Emotiva XPA-7 or Monolith 7 ?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #1 of 53 Old 04-13-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Emotiva XPA-7 or Monolith 7 ??

Monoprice is doing he 10% off this week end so I have been looking into either the Emotiva XPA-7 or the Monolith 7x200.

The monolith will come at $1542 shipped whereas the Emotiva (i can get a 10% off) will be around $1800.

Which one would you choose and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 09-23-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
Monoprice is doing he 10% off this week end so I have been looking into either the Emotiva XPA-7 or the Monolith 7x200.

The monolith will come at $1542 shipped whereas the Emotiva (i can get a 10% off) will be around $1800.

Which one would you choose and why?
I would go with an Emotiva, why, because I have one!

Honestly, I'm not all that sure about Monoprice and their move into electronics. Not sure I want to buy an amp from the same place I can buy cheap cabling and misc. ht supplies. It doesn't mean it's not a good product, I just don't want to buy a car from the same guy I get my coffee from. Emotiva only does amps and processors, so that is where all their focus is. My 2 cents.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #3 of 53 Old 09-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 114
The Monolith is made by ATI in the USA. ATI is well known for their amps and that's why I would go with that route.
smokarz, tonygeno, SinGA and 1 others like this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, I didn't look much further into the Monolith amp to see it was manufactured by ATI. I'm still not 100% sold on the Monolith, though.

My vote still goes with the Emotiva - great products as well as customer service. I'm sure there are others that have different experiences, but mine has always been positive.

Unfortunately, my XPA-7 just shorted out - I live in the greater Houston area, so it could have been due to the all the storms we had last week, but I'm not sure. It, as well as my AV7704 went out, but my XPA-5 and a few other things on the same circuit were just fine. Within one day, already have everything setup to get it repaired.

If Emotiva does fail me, my next pick would be Outlaw Audio - I would be going with the 7700. I already have one in my cart, just in case the Emotiva goes on a trip to eBay when it returns.

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #5 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Sorry, I didn't look much further into the Monolith amp to see it was manufactured by ATI. I'm still not 100% sold on the Monolith, though.

My vote still goes with the Emotiva - great products as well as customer service. I'm sure there are others that have different experiences, but mine has always been positive.

Unfortunately, my XPA-7 just shorted out - I live in the greater Houston area, so it could have been due to the all the storms we had last week, but I'm not sure. It, as well as my AV7704 went out, but my XPA-5 and a few other things on the same circuit were just fine. Within one day, already have everything setup to get it repaired.

If Emotiva does fail me, my next pick would be Outlaw Audio - I would be going with the 7700. I already have one in my cart, just in case the Emotiva goes on a trip to eBay when it returns.
The Outlaw is also an ATI build, right?
post #6 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.REED View Post
Yes, most of their models are made by ATI. I like my Emotiva, but if I could go back to when I ordered it, I would have purchased the Outlaw Audio 7700. Again, I like my Emotiva, but I've heard some amazing things about the Outlaw amps.

But, that would mean running an Outlaw with another Emotiva amp - I have an XPA-5 too that I've had since 2014.

post #7 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Honestly, I'm not all that sure about Monoprice and their move into electronics. Not sure I want to buy an amp from the same place I can buy cheap cabling and misc. ht supplies. It doesn't mean it's not a good product, I just don't want to buy a car from the same guy I get my coffee from. Emotiva only does amps and processors, so that is where all their focus is. My 2 cents.
I get your hesitancy, but Monoprice isn't actually designing or building the stuff they sell. Their new speakers were designed by a respected speaker designer firm called Claridy, then that is subbed to a manufacturer to build for them (not sure where), and then their amps are ATI. It's sort of like when you get the same cheese cheaper at Costco because it's Costco brand rather than name brand. You are benefiting from their economies of scale. I completely get where you are coming from though, it's harder to have pride in your rack when it says Discount Den on the front panel, and you know it isn't delivered because someone at Monoprice poured all their love into it, it's that a smart business guy said "find me the best amps we can get to white label our name on". The result is a better value to you, but, maybe it has a bit less soul.

