"OFFICIAL" 2019 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 830Likes

post #2461 of 2772 Old 05-23-2020, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked: 2811
Quote:
Originally Posted by John24ssj View Post
I really do like my 2600h I just wish they had relays that were slighly more silent, they are really loud!
That's because they're electro-mechanical to avoid any physical connection after the fact as they open and close taps on the transformer.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2772 Old 05-23-2020, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Yes we do as music has no standardized requirements for mastering and remember it's not just the Denon. Looking for affirmation over information when troubleshooting is always the trap. Again telling everyone to only do the specific things you want them to do to reproduce something ain't the way to go about it. At worst you've found some connection between certain hot tracks and bass mgmt. settings that almost no one but you and a few others have made mention of and the fact that it's not being talked about more in threads is a tell to me. I would be going bonkers if i heard what I listened to on Soundcloud but I ain't and most everyone else ain't either. Still curious to see what others report back but short of the majority of musical content reproducing this when highpassed it's pretty much an anomalous nothing burger to me.
Why not try the track on your X4300H? With a stereo HDMI input, speakers set to small, and no upmixers active. That really doesn't seem too specific to me.
post #2463 of 2772 Old 05-23-2020, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaChunk View Post
Why not try the track on your X4300H? With a stereo HDMI input, speakers set to small, and no upmixers active. That really doesn't seem too specific to me.
I might if I get a chance but I've played literally hundreds of CD's,SACD's,DVD-A, blu ray concert films with stereo tracks through my OPPO and Onkyo CD changer as well as thousands of FLAC and MP3 album files on my 128GB Lexar flash drive all passing through my Denon and never once had this issue come up while listening in stereo and I always bass manage. Won't prove anything because I could just lie and say I didn't hear it when I did even though I'd never do something like that but agendas rule on the internet at times on all sides. Mine included. You could also be 100% correct in your assumption but if the majority wont ever hear it does it really matter? Hopefully you should be getting some good feedback here soon with your specific model as well.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 2772 Old 05-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a small problem with my Denon 750 H. It is A couple of days old.. Sometimes when I start the system it seems to have a hard time connecting to the cable box. The sound and the picture keep blinking on and off. I have the cable box connected through an HDMI cable. The HDMI cable is brand new high-speed certified. What should I look for or where should I start.

Thank you
Don
post #2465 of 2772 Old 05-23-2020, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
I am having a small problem with my Denon 750 H. It is A couple of days old.. Sometimes when I start the system it seems to have a hard time connecting to the cable box. The sound and the picture keep blinking on and off. I have the cable box connected through an HDMI cable. The HDMI cable is brand new high-speed certified. What should I look for or where should I start.

Thank you

Don
See if changing the HDMI bandwidth setting helps if it's set to Enhanced. Standard is the setting specifically for helping with cable box issues.

post #2466 of 2772 Old 05-23-2020, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24546 Post(s)
Liked: 13783
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post

Thank you
Don
Try connecting to one of the other HDMI rear inputs.

Also, to mitigate HDMI handshake issues, power on the TV first, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, cable box. If using a programmable remote (eg. Harmony), the pauses can be programmed.
post #2467 of 2772 Old 05-23-2020, 04:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Also, to mitigate HDMI handshake issues, power on the TV first, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, cable box. If using a programmable remote (eg. Harmony), the pauses can be programmed.
I am going to try the suggestion and change enhanced to standard on HDMI.
If that works I’m done. If that doesn’t work I will start changing different inputs.
Thank you
post #2468 of 2772 Old 05-23-2020, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

5 second delay between each would drive me nuts! Right now I have a 2 second delay programmed between each component: TV -> AVR -> Sources and it's already annoying!
post #2469 of 2772 Old 05-24-2020, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm looking at getting an X2600H.

Because I use different picture modes for games vs. everything else, I'm wondering if I can connect the dual HDMI outputs to different inputs on my TV (LG B7, for the record). That way (in theory) I don't have to switch to game mode and back on the TV constantly.

