Will adding an amp/changing receiver do more for me than upgrading speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By zorax2
  • 1 Post By zorax2
  • 1 Post By dschlic1

post #1 of 23 Old 02-22-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Will adding an amp/changing receiver do more for me than upgrading speakers?

So I started a discussion recently because I felt that there was something to be desired in my setup, particularly in the center channel. I'll mention it is 100% for movies/streaming now and that got me thinking of upgrading to a 3-way center speaker, which unfortunately Focal doesn't have one in a price range I can do. Lastly, I came to the decision that if I upgrade the center to a different brand, I would also change out my front L+R with matching bookshelves of whatever speaker company I decided to go with.

Now a couple of replies in the discussion pointed at my current receiver being a "weak link", and "underpowered/inadequate" for my speaker setup (can be seen in signature), and that my current speakers aren't being run to their full potential, and I may not have "really heard" what they have to offer.

This is my first 4K receiver, before that I had an older Pioneer Elite SC-05, but I thought that these were pretty easy speakers to drive, and that both AVR's I've had definitely had enough power to run them just fine. Have I been wrong this whole time, or is this possibly just some opinions that might not be completely accurate for my current situation?

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / SVS PB12-NSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01gt View Post
So I started a discussion recently because I felt that there was something to be desired in my setup, particularly in the center channel. I'll mention it is 100% for movies/streaming now and that got me thinking of upgrading to a 3-way center speaker, which unfortunately Focal doesn't have one in a price range I can do. Lastly, I came to the decision that if I upgrade the center to a different brand, I would also change out my front L+R with matching bookshelves of whatever speaker company I decided to go with.

Now a couple of replies in the discussion pointed at my current receiver being a "weak link", and "underpowered/inadequate" for my speaker setup (can be seen in signature), and that my current speakers aren't being run to their full potential, and I may not have "really heard" what they have to offer.

This is my first 4K receiver, before that I had an older Pioneer Elite SC-05, but I thought that these were pretty easy speakers to drive, and that both AVR's I've had definitely had enough power to run them just fine. Have I been wrong this whole time, or is this possibly just some opinions that might not be completely accurate for my current situation?

I switch from a Denon 4520 to NAD T758v3 with Dirac Live. Dirac made my KEF LS50 shine like never before... Your Onkyo is definitely holding your speakers back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 Old 02-22-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 2591
You don't say which model of Focal speakers you have, but your AVR seems pretty capable. I'll assume that you have made an effort to set up and calibrate your system, but that you haven't tried:
- repositioning your center speaker (moving it forward, aiming it more correctly at your ears at the MLP); and/or
- bumping up the level (post-cal) of the center speaker in your AVR's speaker set-up menu.

If you have tried these things and are still unsatisfied, a new Denon or Marantz AVR (w/ Audyssey MultEQ XT32) may allow you to continue enjoying your existing speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-22-2019, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Unless you are listening at very high levels, at least -10dB or higher depending on content, your receiver likely isn't having any trouble driving your speakers. My speakers have similar sensitivity and also drop to 4 ohms. I purchased amps only because it would save me money down the road from purchasing higher end AVRs that would have enough amps to drive my 7.1.4 system at relatively high volume levels (and I had occasionally had my AVR shut down at very high volumes as it could no longer properly amplify all these speaker simultaneously).

As previously mentioned, speaker positioning may help. The various brands of sound correction, like Audyssey and similar, may also help to improve the sound.

In most cases, given average listening levels, your upgrade money is much better spent on speakers vs. amps. Most people typically have their speakers a long time and even a low power tube amp will drive most speakers fine at normal listening levels. Many people here on AVS would also proffer that room acoustic treatments will also give you incredible bank for the buck and make a very impactful difference in audio quality. I'm now in the camp as well with a small, well treated room where we can comfortably watch many movies at -5 dB without ear fatigue or other issues as the sound is so good.
GIEGAR and DAB like this.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #5 of 23 Old 02-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

You've got a pretty good speaker setup. And the RZ820 is a good receiver with a lot of power. And for an avr, a decent power supply imo. Why do you think your center is holding you back? Are you sure it couldn't be a setup issue? I do believe an amp could improve your system but I'm doubting that your receiver is "inadequate."

