"OFFICIAL" 2019 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 344Likes

post #961 of 1031 Old 12-01-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2307 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
The first agent I spoke with was very sympathetic and nice and tried to get me a prepaid shipping label. The supervisor was not nice at all and could care less about me or my issue only their policy. Note that me mentioning that I was going to post the results of my call on this forum was considered a threat":
Ok. Best to ask for a one time exception over and over again but I get that you were trying to leverage an unhelpful supervisor. In retail they say unless you're told no 3 times in a row that's not a real no. I applied that to when I was the customer.

Quote:
It was not a threat. I requested that they should pay shipping due to the fact that it is under 90 days. I've worked at a call center for many years in the past and I know it's better to be nice about it, but I didn't sugar coat it once a supervisor told me that it doesn't matter when it happens that is their policy.
Under 30 days most can try to go back to the original vendor and get some help that way. Even at 90 days I still don't think a one time exception pre paid label is out of the ordinary as far as an ask but that's just me.

Quote:
I understand policy, but their policy is not a good one when it fails under 90 days...a year sure, but 90 days they should ship me a new one and have me ship the old one back in the same package.
Yeah, no large company is ever going to do that. I received a broken speaker a while back from a large speaker manufacture and I had to ship it back then wait 2 weeks or longer on my credit back then had to reorder a new one. They had to inspect it and make sure I didn't switch the speaker out for something else and verify everything at the warehouse yada yada yada. That's just the way it is no matter what the name on the product.

Quote:
That would be a company that stands behind their product and knows good customer service. If I went their route I would be out of a receiver for about a month (assuming a week back and forth and then a week for service) and out around $50 for shipping. That's horrible customer service for something brand new.
I understand your point and your frustration but any product is only brand new in a showroom or in a retail warehouse. Once it's been bought and paid for it's used. So if it went out in a year instead of 3 months then that would be good customer service or still bad? Point being no one regardless of time into a purchase likes having to pay to ship their amp or receiver to a manufacture. There are sometimes local repair shop options but not always. I was without a TV once for 2 months and I think they actually lost it and I had to rent a TV in the meantime and got reimbursed under my extended warranty before getting a credit to buy a new one. Getting any kind of warrany repair on a piece of electronics usually sucks one way or another.

Quote:
As far as Onkyo goes, they might have a similar policy, but they took care of a similar issue much differently.
If that was related to their bad HDMI board issue that they kept acting like they weren't bad and told people to pound sand for years before finally losing so much business that they then instituted a policy to backdate warranties to keep from losing even more business then yes they did handle things differently. As far as the other there ain't no might. Amplifier and reciever makes all have this exact same policy. Still should be room for exceptions IMO but exceptions have limits as well. I worked retail for a couple of decades and I've seen exceptions made and I've also seen people screaming in our face that their vehicle was only a few months out of warranty(meaning 3 plus years old) and we should just cover the repair under warranty because that's the right thing to do. Not saying you shouldn't have gotten the label but everyone wants to be an exception and everyone thinks that's the sign of good service. I still think you should have gotten some help but I'm not ready to burn Denon as a whole in effigy for simply following their written policy. Supervisor shouldn't have had an attitude though. I've had to tell people no before but I always told them in a calm professional manner. We were being paid to be nice.
Casey_Bryson and LDBetaGuy like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1031 Old 12-01-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you on Denon's side for real?
Trust me JD is on the consumers side. No one at Denon spends one second in these threads helping owners out with their questions but JD has spent over a decade doing it. I almost never sleep anymore and still can't beat him consistently to the punch responding to posts for help here and I've tried. Just for friendly competition not because I think my answers are better than his.

Quote:
Anyway there is a happy ending to this: Best Buy does care. I took it down there and within 5 minutes they gave me store credit. Thank you Alex at Best Buy he cares. He suggested I go with Pioneer and I just might.
Good job. That's why I bought my newest TV there as well. Plus an extended warranty. I dont dislike Pioneer and their MCACC room correction has gotten better at least from what I've read.