Is this something that would work seamlessly? Are there any drawbacks or limitations to doing this?
post #2470 of 2772 Old 05-24-2020, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
1. HDMI(ARC) is used when you want to pass the audio from the TV's smart apps back to the AVR. The alternatives are either (a) using an optical connection from the TV --> AVR; however, optical cannot pass DD+ which Netflix uses for Atmos Lite, or (b) connecting a 3rd party device (eg. Roku, Firestick, AppleTV, etc.) directly to the AVR which can also access the same streaming services as the TV.
2. This is more likely TV brand/model specific as I can power off my TV and Spotify or Pandora continue to play (which I'll often do when I want to listen in the dark). Try adding an HDMI splitter/switch between the AVR and TV so the TV's EDID is copied to the HDMI splitter/switch.
3. Disconnect/reconnecting is the fix as you indicate.
4. Use the AVR volume control.
5. Audyssey works with 2 speakers. Whether you use it (or Dynamic EQ) or not (like many of the settings) is personal preference.
6. If you disable Dynamic EQ, you can manually increase the bass (OPTION - TONE) to suit your personal preference.
7. Toe in speakers to face the main listening position; however, you'll also want to run Audyssey again after the repositioning.
8. Although hardwired ethernet is more reliable, no reason not to use Wifi if there is a good connection with the home's router/modem.
9. See 7 above; otherwise, add a center speaker, although the Q150 is a bookshelf speaker not really designed as a center speaker while the KEF Q250 would be a much better option.
10. Don't know as I don't use a Macbook.
11. TuneIn is simply the first item on the HEOS page.
12. Sufficient ventilation ideally requires at least 3-4" clearance above the AVR with open front and back, otherwise, consider adding an AC Infinity fan if there is at least 1.5" clearance.
Thank you for the thorough response and help! Some follow ups, if you or others can advise further!

1. What's the benefit of not using an optical cable vs. ARC here? And what benefit does using a dedicated streaming device vs. the native smart TV apps?

2. There must be a way for me to listen to Spotify via the AVR without having the TV on - and a way that doesn't involve getting an HDMI splitter, no? The TV is a new LG B9, I can't imagine it's TV-specific...no one would buy an AVR if they had an LG TV

3. Can you please help me understand crossover and if I need to make any changes with this 2.0 setup? I've been reading up and still not clear.

Thanks again!
post #2471 of 2772 Old 05-24-2020, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapoodle View Post
Thank you for the thorough response and help! Some follow ups, if you or others can advise further!

1. What's the benefit of not using an optical cable vs. ARC here? And what benefit does using a dedicated streaming device vs. the native smart TV apps?

2. There must be a way for me to listen to Spotify via the AVR without having the TV on - and a way that doesn't involve getting an HDMI splitter, no? The TV is a new LG B9, I can't imagine it's TV-specific...no one would buy an AVR if they had an LG TV

3. Can you please help me understand crossover and if I need to make any changes with this 2.0 setup? I've been reading up and still not clear.

Thanks again!
1. Optical is more reliable than HDMI(ARC); however, although optical can pass DD/DTS 5.1 or PCM 2.0, only HDMI(ARC) can pass DD+ that Netflix uses, especially with Atmos Lite. If you don't have a 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS setup, than doesn't matter if you use optical.
2. If it doesn't work on your TV model, then you'll have to to use a work around (eg. HDMI splitter/switch).
3. After running Audyssey Setup, the point at which it's best to pass the lower frequencies to the subwoofer (ie. "crossover") is determined and the Audyssey EQ is only performed to that crossover point which is why it's okay to "raise" a crossover setting in Manual Setup, but not okay to lower it, as lowering a crossover then introduces frequencies that have not been EQ'd by Audyssey.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #2472 of 2772 Old 05-24-2020, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicks View Post
I'm looking at getting an X2600H.

Because I use different picture modes for games vs. everything else, I'm wondering if I can connect the dual HDMI outputs to different inputs on my TV (LG B7, for the record). That way (in theory) I don't have to switch to game mode and back on the TV constantly.

Is this something that would work seamlessly? Are there any drawbacks or limitations to doing this?
Yup.
gnicks likes this.
post #2473 of 2772 Old 05-24-2020, 04:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
q. PS4/Blu Ray Player (BDP)/Game machine - No video or intermittent video issue: On the PS4 or Blu Ray player, set the "Deep Color Output" setting to OFF. Ensure the game machine is set to a standard TV resolution otherwise the AVR won't recognize the signal.

