"OFFICIAL" 2019 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 616Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 2027 Old 06-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: london ontario
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
reposting denon 950 question

@CurryStorm
reposting this from speakers if anyone has an ide that hasnt been discussed already

Polk Speakers/Denon Receiver Help
Howdy,

For my birthday, I just received 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers and a Denon ARV-S950H. This is my first receiver and speakers of this kind (been using a Vizio Soundbar for the past few years). For the past 2 days, I have tried and tried to get the speakers to work but can't get any sound out of them. I have my PS4 hooked up to the receiver. Video-wise, the PS4 runs through the receiver and is showing up fine on my Samsung TV, but I couldn't get any sound out the speakers (HDMI Arc in the receiver to the HDMI Arc in the Samsung). I did some research and found that the ARC on some Samsungs are "iffy" at best so I connected the TV to the Denon with an digital optical cable (that I know works because it was originally connected to my soundbar/Samsung). Still no sound.

I decided that maybe I messed up my speaker wire (16g with banana plugs) so I ordered speaker wire with the banana plugs already installed from Amazon to rule out any problems with the wires. Plugged the new wires into the back of the receiver and the 2 speakers and still no sound. I started from scratch and went through the initial setup again, did the speaker test where it asks you if you hear sound coming from the left speaker, etc. and still no sound. I mean nothing, nada, no humming or anything - like these speakers have an on/off button that I haven't pressed.

I have researched and tried various setup options in the Denon, but I don't see where any options would affect the speakers not working in the setup tests so I'm assuming there's something going on with the speaker/receiver connection. Maybe I'm just an idiot and am missing something simple. Do these Polks have on/off switches that I'm just not seeing or something? I'm assuming Polk speakers and Denon receivers are compatible? I'm at my whit's end and out of things that I know to try. If I have to return one or the other, I can return the Denon to Best Buy but the speakers were a gift from my Mom so they're going to have to stay (lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to hooking this stuff up so maybe I'm missing something very simple. But I've reached a level of frustration that I just need to get away from it for a bit and see if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
pgscubadiver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 2027 Old 06-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: london ontario
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
may i suggest you do a factory reset and see if that works,
is it possible you have a defective receiver? the fact that you arent getting test tones is not good.
i have a denon avr 2400. it took me by surprise when i couldnt get sound without the tv being turned on but the workaround is to power off the receiver before the tv to get sound the next time i turn it on to listen to the radio.
also, consider posting in the receiver forum!
I have tried a factory reset. I tried the speaker wire I cut myself (with banana plugs and bare wire) and am now using speaker wires with banana plugs directly from Amazon. I also make changes/try new things with it and turn the speaker off-and-on to see if that resets anything. Nothing has worked. Not a hiss or anything from the speakers. The only thing that comes out of the speakers is the slight hum you get when you put the second plug in (right when the plug touches the metal of the speaker outlet). It's possible that the receiver is a lemon, but with me never hooking a receiver up before, I just assumed it was something wrong with what I'm doing. I'm hoping someone looks at the above pictures and sees where I just forgot to do something simple. I'm not focused on getting sound to the PS4 Pro right now, I'm just trying to get the speakers to make any kind of noise in the speaker tone test. I guess I should have started this in the receiver thread but I wasn't sure what the issue was and I was pretty irritated when I started posting last night (lol). If a mod could move this entire thread over there, I wouldn't mind. Thanks for the help.
pgscubadiver is offline  
post #123 of 2027 Old 06-23-2019, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,000
Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23709 Post(s)
Liked: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgscubadiver View Post
@CurryStorm
reposting this from speakers if anyone has an ide that hasnt been discussed already

Polk Speakers/Denon Receiver Help
Howdy,

For my birthday, I just received 2 Polk Monitor 70 Series II speakers and a Denon ARV-S950H. This is my first receiver and speakers of this kind (been using a Vizio Soundbar for the past few years). For the past 2 days, I have tried and tried to get the speakers to work but can't get any sound out of them. I have my PS4 hooked up to the receiver. Video-wise, the PS4 runs through the receiver and is showing up fine on my Samsung TV, but I couldn't get any sound out the speakers (HDMI Arc in the receiver to the HDMI Arc in the Samsung). I did some research and found that the ARC on some Samsungs are "iffy" at best so I connected the TV to the Denon with an digital optical cable (that I know works because it was originally connected to my soundbar/Samsung). Still no sound.