Quote:
Or... I may end up going with the X4500h and giving them one more shot but I'm very hesitant as anyone would be in my position considering the past 72hrs.
I have the X4300 myself and love it. Try not to judge a whole product line from one crotchety supervisor. That or maybe give the Pioneer a shot. I almost bought a Yamaha before reupping with another Denon. I had an Onkyo before the other Denon and a Pioneer before that but that was way back in the days of the orange backlight. Still have my Pioneer Laserdisc player in a closet somewhere.
Casey_Bryson likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 12-01-2019 at 10:25 PM.
post #963 of 1031 Old 12-02-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I have the Denon 3600 and have a problem with FM broadcast.. I don't get anything playing thru it. I don't really use it but want to know that it is there. Everything else works, the 7.2 plus 4 Atmos speakers are ok. Watched the Giants loose on surround sound. No FM yet..puzzling..Cd player works also..I will see if anyone answers my post before I call Denon support..thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1031 Old 12-02-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks for the thoughtful reply MadMax! I went ahead and upgraded to the x4500h for a little more power and breathing room. I wanted the x6500 but couldn't justify paying double the price. I almost went with the Onkyo at half the price, but surely the Denon offers better a better amp and heat management right?

After my purchase I did notice that there were two others on the BestBuy site that posted reviews with the same amp issue I had, one of which had it die in under 3 months as well.

Let's hope I fair better this round. ;-)
post #965 of 1031 Old 12-02-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6590 Post(s)
Liked: 5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
I have the Denon 3600 and have a problem with FM broadcast.. I don't get anything playing thru it. I don't really use it but want to know that it is there. Everything else works, the 7.2 plus 4 Atmos speakers are ok. Watched the Giants loose on surround sound. No FM yet..puzzling..Cd player works also..I will see if anyone answers my post before I call Denon support..thanks in advance..
Did you connect an FM antenna?
NTC likes this.
post #966 of 1031 Old 12-02-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm getting an X3600, and will be rack mounting it. However, I can't seem to find the appropriate rack mount kit. Does anyone know what the part number would be (or for an older 3500 or 3400, as they're basically the same size)?
post #967 of 1031 Old 12-02-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply MadMax! I went ahead and upgraded to the x4500h for a little more power and breathing room. I wanted the x6500 but couldn't justify paying double the price. I almost went with the Onkyo at half the price, but surely the Denon offers better a better amp and heat management right?
Good deal. That's the sweet spot to me in Denon's lineup. Has Auro 3D plus custom 2 channel settings and a 2 line display along with the added channels. I researched both the 4000 and 6000 models for like 2 years before getting my 4300H. For the difference I couldn't justify it either. Not saying the 6500 isnt a great receiver just not a better price point for the added features it offers IMO.

Quote:
After my purchase I did notice that there were two others on the BestBuy site that posted reviews with the same amp issue I had, one of which had it die in under 3 months as well.
That's strange. I've been posting here for a few years now pretty much daily and in one or 2 other home audio forums and that hasn't seemed to be a widespread issue. Denon is known to have fairly robust amps albeit limited by a single power supply like all AVR's. They also have protection circuits for heat. My older Denon 2805 lasted me almost 12 years running pretty much 24/7 as I never turned it off much in that time. I use the 4300 more though because I'm out of the retail rat race. I have minimal open air ventilation above but fully open on both sides and 50/50 on the back. Stays pretty cool but I don't have an IR gun to actually check temp other than by hand.

Quote:
Let's hope I fair better this round. ;-)
No guarantees in life according to my movie hero Tommy Boy but I think you'll be fine this go around.

post #968 of 1031 Old 12-03-2019, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurcoop View Post

For my specific use case of a 4K TV and a 1080p projector, the HDFury is not really needed if you are willing to put up with a minor inconvenience, i.e. changing the AVR output to Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 depending on what you want to watch. The other monitor may be connected, and even switched on, it doesnt matter. The AVR will respect the resolution of the Monitor to which you have directed its output. So, if the 4K TV is Monitor 1, you are playing a 4K Blu-ray and the output is Monitor 1, you will get 4K HDR on the TV even if the projector is connected to Monitor 2 and switched on. When Dual is on, of course, it does not pass 4K HDR.