Marantz SR5012 / Yamaha CD-S300 / XBOX One X / Sony UBX700
Dali Zensor 1 / Martin Logan Dynamo 300 / HiFiMan HE400i Headphones
post #6 of 23 Old 02-22-2019, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
You don't say which model of Focal speakers you have, but your AVR seems pretty capable. I'll assume that you have made an effort to set up and calibrate your system, but that you haven't tried:
- repositioning your center speaker (moving it forward, aiming it more correctly at your ears at the MLP); and/or
- bumping up the level (post-cal) of the center speaker in your AVR's speaker set-up menu.

If you have tried these things and are still unsatisfied, a new Denon or Marantz AVR (w/ Audyssey MultEQ XT32) may allow you to continue enjoying your existing speakers.

I mentioned the speaker setup was in my signature - Focal Chorus 807V + CC 800V for the front LCR. I have the center bumped up +1.0 db post-calibration, and have done a lot of messing around with setup options and calibrations over the past 4-6 weeks for the front sound stage overall, but that's mostly to do with trying to dial in the 2 up-firing atmos speakers that I added in.

P.S. Eljay, I've definitely clicked on your sig and looked at your setup pics before randomly from another post/thread, I always enjoy seeing those nice dedicated theater rooms, yours being no exception. Really like the look of it. I would say being a home theater enthusiast, that's definitely my number one downside of being in a condo rather than a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
Unless you are listening at very high levels, at least -10dB or higher depending on content, your receiver likely isn't having any trouble driving your speakers. My speakers have similar sensitivity and also drop to 4 ohms. I purchased amps only because it would save me money down the road from purchasing higher end AVRs that would have enough amps to drive my 7.1.4 system at relatively high volume levels (and I had occasionally had my AVR shut down at very high volumes as it could no longer properly amplify all these speaker simultaneously).

As previously mentioned, speaker positioning may help. The various brands of sound correction, like Audyssey and similar, may also help to improve the sound.

In most cases, given average listening levels, your upgrade money is much better spent on speakers vs. amps. Most people typically have their speakers a long time and even a low power tube amp will drive most speakers fine at normal listening levels. Many people here on AVS would also proffer that room acoustic treatments will also give you incredible bank for the buck and make a very impactful difference in audio quality. I'm now in the camp as well with a small, well treated room where we can comfortably watch many movies at -5 dB without ear fatigue or other issues as the sound is so good.

This was my thinking as well, I do not push the volume hard at all due to being in a condo (not that I wouldn't like to). Anywhere from -20 to -26 is the norm, and I keep the sub level fairly mild at ~35-40% gain.
As for the room acoustic treatment point, I agree and would absolutely add some solutions if I knew what to look for in terms of something that is suitable for a living room (again it being a condo setup). It's an open floor plan, so the far side opens out to the kitchen, I could provide a picture if it might help for some suggestions, but that may not be for this section of the forums.

5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / SVS PB12-NSD

Last edited by sb01gt; 02-22-2019 at 05:06 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-22-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
You've got a pretty good speaker setup. And the RZ820 is a good receiver with a lot of power. And for an avr, a decent power supply imo. Why do you think your center is holding you back? Are you sure it couldn't be a setup issue? I do believe an amp could improve your system but I'm doubting that your receiver is "inadequate."

I did do a bunch of research on all the different brands and models of receivers before choosing one after going to 4K, I agree and thought this one had plenty of power for what I needed it for, and got it for a steal at blowout pricing since it's the previous years model.

I guess I would say that I feel like the center could be more clear, or more full sounding. I'm just not getting that nice theater feeling with the dialogue during movies. Maybe it's getting overpowered by the fronts or something... I'm not sure.

post #8 of 23 Old 02-22-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01gt
I mentioned the speaker setup was in my signature - Focal Chorus 807V + CC 800V for the front LCR. ...
Apologies - I missed that.

