Do You Have a Dedicated Home Theater? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do you have a dedicated home theater
No 172 28.34%
Yes 373 61.45%
I used to have one 15 2.47%
I plan to build one 47 7.74%
Voters: 607. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 191Likes

post #61 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post
Sounds great Dave-T. I'm looking to improve my condo light control. I have blinds that are supposed to block but light bleeds through at certain times of day. Would like suggestions and range of sticker shock to anticipate with a window application like yours. Also, the exterior of the blinds facing out must be white or off-white (condo rules).

If off topic, please PM. Also, solving the unique challenge of home theater in condos may be a good thread topic.

my Windows are huge 50" by 79" so the window treatments are $2500 a piece. I have 5 of them in my condo a small one in the kitchen and a black out lumenette on the sliding glass door in the livingrrom as well. unfortunately Hunter Douglas no longer makes the Silhoutte A Deux. What can do is get a Hunter Douglass Powerview Black out Honeycomb blind with a "U" channel on each side of your window so the blind is encased. My Mother-in-law has that and is much less expensive than what I have and completely blocks out the light with zero side leakage of light. just about any blackout with a U channel installed will block out the light completely if installed right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yes....I also have a dedicated theater. There is nothing like it....and we enjoy it very much! And I love looking at all of the members pics....so keep posting them! And here are a few of my own......

Click image for larger version

Name:	131401.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	2541266

Name:	126189.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	2541268

Name:	137757.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	2541270
henrich3, J_P_A, DavidK442 and 1 others like this.

My Gear: Sony VPL-VW385es 4K projector
Elite Lunette 115" 2.35.1 Curved screen
Denon S930H Dolby Atmos/Vision Receiver
Klipsch RB-61 II Home Theater 7.1 System
Sony Ultra HD X700 Blu-ray player
post #63 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I will have a dedicated theater room and it's currently about 75% complete. Door and trim will go in sometime next week. It will be a 7.1.4 system with 150" screen.
Zoland2020 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Like your theme @hotrodguy.
post #65 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Nice @kurtis21, I bet that popcorn smells great . I have one about 1/3 of that size, and enjoy that popcorn in the theater moment when we watch flicks.
kurtis21 likes this.
post #66 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the best of both worlds. I have a room that in its purest form would not be called a dedicated home theater room but was designed from the ground up for home theater. It is a Marantz 7.2 system with a 65" Samsung UHD. All things done in the room were focused on home theater even though it is a "family" room. Al the gear is in a dedicated, purpose built space under the stairs with cooling and ventilation. I also have light lighting control sound deadening in the walls and ceiling. Considering what I was able to spend on it I find it very enjoying not only to watch movies but also regular TV.

When I prefer a little more intimate setting I have a set up that grew beyond my original intentions in my office. It is another Marantz system but it only driving L-C-R fronts and a small sub to a 55" Samsung HD. I am considering adding the sides and rears but... Being in a smaller room with my recliner at an optimum distance it is a very immersive system. I thoroughly enjoy watching on that system too. It even handles movies well and elicits wrath from my wife to "Turn it down!" from time to time. That makes me smile!

post #67 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4718 Post(s)
Liked: 3500
Interesting poll results. Clearly some have taken some "liberty" in voting "yes" given the stated criteria, but the numbers are still fascinating.

And FWIW, the very large dealer I work with is doing relatively fewer what they and I call a "true dedicated theater" (single purpose room, projector/not TV, etc) and more multi-purposes projects (TV's everywhere, and maybe one room with some kind of surround system, whole house automation, etc). It's not that they don't do dedicated spaces, but the number of multi-purpose spaces they do has greatly increased.

I think the next poll (screen size) could be even more telling. Once you include a projector and screen (vs a flat panel at least until panels get a bit larger) you are closer to the more traditional definition of a dedicated theater. I also recognize that a drop down screen in a multi-purpose room still occurs.

