Do all receivers from the same line sound the same? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By eriksells916
  • 1 Post By willieconway
  • 2 Post By M Code

post #1 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do all receivers from the same line sound the same?

Do all receivers from the same line sound the same? I'm not talking about the number of speakers supported but the audio quality. For example does a Yamaha RX-V385BL sound the same as the Yamaha RX-V685BL? From my experience, not all receivers sound the same even when using the same speakers but is this true as well amongst receivers from the same line of a certain brand?

Last edited by Dave3000; 04-15-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 79
If you are not using any room correction software, I bet the lower end models of each brand have a similar sound signature. Now if your question really is, do I need to spend $600 on the v685 or can I get away with the v385? I think the answer is yes. Unless you have 4ohm speakers or need dual hdmi out, need more than 5 channels or like to wake the neighbors, you should be fine with a v385!

I have old Integra gear with a 3.0 setup, so thats just my $.02.
18Hurts likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
If you are not using any room correction software, I bet the lower end models of each brand have a similar sound signature. Now if your question really is, do I need to spend $600 on the v685 or can I get away with the v385? I think the answer is yes. Unless you have 4ohm speakers or need dual hdmi out, need more than 5 channels or like to wake the neighbors, you should be fine with a v385!

I have old Integra gear with a 3.0 setup, so thats just my $.02.

I tried a Denon AVR-S740H and I noticed better audio quality through my Polk T15's than with the Yamaha RX-V385. The Denon seemed fuller sounding to me whereas the Yamaha seemed more hollow sounding and a little harsh on the treble to me. No room correction was done on either receiver. However, that Denon was two models higher than the lowest end Denon (AVR-S540H) of that series whereas the Yamaha one was the lowest end one from the series. Is the Denon AVR-S740H is still considered low end for an AV receiver? Also if I didn't like the sound quality of the RX-V385 then I won't like the sound quality of the RX-V685?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3000 View Post
I tried a Denon AVR-S740H and I noticed better audio quality through my Polk T15's than with the Yamaha RX-V385. The Denon seemed fuller sounding to me whereas the Yamaha seemed more hollow sounding and a little harsh on the treble to me. No room correction was done on either receiver. However, that Denon was two models higher than the lowest end Denon (AVR-S540H) of that series whereas the Yamaha one was the lowest end one from the series. Is the Denon AVR-S740H is still considered low end for an AV receiver? Also if I didn't like the sound quality of the RX-V385 then I won't like the sound quality of the RX-V685?
With Polk T15s you really shouldn't be worrying about receivers.
eriksells916 likes this.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #5 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Dave yea the denon s740 is a step up from the 385 and should sound similar to the 685. As @willieconway pointed out, the t15 speakers are very basic and will not sound great even if you got a $2k receiver. If you like what you hear then keep the 740, its a good receiver. However, if you want to step up the sound a bit then start with better speakers. You can build some c-notes ($100) or go over to the speaker forum and browse there for awhile, you will see there are plenty of really good speakers on a budget that will blow the t15 away. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/

Good luck!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
With Polk T15s you really shouldn't be worrying about receivers.

Well I still noticed the difference.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
Dave yea the denon s740 is a step up from the 385 and should sound similar to the 685. As @willieconway pointed out, the t15 speakers are very basic and will not sound great even if you got a $2k receiver. If you like what you hear then keep the 740, its a good receiver. However, if you want to step up the sound a bit then start with better speakers. You can build some c-notes ($100) or go over to the speaker forum and browse there for awhile, you will see there are plenty of really good speakers on a budget that will blow the t15 away. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/

Good luck!

Well I had the Polk S15's but I returned those. They were just too big for my space and I wasn't letting them breath enough to get optimum sound, at least that is what I was told here. The T15's seem like a more approraite size for my limited space in my bedroom and actually I think that they sounded a little better than the S15's with the Yamaha 385 to my ears but maybe that's because I was not giving the S15's enough breathing room due to space limitations. To my ears, the S15's had a more cheery tone to them whereas the T15's had a more neutral tone to them with the Yamaha 385. This is not in a family room or living room. Maybe the results would have been different if I tested the S15's on a higher end receiver, I don't know.

Last edited by Dave3000; 04-16-2019 at 06:39 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Hi Dave3000,

My wife and I did a comparison test about 10-12 years ago between an Outlaw pre-pro and a Rotel pre-pro. Swapped them around in our home theater with different amps, and later, did the same in our media room. Nothing scientific, just for fun because we owned them both and wondered if we would really tell the difference. We typically play around 65-70 dBs. We found the Rotel pre-pro consistently sounded more pleasing to us no matter what configuration we used, and whether we were playing music or a movie. Of course, the Rotel cost over twice as much as the Outlaw, so we couldn't say we were too surprised.

A couple of years ago I did a similar test with the Marantz AV8801 pre-pro and the Yamaha RX-A3040 receiver. I used separate amps to power the speakers, so the Yamaha was effectively functioning as a pre-pro. For music the AV8801 was hands down better in our minds. For movies, the difference was much closer...much, much closer than we would have thought since the Marantz costed almost twice as much (both 2014 equipment). We could only tell there was a difference as we A/B'd them and listened carefully. No walking blind into the room and saying correctly "oh, you have the Marantz (or Yamaha) on" like we could do when playing music. LOL, one time we watch a TV movie and were surprised it was the Yamaha playing it .

I found out later when talking to a professional calibrator that he believes that off-loading the front speakers (at the minimum) to separate amps are one of the most important things that could be done to improve sound quality for a receiver,

Hope this helps.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
I wasn't being snarky. I've had T15s and they have zero detail. I couldn't even use them as surrounds. If better sound is your objective you'll get a much better ROI if you focus on upgrading your speakers.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 668
It is common practice by the major AVR brands to use similar output stage topologies throughout the models within a common design platform.
This allows the brand to purchase the same output devices for all models as to get the max discount..
Each model would have a slightly different, rated power supply depending upon # of channels and output power spec.
So YES I would tend to agree same models within the brands will have a similar sonic signature..

Just my $0.02...
aypues and eriksells916 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page