"OFFICIAL" 2019 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 299Likes

post #481 of 922 Old 09-04-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22773 Post(s)
Liked: 12420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Manderin View Post
I just ran Audyssey on my x3600h, but the side surrounds are now way too loud (90 degrees from my seating position) vs the rest of the speakers. Anyone else run into this before? I followed the Audyssey guide in the thread pinned at the top of the forum.
'
If this is true for all sources, you have the ability to go into Manual Setup and adjust the speaker/sub volume levels to suit your preference; otherwise, if for only one or two sources, than you can select OPTION - CHANNEL LEVEL ADJUST - SURROUND BACK for each source you feel this applies to.
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 922 Old 09-04-2019, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thinking about buying a second amp to get 11 channels but a bit leery - How difficult is it to get the set of speakers balanced with the others? Like I plan to plug 1 set of atmos speakers to it but how hard would it be to balance it with the other two? It looks like just a knob is the way you adjust it.
post #483 of 922 Old 09-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 4909 Post(s)
Liked: 5291
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqzitara View Post
Thinking about buying a second amp to get 11 channels but a bit leery - How difficult is it to get the set of speakers balanced with the others? Like I plan to plug 1 set of atmos speakers to it but how hard would it be to balance it with the other two? It looks like just a knob is the way you adjust it.
If it was that big of a deal don't you think you'd hear about it?

The external amp doesn't need volume control, the AVR is controlling the individual speaker levels and overall volume. It's literally no more difficult than using the internal amps, just run Audyssey and it does it for you.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 922 Old 09-04-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
If it was that big of a deal don't you think you'd hear about it?

The external amp doesn't need volume control, the AVR is controlling the individual speaker levels and overall volume. It's literally no more difficult than using the internal amps, just run Audyssey and it does it for you.
Thanks, I just saw the cheap looking volume knob and it seemed really off. I thought it would be feeding electricity based on volume but I guess I misread that.
post #485 of 922 Old 09-04-2019, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you reviewed post 8?
post #486 of 922 Old 09-05-2019, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Hola:

Forgive me as this has likely been addressed on units with airplay 2...

Seeing the new appletvs have dumped an optical output...and assuming I cannot overlay the hdmi audio of one imput over another- even 2 channel- can one use the airplay 2 audio of the AVR (say a 1600) and overlay that onto an hdmi input? Useful of course for those want to watch a ballgame and listen to music.

I am assuming not- and as mentioned; I’m also assuming we have not yet reached the point where we can overlay the hdmi audio of one input over another...been a while since I have stayed completely on top of such items.

I may be missing how airplay 2 works as well- not sure if the avr “automatically” switches as an airplay source when selected or it it’s on the selectable “input” side of things.

Guess I’ve been oddly contented for a time and niot following such things, lol.

Thanks
James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Last edited by mastermaybe; 09-05-2019 at 12:29 AM.
post #487 of 922 Old 09-05-2019, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Hola:

Forgive me as this has likely been addressed on units with airplay 2...

Seeing the new appletvs have dumped an optical output...and assuming I cannot overlay the hdmi audio of one imput over another- even 2 channel- can one use the airplay 2 audio of the AVR (say a 1600) and overlay that onto an hdmi input? Useful of course for those want to watch a ballgame and listen to music.

I am assuming not- and as mentioned; I’m also assuming we have not yet reached the point where we can overlay the hdmi audio of one input over another...been a while since I have stayed completely on top of such items.

I may be missing how airplay 2 works as well- not sure if the avr “automatically” switches as an airplay source when selected or it it’s on the selectable “input” side of things.

Guess I’ve been oddly contented for a time and niot following such things, lol.

Thanks
James
Although the former (HDMI over HDMI) is still not possible, the <Video Select> feature (HDMI video w/Network audio to include Airplay) has been around since 2013.
post #488 of 922 Old 09-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I just saw the cheap looking volume knob and it seemed really off. I thought it would be feeding electricity based on volume but I guess I misread that.
What amp specifically are you looking at? Most dedicated amps don't have volume knobs, just a fixed gain.

A "volume knob" on an amplifier would actually be a gain knob -- it's just there to attenuate the input signal (if needed) to get the voltage within the right area that the amplifier will produce the desired levels. If it's there, it's a "set and forget' thing where once the gain is in the right place you never touch it again.
Madmax67 likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #489 of 922 Old 09-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
What amp specifically are you looking at? Most dedicated amps don't have volume knobs, just a fixed gain.