The number I would love to know is out of the approximate 127 million households in the US, how many have true dedicated, single purpose theaters. My best guess: well under 50,000. If we knew how many PJ have been sold, that would get us close.
sdrucker, tigerhonaker and J_P_A like this.
post #68 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
While watching movies on a TV in the living room can be fun, it’s a bit of a stretch to call TV and a soundbar a “home theater.” In order to have a truly cinematic experience at home, you need to replicate certain aspects of commercial movie theaters. In other words, you need a dedicated home theater!

Unlike a living room or even an AV room with an asymmetrical layout, a dedicated home theater takes viewing angles and distances into consideration, plus acoustics, and puts the viewer in the optimal position to enjoy the content. And crucially, a dedicated home theater offers complete control over lighting. ideally, not only can you make it completely dark, but in front projection installations it is also advantageous to paint the theater and dark tones that absorb light instead of reflecting it back to the screen.

Of course, the other important ingredient in a true home theater is sound. You can't have a big picture without audio to match. A dedicated home theater offers an opportunity to optimize a multichannel surround system so that the audience feels enveloped. A dedicated home theater offers the opportunity to place speakers in optimal positions. And for the most serious cinematic purists, there is nothing quite like an acoustically transparent screen that puts center channel dialogue where it belongs.

In this poll, for the sake of argument, a living room that is convertible to a home theater (optimized seating, full light control, a suitably large screen, and a properly configured surround system) is technically "home theater" but it does not automatically count as a dedicated home theater. I'm looking for people who dedicated a room. But... if that truly is what you do with your living room, and it meets all the other qualifications, then you can in good conscience vote "yes." But... it has to be that (basically) you dedicated your living room to be a home theater.

Anyhow, the simple question is this: Do you have a dedicated home theater?
Yes, it has been my hobby (I am NOT a pro installer) since my first dedicated theater in 1997 (with a Runco CRT beast)! Since then, I have designed and had installed dedicated theaters in my past six homes. (One design won 2nd place in CEDIA's national home theater competition.) As a musician who also views a large collection of blu-ray concerts, my sound budget is equal to the video budget. My newest 14 x 23' windowless home/theater completed last month includes a:
• JVC RS-2000 projecting to a 120" ambient light rejecting Dragonfly screen
• An Oppo 103, 203 and PS3
• Marantz 8805 supplying
• two 500 watt amps (Integra and Outlaw) feeding a 13.2 audio system including
• five Dynaudio mains and 8 James surrounds / back / ceiling speakers and two Sunfire subs.

I have experimented extensively through the years with acoustics including in wall and/or blown insulation, wall and ceiling panels and corner bass traps and have concluded that it's best to add treatments only after the room is up and running and one can analyze the reflections. (My current room has a full ceiling absorption panel, two 4 x 8' "first reflection" absorption panels, two floor-to-ceiling corner bass traps in front and one 5 x 5' dispersion panel in the rear between the two back wall speakers. Finally, having experienced unacceptable bass nulls and some booming in previous rooms with seating platforms filled with only batt insulation, I decided to fill my current platform with a truckload of sand and boy did that help eliminate any bass issues!
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #69 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
I do not have a dedicated home theater, but I'm quite happy with the "compromise" home theater I do have.
post #70 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaros View Post
YI decided to fill my current platform with a truckload of sand and boy did that help eliminate any bass issues!
I assume that was in a basement and not a second floor. Another way you could have chosen to deal with the bass issue you had would have been to turn the platform into a huge bass trap - which if I ever chose to add a 2nd row I would be required to do. I would not want to fill a riser (on our 2nd floor) with sand.
post #71 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Yep. We added a basement to our new home build for the sole purpose of having a space for a dedicated room. It doesn't get used as much as I expected (no time for video games, anymore), but the family and I enjoy having a movie night from time-to-time.