I decided that maybe I messed up my speaker wire (16g with banana plugs) so I ordered speaker wire with the banana plugs already installed from Amazon to rule out any problems with the wires. Plugged the new wires into the back of the receiver and the 2 speakers and still no sound. I started from scratch and went through the initial setup again, did the speaker test where it asks you if you hear sound coming from the left speaker, etc. and still no sound. I mean nothing, nada, no humming or anything - like these speakers have an on/off button that I haven't pressed.

I have researched and tried various setup options in the Denon, but I don't see where any options would affect the speakers not working in the setup tests so I'm assuming there's something going on with the speaker/receiver connection. Maybe I'm just an idiot and am missing something simple. Do these Polks have on/off switches that I'm just not seeing or something? I'm assuming Polk speakers and Denon receivers are compatible? I'm at my whit's end and out of things that I know to try. If I have to return one or the other, I can return the Denon to Best Buy but the speakers were a gift from my Mom so they're going to have to stay (lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to hooking this stuff up so maybe I'm missing something very simple. But I've reached a level of frustration that I just need to get away from it for a bit and see if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Are the speakers new as well? Are the speakers connected to the Front L/R speaker posts? If you're following the Setup Assistant and still no audio, there may be an issue with the speakers. As a final check, refer to post 5 and do a microprocessor reset of the S950H. Then start the Setup Assistant again.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 2027 Old 06-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Member
 
CurryStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Are the speakers new as well? Are the speakers connected to the Front L/R speaker posts? If you're following the Setup Assistant and still no audio, there may be an issue with the speakers. As a final check, refer to post 5 and do a microprocessor reset of the S950H. Then start the Setup Assistant again.
Speakers are new and are connected to the Front R/L posts (I attached a photo showing my connections earlier). I have already done a microprocessor reset and still the same thing. I just borrowed an old speaker from my Dad and tried running that through the Setup Assistant and no sound through this speaker either.

From an earlier post when this was in another forum, I watched a video on Youtube when I was in bed last night where sometimes there are plastic pieces in the posts on the receiver that don't allow the banana plug to go all the way in. I jumped up from the bed thinking this has to be the problem, but sadly, there was nothing in the posts.
CurryStorm is offline  
post #125 of 2027 Old 06-23-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryStorm View Post
Speakers are new and are connected to the Front R/L posts (I attached a photo showing my connections earlier). I have already done a microprocessor reset and still the same thing. I just borrowed an old speaker from my Dad and tried running that through the Setup Assistant and no sound through this speaker either.



From an earlier post when this was in another forum, I watched a video on Youtube when I was in bed last night where sometimes there are plastic pieces in the posts on the receiver that don't allow the banana plug to go all the way in. I jumped up from the bed thinking this has to be the problem, but sadly, there was nothing in the posts.
Nope, those plugs were in your speakers. Did you try any of my recommends? An optical cable if available from the PS4 to the receiver? Checking your audio input settings? The optical cable to the TV isn't going to troubleshoot anything audio wise going through the receiver. That's only to bypass ARC audio issues from streaming apps actually on the TV's software with audio coming back to the receiver not through it.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #126 of 2027 Old 06-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Member
 
CurryStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Nope, those plugs were in your speakers. Did you try any of my recommends? An optical cable if available from the PS4 to the receiver? Checking your audio input settings? The optical cable to the TV isn't going to troubleshoot anything audio wise going through the receiver. That's only to bypass ARC issues from streaming apps actually on the TV's software.
I tried most of what's been listed in this thread. I originally had the PS4 connected to the receiver via the HDMI ARC. I thought maybe the ARC was bad on the TV (as I researched this issue and found that a lot of Samsungs have so-so ARC inputs). So I switched the cable to HDMI1 and then used an optical cable from the PS4 to the receiver for the audio... still nothing.