A "volume knob" on an amplifier would actually be a gain knob -- it's just there to attenuate the input signal (if needed) to get the voltage within the right area that the amplifier will produce the desired levels. If it's there, it's a "set and forget' thing where once the gain is in the right place you never touch it again.
Didn't buy it yet - was looking at an auction and considering it.
AudioSource Amp 100

Still on the fence if its okay to buy a used one and plug into a new speakers + $1000 denon 2019 - A bit afraid of something being wrong with it. I read instructions according to post 6 or 8. It said to leave it at 80%

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-05-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #490 of 922 Old 09-05-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Didn't buy it yet - was looking at an auction and considering it.
AudioSource Amp 100

Still on the fence if its okay to buy a used one and plug into a new speakers + $1000 denon 2019 - A bit afraid of something being wrong with it. I read instructions according to post 6 or 8. It said to leave it at 80%
OK that amp will be just fine. The volume knob is because this amp is primarily used for audio distribution not home theater, so it's convenient to have to set the levels properly. But like I said, for home theater it will be a "set and forget" situation.

The 80% recommendation is for people using an old receiver as an amplifier. With a dedicated amplifier you'll just set it where you need to set it so the speakers output approximately 75dB on the test tones.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #491 of 922 Old 09-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
OK that amp will be just fine. The volume knob is because this amp is primarily used for audio distribution not home theater, so it's convenient to have to set the levels properly. But like I said, for home theater it will be a "set and forget" situation.

The 80% recommendation is for people using an old receiver as an amplifier. With a dedicated amplifier you'll just set it where you need to set it so the speakers output approximately 75dB on the test tones.
Oh, its like the same as the subwoofer test? Thats no big deal - was kind of afraid of something where I had to play it by ear. Always feel like something is off then.
post #492 of 922 Old 09-06-2019, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,

I just got my 750H today and testing a bit but there are some issues I wanted help or understanding.

When I am using my XBOX One X or PS4 Pro, I am always seeing Multi in. I used My xbox to play NETFLIX on ATMOS movies but they are all showing Multi in instead of ATMOS, Is there a config I need to set and force it to ATMOS?

If i directly instead an ATMOS or DTS:X disc it into both systems it does display them, my only problem is playing Streaming contents using XBOX is not allowing to display ATMOS.

Additional, the input signal is detected as below:

Multi Ch In
PCM

Last edited by shyko; 09-06-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #493 of 922 Old 09-06-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyko View Post
Hi All,

I just got my 750H today and testing a bit but there are some issues I wanted help or understanding.

When I am using my XBOX One X or PS4 Pro, I am always seeing Multi in. I used My xbox to play NETFLIX on ATMOS movies but they are all showing Multi in instead of ATMOS, Is there a config I need to set and force it to ATMOS?

If i directly instead an ATMOS or DTS:X disc it into both systems it does display them, my only problem is playing Streaming contents using XBOX is not allowing to display ATMOS.

Multi Ch In
PCM
You need to set the source device to bitstream if possible. Otherwise the audio processing is handled by the source device and not the receiver thus the PCM multi channel in that you're seeing.
dfa973 likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #494 of 922 Old 09-07-2019, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Multi Ch In
PCM
You need to set the source device to bitstream if possible. Otherwise the audio processing is handled by the source device and not the receiver thus the PCM multi channel in that you're seeing.

Hi,

Is already under bitstream, if I put a disc it does show Atmos correctly. The only problem is playing with Netflix which shows PCM somehow.
post #495 of 922 Old 09-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 251
X3600 Using Front Pre-Outs

As a follow up to the conversation we were having regarding using the X3600 as a pre-pro and configuring L/R Front Pre-Outs to disconnect the internal amps. Now that the holiday weekend is over and I'm back in town I wanted to confirm that the only way to do this is by using all 11 channels (either externally or a mixture of external & internal amps).

On the X3600 I'm running a 5.2.4 configuration and if I switch the amp configuration to 11 channels and configure the Pre-outs to Front - then I lose all Audussey settings (greyed out) even though the speakers configuration is 5.2.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioHolics.com
Front L/R channel preamp disconnect ONLY happens in a 11CH speaker configuration. If you have simply a 9.1 channel configuration (5.1.4) or less, and you want to drive front L/R speakers out of external amplifier, or L/R/C, or L/R/C/SL/SR speakers out of external 5 channel amplifiers, internal amplifiers will Not be disconnected. There is no selecting or sensing mechanism to allow that unless you activate 11.1 channel Amp Assign mode and select Front L and R for pre-outs.
I want to confirm this is correct and not a user error on my part before instructing others moving forward - but due to AudioHolics and my own testing I understand that one must use All 11 channels to disconnect the L/R Front internal amps from the L/R pre-out amps.

SCG
post #496 of 922 Old 09-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Connecting REAR SURROUND to amp instead of atmos?

