Need help to choose/eliminate/differences - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Clipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
On my list is the onkyo 676 and 686 and its competition is the x1400 and x1500.

Will be running klipsch RP-160 and 150s with probably a pb-2000.

What are, if any, real differences among these four?

Mainly gaming and movies, music is not a priority

Last edited by Clipse; 02-20-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Clipse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I would go with the Denon 1400 since you can find great deals on those and its a firmware update away from being very similar to the 1500. Check prices in the deals stickie or check Amazon or Crutchfield.
Rgarc is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 27,703
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
The Denon x1400 and x1500 only have a single HDMI out while those two Onkyos have dual HDMI out. Make sure that is okay for your setup.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Clipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Beyond the dual hdmi anything else?

I can get pretty much all within like 50$ of each other
Clipse is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 307
The onkyo 686 also has more analog inputs that the either of the Denon choices if you need any of those. The Onkyo has a better DAC than the Denons as well. Both Denon have or will have Airplay 2 compatibility while the Onkyo is limited to Airplay if Apple compatibility is a factor for you. Watts-wise the difference is minimal.
Rgarc is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
The onkyo 686 also has more analog inputs that the either of the Denon choices if you need any of those. The Onkyo has a better DAC than the Denons as well. Both Denon have or will have Airplay 2 compatibility while the Onkyo is limited to Airplay if Apple compatibility is a factor for you. Watts-wise the difference is minimal.
I believe those listed Denons use exactly the same DAC as the Onkyos, the Asahi Kasei AK4458. Maybe @jdsmoothie could corroborate that.
audionewb2 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Clipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewb2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
The onkyo 686 also has more analog inputs that the either of the Denon choices if you need any of those. The Onkyo has a better DAC than the Denons as well. Both Denon have or will have Airplay 2 compatibility while the Onkyo is limited to Airplay if Apple compatibility is a factor for you. Watts-wise the difference is minimal.
I believe those listed Denons use exactly the same DAC as the Onkyos, the Asahi Kasei AK4458. Maybe @jdsmoothie could corroborate that.

Looks like both use same dac. The extra hdmi is a bonus. I'm just freaked out by all the onkyo hdmi issues and other stuff with onkyo but the denon seem to have its share of issues too
Clipse is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I may be wrong but Denon does indicate that the 1500's DAC is 192 kHz/32 Bit (1400 is 24 bit); while the Onkyo 686 boasts a 384 kHz/32-bit DAC. Was not able to find information as to which specific DAC model is being used in either case.
Rgarc is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
RKSKYDANCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
Looks like both use same dac. The extra hdmi is a bonus. I'm just freaked out by all the onkyo hdmi issues and other stuff with onkyo but the denon seem to have its share of issues too
The Onkyo's have better DAC's then the Denon and as for the HDMI issues, that was a thing of the past. This is not a problem on current models so no need to be concerned with that.
Any brand receiver can have issues. Just stick with brand new (not refurbished) and buy from a authorized dealer like Crutchfield, Safe & sound inc, Frys, Best Buy or World wide stereo for good support.

I would go with the Onkyo TX-NR686 over the Denon's if it were me. Also look at the Sony STR-DN1080. On sale at crutchfield and has been choosen as one of the best budget AVR's for 2018.

Good luck with what ever you choose!

(Living Room) Sony XBR-65X900E 4K TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD player, Pioneer SC-LX502, Def Tech BP9020's, A90 atmos, CS-9040 C and Di 5.5R surrounds

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
RKSKYDANCER is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-21-2019, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Clipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
[QUOTE=RKSKYDANCER;57633564]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
Looks The Onkyo's have better DAC's then the Denon and as for the HDMI issues, that was a thing of the past. This is not a problem on current models so no need to be concerned with that.
Any brand receiver can have issues. Just stick with brand new (not refurbished) and buy from a authorized dealer like Crutchfield, Safe & sound inc, Frys, Best Buy or World wide stereo for good support.

I would go with the Onkyo TX-NR686 over the Denon's if it were me. Also look at the Sony STR-DN1080. On sale at crutchfield and has been choosen as one of the best budget AVR's for 2018.

Good luck with what ever you choose!
I came across an open box x2400h in retail store for same price as the 686. Where does thst fall into the scheme of things
Clipse is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
RKSKYDANCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 151
[quote=Clipse;57638666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post

I came across an open box x2400h in retail store for same price as the 686. Where does thst fall into the scheme of things
I would still take the Onkyo 686 over the Denon X2400x even if it was new! I wouldn't be interested in open box just like i would not buy a refurb unit.

I had a new Denon AVR-X3400h. Had it for about 9 months. Decent receiver but not impressive for my living room set up. My brother tried 2 refurb Denon's from A4less. Both were terrible units.

I own a Pioneer SC-LX502 now and it's very impressive. Onkyo makes Pioneer so there are many similarities. I was looking at the Onkyo TX-NR787 or TX-RZ730 before finding the deal i got on the Pioneer Elite.

It's really going to come down to what features you want. Do a comparison thru crutchfield on the models you like. Denon's are good receivers. i just think for $500.00 or less the Onkyo's are a better value.

(Living Room) Sony XBR-65X900E 4K TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD player, Pioneer SC-LX502, Def Tech BP9020's, A90 atmos, CS-9040 C and Di 5.5R surrounds

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
RKSKYDANCER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off