This is really useful as I'll likely be in the same situation until I pull the trigger on a 4K compatible projector.

A couple of quick clarifications:
1. If "Dual/Auto" is selected as output and one or the other outputs is completely off (i.e. projector connected but off), will the AVR still try to send 1080p to Monitor 1 (your 4K TV) no matter what?
2. I suspect the answer is no, but is there a shortcut or remote button to switching the output between Monitor 1/2/Dual setting, or would you have to do it manually trawling through the menu each time? If I could map something to my Harmony remote then it would be a total non-issue. Guessing the Zone2 remote button won't do it?
Thanks!
post #969 of 1031 Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Howdy

For the X3600H, can you not have a set of ceiling speakers be setup as Atmos speakers? It looks like under the Speakers/Amp Assign, you can assign your ceiling speakers as Height Speakers. But under the Dolby Speakers setting, as soon as you indicate 2 ch, the layout always includes the bounce/reflective atmos speaker arrangement.

Shouldn't you be able to simply assign Atmos to the ceiling speakers, without the need for getting reflective speakers as well?

Thanks for clarifying.

E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1892.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2648800   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1891.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2648802  
post #970 of 1031 Old 12-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Denon receiver and Apple TV 4k

Here is my setup:

Denon AVR-X1600h
Apple TV 4k (32 gb)
LG OLED65C8PUA
Xfinity DVR (4k version)
Harmony 650 remote

I like to use my Harmony remote for one-button access to TV, movies, etc. However, since purchasing the Denon and the 4k Apple TV, the Apple TV always takes precedence. I have programmed all my devices and setup in the Harmony remote and it worked just fine with my old Onkyo receiver and 3rd gen Apple TV but I can't get it to work properly with the Denon and the Apple 4K. When I press the TV button on the remote, the Denon goes to CBL/SAT and the TV comes on just fine, but after a few seconds, the Denon changes to "Entertainment" and the Apple TV comes on. I can get back to the CBL/SAT with the Denon remote, but this is really annoying.

I don't know if the issue is with setting on the Denon or settings on the Apple TV 4k. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

PS--I've done a lot of searching for this issue and I'm either not using the right key words or something, but I've not been able to find any definitive answers.
post #971 of 1031 Old 12-03-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 757 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22893 Post(s)
Liked: 12518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce White View Post
Here is my setup:

Denon AVR-X1600h
Apple TV 4k (32 gb)
LG OLED65C8PUA
Xfinity DVR (4k version)
Harmony 650 remote

I like to use my Harmony remote for one-button access to TV, movies, etc. However, since purchasing the Denon and the 4k Apple TV, the Apple TV always takes precedence. I have programmed all my devices and setup in the Harmony remote and it worked just fine with my old Onkyo receiver and 3rd gen Apple TV but I can't get it to work properly with the Denon and the Apple 4K. When I press the TV button on the remote, the Denon goes to CBL/SAT and the TV comes on just fine, but after a few seconds, the Denon changes to "Entertainment" and the Apple TV comes on. I can get back to the CBL/SAT with the Denon remote, but this is really annoying.

I don't know if the issue is with setting on the Denon or settings on the Apple TV 4k. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

PS--I've done a lot of searching for this issue and I'm either not using the right key words or something, but I've not been able to find any definitive answers.
Disable HDMI-CEC on the Apple TV.
gtscode and ced007 like this.
post #972 of 1031 Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kohler View Post
Howdy

For the X3600H, can you not have a set of ceiling speakers be setup as Atmos speakers? It looks like under the Speakers/Amp Assign, you can assign your ceiling speakers as Height Speakers. But under the Dolby Speakers setting, as soon as you indicate 2 ch, the layout always includes the bounce/reflective atmos speaker arrangement.