I got an Audio Source 100vs
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-moF28Y...-AMP100VS.html

And I am about to hook it up to my x3600h receiver. Everywhere I read recommends that I use ATMOS and hook it up to the 100vs. I am wondering if it would be an issue to use REAR SURROUND instead. I like the idea because its close to my head and less then 4 feet from view position meanwhile atmos is like 10 feet. I also don't have to worry about not noticing the atmos isn't kicking on and matching up the 4 speakers in volume/etc. I assumed the reason for doing atmos was power reasons but I am using ALWAYS ON and just using a powerstrip where its a slave to my receiver anyways.

I use standard bookshelf Klipsch 8 ohm speakers for rear and atmos speakers that are mounted on wall are 8 ohm as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-15M.../dp/B00LMF41IY

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-07-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #497 of 922 Old 09-07-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5103 Post(s)
Liked: 7432
Quote:
Hi,

Is already under bitstream, if I put a disc it does show Atmos correctly. The only problem is playing with Netflix which shows PCM somehow.
There are two settings that both have to be correct. 1, bitstream. 2, "secondary audio" off.

The second one is sometimes used for "sound effects" when you move the highlight around the menus of a disc.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #498 of 922 Old 09-07-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 29
x3600h will not display my cable TV box.
It worked for a few weeks, when the stars were aligned, but not now.
I have bought new premium cables, switched to different HDMI input slots, turned equipment on and off in different sequences. Now, the last 2 efforts, it will operate for maybe a minute and them go blank and quiet.

This cable box worked just fine with the 5yo Anthem receiver it replaced. Only difference is the Denon.
Whats my answer? Who do I call? How do I fix this? Is my unit broken? An AVR that will not operate by simply plugging in the source. Can you tell I'm fed up? Oh, and will somebody tell me the score of the game I am not watching?

Thx for any guidance.

Last edited by smile; 09-08-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #499 of 922 Old 09-07-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy-99 View Post
As a follow up to the conversation we were having regarding using the X3600 as a pre-pro and configuring L/R Front Pre-Outs to disconnect the internal amps. Now that the holiday weekend is over and I'm back in town I wanted to confirm that the only way to do this is by using all 11 channels (either externally or a mixture of external & internal amps).

On the X3600 I'm running a 5.2.4 configuration and if I switch the amp configuration to 11 channels and configure the Pre-outs to Front - then I lose all Audussey settings (greyed out) even though the speakers configuration is 5.2.4.

I want to confirm this is correct and not a user error on my part before instructing others moving forward - but due to AudioHolics and my own testing I understand that one must use All 11 channels to disconnect the L/R Front internal amps from the L/R pre-out amps.
This is correct. Also anytime you change an amp assign setting Audyssey will need to be rerun. There's not much sleep to be lost over this amp disconnected or not disconnected thing. If you run an 11 channels setup and externally amplify the mains it's a minor benefit spec wise. If not no big deal.
dfa973 likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #500 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
x3600h will not display my cable TV box.
It worked for a few weeks, when the stars were aligned, but not now.
I have bought new premium cables, switched to different HDMI input slots, turned equipment on and off in different sequences. Now, the last 2 efforts, it will operate for maybe a minute and them go blank and quiet.

This cable box worked just fine with the 5yo Anthem receiver it replaced. Only difference is the Denon.
Whats my answer? Who do I call? How do I fix this? Is my unit broken or is it just a piece of shxt equipment? An AVR that will not operate by simply plugging in the source. Can you tell I'm fed up? Oh, and will somebody tell me the score of the game I am not watching?

Thx for any guidance.
The difference to concentrate on is the 3 weeks the Denon was working fine not necessarily the receiver swap. Start with checking settings in the cable box then check settings in the receiver. Cable changes are usually meant for no passthrough from the beginning rather than after almost a month of having no passthrough issues and no bandwidth changes. Yes, HDMI cables can go bad but that's very rare so unless your passing through higher bitrate content than before I'd start with preset settings in both the box and the receiver. HDMI standard/enhanced settings etc..

post #501 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon x3600h help

I have the denon x3600h and an audiosource AMP100vs and cant seem to get the amp to trigger in via rca cable. What am I doing wrong. I thought I could do it without the actual trigger cable. Both brand new items so I need help please
post #502 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 576
You could,but your rear surrounds are so close, it's not really a good use of your amplifier. Remember the closer the speaker is to you, the less power you need to drive it to a particular volume.

Typically Atmos speakers are further away and thus need more power to drive. Of course, if this is the only amp in your system, you would be best off using it on the left and right front mains where most of the sound comes from.
post #503 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

The AudioSource is only a 50W amp and suggested for the 2nd set of Atmos speakers as they generally will require less power than any of the floor speakers.