One of these days I'll finish the trim and speaker covers. Maybe add some decorations to liven things up. I suppose I've put that off for so long because I quickly realized that the room disappears when the movie starts!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ATMOS_WTrim.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	561.1 KB
ID:	2541286  

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #72 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Thumbs up

Anyhow, the simple question is this:

Do you have a dedicated home theater?

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Mark,

I do and if you or anyone is interested simply Click on the Link in my Signature below.
I have been into a Single-Purpose H/T for way over 20-years.
As the years have rolled by it has constantly been Up-Graded.
Last Major Up-Dates were a few months ago.

Terry

Sorry guys forgot to mention the following,
Next Up-Date will be ATMOS !!!

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-19-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Forgot some information as usual .............
post #73 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Dedicated room - Yes
Sound - 9.1.6 with all the speakers in the optimum locations.
Display - 65" OLED.
Seating - Dedicated single row of two seats at 1/3rd from the rear wall.
Sound treatments - 2' x 1' soffit bass trap around the circumference of the room where the walls meet the ceiling.

Link to the room in my signature.
talldrink67 likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #74 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Mine is a 9.4.4 Has heights. But it could be the same because i also have in ceiling speakers. I have a BenQ 2550 4K projector with a 80 in 1080p 3D tv on the wall the screen comes down in front of it.

Chemist
post #75 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Although the setup I have, some may not consider a home theater (no stadium seating, acoustics of the room are probably not perfect for a home theater), I like to consider it my own dedicated home theater as I have a 65" LG Curved OLED, Denon 11 channel receiver, Oppo UDP-203 4K player, Apple TV 4K, a 7.1.4 amazing soundsystem (a mix of brands which i know some will cry foul on but none the less I love it - Martin Logan for Center, Sub and Electrostatic Towers, Def Tech satellites for 4 surrounds, and Speakercraft for my in-ceiling height speakers). I can mostly control the light as I have a blackout curtain that blocks most of the outside light, and multiple philips hue lights behind and above the tv to dim/light the setup. It also serves its purpose as a gaming center with a PS4 PRO, Xbox One X, Switch, and a gaming PC.

While one day I would love to build a home theater room from scratch with no exterior light and stadium style seating, the set-up i have in my downstairs "man-cave" is closer than the majority of the population in my guess to a dedicated home-theater. But after seeing some of the pictures of other folks home theaters, plenty put mine to shame! If anyone is curious of pics of mine, shoot me a message.
J_P_A likes this.

Last edited by talldrink67; 03-19-2019 at 01:25 PM.
post #76 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 127
My 5.2 system with a plasma screen is in my family room as there is no good location in the house for a dedicated home theater, but what I have now is a big step up from what I used to have in my old townhouse.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #77 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been going on now 15 years since I've had my dedicated room. The current iteration is equipped with a 1080p 3 LCD projector throwing to a framed 110" passive screen mounted solid to the wall. Old school 7.1 sound running through Old school Definitive Tech powered sub mains and center with matching surrounds. Video and sound is switched through a Denon 3806 ( Old-school again ) and power is fed through a big ( cheaply sourced ) Monster power conditioner.

Home-made sound panels and bass trap round out the room and we have a single leather sofa with it's electric recline function for comfort.

The room is used for movie nights with the kids/family and gaming nights ( first person shooters and racing games ). There are no windows in the room and with doors shut, it is completely dark. Lighting in the room is dimmable so we can control the light precisely.

-klb
post #78 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 484
I kinda have a dedicated home theater, at least as dedicated as you can get with an Apartment. So it serves two functions, home theater and bedroom but I certainly plan to build a completely dedicated home theater in my future.

