM

Tonight I made my first measurements and corrections with ARC Genesis, running on a Windows 10 laptop and working with an STR Preamp. Some observations:
  1. The increased flexibility in the target curve is welcome. One thing one can't do is add a 3kHz dip ("Gundry dip") to a profile or other arbitrary PEQ.
  2. The GUI is different and it will take a while to figure out where everything is.
  3. The auto phase adjust is a nice feature. I hope the next version won't use very loud sine sweeps, which activated my (usually slight and occasional) tinnitus way more than the main calibration sweeps.
  4. I have no idea how the "listener distance" settings on the STR interact with the automatic sub phase adjustment. Presumably if the former are changed, the latter must be run again (which I'm hesitant to do because of the high sound levels).
  5. To me, the sonic results are better than ever, both through the midrange and HF and in the bass -- perhaps partly because I forgot to reset phase after putting the STR into my system.

Last edited by Mike in NC; 05-03-2019 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Typos
post #142 of 153 Old 05-05-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Does it compute distances now? I was annoyed at the lack of that basic feature within ARC.
It's not a lack of a feature...here is a quote from this article:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/audio-accessory/audio-calibration/anthem-room-correction-arc-system-part-1/

ARC does not calculate distances between the speaker and microphone. These need to be manually entered using the on screen display of an Anthem AVR or Pre/Pro. This is the one downside of the USB microphone. It is not possible to accurately estimate the delay from the ADC and USB encoder in the microphone, and the USB decoder in the computer. If an analog microphone and preamp were connected to one side of a stereo USB sound card locally at the computer, then the other channel could be used as loopback for a timing reference.

I see a major upside in placing the entire analog signal processing inside the microphone, and little downside in having to use a tape measure, especially since some room EQs appear to make significant errors in the automatic distance measurement.
ST Dog likes this.
post #143 of 153 Old 05-05-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevyh View Post
..... and little downside in having to use a tape measure, especially since some room EQs appear to make significant errors in the automatic distance measurement.
It's not strictly measuring physical distance. It's for setting delays, so the auto measurement is compensating based upon that, which often results in a distance measurement being reported that doesn't match the actual physical distance.

Bottom line: I hope you haven't been manually "fixing" the measurements that the auto EQ has been providing!
post #144 of 153 Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
It's not strictly measuring physical distance. It's for setting delays, so the auto measurement is compensating based upon that, which often results in a distance measurement being reported that doesn't match the actual physical distance.

Bottom line: I hope you haven't been manually "fixing" the measurements that the auto EQ has been providing!
I don't think ARC gives you the option for tweaking the timing..just inputting the speaker distances that you manually measure.
post #145 of 153 Old 05-05-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arc Genesis First Run. Most channels set +3 or more DB? Thoughts? PDF File included

Hi Everyone,

I just tested my first Arc Genesis run on my AVM-60. I noticed that almost all the channels were set to +3db or more after the run. Does that seem right?

I'm kind of new to this whole room correction.

Any chance someone can check out the PDF file I attached and give me any feedback?

Thanks everyone!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ArcGenesis5-1.pdf (290.0 KB, 35 views)

|Paradigm Studio 100 V.3 Towers | Paradigm Signature C5 V.3 Center | Paradigm Signature 1.5R Heights x 4 l Paradigm ADP-470 V.3 Rear | DUAL Paradigm Seismic 12's
Anthem AVM-60 Processor
Emotiva XPA-1 x 2 (Studio 100's) |Emotiva XPA-1 (Signature C5) | Outlaw 7000x (Atmos & Surrounds)
post #146 of 153 Old 05-07-2019, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazystang View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just tested my first Arc Genesis run on my AVM-60. I noticed that almost all the channels were set to +3db or more after the run. Does that seem right?

I'm kind of new to this whole room correction.

Any chance someone can check out the PDF file I attached and give me any feedback?

Thanks everyone!
From what I have learned, a +3db is fine but any more than that then ARC would be utilizing too many of its resources to combat the issue. You could set the system wide level up a notch and re-run to try and bring it down closer to 0 db if you felt like tinkering. That said, I have yet to run Genesis my experience is with ARC (earlier generation).

Anthem AVM 60, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" Curved AT Scope Screen, Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 Laser 3D Projector, Samsung 4K Blu-ray Player, Oculus Rift, Quest and Go VR, Xbox One X, PS4, Clark Synthesis Transducer For Chair
post #147 of 153 Old 05-07-2019, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post
From what I have learned, a +3db is fine but any more than that then ARC would be utilizing too many of its resources to combat the issue.
?

LG OLED65C7V
post #148 of 153 Old 05-07-2019, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazystang View Post
Your sub is to loud, 5dB louder than the mains. (-3 to 2 dB).

So ARC is cutting the sub and boosting the rest to balance them out. It could have cut the sub more (-5) then the mains would be 0 and the others +1 or 2.

Turn the volume/level on the sub down and run ARC again.

I'd tweak until sub and mains are zero.

But it not to bad (no -12's) and usable as is.

Last edited by ST Dog; 05-07-2019 at 05:53 AM.
post #149 of 153 Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Yes I know that changing the timing measurements would mess with the results and as far as I know you can't change those measurements from within ARC anyway. My comment was just that having to manually input your speaker distances is not a feature that they left out.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #150 of 153 Old 05-10-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevyh View Post
Yes I know..
Ok. I only mentioned it because it's not an uncommon misconception by newbies (in general, not specific to the ARC procedure as you've already mentioned).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
anthem room correction , arc , ise 2019

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page