AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Do You Have a Dedicated Home Theater? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3057122-do-you-have-dedicated-home-theater.html)

imagic 03-18-2019 04:19 AM

Do You Have a Dedicated Home Theater?

While watching movies on a TV in the living room can be fun, it’s a bit of a stretch to call TV and a soundbar a “home theater.” In order to have a truly cinematic experience at home, you need to replicate certain aspects of commercial movie theaters. In other words, you need a dedicated home theater!

Unlike a living room or even an AV room with an asymmetrical layout, a dedicated home theater takes viewing angles and distances into consideration, plus acoustics, and puts the viewer in the optimal position to enjoy the content. And crucially, a dedicated home theater offers complete control over lighting. ideally, not only can you make it completely dark, but in front projection installations it is also advantageous to paint the theater and dark tones that absorb light instead of reflecting it back to the screen.

Of course, the other important ingredient in a true home theater is sound. You can't have a big picture without audio to match. A dedicated home theater offers an opportunity to optimize a multichannel surround system so that the audience feels enveloped. A dedicated home theater offers the opportunity to place speakers in optimal positions. And for the most serious cinematic purists, there is nothing quite like an acoustically transparent screen that puts center channel dialogue where it belongs.

In this poll, for the sake of argument, a living room that is convertible to a home theater (optimized seating, full light control, a suitably large screen, and a properly configured surround system) is technically "home theater" but it does not automatically count as a dedicated home theater. I'm looking for people who dedicated a room. But... if that truly is what you do with your living room, and it meets all the other qualifications, then you can in good conscience vote "yes." But... it has to be that (basically) you dedicated your living room to be a home theater.

Anyhow, the simple question is this: Do you have a dedicated home theater?

bjaurelio 03-18-2019 04:56 AM

I don't have a dedicated room, but I have a nice 5.1 system in the living room. Speaker positions and main couch are fairly optimized in placement.

Right now, I'm working on upgrading to 5.2.4. I just tested the crossover in my first cabinet for the Atmos speakers. Now it's time to build 3 more cabinets and buy the parts for the other 3 crossovers. After these are installed, I'll be saving for another Ultimax sub.

jsgrise 03-18-2019 05:01 AM

I have a dedicated room and watch all my movies and TV shows in it. Watching an anticipated movie/show on a 2-channel system or weak HT is irritating me, I'm I the only one?

teckademic 03-18-2019 05:09 AM

I don't have a room that was built for a dedicated home theater, but I do have a dedicated home theater space that has "optimized seating, full light control, a suitably large screen, and a properly configured surround system" along with acoustic panels, so I voted yes on the poll.

gorman42 03-18-2019 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teckademic (Post 57763670)
I don't have a room that was built for a dedicated home theater, but I do have a dedicated home theater space that has "optimized seating, full light control, a suitably large screen, and a properly configured surround system" along with acoustic panels, so I voted yes on the poll.

I'm pretty much in the same category. For many I have a dedicated home theatre space. For me... not so much. I am aware of so many constraints that I feel like the correct answer is no.

wl1 03-18-2019 05:21 AM

My lounge has a Large TV, AVR with LCR and Side Surrounds and a Sub.... my Home Cinema.

I built a dedicated cinema with 3m screen and projector, 11 speakers, mulitple Subs, AT Screen - black out velvet/light controlled (no windows), acoustic treatment, 3D LUT video calibration with Dirac REQ. This is comparable to a cinematic experience IMO - and I just miss out the word "Home" and call it a Cinema.

The Home Cinema - although excellent, is just watching a big tv with big sound. It is not cinematic.

audioguy 03-18-2019 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes and since 1992.

Current Theater (9.2.6)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1553051328

It wasn't part of your qualification list (and it shouldn't necessarily be) but a screen size on the order of something >99" really does make it "appear" more like a theater.

That said, another poll might be interesting: Same requirements that are listed here but get screen sizes (either flat panel or projector with screen). I have wondered for a long time, what is the percentage of projectors in home theater installations? Something like the following (more or less granular)

<65"

66" to 75"

76" to 85"

86" to 100"

101" to 120"

121" to 140"

141" to 160"

>160"

Dave-T 03-18-2019 05:33 AM

I do not have dedicated room because my place is only a 1300 soft condo, however in my condo I have a 5.2.4 setup with voice automated lighting (luton Caseta) and blinds/shades. In the day I can have my room completely dark with Hunter Douglass PoweView Silhoutte A Deux windo treatments which is a Sihoutte Sheer in front and a Blackout shade in the rear which are both motorized. All of my speakers are in-wall and in- ceiling ( B&W CWm7.3 for all 5 bed channels and B&W CCm682 for all 4 in-cieling speakers)with a 65" LG OLED E6 screen which is eventually is going to be updated to 88" or 77" OLED. Tomorrow my 4 dedicated line install will be conpleted which (1 x 20amp 10awg line for both my amps, 1 x 20amp 10awg line for ( Marantz 8805 , Apple TV, cable box, xbpx one and Oppo 203, internet and av fans) and 2x dedicated 15amp 12awg lines for my 2 JL F112v2 subs. I can honestly say in a condo I have gone as far as one could go. Then I move into a house in the next few years I will most likely do a full blown out dedicated theater.

imagic 03-18-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy (Post 57763716)
Yes and since 1992.