I have since done a microprocessor reset of the receiver and have not moved past the initial SPEAKER SETUP phase. So I'm not really concerning myself with the PS4 right now as I can't even get the speakers to make a noise during the speaker setup phase. I'm starting to lean towards just returning the Denon to Best Buy tomorrow. If the receiver isn't defective and it's something I'm not doing right, then I have to split the atom with this thing just to get sound to come out the speakers, it's more trouble than it's worth to me. Problem is, the only Best Buy is 30 miles away and I bought the last Denon AVR-s90h from them a few days ago. So I'll have to either get a refund and wait until next week when I can get another shipped to my house or I'll have to get a different receiver that Best Buy does have in stock. While I only have left and right front speakers now, I do want to eventually get the center, sub and satellite speakers in the very near future so I do want another 7.2 with 4k up-scaling receiver.
CurryStorm is offline  
post #127 of 2027 Old 06-23-2019, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,000
Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23709 Post(s)
Liked: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryStorm View Post
I tried most of what's been listed in this thread. I originally had the PS4 connected to the receiver via the HDMI ARC. I thought maybe the ARC was bad on the TV (as I researched this issue and found that a lot of Samsungs have so-so ARC inputs). So I switched the cable to HDMI1 and then used an optical cable from the PS4 to the receiver for the audio... still nothing.

I have since done a microprocessor reset of the receiver and have not moved past the initial SPEAKER SETUP phase. So I'm not really concerning myself with the PS4 right now as I can't even get the speakers to make a noise during the speaker setup phase. I'm starting to lean towards just returning the Denon to Best Buy tomorrow. If the receiver isn't defective and it's something I'm not doing right, then I have to split the atom with this thing just to get sound to come out the speakers, it's more trouble than it's worth to me. Problem is, the only Best Buy is 30 miles away and I bought the last Denon AVR-s90h from them a few days ago. So I'll have to either get a refund and wait until next week when I can get another shipped to my house or I'll have to get a different receiver that Best Buy does have in stock. While I only have left and right front speakers now, I do want to eventually get the center, sub and satellite speakers in the very near future so I do want another 7.2 with 4k up-scaling receiver.
Make sure the master volume of the AVR is at least 50. If still no sound, then replace the current S950H. Note the replacement doesn't need to have upscaling capability as the TV does that already so you could also go with a S750H.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #128 of 2027 Old 06-23-2019, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryStorm View Post
I tried most of what's been listed in this thread. I originally had the PS4 connected to the receiver via the HDMI ARC. I thought maybe the ARC was bad on the TV (as I researched this issue and found that a lot of Samsungs have so-so ARC inputs). So I switched the cable to HDMI1 and then used an optical cable from the PS4 to the receiver for the audio... still nothing.
Ok, got it. I read your other post to mean you ran the optical from the TV to the receiver. Did you select the opt 1 or 2 input under input settings? The HDMI should have been the default.



Quote:
I have since done a microprocessor reset of the receiver and have not moved past the initial SPEAKER SETUP phase. So I'm not really concerning myself with the PS4 right now as I can't even get the speakers to make a noise during the speaker setup phase. I'm starting to lean towards just returning the Denon to Best Buy tomorrow. If the receiver isn't defective and it's something I'm not doing right, then I have to split the atom with this thing just to get sound to come out the speakers, it's more trouble than it's worth to me. Problem is, the only Best Buy is 30 miles away and I bought the last Denon AVR-s90h from them a few days ago. So I'll have to either get a refund and wait until next week when I can get another shipped to my house or I'll have to get a different receiver that Best Buy does have in stock. While I only have left and right front speakers now, I do want to eventually get the center, sub and satellite speakers in the very near future so I do want another 7.2 with 4k up-scaling receiver.
It's definitely not the Denon's auto setup process. That's a breeze. I agree it's more than likely a bad receiver. Unfortunately that can happen with any brand ad they all have a small percentage dead out of the box. Sorry that happened. I bought my TV from Best Buy last year.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #129 of 2027 Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everybody


So I got the Denon AVR-S950H the other week and I have been toying with it every since. Everything is working great so far, except some HDMI power on issuse I cannot understand.

Currently I'm only running 3.1 setup with my Apple TV 4k and a 2013 Samsung UE7005 something TV. The Denon replaced my old Pioneer Lx-72 avr due to ARC and all the new HDMI controlls S950H has. And here is the problem.


Normally I power on my TV using "Menu" on the Apple remote. This works today as well with the Denon, but every time the screen ends up displaying the Denon logo on a black background after a few seconds of displaying the Apple TV menu, so I have to press Menu again on the remote to get back to Apple TV menu.



How can I setup the AVR so I get directly into the Apple-TV and make it stay on the Apple TV. The AVR is running on the latest firmware. I have been



Thanks for any help!
Andreas Westvik is offline  
post #130 of 2027 Old 06-25-2019, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,000
Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23709 Post(s)
Liked: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Westvik View Post
Hello everybody


So I got the Denon AVR-S950H the other week and I have been toying with it every since. Everything is working great so far, except some HDMI power on issuse I cannot understand.