Shouldn't you be able to simply assign Atmos to the ceiling speakers, without the need for getting reflective speakers as well?

Thanks for clarifying.

E
Height speakers include those speakers that are mounted on/in the front/rear walls and ceiling (ie. above the floor speakers).

Dolby speakers are upward firing speakers that sit on top of floor front/surround/rear surround speakers and bounce the audio off the ceiling.
ced007 likes this.
post #973 of 1031 Old 12-03-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxt View Post
i'm getting an x3600, and will be rack mounting it. However, i can't seem to find the appropriate rack mount kit. Does anyone know what the part number would be (or for an older 3500 or 3400, as they're basically the same size)?
rmr3313
Madmax67 likes this.
post #974 of 1031 Old 12-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
rmr3313
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #975 of 1031 Old 12-04-2019, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Howdy

Thanks for clarifying.

E
That's my setup with the x3600H
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	x3600h.png
Views:	46
Size:	906.4 KB
ID:	2649124  
post #976 of 1031 Old 12-04-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Juul View Post
That's my setup with the x3600H
Thank you, Jd and Michal.

What I find strange is if you say Dolby Speakers None, the supported format is "Dolby Atmos," but it says "No Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers." So Atmos info is sent to the Height?

What am I not getting? I think my IQ has dropped sharply since leaving university.

Once you switch Dolby Sp to 2ch, the picture has reflective speakers. (Supported format is again "Dolby Atmos" but now it says "One pair of Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers.")

So do I infer Atmos only comes from reflective speakers?

E
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2649192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	2649194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1897.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2649196  
post #977 of 1031 Old 12-04-2019, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you, Jd and Michal.

What I find strange is if you say Dolby Speakers None, the supported format is "Dolby Atmos," but it says "No Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers." So Atmos info is sent to the Height?

What am I not getting? I think my IQ has dropped sharply since leaving university.

Once you switch Dolby Sp to 2ch, the picture has reflective speakers. (Supported format is again "Dolby Atmos" but now it says "One pair of Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers.")

So do I infer Atmos only comes from reflective speakers?

E
Any overhead speaker (ie. Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear, Front Height, Rear Height) as well as the upward firing speakers (Front Dolby, Surround Dolby, Back Dolby) are all considered to be "Atmos" speakers.
post #978 of 1031 Old 12-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked: 5336
Quote:
What I find strange is if you say Dolby Speakers None, the supported format is "Dolby Atmos," but it says "No Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers." What am I not getting?
What you are not getting is that the term "Atmos Enabled" refers SPECIFICALLY to the up-firing Atmos modules. It's a branded term used ONLY to describe the modules that are designed to reflect off the ceiling.

If you can physically place speakers above you (whether high on the walls or on the ceiling) the speakers do not need to be "Atmos Enabled", they are already above you.
elee532, Madmax67 and mrtickleuk like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #979 of 1031 Old 12-04-2019, 05:31 PM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

Picked up my X3600H today, and after setting up speakers and external inputs, the external inputs (i.e. Blu-ray, Cable box) played audio with no problem, but when I tried to use the tuner (antenna connected) or the built-in media server, I was getting no sound. I then did a firmware update, and just like that all is working fine. perhaps a reset may help you.

This receiver is distinctly different from the 53 lbs. Onkyo TX-SR876 that it is replacing, which has a warmer sound thanks to its monstrous transformers.
post #980 of 1031 Old 12-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce White View Post
Here is my setup:

Denon AVR-X1600h

Apple TV 4k (32 gb)

LG OLED65C8PUA

Xfinity DVR (4k version)

Harmony 650 remote

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

I have the exact same issue and I know that a friend of mine has the same issue I have not had a chance to figure out a resolution.

I have the same set up in another room and I’m not having the same issue so I have a feeling it has to do with an hdmi setting when I set the tv up.
post #981 of 1031 Old 12-04-2019, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtscode View Post
I have the exact same issue and I know that a friend of mine has the same issue I have not had a chance to figure out a resolution.