Quote:
... I have the center bumped up +1.0 db post-calibration, and have done a lot of messing around with setup options and calibrations over the past 4-6 weeks for the front sound stage overall ...
I wish I knew what else to suggest. Once again, apologies.

Quote:
... P.S. Eljay, I've definitely clicked on your sig and looked at your setup pics before randomly from another post/thread, I always enjoy seeing those nice dedicated theater rooms, yours being no exception. Really like the look of it. ...
Thank you. Much appreciated.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-23-2019, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This was my thinking as well, I do not push the volume hard at all due to being in a condo (not that I wouldn't like to). Anywhere from -20 to -26 is the norm, and I keep the sub level fairly mild at ~35-40% gain.
As for the room acoustic treatment point, I agree and would absolutely add some solutions if I knew what to look for in terms of something that is suitable for a living room (again it being a condo setup). It's an open floor plan, so the far side opens out to the kitchen, I could provide a picture if it might help for some suggestions, but that may not be for this section of the forums.

The best place to start is calling / emailing GIK Acoustics to get some ideas as to what acoustic treatments might be most helpful for your room - sending them a room diagram will be most helpful. There are a tremendous amount of options for fabrics and even custom printed acoustic fabric to go with your decor. If you use a regular, non-custom printed fabric, I encourage you to use a Gilberts of Main (GOM) fabric. GOM has a huge array of acoustic fabric in their catalog. If you use GOM fabrics, you can always match as you add more treatments. For example, I originally ordered a lot of treatments from GIK and paid the upcharge for the GOM fabric (which wasn't much extra). Later, I made custom DIY panels using GOM fabric and Owens Corning 504 for my custom panels which match perfectly.

I'm not familiar with your AVR but I know most of the Denons have Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ and one other feature (I think) that helps to correct what you are describing. Check your settings to see if there is a similar feature and try it out to see if it helps.
Bill-99 likes this.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #10 of 23 Old 02-26-2019, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

So today I talked to the guy at the audio store I was looking at speakers for, and he still suggests that adding an external power amp would make a big difference. I'm wondering what might be a decently affordable 3-channel amp if I wanted to try one out?

post #11 of 23 Old 02-26-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd check out the Emotiva UPA-500 (located in Surrey) on canuckaudiomart.com.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-26-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
So today I talked to the guy at the audio store I was looking at speakers for, and he still suggests that adding an external power amp would make a big difference. I'm wondering what might be a decently affordable 3-channel amp if I wanted to try one out?
If your interested, I have a Rotel RB1572 (2×250w Class D) and RMB1585 (5x200w Class AB) thst im going to be listing shortly if interested.

LG OLED65B7P.
Denon X8500H
OPPO 203 4K
Paradigm Prestige 95F, 55C, 25S and Prestige 1000SW.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-26-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 498
A couple of thoughts...

In general, the three most important contributors to sound quality are the source material, the speakers, and the room. Until you deal with all of these, moving forward gets tricky. BTW that means deploying some room acoustic treatment as needed. GIK Acoustics is who I used and they are very good IMO.

If you believe you have those aspects nailed down, take a look at the dolby labs recommendations on speaker position. This can be a big deal.

After that, experiment with your room correction software. Check out the thread for your AVR, look at what others are doing, and ask questions. If you haven't done RC more than a couple of times, it's pretty likely that there are ways to get more out of your gear.

Re: getting your center channel more clear, dialog clarity is a challenge. Some source material is awful -- muddy dialog from start to finish. But here are a couple of things that affect it.
- Be sure the center channel is aimed at ear level in the main listening position.
- Acoustic treatment can improve dialog clarity.
- Effective use of room correction software can improve dialog clarity.

For lesser audio, it's still sometimes necessary to increase the center channel level, tweak the treble, or both. DVDs and blu rays can be awful. 4k Ultra HD blu ray via lossless audio can be exceptionally good. Streaming can be amazingly bad. It's all over the map. SOTA these days seems to mean you will often need to tweak based on the specific content being played.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-26-2019, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A new amp will not help you at the volumes you listen at - it would be a waste of money in my opinion. Only benefit is more $$$ for the salesperson. Ask that salesperson how 1 watt from the AVR is going to sound different from 1 watt on the amplifier. Your speakers do not take much power at the volumes you listen at and a subwoofer does most of the work where the power is needed.