Honestly I'm pondering a Monolith amp to replace my pro amps that take up a few too many Us in my rack, and I haven't been able to pull the trigger... and that's one of the reasons.
post #8 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.REED View Post
Apparently you are correct, I didn't know that.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #9 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
I get your hesitancy, but Monoprice isn't actually designing or building the stuff they sell. Their new speakers were designed by a respected speaker designer firm called Claridy, then that is subbed to a manufacturer to build for them (not sure where), and then their amps are ATI. It's sort of like when you get the same cheese cheaper at Costco because it's Costco brand rather than name brand. You are benefiting from their economies of scale. I completely get where you are coming from though, it's harder to have pride in your rack when it says Discount Den on the front panel, and you know it isn't delivered because someone at Monoprice poured all their love into it, it's that a smart business guy said "find me the best amps we can get to white label our name on". The result is a better value to you, but, maybe it has a bit less soul.

Honestly I'm pondering a Monolith amp to replace my pro amps that take up a few too many Us in my rack, and I haven't been able to pull the trigger... and that's one of the reasons.
I completely get what you are saying and understand that ATI is a respected brand. Products for many years have been stamped with the "Built by Company X in the USA", branded under a different name, some good, and some complete duds. I'm in now way implying that this product is, I'm just saying I would like to see it have some longevity in the marketplace before I make an educated decision. As for a discount product in my rack, I'm not overly concerned about that - Emotiva is technically on the discount side of amps. Don't get me wrong, I love Monoprice - all my cabling and speaker wire has been purchased there for many years.

I don't believe the Costco analogy works in this situation - sure I'm okay with buying a Costco cheese over a name brand, but in relative dollars, the two situations aren't comparable. I would say this more of a Marantz and Denon conversation - made by the same company, marketed under different names, one towards bang-for-buck, the other towards high-end electronics.

With that said, my intention is not to knock the Monoprice amp, or state that if someone wants to buy one that they're wrong. I'm just saying, at this point, they aren't for me.

post #10 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Apparently you are correct, I didn't know that.
I'm not certain they are all made by ATI, but I believe the vast majority are.

post #11 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Emo
Quote:
I would go with an Emotiva, why, because I have one!

And I would go with the Monolith, why because I had the Emotiva and hated it! If we are talking about the Gen 3 version that is. There is something going on with that thing that my brain does not like, (likely something about the new smps) I was sooooo excited when i got my xpa-11, and the only thing that made me happier was selling it a few months later and moving back to solid state AB amps.

And why would you NOT want to get you car from the same guy that sells you your coffee if it is quality? Emo does more than processors and amps too. You can buy some of their overpriced cables (even at clearance prices) My 2 cents... :-)
SinGA likes this.
post #12 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
Emo

And I would go with the Monolith, why because I had the Emotiva and hated it! If we are talking about the Gen 3 version that is. There is something going on with that thing that my brain does not like, (likely something about the new smps) I was sooooo excited when i got my xpa-11, and the only thing that made me happier was selling it a few months later and moving back to solid state AB amps.

And why would you NOT want to get you car from the same guy that sells you your coffee if it is quality? Emo does more than processors and amps too. You can buy some of their overpriced cables (even at clearance prices) My 2 cents... :-)
I would agree with you that the Gen 3 models are not as good as their previous Gen 2's. Point in case, my XPA-5 is still rocking and rolling over 5 years in - the XPA-7 has lasted less than a year. I'm not completely soured by Emotiva yet though. I'm just not there with the Monoprice amp yet, but sounds like a lot you already are - nothing wrong with that.

I stick by may statement on the coffee and car - I probably should have clarified that I was referring to a New car. Used car - not a problem, as long as it is quality like you stated.

post #13 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 192
@Asgard1an I only own a small Integra 2 channel amp but I was just in another thread where a member was suggesting either an outlaw 7200, the monolith or his favorite which was from D-sonic....can't remember the model.

hope that helps!
post #14 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

This isn't entirely true. You might be surprised, but you can't just go to a speaker designer and say "Make me speakers and subwoofers" and have it come out well. I auditioned several potential factories and designers, had to create detailed design documents, performance goals and criteria, etc. I am the product manager, not a product engineer, so I essentially outsourced engineering to build a Monolith product to my performance targets and sonic expectations.