I have the same set up in another room and I’m not having the same issue so I have a feeling it has to do with an hdmi setting when I set the tv up.
If you look at the post immediately following the original post you quoted, I provided a possible solution.
gtscode and residentsystems like this.
post #982 of 1031 Old 12-05-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
If you look at the post immediately following the original post you quoted, I provided a possible solution.

Thanks I’ll try that.
post #983 of 1031 Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 AM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
The 2019 models (eg. X3600H) are supposed to receive a future firmware update to allow for Bluetooth wireless transmission (ETA unknown) but until then would require a 3rd party device like the 2018 and older models.

Today

HEOS firmware (1.520.400)
  • Adding of Bluetooth Headphone Support for selected Denon AVR´s (AVR-X1600H, AVR-X2600H, AVR-X2600HDAB, AVR-X3600H, DRA-800H) and Marantz AVR´s (SR5014, SR6014, NR1510, NR1710, NR1200)
  • Other bugfixes and performance improvements
gtscode likes this.
post #984 of 1031 Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
Today

HEOS firmware (1.520.400)
  • Adding of Bluetooth Headphone Support for selected Denon AVR´s (AVR-X1600H, AVR-X2600H, AVR-X2600HDAB, AVR-X3600H, DRA-800H) and Marantz AVR´s (SR5014, SR6014, NR1510, NR1710, NR1200)
  • Other bugfixes and performance improvements
Thanks for posting this.

The 2019 "S" models also received this update as well although not listed above.
NTC likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 12-05-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #985 of 1031 Old 12-05-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi - I'm a 4KTV and Denon Noob here. I ordered the AVR-X2600H online and it is due in soon. I was trying to get a jump on my installation work by pre-reading the user manual. I downloaded the PDF manual from the Denon site, and the main text of the manual appears as gibberish due to some sort of missing embedded font issue. The problem occurs on my Mac as well as my iOS devices. I downloaded the 2500H manual, and it appears OK. Two questions:

1) are the two models close enough that the 2500 manual will get me pretty close, prep-wise?

2) anyone else have this font issue? If so, were you able to resolve it, and how?

Thanks!!!
post #986 of 1031 Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Marchand View Post
Hi - I'm a 4KTV and Denon Noob here. I ordered the AVR-X2600H online and it is due in soon. I was trying to get a jump on my installation work by pre-reading the user manual. I downloaded the PDF manual from the Denon site, and the main text of the manual appears as gibberish due to some sort of missing embedded font issue. The problem occurs on my Mac as well as my iOS devices. I downloaded the 2500H manual, and it appears OK. Two questions:

1) are the two models close enough that the 2500 manual will get me pretty close, prep-wise?

2) anyone else have this font issue? If so, were you able to resolve it, and how?

Thanks!!!
1. Yup.
2. Nope. Try downloading the file again.
post #987 of 1031 Old 12-05-2019, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried downloading the 2600H manual MANY times, even tried from the Crutchfield site. Same issue every time. I will try with a PC.
post #988 of 1031 Old 12-05-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
As noted on p. 53 of the X3600H Owner' manual, you can't configure Atmos speakers as Top Front and Top Middle, rather instead you can configure them as Top Front and Top Rear.

I have my Top Front and my Top Middle configured with this amp. Hooked up 2 pairs of Micca speakers. Where did it say you can't do this?

post #989 of 1031 Old 12-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
I have my Top Front and my Top Middle configured with this amp. Hooked up 2 pairs of Micca speakers. Where did it say you can't do this?
"As noted on p. 53 of the X3600H Owner' manual"

The options are:
Front Height & Top Middle
Front Height & Top Rear
Front Height & Rear Height
Top Front & Top Rear
Top Front & Rear Height
Top Middle & Rear Height
Madmax67 likes this.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #990 of 1031 Old 12-05-2019, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Check again. Not possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page