Note also, the X3600H is discussed in the 2019 Denon Owner's thread. Review posts 1-8 for some general helpful information.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html
post #504 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
The difference to concentrate on is the 3 weeks the Denon was working fine not necessarily the receiver swap. Start with checking settings in the cable box then check settings in the receiver. Cable changes are usually meant for no passthrough from the beginning rather than after almost a month of having no passthrough issues and no bandwidth changes. Yes, HDMI cables can go bad but that's very rare so unless your passing through higher bitrate content than before I'd start with preset settings in both the box and the receiver. HDMI standard/enhanced settings etc..

The Denon never worked fine. There are posts from me several weeks back. I originally would turn all off, change the HDMI input a few times and it would work. Someone suggested new cables, which I bought and tried. The Anthem worked for years. I buy a new Denon and drop it in, and I get this.
There are no meaningful options in the cable box settings I can access. I have tried 3 different cables, to include 2 new premium ones.
Now, it turns on, works for 30 seconds, then I lose picture and sound. One occasion last night it worked for 10 minutes; I turned off only the TV and went to bed. Turned only the TV back on this morning and it worked for 30 seconds before it disappeared. This is different behavior than originally, but it has never operated properly.
post #505 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
The Denon never worked fine. There are posts from me several weeks back. I originally would turn all off, change the HDMI input a few times and it would work. Someone suggested new cables, which I bought and tried. The Anthem worked for years. I buy a new Denon and drop it in, and I get this.
There are no meaningful options in the cable box settings I can access. I have tried 3 different cables, to include 2 new premium ones.
Now, it turns on, works for 30 seconds, then I lose picture and sound. One occasion last night it worked for 10 minutes; I turned off only the TV and went to bed. Turned only the TV back on this morning and it worked for 30 seconds before it disappeared. This is different behavior than originally, but it has never operated properly.
Have you tried plugging the cable box directly into the tv to see if the same thing happens? I understand it worked fine with your old AVR, but you've been moving stuff around. It is possible that your cable box or tv was about to go bad, and a little extra jostling pushed one of them over the edge. I've had that happen before.

With my current setup I also had a an issue at first where everything would turn off after 10 minutes. It had to do with my Shield box. When I turned on the tv, it would wake up the Shield box. If I wasn't using the Shield box it would go to sleep after 10 minutes and send a signal via CEC for my AVR and tv to turn off too. Took a while to figure that one out, but was easy to fix once I did. So if you have anything else plugged into your AVR or tv, also try unplugging those to see if that has any effect.
Madmax67 likes this.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #506 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Hi All,

Multi Ch In
PCM
When you play a game/Netflix with the Xbox One that has Atmos, it's using PCM/Dolby MAT 2.0 for this....otherwise known as "lossy" Atmos. That is why you see PCM(Atmos data overlayed onto the PCM). When you play a Blu-ray you're seeing Atmos -TrueHD because it's the lossless audio coming from the disc.

It's two totally different versions of Atmos... Lossy vs Lossless . Dolby MAT 2.0 vs TrueHD
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by two_tonn; 09-08-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #507 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2415 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
I'm not familiar with the 3600.

I have a 4300. The allowed speaker pairs that do not use the internal amps are either the LR fronts or the rear heights. If the 3600 is the same, what you ask is unavailable. That assumes that you want 11 channels using only the 3600 and an external stereo amp.
post #508 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2415 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
Stupid question, probably:

The AMP100VS has a mode switch on the back with three settings: trigger, auto on, and normal. I believe that you want auto on. (I don't own the amp. I have its AD1002 Class D cousin, although I'm not using it any more.)

I prefer the trigger cable. It has a 3.5 mm male mono plug at each end. You don't need to buy a cable that is advertised as a trigger cable, as long as it has the right plugs.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #509 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
Have you tried plugging the cable box directly into the tv to see if the same thing happens? I understand it worked fine with your old AVR, but you've been moving stuff around. It is possible that your cable box or tv was about to go bad, and a little extra jostling pushed one of them over the edge. I've had that happen before.

With my current setup I also had a an issue at first where everything would turn off after 10 minutes. It had to do with my Shield box. When I turned on the tv, it would wake up the Shield box. If I wasn't using the Shield box it would go to sleep after 10 minutes and send a signal via CEC for my AVR and tv to turn off too. Took a while to figure that one out, but was easy to fix once I did. So if you have anything else plugged into your AVR or tv, also try unplugging those to see if that has any effect.

Good advice, thank you very much. I removed all inputs and the trigger, excepting the Cable box. Now seems to be working fine. Something screwy with the ROKU remote signal, as well or in addition.
post #510 of 922 Old 09-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Good advice, thank you very much. I removed all inputs and the trigger, excepting the Cable box. Now seems to be working fine. Something screwy with the ROKU remote signal, as well or in addition.
If it is the Roku causing the problem, on the Roku you can go to Settings > System > Control Other Devices >
Should be something there you can change that should stop it.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page