All the Monolith product starts and ends with me. Some products are completely developed from scratch, and others are fortunate enough to have a partner that is already amazing at what they do. You'd be surprised to find that some people's favorite brands do not make anything themselves either.

There is a lot of personal blood, sweat, tears, and time invested in the Monolith line up.
SinGA, drh3b, dwaleke and 4 others like this.

Hobie
Monoprice - Monolith
post #15 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithGuy View Post
This isn't entirely true. You might be surprised, but you can't just go to a speaker designer and say "Make me speakers and subwoofers" and have it come out well. I auditioned several potential factories and designers, had to create detailed design documents, performance goals and criteria, etc. I am the product manager, not a product engineer, so I essentially outsourced engineering to build a Monolith product to my performance targets and sonic expectations.

All the Monolith product starts and ends with me. Some products are completely developed from scratch, and others are fortunate enough to have a partner that is already amazing at what they do. You'd be surprised to find that some people's favorite brands do not make anything themselves either.

There is a lot of personal blood, sweat, tears, and time invested in the Monolith line up.
I literally have the same job. My words were imperfect to try to make a point. I can completely understand why you have personal blood, sweat, tears, and time invested in your product. You have to come up with what you want, and keep the engineering firm you hire on task and on target, and integrate between the business types and the engineer types, and make sure that the designers aren't backing you into a design for manufacturability corner (and often the people best at designing, aren't the greatest at understanding the procurement end), and while people think "the engineers" (and I'm a degreed professional engineer so I get to rip on us) are the end all, engineers often make some really dumb decisions if left to their own accord in an effort to improve something that means nothing to a customer. Do I need to go on? I'm not implying that your job is easy, I'm just seeing where I can see Tom's perspective where it doesn't feel like it has much soul when you know you are buying something white labelled.

The point you do bring up is that the whole industry is like that. I don't know the details of the audio industry, but I imagine it is like most similar industries now where there is a lot of overlap with manufacturing when you look at the midmarket suppliers and engineers. There are quaint little amplifier and speaker builders but the majority are probably buying from the same suppliers and using the same engineering firms. The audio industry isn't that big and most of these companies can't afford to have every discipline in their office, let alone the best of the best.

I feel like you think my post was ragging on you, but really my perspective of Monoprice is that it has a core competency of finding value based manufacturing, and is leveraging economies of scale to get better designs out cheaper. Would the ATI feel better in my rack? Probably. Would it do the job better? Probably not. Is the Monoprice probably what I'll buy? Yeah.

Now can I get a Monolith amp with some rack ears or what?
Tom Riddle likes this.

Last edited by anjunadeep; 09-24-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #16 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I literally have the same job. My words were imperfect to try to make a point. I can completely understand why you have personal blood, sweat, tears, and time invested in your product. You have to come up with what you want, and keep the engineering firm you hire on task and on target, and integrate between the business types and the engineer types, and make sure that the designers aren't backing you into a design for manufacturability corner (and often the people best at designing, aren't the greatest at understanding the procurement end), and while people think "the engineers" (and I'm a degreed professional engineer so I get to rip on us) are the end all, engineers often make some really dumb decisions if left to their own accord in an effort to improve something that means nothing to a customer. Do I need to go on? I'm not implying that your job is easy, I'm just seeing where I can see Tom's perspective where it doesn't feel like it has much soul when you know you are buying something white labelled.

The point you do bring up is that the whole industry is like that. I don't know the details of the audio industry, but I imagine it is like most similar industries now where there is a lot of overlap with manufacturing when you look at the midmarket suppliers and engineers. There are quaint little amplifier and speaker builders but the majority are probably buying from the same suppliers and using the same engineering firms. The audio industry isn't that big and most of these companies can't afford to have every discipline in their office, let alone the best of the best.

I feel like you think my post was ragging on you, but really my perspective of Monoprice is that it has a core competency of finding value based manufacturing, and is leveraging economies of scale to get better designs out cheaper. Would the ATI feel better in my rack? Probably. Would it do the job better? Probably not. Is the Monoprice probably what I'll buy? Yeah.