Best to follow @Bill-99 's advice (and my similar advice) - speakers, sound correction and acoustic treatment are the first things to figure out for best audio quality.

post #15 of 23 Old 02-26-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 360
First thing I would recommend is making sure to turn off any "Dynamic" settings in your AVR, like Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, etc. I have a Denon and found that was very helpful in providing better sounding dialog. Secondly, I would recommend you ensure your crossovers are set properly (typically 80 Hz for all of your speakers) and that LFE is only going to the subwoofer. That should give you the most overhead possible to drive your speakers. If that doesn't do the trick, and you've already bumped the center level up +1db, you should probably consider looking at a different center channel. I have a 3 way center and it works very well (Polk LSiM 704c), but there are many other very good center channel speakers to choose from. I also did add an amp to my system (Outlaw Model 5000) and I would say the center plays good at loud volumes without straining, whereas before adding the amp it did sound like the center may have been a bit underpowered, but that might just be because the 8ohm speakers I have are not high sensitivity, so as others recommended, the amp would probably be your last stop.
post #16 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Per m0j0's comment I would ensure that your receiver has not for some reason placed an unnecessarily high crossover point to your center channel speaker first. This could be contributing to the issue. Also I would look at the specs for the speaker and if the receiver allows (most current ones do) take the crossover of your center channel down to where it starts to drop off. Your center has a -3 of 57 Hz so set it at 60 Hz for the test. Bear in mind this may create a potential issue with the blending of your front three and sub etc. (It also may sound awesome) but it would allow you to experiment with your issue first.

Based on your actual componentry I really don't think you need to start swapping out components. Adding an amp really will not make the difference you are seeking as you may have more power available but you will not notice any difference in your listening levels. Understand at your average listening levels your current receiver is coasting now. If you add an amp you will still be listening at the same average volume so no gains would be received there.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

If it sounds and looks good, it sounds and looks good!!
post #17 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From what you describe, separate amps will not make a considerable difference unless your system is struggling for volume/power.

Previous to my current avr with five powerful channels, I had a five channel preamp receiver setup (no hdmi etc)with separate amps as at the time they were not high power av receivers around. When I upgraded to my current denon 3311, I initially just set it up running off the denon outputs and thought hell, it sounds fine, external amps just adding to the electricity bill. It’s only now that I have switched to some very low efficiency 3 ohm speakers that I’ve gone back to running external amps as although the denon would drive them, it would run very hot, caution saying this could end the life of the amp fairly quickly.

In regards to centre speakers. If you are the only listener or/ and another is centrally located then, if you have quality front speakers then they should do a better job of proving a central voice than any of the manufactured centre speakers. One reason being that the voice can appear that it is coming from the middle of the screen, which unless you have a speaker behind a cloth screen using a projector, can’t be achieved with a television and a centre speaker which goes above or below your screen.....well you could run two centre speakers above and below or left and right of the screen.

I too had been conned into purchasing a centre speaker and paid quite a lot of money for one thinking it somehow did magic for the centre channel. Found that one of my old quality bookshelf speakers sounded heaps better there, but only use it if there are other viewers in the room who are off axis.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
I'd check out the Emotiva UPA-500 (located in Surrey) on canuckaudiomart.com.

I have been looking on CAM recently, couldn't find this item with the search feature. Maybe it's sold already, but if you're able to see it could you PM me the link? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
A couple of thoughts...

In general, the three most important contributors to sound quality are the source material, the speakers, and the room. Until you deal with all of these, moving forward gets tricky. BTW that means deploying some room acoustic treatment as needed. GIK Acoustics is who I used and they are very good IMO.

If you believe you have those aspects nailed down, take a look at the dolby labs recommendations on speaker position. This can be a big deal.

After that, experiment with your room correction software. Check out the thread for your AVR, look at what others are doing, and ask questions. If you haven't done RC more than a couple of times, it's pretty likely that there are ways to get more out of your gear.