It wasn't part of your qualification list (and it shouldn't necessarily be) but a screen size on the order of something >99" really does make it "appear" more like a theater.

That said, another poll might be interesting: Same requirements that are listed here but get screen sizes (either flat panel or projector with screen). I have wondered for a long time, what is the percentage of projectors in home theater installations? Something like the following (more or less granular)

<65"

66" to 75"

76" to 85"

86" to 100"

101" to 120"

121" to 140"

141" to 160"

>160"

Good idea, I too am curious.

And as for the size... this is the first year 98" is showing up in what look to be shipping TVs (not custom-built). So lines will be blurred.

audioguy 03-18-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 57763760)
Good idea, I too am curious.

And as for the size... this is the first year 98" is showing up in what look to be shipping TVs (not custom-built). So lines will be blurred.

I don't think it is about flat panel vs screen, just image size. A 98" flat panel would more than qualify.

I REALLY look forward to that poll. It would certainly seem that the percent of larger screens from AVS users would not be representative of the general public but should be interesting nonetheless.

doubleroll 03-18-2019 06:34 AM

No dedicated HT but living room with LINN 5.1 and Fujitsu 55”, Lutron and Philips Hue lighting, Velux remote skylights and blinds. Reclining seating by Nicoletti...Works well for the most part but no where near dedicated theater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DVD MAN 03-18-2019 06:40 AM

Yes I Do!!

inspector 03-18-2019 06:48 AM

Out here in So Cal we have homes that have tandem garages, two car spaces in front with one car space behind. I took this space, added another wall and sound proof door and ended up with a 12' x 17' dedicated home theater. My signature shows what's in there. My last home had a media center in the den, so this was a real step up.

solarrdadd 03-18-2019 07:05 AM

i live alone and in my livingroom i have a 7.1.4 system and in my bedroom i have a 5.1.2 setup, so, as per the thread title, my response is, yes, kinda! :p

elf5 03-18-2019 07:32 AM

I just finished my basement theater last fall

dan webster 03-18-2019 07:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Great idea for a poll. I refinished part of my basement into a 26 x16 dedicated space about 15 years ago. It was one of the best things i ever did. My kids spent lots of time there often with many friends over the years. Now they both have their own houses with dedicated theaters i built for them. When they were looking for houses one of important things was to find one with the space for a theater. Here are some pics of their budget theaters.

JSKMDWK 03-18-2019 07:37 AM

I'm on my second dedicated home theater. Took over the bonus room above the garage and the theater gets more use than the swimming pool in the backyard!

stangflyer 03-18-2019 07:38 AM

I do not have a dedicated room but my living room is very ideal dimension wise: 22 ft long by 14 ft wide. Thick Black drapes that go over the blinds on all windows and main door. 7.2.4 Atmos with a Sony 940D TV and a Denon 4300H plus 2 channel amp for Atmos height channel. All the speakers are evenly placed in the proper position. Home theater couch with transducers installed. Sit 9 feet from TV.

The one thing that is severely lacking is sound treatments of which I have none. Ceiling is 8.5 ft high and flat.
Do not have a wife in the house so I can do what I want. :)

Scotth3886 03-18-2019 07:38 AM

I have a dedicated room for HT downstairs, but have taken that room and use it for audio in 2 channell stereo only.

Blacklightning 03-18-2019 07:45 AM

I don't think this is going to be a useful poll as many people with really nice living room setups or Bonus room HT setups are going to say yes. :(

Rex Anderson 03-18-2019 07:59 AM

I used to have a dedicated HT when I was working as a recording and mastering engineer. I had an acoustician design it from scratch in new home construction in 2005, lived there 8 years. It was in my basement, essentially a bunker, 17' x 23' x 10' with splayed walls, sloped ceiling, and custom designed and built acoustic treatment. 110" screen, Runco projector, Dunlavy SC-V main L/R speakers, Bryston SP2, Bryston 4B SST main amp. I was able to use it for my audio and video production work. I did extensive orchestral recording and video work for opera productions as well as jazz and pop/rock recording and mastering.

I retired and downsized, the guy who bought my house couldn't afford everything in the HT so I sold it all, even the 50 acoustic treatment panels.

After moving a few times since then, I have had good systems in living rooms. I'm selling the house I'm in now and hope to find a new one where I can have a dedicated HT again. I have a few options, I know someone who might sell me their home and built a dedicated HT separate from his house, so that would be ideal. I have seen a few homes that have a Casita that would be an good place to put a HT. I really don't mind having it in my living room as long as I can make it work properly.