Currently I'm only running 3.1 setup with my Apple TV 4k and a 2013 Samsung UE7005 something TV. The Denon replaced my old Pioneer Lx-72 avr due to ARC and all the new HDMI controlls S950H has. And here is the problem.


Normally I power on my TV using "Menu" on the Apple remote. This works today as well with the Denon, but every time the screen ends up displaying the Denon logo on a black background after a few seconds of displaying the Apple TV menu, so I have to press Menu again on the remote to get back to Apple TV menu.



How can I setup the AVR so I get directly into the Apple-TV and make it stay on the Apple TV. The AVR is running on the latest firmware. I have been



Thanks for any help!
Set <HDMI Control> to ON on the S950H and then press the HDMI source button on the Denon remote that is being used by the Apple TV (eg. MEDIA PLAYER) which will power on the AVR and select the Apple TV input at the same time.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #131 of 2027 Old 06-25-2019, 02:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Set <HDMI Control> to ON on the S950H and then press the HDMI source button on the Denon remote that is being used by the Apple TV (eg. MEDIA PLAYER) which will power on the AVR and select the Apple TV input at the same time.

Thank you for the quick reply! Well, I was planning to only have the Apple TV remote out and about. 😤 So this is my only option then?
Andreas Westvik is offline  
post #132 of 2027 Old 06-25-2019, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,000
Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23709 Post(s)
Liked: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Westvik View Post
Thank you for the quick reply! Well, I was planning to only have the Apple TV remote out and about. 😤 So this is my only option then?
No, just one option; however, although HDMI-CEC doesn't always work as desired, the AVR should remember the last source selected prior to going to standby. Yet another option is using a universal remote (eg. Harmony).
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #133 of 2027 Old 06-25-2019, 03:13 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No, just one option; however, although HDMI-CEC doesn't always work as desired, the AVR should remember the last source selected prior to going to standby. Yet another option is using a universal remote (eg. Harmony).

Yeah that's not happening any time soon. So then I need to connect the ATV directly to the TV and optical back to the AVR and have the AVR power on the whole time then.
Andreas Westvik is offline  
post #134 of 2027 Old 06-26-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dfa973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: EU
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Not confirmed, but most likely all 2020 models will be released as HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3.
JD, in light of the tier change for X3600H series from 7.2ch to 9.2ch and since the future X4600H (2020) model has very few features left in its advantage (metal front panel, metal door, dual-row display, slightly more powerful amps, slightly different remote, Auro-3D/Auromatic) do you think that Denon will split the 2020 receivers based on HDMI version, such as:

"Classic" HDMI 2.0b+eARC+ALLM+HDCP2.3 2020 models:
- S560BT -5.2ch
- S660H - 5.2ch
- S760H - 7.2ch
- S960H - 7.2ch
- X1700H - 7.2ch
- X2700H - 7.2ch
- X3700H - cheaper 9.2ch

"Premium" full HDMI 2.1 2020 models:
- X4600H - premium 9.2ch
- X6600H - premium 11.2ch
- X8600HA - premium 13.2ch

Because, without the enhanced HDMI version, the X4600H will not offer much to convince a consumer over the X3700H...

Last edited by dfa973; 06-26-2019 at 06:14 AM.
dfa973 is offline  
post #135 of 2027 Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,000
Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23709 Post(s)
Liked: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
JD, in light of the tier change for X3600H series from 7.2ch to 9.2ch and since the future X4600H (2020) model has very few features left in its advantage (metal front panel, metal door, dual-row display, slightly more powerful amps, slightly different remote, Auro-3D/Auromatic) do you think that Denon will split the 2020 receivers based on HDMI version, such as:

"Classic" HDMI 2.0b+eARC+ALLM+HDCP2.3 2020 models:
- S560BT -5.2ch
- S660H - 5.2ch
- S760H - 7.2ch
- S960H - 7.2ch
- X1700H - 7.2ch
- X2700H - 7.2ch
- X3700H - cheaper 9.2ch

"Premium" full HDMI 2.1 2020 models:
- X4600H - premium 9.2ch
- X6600H - premium 11.2ch
- X8600HA - premium 13.2ch

Because, without the enhanced HDMI version, the X4600H will not offer much to convince a consumer over the X3700H...
Although it's certainly possible, I believe all models will be released as HDMI 2.1. Keep in mind, the Marantz sister models (ie. SR6000/SR7000) series have had similar features and both 9CH models for a few years now. It's only now in 2019 that the Denon lower model has caught up.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #136 of 2027 Old 06-26-2019, 10:17 AM
3JL
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure whether already known and trustworthy, but according to Amazon, the x3600h is coming July 15th.