Re: getting your center channel more clear, dialog clarity is a challenge. Some source material is awful -- muddy dialog from start to finish. But here are a couple of things that affect it.
- Be sure the center channel is aimed at ear level in the main listening position.
- Acoustic treatment can improve dialog clarity.
- Effective use of room correction software can improve dialog clarity.

For lesser audio, it's still sometimes necessary to increase the center channel level, tweak the treble, or both. DVDs and blu rays can be awful. 4k Ultra HD blu ray via lossless audio can be exceptionally good. Streaming can be amazingly bad. It's all over the map. SOTA these days seems to mean you will often need to tweak based on the specific content being played.

As per the suggestions here, I am definitely going to contact GIK and maybe put up a post in the 'audio theory/setup/chat' part of the forum where I can provide pics and measurements of the room to figure out a good combination of both what will work well and look decent with my situation of it also being the main living room area.

For speaker placement, I feel like it's pretty optimal overall, obviously a few sacrifices have to be made because it's the living room (ie: sub placement, how wide front speakers can go). For AVR settings, corrections, etc. I have gone through AccuEQ multiple times, set the crossovers, tested a bunch of the other menu options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
A new amp will not help you at the volumes you listen at - it would be a waste of money in my opinion. Only benefit is more $$$ for the salesperson. Ask that salesperson how 1 watt from the AVR is going to sound different from 1 watt on the amplifier. Your speakers do not take much power at the volumes you listen at and a subwoofer does most of the work where the power is needed.

Best to follow @Bill-99 's advice (and my similar advice) - speakers, sound correction and acoustic treatment are the first things to figure out for best audio quality.

I tend to agree. Maybe when people think of home theater setups, they just base suggestions off listening to movies at 0 on your AVR in large dedicated rooms, maybe they want to make a sale, who knows... either way, I am going to attack things in the order you mention. If I go listen to some speakers that I feel sound better and closer to what I want at the store, and they're also connected by just an AVR - then the same notion of "it will sound better with an external amp" will be true for them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
First thing I would recommend is making sure to turn off any "Dynamic" settings in your AVR, like Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, etc. I have a Denon and found that was very helpful in providing better sounding dialog. Secondly, I would recommend you ensure your crossovers are set properly (typically 80 Hz for all of your speakers) and that LFE is only going to the subwoofer. That should give you the most overhead possible to drive your speakers. If that doesn't do the trick, and you've already bumped the center level up +1db, you should probably consider looking at a different center channel. I have a 3 way center and it works very well (Polk LSiM 704c), but there are many other very good center channel speakers to choose from. I also did add an amp to my system (Outlaw Model 5000) and I would say the center plays good at loud volumes without straining, whereas before adding the amp it did sound like the center may have been a bit underpowered, but that might just be because the 8ohm speakers I have are not high sensitivity, so as others recommended, the amp would probably be your last stop.

Couldn't see anything that's described as "dynamic" in the Onkyo settings, and have all the proper crossovers set. The list I have so far for speaker brands that have decent looking center channels and matching bookshelves are KEF, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, and MartinLogan. I am not able to listen to the ML's in person, but they were the ones recommended to me over the others. They happen to be on sale as well currently, and are priced at just over $2k CND for the 35XT + 50XT combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebird View Post
Per m0j0's comment I would ensure that your receiver has not for some reason placed an unnecessarily high crossover point to your center channel speaker first. This could be contributing to the issue. Also I would look at the specs for the speaker and if the receiver allows (most current ones do) take the crossover of your center channel down to where it starts to drop off. Your center has a -3 of 57 Hz so set it at 60 Hz for the test. Bear in mind this may create a potential issue with the blending of your front three and sub etc. (It also may sound awesome) but it would allow you to experiment with your issue first.

Based on your actual componentry I really don't think you need to start swapping out components. Adding an amp really will not make the difference you are seeking as you may have more power available but you will not notice any difference in your listening levels. Understand at your average listening levels your current receiver is coasting now. If you add an amp you will still be listening at the same average volume so no gains would be received there.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Thanks for all the replies from everybody. I feel like I am on the right path, and that my personal thoughts on the situation are in line with a lot of you guys here. Hopefully I can make some good choices and find a nice improvement.

post #19 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 498
^A couple of additional thoughts...

