Help needed please with amp vs receiver setup question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-24-2019, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help needed please with amp vs receiver setup question

Hi all! I wanted to get some input on what might be the best way to get my setup finished in my HT. Right now, I'm running a paid of Klipsch RP-280F towers with two Klipsch R-115SW's. I have a Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K player outputting HDMI to the tv and separate HDMI to an Onkyo TX-RZ800 for audio only.

I am looking to add a dedicated power amp to the system ideally without breaking the bank. The TX-RZ800 has preamp outs and dual sub outs of course so thats one option. Another idea was to ditch the TX-RZ800 as I only listen for movies in 2.1 with dual subs really. I see the DP-UB820-K has 7.1 channel output, one subwoofer output noted. There is "TV" volume control on the player but I am not sure if that would control the volume for a power amp or if thats just a TV speaker volume controller. The DAC's on the player seem weaker than what is in the Onkyo but of course outputting directly to a power amp from the player would be a shorter analog pathway. Also, the player only has a single subwoofer out so not sure the impact of using a splitter on the sub signal for overall dual sub performance.

Any thoughts on this? Right now I'm leaning towards adding an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 300w x 2 @ 8 ohms from the FL and FR Preamp outs on the Onkyo while leaving the subwoofer dual out's hooked up as is. Would be nice though if I could ditch some cables and sell the Onkyo to help offset the Emotiva cost and just have the player with analog sub splitting out and the analog speaker outs to the Emotiva amp.

Thanks in advance!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 75UH8500 TV / Onkyo TX-RZ800 / Oppo UDP-203 / Klipsch RP-280F Towers / Klipsch Dual R-112SW's / Auralex Isolation Platforms / Roxul Safe n Sound Superchunks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-24-2019, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Absolutely no need for an amp with high efficiency speakers like yours (unless you want your ears to bleed - joking). Your AVR is plenty powerful to do everything you need with your setup.

Use the money that you don't spend on the amp on things like room acoustic treatments or subwoofers - much more bang for the buck and you'll actually hear the difference with much higher quality sound.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #3 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
Absolutely no need for an amp with high efficiency speakers like yours (unless you want your ears to bleed - joking). Your AVR is plenty powerful to do everything you need with your setup.

Use the money that you don't spend on the amp on things like room acoustic treatments or subwoofers - much more bang for the buck and you'll actually hear the difference with much higher quality sound.
Thanks for the input. I have the room acoustically treated with superchunks in the corners and homemade wideband absorbers at the first reflection points for the tower speakers already, with risers for the speakers and subs already. The max power rating for the speakers was 600 watts so just wanted to see if i could get a bit better bass response with a bit more power from them. Dont need my ears to explode though. Do spikes under the speakers and subs help more than risers perhaps?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 75UH8500 TV / Onkyo TX-RZ800 / Oppo UDP-203 / Klipsch RP-280F Towers / Klipsch Dual R-112SW's / Auralex Isolation Platforms / Roxul Safe n Sound Superchunks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21823 Post(s)
Liked: 11816
Important to note the dual sub pre-outs on the RZ800 are connected to an internal "Y" splitter. You may want to consider upgrading to a higher level and more current model that can do dual sub EQ.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry that I missed that you already have the 2 15" subs and acoustic treatment.

Spikes can be helpful for the speakers to prevent or limit sound coupling or vibrations with the floor.

Use HDMI out from your BluRay and TV to HDMI in on your AVR for best sound (HDMI digital is better than any analog signal).

As mentioned by @jdsmoothie , a change to an AVR with acoustic correction for dual subs would likely result in better sound. It is always necessary to do the "sub crawl" first to determine the optimal positions for your room. Sometimes it's a trade-off due to visual aesthetics, room specifics and the wife acceptance factor.

The are a lot of options for AVRs with support for dual subs. I'm most familiar with Denon and a recent 4300, 4400 or 4500 would likely serve you well and there are a lot of support options here on AVS.

Again, the amp is probably the least bang for the buck in your situation. Your speaker's low frequency drivers (which use the most power from your speakers) is for the most part being redirected to your subs. It doesn't take as much power for your mid-range and HF sound.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! So the dual sub EQ is established based on the sub pre-out's not having an internal y-splitter but two distinct sub channels? I actually have each sub-out from the Onkyo split with two subs on each channel, so i have no doubt this would help a lot then if they werent already split in the signal now.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21823 Post(s)
Liked: 11816
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyP3t3 View Post
Thanks! So the dual sub EQ is established based on the sub pre-out's not having an internal y-splitter but two distinct sub channels? I actually have each sub-out from the Onkyo split with two subs on each channel, so i have no doubt this would help a lot then if they werent already split in the signal now.
Not two distinct sub channels no, rather the same signal is passed to each sub pre-out but the level/delay of each sub is set independently.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-27-2019, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyP3t3 View Post

An AVR with true independent sub outs can do things like set the proper time delays for the subs and correct the polarity. While the calculated physical distances are fairly accurate, it can also calculate the extended amount of time that the sound takes to reach the ear for a horn sub which may have a lengthy path within the subwoofer. A horn sub may be 10' away physically but could be calculated as 15 to 20 feet or more due to the extended path inside the subwoofer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page