Specs in my signature and yes I have very understanding neighbors lol
Zoland2020 likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR

Last edited by Daniel Chaves; 03-26-2019 at 08:24 AM.
post #79 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 805
I have a dedicated room (only wakes up for movies) and has been mildly redone a few times since we built quite a few years ago. It doesn't get a lot of use and I'm sure my tinker hours far exceed movie hours. As such I have installed a monitor in one of the shelves at the rear of the room which keeps the projector hours down. You can access the equipment from a set of doors in the bar area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06437.png
Views:	65
Size:	979.9 KB
ID:	2541494   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06439.png
Views:	59
Size:	960.3 KB
ID:	2541496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06443.png
Views:	53
Size:	1,014.0 KB
ID:	2541498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06450.png
Views:	47
Size:	947.1 KB
ID:	2541500  
DavidK442 likes this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #80 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Dedicated home theater in our basement -

Video:
Oppo UDP-205 -> Radiance Pro (4913 point calibration) -> JVC RS600 -> 135" diag EluneVision screen (material same as Da-Lite High Power 2.4)

Audio:
Oppo UDP-205 -> Denon AVR-5308a -> Paradigm Signature S8 speakers & Funk Audio subs

Fun stuff!
post #81 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Liked: 2211
Dedicated room: JVC RS440 (Chad B calibrated), Panasonic 820 UHD BD player, Stewart ST100 scope screen (9 ft wide), Denon X3000 for 6.2 set up (Chad B Audyssey Pro-cal'd and REW), MartinLogan 35XT for fronts, MartinLogan 4i for rears, dual Rythmik 12" subs (L12s).

Name:	screen2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	2541598
DavidK442 likes this.
post #82 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I answered "NO" as the room is a Texas sized game room that also has a pool table in it. My thought is that once the kids leave home I may make the last step and remove the pool table, add some sound proofing and then paint the entire room black rather than just the wall where the screen is. I will add a picture later when I return home or find one on my phone maybe. Still it is a big screen with a 4k projector and 7.2.4 system. See my tag line for the rest.

Sony 285es 4k , 16'6" from the screen. 142" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 A/T Screen. Yamaha RX-A3050, 7 Channel Outlaw Amp, 7.2.4 speaker layout. Triad Bronze L/C/R , Triad Silver Omni SE Surround(Sides), Triad Bipole Gold OnWall Rear, 4 Ceiling Silver Ticket Speakers. SVS PB2000 Subwoofer and a PB1000, Oppo. 203 player, XBox One X, Roku 4, Logitech remote, Alexa Controlled
post #83 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
146" Diagonal 2.0:1 screen

Good idea.

I answered yes to the poll, and have a 131" W X 65.5" H 146.46" Diagonal 2.0:1 multi-aspect ratio screen with an Epson 6500UB 1080p projector. 5.1 surround with Axiom M2i all the way around, and a single Rythmic L22 subwoofer. Walls are dark grey, ceiling is dark grey to two feet back from screen, and then dark maroon. I have maroon black out drapes, and blacked out windows. All in all we love it, it is the only place we view movies or TV in the house; also use it for gaming.

At my seating distance this size screen gives me a viewing angle of about 48 degrees, this matches the horizontal angle of view where we like to sit in a real theater. The horizontal angle of view is the thing that makes this feel like a true movie going experience at home. In my opinion, if you don't match the horizontal angle of view of where you sit in a real theater it won't feel like a movie at home, just a large picture.

Later,

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Yes and since 1992.

It wasn't part of your qualification list (and it shouldn't necessarily be) but a screen size on the order of something >99" really does make it "appear" more like a theater.

That said, another poll might be interesting: Same requirements that are listed here but get screen sizes (either flat panel or projector with screen). I have wondered for a long time, what is the percentage of projectors in home theater installations? Something like the following (more or less granular)

<65"

66" to 75"

76" to 85"

86" to 100"

101" to 120"

121" to 140"

141" to 160"

>160"

post #84 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Unlike a living room or even an AV room with an asymmetrical layout, a dedicated home theater
+takes viewing angles and distances into consideration,
+plus acoustics, and
+puts the viewer in the optimal position to enjoy the content. And crucially, a dedicated home theater
+offers complete control over lighting.