Can’t post links, so you will have to Google yourselves
3JL is offline  
post #137 of 2027 Old 06-26-2019, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,000
Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23709 Post(s)
Liked: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JL View Post
Not sure whether already known and trustworthy, but according to Amazon, the x3600h is coming July 15th.

Can’t post links, so you will have to Google yourselves
The X3X00 models have been released in July for the past few years and has been listed with a July release date in post 1.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #138 of 2027 Old 06-28-2019, 07:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
upgrade

Hello,
First time poster here. I have an AVR 5803A with Mythos 1's for main LR, 3 for center and Gems for rears along with a sunfire Jr for sub. I use it for movies and SACD music. My denon 2900 died so i purchased a Sony X800 for bluray/ SACD, but with the new Beatles 5.1 Blu ray audio disc's I need to upgrade the AVR. Should i go with the X4500H or should i wait for the new Denons? I really love the power of the 5803a and was thinking of using the X4500H as a Pre and using the power of the 5803A depending how it sounds. I will also be upgrading my TV next year to either a 4K or 8K unit and i am not sure i want to wait for eARC?
[email protected] is offline  
post #139 of 2027 Old 06-28-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,000
Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23709 Post(s)
Liked: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello,
First time poster here. I have an AVR 5803A with Mythos 1's for main LR, 3 for center and Gems for rears along with a sunfire Jr for sub. I use it for movies and SACD music. My denon 2900 died so i purchased a Sony X800 for bluray/ SACD, but with the new Beatles 5.1 Blu ray audio disc's I need to upgrade the AVR. Should i go with the X4500H or should i wait for the new Denons? I really love the power of the 5803a and was thinking of using the X4500H as a Pre and using the power of the 5803A depending how it sounds. I will also be upgrading my TV next year to either a 4K or 8K unit and i am not sure i want to wait for eARC?
The X4500H is a 2018 model that will not be replaced this year. Please repost in the 2018 Denon AVR Owner's thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #140 of 2027 Old 06-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AVR-S950H compared to old AVR-2310CI

I bought a new (2019 Samsung Q7DR) TV and my current receiver is the Denon AVR-2310CI. It still works, but I'm looking at getting the AVR-S950H to upgrade it. Good choice? The 950 has less power (90W vs 105W per channel). Is this this a noticeable difference? We normally have the 2310 set at about -20db for our 5.1 setup. We use the extra channels on a patio. Maybe the S750H is even enough? Last alternative I see as a good, but older choice, is the AVRX3400H that's being cleared out for less than 500 bucks. Seems like a newer model is a better choice though. Thoughts?

Scott
Scott Kopper is offline  
post #141 of 2027 Old 06-29-2019, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Struggling with 3600 vs 4500 myself. Looking at this summer so 4700 not an option.
Johnson-from-Arizona is offline  
post #142 of 2027 Old 06-30-2019, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,000
Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23709 Post(s)
Liked: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kopper View Post
I bought a new (2019 Samsung Q7DR) TV and my current receiver is the Denon AVR-2310CI. It still works, but I'm looking at getting the AVR-S950H to upgrade it. Good choice? The 950 has less power (90W vs 105W per channel). Is this this a noticeable difference? We normally have the 2310 set at about -20db for our 5.1 setup. We use the extra channels on a patio. Maybe the S750H is even enough? Last alternative I see as a good, but older choice, is the AVRX3400H that's being cleared out for less than 500 bucks. Seems like a newer model is a better choice though. Thoughts?

Scott
Power difference between the models will be moot for your use case. Consider the features you want and select the model that provides them (review post 1 of each of the 2018 and this thread for features). The "S" models use the same Audyssey MultEQ version as does the 2310CI; however, the X3400H uses the most advanced version, MultEQ XT32. So if you're satisfied with the audio quality of the 2310CI, and the S750H meets your feature requirements, no reason to step up to the S950H.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #143 of 2027 Old 07-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
LDBetaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 227
ARC Is Off. Why Is eARC Working?