I no longer do AV production work, but still enjoy having the best systems I can for my personal use. I also have a system in the master bedroom, big TV, 3.0 audio with good L/C/R powered monitors.

imagic 03-18-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacklightning (Post 57764356)
I don't think this is going to be a useful poll as many people with really nice living room setups or Bonus room HT setups are going to say yes. :(

I am okay with that because I will follow it up with other polls, relating to screen size and display type. The macro observation here is that the majority of respondents feel that they do have a home theater, now... and only a tiny percentage report having either given up on dedicated home theater or are planning on acquiring one.

blake18 03-18-2019 09:31 AM

I do, with full light control and full acoustic treatments, full range large Klipsch Reference system, 6 subwoofers, Epson 5030UB, beastly receiver, Xbox One X. It's absolutely awesome, I love it! &#x1f642;

Couch Viking 03-18-2019 11:15 AM

Nope, but it is the number one item on my bucket list. a) build a house b) make sure it has a dedicated theater room.

PioManiac 03-18-2019 12:17 PM

I have a Dedicated Entertainment Room, not a dedicated "theater".

It's a windowless 100% light controlled basement cave filled with toys that get used every day (mostly with a 65" OLED)
for Cable TV/Netflix/Youtube, Music, 4K Gaming (XBO X and PS4) or as a place where friends and I sit around noodling on guitars,
...sippin' expensive Single Malt Scotch whisky, sometimes while watching hockey/football, but always with a few dim lamps on.

For movie time, I kill the lights and the room is pitch black, velvet covered walls absorb sound and light reflections.
The powered 120" screen drops from the ceiling, the JVC projector takes over the 4K/UHD/HDR video and 14K watts of 7.4.4 ATMOS audio fills the small space quite well.
4 Crowson motion actuators under the powered recliners fill in the ULF right down to 3Hz where my 4 Subs start to trail off (below 10Hz).

If it was just a dedicated theater room, it would only see limited use. Perhaps a larger home could have two different rooms to accommodate all our needs,
I like it all-in-one as do most guests, The guys like all the toys in one space and the wives appreciate that all that crap hasn't infected their designer "living room"

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...p;d=1515038651

bkeeler10 03-18-2019 01:10 PM

I'm just finishing up my dedicated theater. It is about 14' x 18' x 9', with a ~20" riser comprising the back 6' or so. Full 7.1.4 Atmos, acoustically transparent 110" wide 2.35 screen, painted very dark with full light control and appropriate acoustic treatment. Needless to say, I voted yes. See sig for equipment.

I keep reading that a lot of people with dedicated theaters don't end up using them very much, but that will not be the case here. For me, movie watching/music listening is an experience and is greatly enhanced by an intentionally designed space. Enjoying it a lot!

Molon_Labe 03-18-2019 01:15 PM

I always wanted one, so I built a two row dedicated theater. Meh...., it didn't get used nearly as much as I initially thought it would. I tore down the second row and went back to a combo room with arcade games/pool table in the rear of the room and the theater in the front. The room gets a lot more use as a multi-purpose room. I do have the luxury of having a large 20x30 room to do both.

steve1106 03-18-2019 01:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
No to dedicated. Yes to my definition of HT which is more about quantity..."image size" and "bang for the buck" sound than quality.

I spent a few hours on a basement room and ended up with a 151.5" 16:9 image via a 1080p projector and 7.4 sound via inexpensive AVR/speakers/subs. I lightly treated the area around the screen and used blackout curtains to control the light while putting the seating at 13 feet from the screen/wall. I used the AVRs auto setup feature with the mic, a Disney "Wow" disk for the projector's setup and let it go. It is good enough for audio/video during movies/TV and on the music front, the kids use their phones and we use the Echos scattered around the house for most of our music consumption these days. :o

JohnnyWilkinson 03-18-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molon_Labe (Post 57766270)
I always wanted one, so I built a two row dedicated theater. Meh...., it didn't get used nearly as much as I initially thought it would. I tore down the second row and went back to a combo room with arcade games/pool table in the rear of the room and the theater in the front. The room gets a lot more use as a multi-purpose room. I do have the luxury of having a large 20x30 room to do both.

This is exactly my thinking. Very little of what we watch / do with speakers / projectors these days are classic films which require the full home theater treatment, or that people expect the 'cinema' feel for - ie single seats, full darkness, etc. I'm therefore trying to combine an enveloping cinema experience in the end of a multi-use basement. Should be fun...

temartin 03-18-2019 02:14 PM

Yes we put in the theater room 10 years ago when we did a renovation. Blew out a space behind the garage. Have a 70" flat screen with a motorized 10' screen and front projector for movies. 4 matched theater recliners and 7.1 THX Ultra sound system.

Oh, and a built in undercounter fridge for adult beverages.

Wife and I agree this was the best addition we've ever made to the house. Used daily for the last ten years for both TV/Netflix/Prime shows on the "little" screen and NAS streamed BluRay on the big screen.