Of course, the other important ingredient in a true home theater is sound. You can't have a big picture without
+audio to match. A dedicated home theater offers an opportunity to
+optimize a multichannel surround system so that the audience feels enveloped. A dedicated home theater offers the opportunity to
+place speakers in optimal positions.

Anyhow, the simple question is this: Do you have a dedicated home theater?
Seems like the answer is "No".
Seems like I've got all of the listed requirements - marked them all with "+" - except for one: dedicating a room to it.

I figure I'd be willing to invest up to 1 disposable annual income (excluding taxes and utilities), maybe up to 1 more over lifetime for mx, into the difference between a multipurpose room and a dedicated HT room. Any more crosses the bounds of sanity.

The irony is that the only way I can earn enough for my annual income to cover a quality dedicated HT room is working in IT and renting. I'm not currently looking to die in a crash falling asleep at the wheel on a 2-hour drive home after a 12-hour day. And even if I was looking to do that, it would leave me with zero time to use that hard-earned HT room.

So I've got a bathroom, a kitchen, a bedroom, and a non-dedicated HT room. Since I've got no life, it can't be a living room. Since it's not built for HT, it can't be a HT room. But for the hour or two a day I get to use it to watch a movie (takes 2 days)... so what is it?
post #85 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Once you've experienced a dedicated home theater, life feels incomplete without it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180610_012848.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	853.7 KB
ID:	2541628  
sdrucker likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #86 of 137 Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 144
My wife and I built out theater room about 7 years ago out of a large unused room in the house. The first 2 or 3 years we used it maybe 4-5 nights a week. Superbowl parties were at our place. Now, we use it maybe once a week or when a really great movie is out that we both really want to see in its full glory. Otherwise, we just watch in the living room on the TV. The theater still has that wow factor that you just don't get in the living room though.
post #87 of 137 Old 03-20-2019, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Hmm, honestly I find the 60% yes and 30% no, with the 9% other of plan to build or used to have seem "off" to my gut feel.
400 people voted, a very slim voting of the # users here.

Somehow I was expecting 20-25% yes and 75-80% no.......guess my expectation of AVS user base need re-adjusting...
post #88 of 137 Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Somehow I was expecting 20-25% yes and 75-80%
I think when the definition of a "dedicated space" is tightened up AND adhered to in the response, you will be pretty close. And once screen size is selected, a clearer picture will emerge. I could be way off but we shall see.

I think we must also remember, however, that AVS users are NOT typical. "Typical" is not even aware that AVS exists. They go to a big box store, buy a TV and "maybe" a sound bar, and they are more than perfectly OK with that. My bet is that even those with a 2+ channel audio system for the "typical" user is a tiny, tiny rarity. Then add in a truly dedicated space, and the numbers are smaller than minuscule. Top that off by adding a projector and screen, and the numbers shrink even further. My best estimate is that number would be on the order of 0.1% (max) of US households have truly dedicated, purpose built theaters.

Last edited by audioguy; 03-20-2019 at 04:38 AM.
post #89 of 137 Old 03-20-2019, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I voted yes because I do in fact have a 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X setup and been enjoying the heck out of it since, I found front heights to be more immersive than surround backs (aka 7.1). I would love to do 5.1.4 or even 7.1.4 but the only downside is that 9 channel receivers are still pretty expensive at the moment so 5.1.2 will do for now.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 7.1 surround) | Xbox One X | Amazon Fire Stick 4K | Roku Ultra
post #90 of 137 Old 03-20-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Hmm, honestly I find the 60% yes and 30% no, with the 9% other of plan to build or used to have seem "off" to my gut feel.
Those with probably have more of a tendency to vote although being in the forum it is (Receivers...) versus Dedicated Theater Design & Construction probably keeps the percentage a little lower.
PioManiac, mtbdudex and J_P_A like this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page