I have a Denon AVR-S750H and a Sony 950G TV. The TV has a menu setting to automatically detect if it is connected to an eARC compatible receiver. I have that setting turned on. Originally, I had also turned on the ARC setting on the Denon. I mostly worked OK, but I had to keep fiddling with lip sync delays and the occasional loss of audio when switching sources.

After going back to using just the optical output of the Denon for a while, I decided to experiment some more with the eARC feature. Unintentionally, I did not turn on the ARC setting on the Denon, but the eARC setting on the TV remained on. eARC seems to be working in spite of the fact that it is not selected in the Denon menu. I'm also haven't had any lip sync or audio drop out problems. I'm sure there's something I don't understand here, but why is this working? I always thought that ARC needed to be on in the Denon as well as on the TV.
LDBetaGuy is offline  
post #144 of 2027 Old 07-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Baff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dark Side of the Earth
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I have a Denon AVR-S750H...
Unintentionally, I did not turn on the ARC setting on the Denon, but the eARC setting on the TV remained on. eARC seems to be working in spite of the fact that it is not selected in the Denon menu. I'm also haven't had any lip sync or audio drop out problems. I'm sure there's something I don't understand here, but why is this working? I always thought that ARC needed to be on in the Denon as well as on the TV.
Properly implemented, eARC should not be dependent upon ARC or CEC (HDMI Control). It is not a subset of ARC, though some manufacturers have made the mistake of treating it as such. There are some issues with the 2017 Denon eARC implementation, but they seem to have gotten it right with the 2018/19 AVRs.
LDBetaGuy and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2

Last edited by Baff; 07-01-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Baff is online now  
post #145 of 2027 Old 07-01-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I have a Denon AVR-S750H and a Sony 950G TV. The TV has a menu setting to automatically detect if it is connected to an eARC compatible receiver. I have that setting turned on. Originally, I had also turned on the ARC setting on the Denon. I mostly worked OK, but I had to keep fiddling with lip sync delays and the occasional loss of audio when switching sources.



After going back to using just the optical output of the Denon for a while, I decided to experiment some more with the eARC feature. Unintentionally, I did not turn on the ARC setting on the Denon, but the eARC setting on the TV remained on. eARC seems to be working in spite of the fact that it is not selected in the Denon menu. I'm also haven't had any lip sync or audio drop out problems. I'm sure there's something I don't understand here, but why is this working? I always thought that ARC needed to be on in the Denon as well as on the TV.
Nope. Page 48 of the S750H's PDF manual states



Using an eARC function-compatible television enables audio playback from the speaker connected to this unit, regardless of “HDMI Control” and “ARC”settings in the menu.
LDBetaGuy and dfa973 like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #146 of 2027 Old 07-02-2019, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,000
Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23709 Post(s)
Liked: 13055
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I have a Denon AVR-S750H and a Sony 950G TV. The TV has a menu setting to automatically detect if it is connected to an eARC compatible receiver. I have that setting turned on. Originally, I had also turned on the ARC setting on the Denon. I mostly worked OK, but I had to keep fiddling with lip sync delays and the occasional loss of audio when switching sources.

After going back to using just the optical output of the Denon for a while, I decided to experiment some more with the eARC feature. Unintentionally, I did not turn on the ARC setting on the Denon, but the eARC setting on the TV remained on. eARC seems to be working in spite of the fact that it is not selected in the Denon menu. I'm also haven't had any lip sync or audio drop out problems. I'm sure there's something I don't understand here, but why is this working? I always thought that ARC needed to be on in the Denon as well as on the TV.
With ARC = OFF on the S750H, does the AVR automatically change to the "TV Audio" source when first powered ON or must you select "TV Audio" when passing the TV's smart app audio?
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #147 of 2027 Old 07-02-2019, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
LDBetaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
With ARC = OFF on the S750H, does the AVR automatically change to the "TV Audio" source when first powered ON or must you select "TV Audio" when passing the TV's smart app audio?
I almost always leave the Denon on the "TV Audio input". I did quickly test this, though, by leaving the Denon on the "DVD" input when I turned it off. I then turned on the TV to the OTA tuner, followed by turning on the Denon with the power button (not the "TV Audio" button). The Denon remained on the DVD input until I manually selected "TV Audio" with the remote.
LDBetaGuy is offline  
post #148 of 2027 Old 07-02-2019, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
LDBetaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Nope. Page 48 of the S750H's PDF manual states



