• 1 Post By wardman1
  • 2 Post By golfster

post #1 of 12 Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AV Receiver Ventilation

So I have a denon x3400. I was wondering if the cubby I'm putting it in will have enough ventilation. As you can see in the picture there's barely any space at the top (millimeters) and maybe two or 3 inches on each side, A small hole in the back and the front will be open. Will the reciever have adequate ventilation?..and if not, would drilling a few holes on the shelf above help? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8321B03-D4E3-4238-8B75-949E72E363F2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	2523894  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-10-2019, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalder19 View Post
So I have a denon x3400. I was wondering if the cubby I'm putting it in will have enough ventilation. As you can see in the picture there's barely any space at the top (millimeters) and maybe two or 3 inches on each side, A small hole in the back and the front will be open. Will the reciever have adequate ventilation?..and if not, would drilling a few holes on the shelf above help? Thank you.

Per denon: https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...recommendation “Although there's no definitive specification, we recommend a minimum of 5 inches of ventilation space on top and 2 inches on either side of the receiver/amplifier to reduce the risk of the amplifier overheating and tripping the Protection Circuit when playing at moderate to high volume output levels. For added protection, you may also incorporate the use of an external cooling fan to exhaust heat away from the top of the unit.”

If you could get at least 1 1/2 inches - you could put a fan on top like this https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-F...CwL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperFist and Madmax67 like this.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 3405
Quote:
I don't think the receiver is going to last long there. Like minutes.
Drilling holes would definitely help, not sure it would be enough, though. Maybe if you put one of these above the holes, that would be enough.
https://www.acinfinity.com/component...0aAti1EALw_wcB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-10-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Agree with the others. If you can move the shelf above the Denon up about an inch and a half, you can put some cooling fans in place. Otherwise, you are going to cook your Denon in no time flat.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I don't think the receiver is going to last long there. Like minutes.
Drilling holes would definitely help, not sure it would be enough, though. Maybe if you put one of these above the holes, that would be enough.
https://www.acinfinity.com/component...0aAti1EALw_wcB
"minutes" is an exaggeration, but I agree it will not last long like that!
post #6 of 12 Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
...can you remove the shelf? If it is structural, then you could replace with a couple long threaded rods.
Any entrapment of air is going to raise the temperature inside that area. I would take out the shelf and open up a couple holes in the back section.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #7 of 12 Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Can you supply a photo of the whole piece of furniture? I wonder whether there is some more appropriate location for the 3400.

If not, I hope that you have the funds to replace it. You wouldn't want to risk cooking your 3400 by running it in an inappropriate stand like that one.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-11-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea the shelf is non removable. What I'm thinking of doing is cutting out 4 long sections about the length of the reciever and an inch wide each on that top shelf and hopefully that is enough airflow, and if still not maybe the fan on the top shelf will help as well. And also making a bigger hole in the back.

Also the cubbies to either side have a little more clearance up top (maybe an inch) but less on the sides. Don't know if that would be better or still the same.

Thanks for the help and suggestions
post #9 of 12 Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Yea the shelf is non removable. What I'm thinking of doing is cutting out 4 long sections about the length of the reciever and an inch wide each on that top shelf and hopefully that is enough airflow, and if still not maybe the fan on the top shelf will help as well. And also making a bigger hole in the back.

Also the cubbies to either side have a little more clearance up top (maybe an inch) but less on the sides. Don't know if that would be better or still the same.

Thanks for the help and suggestions
Use a hole saw, or reciprocating and cut the back out, behind the AVR. You won't see it and it will add air flow.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
it would last about 5 minutes before you fry it. unless you cut that whole shelf out id get a fan..that receiver runs hot i would spend 100$ and get a ac infinity t10 . i have one works great can set the temp for fan come on and shoots the hot air out front
post #11 of 12 Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I would cut out as big a rectangle above the receiver that I could in the shelf above the receiver (leaving the front edge) and cut a couple holes in the shelf below it to allow air flow. Home Depot and Lowe's sell metal grill work that could be cut to size to lay on top of the shelf for cosmetic purposes.
Montucky and Madmax67 like this.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I would somehow try to remove that center shelf above the avr, for proper air space above.

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page