Now can I get a Monolith amp with some rack ears or what?
No worries! I didn't take it as you "ragging on me". I was just trying to offer some insight to the process.
Tom Riddle likes this.

Hobie
Monoprice - Monolith
post #17 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
Emo

Quote:
I would agree with you that the Gen 3 models are not as good as their previous Gen 2's. Point in case, my XPA-5 is still rocking and rolling over 5 years in - the XPA-7 has lasted less than a year. I'm not completely soured by Emotiva yet though. I'm just not there with the Monoprice amp yet, but sounds like a lot you already are - nothing wrong with that.

I stick by may statement on the coffee and car - I probably should have clarified that I was referring to a New car. Used car - not a problem, as long as it is quality like you stated.

Stereophile's measurements of the XPA Gen3 show some unfortunate results that may be reflected in your listening tests. The measurements section makes an informative read. Pay special attention to Figures 6, which shows a large amount of distortion and noise at high frequencies, and figures 8,9,10 and 11 which show a lot of distortion. John Atkinson's comments at the end are telling in that he rarely says much bad about any piece of equipment. The subjective portion of the review is also very negative for Stereophile.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
Tom Riddle and dwaleke like this.
post #18 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
If I were to buy an amp, the main point of which is to obtain more clean power for improved dynamics and headroom, I wouldn't spend a couple grand for a 3 dB increase in headroom with the lower powered Monolith or Emotiva amps.

IMO, if I'm going to spend near $2k anyhow, I'd rather spend a little more for a substantial improvement in dynamics with an amp from D-Sonic. As much clean power and headroom as you are likely to ever need, with exceptionally good, detailed specs available. Their entry level amps are 400watts/channel into 8r and 800/4r. 6dB+ headroom compared to AVR power makes the expense a bit more worth it imo.

Just a tough pill to swallow thinking I would spend $2k for, at best, 3 dB of headroom. I also think one would be better off getting a more powerful 3 channel amp for the LCR and leaving the rest of one's speakers on AVR power since the power demand from the other speakers is pretty low. I'd go this route before I settled on 200w/channel for my front 3 from a 7 channel amp that is providing way more power than needed to the other channels.
Jonas2, dwaleke and Tom Riddle like this.
post #19 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithGuy View Post

Not that you need my endorsement, but I have four of the Monolith 12" subs. They are a great product. The amplifiers look good as well, but I don't need an amp at present. The amplifier channel boards look really nice. Perhaps the manufacturing processes used have been updated for the product.

It is so nice that full specifications and measurements are available for the Monolith subs and amplifiers. It is frankly disgusting that so many, (the vast majority?) of so-called technical products try to get by without measurements, or even meaningful specifications.

The HTP-1 seems the biggest challenge to date. The previous products (admittedly looking in from the outside) have mainly depended upon expertise such as good hardware design, supply chain management, and manufacturing expertise. The designs seem to require excellence in proven fields, not easy, but the path to the finish line can be defined. The HTP-1 adds software to the mix, which is certainly another level of challenge. Often pushing on a rope comes to mind. If the HTP-1 is delivered soon with all the promised features, that will really be a major accomplishment!
MonolithGuy and Tom Riddle like this.
post #20 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Stereophile's measurements of the XPA Gen3 show some unfortunate results that may be reflected in your listening tests. The measurements section makes an informative read. Pay special attention to Figures 6, which shows a large amount of distortion and noise at high frequencies, and figures 8,9,10 and 11 which show a lot of distortion. John Atkinson's comments at the end are telling in that he rarely says much bad about any piece of equipment. The subjective portion of the review is also very negative for Stereophile.

I saw that review around the time I purchased the XPA-7. I haven’t heard anything negative in my listening, which is nearly 100% HT and typically at reference levels. I did wish I had gone with the Outlaw amp after I saw the review.

I’m not sure if they got a bad unit, or it’s possible some of this happening in my unit and I just haven’t noticed - doubt it, but it’s possible.

One thing I can definitively say I don’t like about the gen 3 is, when using the balance XLR inputs, it reverses polarity, so now positive from the amp becomes negative and negative becomes positive. I found this out when I first hooked it up I called Emotiva and they sent me some long document why their engineers chose to do this.