Using an eARC function-compatible television enables audio playback from the speaker connected to this unit, regardless of “HDMI Control” and “ARC”settings in the menu.
How embarrassing! I'm one of those people who always chide my friends for not reading manuals!
Matt2026, mrtickleuk and dfa973 like this.
LDBetaGuy is offline  
post #149 of 2027 Old 07-02-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
How embarrassing! I'm one of those people who always chide my friends for not reading manuals!
It's all good. I missed stuff in my Denon's manual all the time.
dfa973 likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #150 of 2027 Old 07-03-2019, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Kriilin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
POSTS 1-8 ARE UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND WILL BE UPDATED AS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IS RELEASED ON EACH OF THE NEW 2019 MODELS

This thread covers the following 2019 Denon AVRs: S650H/S750H/S950H/X1600H/X2600H/X3600H

To date, links are active through the X2600H.

Sound United (parent company of Denon and Marantz) has started to release information on the new 2019 Denon models starting with the three of the four new "S" series models. The lower "X" series will be announced next with the S540BT/X4500H/X6500H continuing thru 2019 (and will therefore continue to be discussed in the 2018 Denon AVR Owner's thread) and not being replaced until 2020.

What's new or to be added via firmware update for the 2019 models?

S650H/S750H/S950H/X1600H/X2600H/X3600H

- Note that all the 2019 models are still HDMI 2.0b (ie. HDMI 2.1 models won't be released until 2020)
- HDCP 2.3
- eARC - on board (as opposed to the 2017 X3400H/X4400H/X6400H and 2018 X3500H/X4500H/X6500H/X8500H models previously receiving it via a firmware update)(Note an HDMI w/Ethernet cable must be used between the AVR and eARC capable TV)
- USB thumb drive requirements - NTFS added
- Dolby Height Virtualizer (S750H and higher; only available when sound mode selected includes "+ Dolby Surround") - added via future firmware update
- Bluetooth transmit to single pair of headphones/hearing aids - added via future firmware update
- Airplay - ON/OFF setting



What was dropped from the 2018 models?
- No longer able to apply DTS Neural:X on DD audio but still able to use Dolby Surround on DTS audio

----------------------

- All "S" series models have a 2 year warranty if purchased new/open-box from an authorized dealer
- All "X" series models have a 3 year warranty (2 years in Canada) if purchased new/open-box from an authorized dealer
- All refurbished models have a 1 year warranty if purchased from an authorized refurb dealer

Note:
1. Although all models feature two subwoofer pre-outs, only the X3600H features independent subwoofer volume control of each subwoofer.


Denon model web page info and Owner manual links - SOME LINKS ARE NOT ACTIVE AT THIS TIME


- S650H - MSRP $399, 5.2 CH, 75W, HDMI In/Out (5/1) - avail April
Upgrading from the S550BT provides all HDMI inputs as 4k/HDCP 2.3 capable, and the lowest model to feature Audyssey MultEQ (6 mic positions), networking, DSD via USB/network source, speaker posts, 32 bit DAC, and an on board Denon HEOS module (allows streaming of HEOS app music services to the AVR as well as streaming PCM 2.0 source from the AVR to HEOS wireless speakers set up around the home). Firmware updates are installed via a network connection or USB. There are no Zone 2 pre-outs. No noticeable difference in power; however, this is the lowest model with Audyssey so audio quality should be improved after running Audyssey. PHONO input. Dolby Vision + HLG + ALLM.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...ivers/avrs650h

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS650H/NA/EN/index.php

- S750H - MSRP $499, 7.2 CH, 75W, HDMI In/Out (6/1) - avail April
Upgrading from the S650H adds a front HDMI input and two more audio channels for a 7CH model, Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.2. It features 5.1 + Zone 2 capability using the Surround Back speaker posts for Zone 2. There are no Zone 2 pre-outs. No noticeable difference in power. DTS Virtual:X (simulates height audio when using a 5.1 configuration but Audyssey is disabled). Dolby Height Virtualizer. Able to use the MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android; $20). 32 bit AK4458VN DAC (as well as on all higher level models up to the X6500H). This is the lowest model that can use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor iOS/Android app ($20).