There are lots of useful suggestions here and much of it is low cost or free. Some of these may seem like very small gains when done but the cumulative impact of lots of small changes can be very significant. That can make any small gain a win.

For some people, home theater systems are a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing. For others, it's a journey. I've been in both camps but these days I live in the latter. It's more work, of course, but this is a hobby so time invested is all good. And the results have dramatically exceeded my expectations, especially c/o people here at AVS Forum. 80% of my results I directly attribute to ideas, suggestions and experience of people here. Lots of smart people here willing and able to help.

(Another thank you to those people. A virtual beer to all of you. )

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
I have been looking on CAM recently, couldn't find this item with the search feature. Maybe it's sold already, but if you're able to see it could you PM me the link? Thanks.

As per the suggestions here, I am definitely going to contact GIK and maybe put up a post in the 'audio theory/setup/chat' part of the forum where I can provide pics and measurements of the room to figure out a good combination of both what will work well and look decent with my situation of it also being the main living room area.

For speaker placement, I feel like it's pretty optimal overall, obviously a few sacrifices have to be made because it's the living room (ie: sub placement, how wide front speakers can go). For AVR settings, corrections, etc. I have gone through AccuEQ multiple times, set the crossovers, tested a bunch of the other menu options.

I tend to agree. Maybe when people think of home theater setups, they just base suggestions off listening to movies at 0 on your AVR in large dedicated rooms, maybe they want to make a sale, who knows... either way, I am going to attack things in the order you mention. If I go listen to some speakers that I feel sound better and closer to what I want at the store, and they're also connected by just an AVR - then the same notion of "it will sound better with an external amp" will be true for them as well.

Couldn't see anything that's described as "dynamic" in the Onkyo settings, and have all the proper crossovers set. The list I have so far for speaker brands that have decent looking center channels and matching bookshelves are KEF, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, and MartinLogan. I am not able to listen to the ML's in person, but they were the ones recommended to me over the others. They happen to be on sale as well currently, and are priced at just over $2k CND for the 35XT + 50XT combo.

Thanks for all the replies from everybody. I feel like I am on the right path, and that my personal thoughts on the situation are in line with a lot of you guys here. Hopefully I can make some good choices and find a nice improvement.

Ok, I think I read somewhere that Onkyo dropped Audyssey EQ from some products, so must be the case with your AVR.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Ok, I think I read somewhere that Onkyo dropped Audyssey EQ from some products, so must be the case with your AVR.

Correct. They replaced it with their own calibration called AccuEq, the Audyssey EQ system is in Denon/Marantz now, with different variations based on the specific models. XT32 starts at the Denon x3500h and higher, compared to the lesser Audyssey variants in the lower lines.

post #22 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Another thing to try is to boost the center channel more that 1 dB. 1 dB is the lowest audible increase. Maybe try +3 dB. I know on my system, with many movies, the dialog is too low. I solve that by cranking up the volume. That may not be a solution in a condo.
Bill-99 likes this.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Marantz SR7012 AV receiver, Sony UBP-X700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #23 of 23 Old 02-27-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
Another thing to try is to boost the center channel more that 1 dB. 1 dB is the lowest audible increase. Maybe try +3 dB. I know on my system, with many movies, the dialog is too low. I solve that by cranking up the volume. That may not be a solution in a condo.

I will try the +3db suggestion, along with Wafflebird's suggestion of putting the crossover down to 60Hz to see if it provides a noticeable change. You are correct about cranking the volume not being the solution in a condo I do almost all my movie watching in the afternoons so that if it is loud, it's the least likely to disturb the people under me. I'm top floor corner so the only other neighbour is on the side, but it has my bedroom in between as a buffer from the listening area to their connected wall. The main problem with cranking the volume I find is the sub though, it's probably a bit on the large side for a condo, and keeping it well balanced with the rest of the system results in a lot of shaking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page