All this talk is making me want to go ahead and buy the Outlaw amp I wanted and send the Emotiva to eBay when I get it back.

post #21 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
If I were to buy an amp, the main point of which is to obtain more clean power for improved dynamics and headroom, I wouldn't spend a couple grand for a 3 dB increase in headroom with the lower powered Monolith or Emotiva amps.

IMO, if I'm going to spend near $2k anyhow, I'd rather spend a little more for a substantial improvement in dynamics with an amp from D-Sonic. As much clean power and headroom as you are likely to ever need, with exceptionally good, detailed specs available. Their entry level amps are 400watts/channel into 8r and 800/4r. 6dB+ headroom compared to AVR power makes the expense a bit more worth it imo.

Just a tough pill to swallow thinking I would spend $2k for, at best, 3 dB of headroom. I also think one would be better off getting a more powerful 3 channel amp for the LCR and leaving the rest of one's speakers on AVR power since the power demand from the other speakers is pretty low. I'd go this route before I settled on 200w/channel for my front 3 from a 7 channel amp that is providing way more power than needed to the other channels.
I don’t disagree at all with what you’re saying about headroom and that the main 3 speakers are the most important. I definitely have overkill in my system, running 7.1.4, I have each speaker fed a 200 watt channel. Obviously, my surrounds and Atmos speakers are never going to draw anywhere near those specs. I will add another amps at some point for just my front 3, but that will probably be a while. So far, I haven’t had any issues running them with just 200 watts per channel. I went to separates as my avr wouldn’t run my speakers at the levels I wanted without audible distortion. That was 5 years ago.

Good recommendation on the D-Sonic. I will check those out.
bear123 and Jonas2 like this.

post #22 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post

At 55 years old my ears are nowhere near as good as they used to be, but the xpa gen 3 amps literally make my head hurt after listening to them for a longer period of time. (2ish hours) Listener fatigue sets in big time. I have had the xpa3 xpa5 and xpa11 gen 3 versions and it's the same for all of them. I also had a gen 2 XPA5 that I could use for hours on end. Could listen to that things for hours and never an issue. Same for the 1st Gen XPA series, never an issue. My favorite amp was the MPS2 though. I missed the boat on that one and should have stockpiled modules and I would be rocking an MPS with 11 channels!
UPA7? Another GREAT AMP from Emotiva. Should have bought a pallet of those when they were clearing them out as they sell for more than they did then!
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #23 of 53 Old 09-24-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
All this talk is making me want to go ahead and buy the Outlaw amp I wanted and send the Emotiva to eBay when I get it back.
Get what makes you happy ) . I was looking at an Outlaw 7220 (also a joint venture with ATI, btw) and was bummed to see they raised the price quite a bit. The Audioholics review it was like 2300 bucks (on sale it was less) now it is 2800. Way more than the comparable Monolith. The build quality of the Outlaw looks nicer, but would it achieve a better sound quality?

I think @MonolithGuy missed my question, but does anyone know if you can get rack ears with the Monolith amps?
post #24 of 53 Old 09-25-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Get what makes you happy ) . I was looking at an Outlaw 7220 (also a joint venture with ATI, btw) and was bummed to see they raised the price quite a bit. The Audioholics review it was like 2300 bucks (on sale it was less) now it is 2800. Way more than the comparable Monolith. The build quality of the Outlaw looks nicer, but would it achieve a better sound quality?

I think @MonolithGuy missed my question, but does anyone know if you can get rack ears with the Monolith amps?
Yeah, they went up on their pricing. I'm not sure what I will do, but If I do go another route, it would definitely be with Outlaw Audio. You are right, the Monolith is comparable, but I would always second guess my decision, so I don't mind paying the premium.

They sell several different rack mount shelves on their site with ears, so I'm sure they have what you need.

post #25 of 53 Old 09-25-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I'll see if we can develop something we can put out. As of right now, we don't offer anything and I agree it's a glaring omission.
anjunadeep likes this.

Hobie
Monoprice - Monolith
post #26 of 53 Old 09-25-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
I don't believe the Costco analogy works in this situation - sure I'm okay with buying a Costco cheese over a name brand, but in relative dollars, the two situations aren't comparable.