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...ivers/avrs750h

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS750H/NA/EN/index.php

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/denon-avr-s750h-review/

- S950H - MSRP $599, 7.2CH, 90W, HDMI In/Out (8/2, main/main outputs) - avail April
Upgrading from the S750H adds 2 more HDMI inputs, 1 more main zone monitor output (eg. when using a TV and PJ), 2 component video inputs / 1 output, 4k/30Hz upscaling, on board. No noticeable difference in either power or audio quality.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...ivers/avrs950h

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS950H/NA/EN/index.php


- X1600H - MSRP $599, 7.2CH, 80W, HDMI In/Out (6/1) - avail June
This model has the same features as the S750H but adds: improved audio quality using the higher version Audyssey MultEQ XT (8 mic positions), Zone 2 pre-outs, Crestron/Control 4 interface, and also as the lowest "X" series model adds 1 more year of warranty (total 3 years). Includes “ihiji Invision” and Domotz Pro remote system management technology

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...vers/avrx1600h

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1600H/NA/EN/index.php


- X2600H - MSRP $799, 7.2CH, 95W, HDMI In/Out (8/2, main/main outputs) - avail June
This model has the same features as the S940H but adds: improved audio quality using the higher Audyssey MultEQ XT, Zone 2 pre-outs, RS-232, Crestron/Control 4 interface, ISF (Day/Night) calibration settings (to be set by an ISF calibrator) and 1 more year of warranty (total 3 years).

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...vers/avrx2600h

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2600H/NA/EN/index.php


- X3600H - MSRP $1099, 9.2CH (expandable to 11CH [7.2.4] w/2CH amp), 105W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) - avail July
Upgrading from the X2600H adds: Zone 2 custom settings (bass, treble, HPF, stereo/mono), 12v trigger (1), DSD over HDMI, Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output, HDMI/digital PCM 2.0 audio to Zone 2 speaker posts/pre-outs/HEOS speakers, analog --> HDMI conversion, 4k/60Hz upscaling, and the lowest model with 7.2 main zone pre-outs. No noticeable difference in power, but much better audio quality using the much more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT (when using 2 subs; independent sub level/delay). The Audyssey Low Frequency Containment (LFC) feature which helps to reduce the impact of lower frequency waves passing through walls (great when watching at night with others asleep nearby or if living in an apartment with thin walls). Also features IMAX enhanced DTS:X.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...vers/avrx3600h

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3600H/NA/EN/index.php



---------------------------------

Welcome to the Official 2019 Denon AVR-S/X models thread (S650H/S750H/S950H/X1600H/X2600H/X3600H)


If this is your first visit to this thread, and you want to ask a question about one of the 2019 Denon AVR models, either one that you own or one that you are thinking of buying, please provide the following information to allow for better responses to your questions:

(a) Identify the model number in question (eg. X2600H), as there are 7 different models (S and X series) discussed in this thread. Also if you have not posted in several days since your initial post, please post the model # again so we don't have to back track to learn which model you are referencing.

(b) Identify what you've done so far to troubleshoot the issue and what the front panel is displaying if an audio issue, (also take a few minutes to review the Troubleshooting section provided in post 3 as your question may already be answered there,

(c) Unless you indicate what settings have been changed, the assumption will be that all settings are on the factory defaults (ie. usually "Auto"),

(d) If the advice given seems to simplistic or obvious, don't shoot the advice giver as we have no idea of the level of your technical understanding,

(e) If there is no response to your post, it either means no one knows the answer or it has simply been overlooked so please repost if you still haven't resolved your issue,

(f) If you post a question in this thread and are given advice and either it or some other advice (eg. Denon phone support, Denon "Ask a Question" email support) resolves your issue, have the common courtesy to post back what solution resolved your issue so others can learn from it as well,

(g) If the issue is not user error or not just a misunderstanding on how the AVR works, please call Denon support so the issue is registered,

(h) When responding to another post that is providing assistance to you, please press the "Quote" button in the lower right corner of that other poster's response so that response is also listed with your new post to provide some context, and,

(i) If you don't live in either the USA or Canada, please either indicate your country location in your profile or your post as some Denon models from other regions in the world differ in configuration from their USA/Canada counterparts otherwise responses made in this thread are in regards to the USA/Canada models only.
Looks like Denon removed the X-3600 from their site. I wonder if they feel it will eat into sales of the X-4500?

I see dead pixels.......
Kriilin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
denon humax sibilance , denon zone 2 logitech harmony avr x2600h

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off