Denon alternatives? Appreciated lots - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had my new Denon X3500 now for right about a month now.

While it has been amazing, especially with the Audessy XT32 stuff, I am unable to shake off that it's just no right for us, my wife too is starting to also mention that she might be feeling uneasy too whenever we're watching TV since getting this X3500. For the past week I have even had a persistent mild headache, we don't listen any higher than 50%, calibrated 3 runs now, reset to factory defaults and reran again, and tweaked dynamic eq tone volume etc.
Still think the Denon is the cause and it might just be handling too bright now.

Should I simply try taking it back to Frys to exchange for a replacement unit? Or go with what my current plan is which is to search for alternatives?

Any help pointing out the direct comparisons of the X3500 and the likes of a Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha will be so much appreciated.

Additionally,
Just got done with another Magnolia Best Buy demo, this time not speaker comparisons demo, but receivers.
The sales dude was switching between what he was explaining as "Class D" (Yamaha/Pioneer/Marantz/Denon) vs "Class A/B" (Arcam) vs "Class A" (Mctintosh) and I immediately noticed very prominent differences in sound quality. Obviously cost scales respectively.

That being said, any chance anyone could advise me further on choice of receiver? I do know my budget and also my needs and wants, definitely not needing now to go that high end.
Basically want all that gimmicky "Class D" features like wifi bluetooth alexa/Google assistant stuff with atmos and Dolby vision etc.

Thanks if you read all the way here appreciate you lots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I have a Denon x4400h and don't experience any of the issues you mentioned. I did initially feel that things didn't sound quite right until I got the Audyssey calibration perfected (I don't use dynamic eq or dynamic volume, as I don't like the way it alters the sound). Also, what speakers are you using? You might need more neutral/warm speakers than what you have to get the sound you are looking for. Here's the link to the post I made about how I got my Audyssey sounding the best for my setup, maybe it can help you as well.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...positions.html
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Does this unit support the Audyssey app?

If so, try stopping the equalization at 300 - 500 Hz.

EQ sometimes does more harm than good at higher freq.

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Sales dude from Magnolia did not explain properly, the last class D receivers there would have been the Pioneer and Onkyo from maybe 2015ish?? Almost all name brand receivers now (under $2k) are class a/b.

NAD, Arcam and McIntosh are very nice receivers with excellent power supplies and exceptional room correction software. They do cost more than the mid-level stuff from Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer and you will hear a difference in their sound signatures. However, the Denon x3500 is a very nice receiver and the xt32 room correction is one of, if not the best available under $1k so the receiver is bad or you have another issue?

What speakers do you have? What about a sub?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 2523
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlup

While it has been amazing, especially with the Audessy XT32 stuff, I am unable to shake off that it's just no right for us, my wife too is starting to also mention that she might be feeling uneasy too whenever we're watching TV since getting this X3500. For the past week I have even had a persistent mild headache, we don't listen any higher than 50%, calibrated 3 runs now, reset to factory defaults and reran again, and tweaked dynamic eq tone volume etc.
Still think the Denon is the cause and it might just be handling too bright now. …
It doesn't make sense to me that a Denon receiver could cause headaches and uneasiness, with Audyssey either on or off, and especially at relatively low volumes. Nevertheless, IMO Yamaha would be a good alternative.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21446 Post(s)
Liked: 11529
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlup View Post
After running Audyssey, Volume = 50 shouldn't be much louder than conversation level.

Have you reviewed the Audyssey FAQ thread to ensure you are placing the mic correctly (eg. supported by a mic stand and not held in your hand or placed on pillows or a box)?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html

Use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android, $20) to run Audyssey and then limit the EQ to only 500Hz.

If still no joy, then exchange it if you believe the issue is being caused by the AVR. Try a different brand.

https://www.excedrin.com/headaches/c...ache-triggers/

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 04-16-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Odd, this should be a interesting read. I would lean more towards your speakers being to bright or harsh.

Carry on...

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just FYI, "Class A, A/B, D" refers to the amplification type. Nothing to do with WiFi, Bluetooth, Atmos, etc. or any other features the AVR might or might not have. That said, I've never personally been a Denon fan. The ones I've owned always sounded too sterile, too mechanical to me. I've owned a couple Yamaha's and was happy with those. Maybe check out the Aventage RX-A780 or RX-A880.

Did you end up going with the B&W M1's? Or are you still using the SVS Prime Elevations? How do you have them placed? I've sometimes found with calibration software like Audyssey, MCACC, ARC, etc., if the speakers aren't placed properly to start with, the calibration will produce some wonky results, often times resulting in an EQ that is way too bright. When you're doing your calibration make sure the speaker tweeters are aimed toward your main listening position and make sure the calibration mic is placed at approximately the same height as the tweeters. You should be using something like a camera tripod to hold the mic and moving that around from position to position.

Projector: Epson 5040UB | Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 for Mains, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 for Center and Surrounds, Emotiva A-700 for Front/Rear Atmos | 5.2.4 Speaker Setup: Martin Logan Motion 60XT L/R, Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center, 4 B&W M1 Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page