Dunno about cheese, and I'm no rum connoisseur, but the Costco brand rum just walks all up and down Captain Morgan. Maybe that's not saying much, and really no idea why I was compelled to share that....

Quote:
Good recommendation on the D-Sonic. I will check those out.

Yes, you definitely should when you're ready to consider a new amp. Tremendous value, built like tanks, outstanding performance, never a question of having enough power/headroom.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #27 of 53 Old 09-26-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, after all the back and forth about Monoloth vs Emotiva and everyone else, I decided to take a quick venture over to the Monoprice site and see what all configurations they had. All this talk about amps and high power (grunts like Tim Allen in Home Improvement) makes me want to buy something, lol. I was interested in adding a 3 channel amp with a bit more power. Unfortunately, they don’t have anything that matches those specs, but I will say, they have a lot of cool configurations with high output for 3 channels and lower for the remaining that would be used for surrounds. Going to check out those D-Sonic configurations @Jonas2 has been talking about next.

I also found the Monoprice HTP-1 16 pro/pro. Holy cow, a pre/pro with DiracLive with 16 channels of processing?! Just reading about it made my eyes light up like Christmas. My Marantz AV7704 is no slouch, but I’m only getting 11 channels of processing. To get a higher number would cost 2k more, if I stick with Marantz. Even at the higher-end, they are still using Audyssey XT32, which is no slouch, but I mean seriously, DiracLive! I’ve heard so many awesome things about DiracLive and how customizable it is. HTP-1 16 or successor to be my next Pre/Pro. If a higher output 3 channel amp comes about, I may just add that too.
Jonas2 likes this.

post #28 of 53 Old 09-26-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

"Monoprice" has a sort of a "budget chinese HDMI cable" connotation (they are good cables BTW), but their Monolith line seems to be quite high end. Their subs and amps both get excellent reviews, and their pre/pro looks like it will be a real winner for the price.
Tom Riddle likes this.

post #29 of 53 Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Going to check out those D-Sonic configurations @Jonas2 has been talking about next.

And don't hesitate to contact Dennis at D-Sonic if you've got questions or want to pick his brain about the amps. If he doesn't answer the phone, he is very good at getting back to people in very short order by phone and email. Because D-Sonic is a small company, the support is stellar.
Tom Riddle likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #30 of 53 Old 09-26-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So, after all the back and forth about Monoloth vs Emotiva and everyone else, I decided to take a quick venture over to the Monoprice site and see what all configurations they had. All this talk about amps and high power (grunts like Tim Allen in Home Improvement) makes me want to buy something, lol. I was interested in adding a 3 channel amp with a bit more power. Unfortunately, they don’t have anything that matches those specs, but I will say, they have a lot of cool configurations with high output for 3 channels and lower for the remaining that would be used for surrounds. Going to check out those D-Sonic configurations @Jonas2 has been talking about next.

I also found the Monoprice HTP-1 16 pro/pro. Holy cow, a pre/pro with DiracLive with 16 channels of processing?! Just reading about it made my eyes light up like Christmas. My Marantz AV7704 is no slouch, but I’m only getting 11 channels of processing. To get a higher number would cost 2k more, if I stick with Marantz. Even at the higher-end, they are still using Audyssey XT32, which is no slouch, but I mean seriously, DiracLive! I’ve heard so many awesome things about DiracLive and how customizable it is. HTP-1 16 or successor to be my next Pre/Pro. If a higher output 3 channel amp comes about, I may just add that too.
Are you going to be changing your speakers soon? Your Klipsch aren't hard to drive. I'd probably try to find a nice AB amp or something for those (and likely if you have a reasonably sized room you won't need an amp at all, but if you want to go to a processor in the future like the HTP-1 then you'll need an amp anyways...and amps are fun).

I was looking at the D-Sonics also but that looks like a real mom and pop shop, and it is all class D (which isn't a bad thing per say, but it is more risky because they can have some bad traits, for sure need to find some third party measurements). I'd look into stuff the guy from Audioholics has reviewed, Gene DeLaSalla or whatever his name is. He seems to have a really strong background in electronics and has a lot of powerful gear for testing amps.

What do the super powerful ATI amps cost?
355F1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page