In the troubleshooting post, I found the above. Is this a common problem in regards to PS4? With Deep Color Output turned off, PS4 will not output in HDR. If I can't send PS4 Pro HDR through an X2600, it would really defeat my purpose in getting the unit.

Can anyone comment on being able to passthrough HDR from PS4?
post #2474 of 2772 Old 05-24-2020, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Guys. My basement theater room is setup for 7.1 with an older Onkyo now. However, the HDMI board is dead, so really I'm getting upmixed 5.1 signal from optical to my 7 channels.
I'm feeling the itch to upgrade.
L/R Polk Monitor 60
C: Polk CS1
Surround: Polk Monitor 50
Rears: (currently at an atmos height from a previous home owner which is not proper): Polk Monitor 30

I'm thinking of going 7.1.4. Making front and rear atmos Polk monitor 30's and bringing a set of Monitor 40s at rear floor level.

After doing a bunch of research. I think I like the specs of the Denon X3600H.
My TV is 4K HDR, but nothing too fancy after that. I think this receiver should handle the video processing without too much trouble.
Anything to look out for? The current market is pretty wild with many receivers not available from what I assume is COVID related.
I was really looking to pick one up used eventually. Have most of you guys bought the post amp and put the L/R channels? I'd like to hear some feedback.
Anything to look out for?

Last edited by dauber65; 05-24-2020 at 09:48 PM.
post #2475 of 2772 Old 05-24-2020, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicks View Post
Can anyone comment on being able to passthrough HDR from PS4?
I have the 3600, and before that a 930H, and never had issues with HDR from my PS4, or any connected device...and I run everything through the Denon and always have.

All my PS4 Pro video settings are set to Auto.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
gnicks likes this.
post #2476 of 2772 Old 05-24-2020, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber65 View Post
Guys. My basement theater room is setup for 7.1 with an older Onkyo now. However, the HDMI board is dead, so really I'm getting upmixed 5.1 signal from optical to my 7 channels.
L/R Polk Monitor 60
Rears: (currently at an atmos height from a previous home owner which is not proper): Polk Monitor 30

I'm thinking of going 7.1.4. Making front and rear atmos Polk monitor 30's and bringing a set of Monitor 40s at rear floor level.

My TV is 4K HDR, but nothing too fancy after that. I think this receiver should handle the video processing without too much trouble.
Anything to look out for? The current market is pretty wild with many receivers not available from what I assume is COVID related.
I was really looking to pick one up used eventually. Have most of you guys bought the post amp and put the L/R channels? I'd like to hear some feedback.
The expansion of the X3600H from 9CH --> 11CH is discussed in post 8. Whether you purchase a more expensive/powerful amp to power the Front L/R or a less expensive/lower powered amp to power the Height 2 L/R is personal preference and whether you feel your Front L/R speakers are underpowered or you just want to spend more money on a more powerful amp.
post #2477 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipswitch84 View Post
I follow the audyssey setup instructions how to prepare your subwoofer, however after the setup it puts my subwoofer at -12.0B.

I’ve tried lowering the gain level but still get the same results.

Subwoofer is located at the right near the wall.
Like your setup..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #2478 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've had my X3600H for a few weeks now. I am confused about the Audessy setup and setting the speaker size to "small" so that my subs are used for stereo music and TV audio. I have a 5.2 speaker setup with GoldenEar Triton 7's, SuperCenter X, Invisa 525 surrounds and two ForceField 3 subs.

Audessy sets the speakers to Large because of the full range capability of the Tritons, however the setup guide at the beginning of this thread (and virtually all advice I see) says they should be set to Small. The only way I see to do that is in Manual Setup, which I think overrides the Audessy settings.

If I rerun the Audessy setup after manually setting the speakers to small, will this keep the crossovers so that the subs are on more and not just for LFE on movies?

Last edited by SixSpeedRon; 05-25-2020 at 01:35 PM.
post #2479 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Can the X2600H's speaker configuration be set to:

Front Left Height
Front Left

Center

Front Right
Front Right Height

? I'm looking at the online manual and don't see this option, though I thought I did before purchasing the X2600H.
post #2480 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeedRon View Post
I've had my X3600H for a few weeks now. I am confused about the Audessy setup and setting the speaker size to "small" so that my subs are used for stereo music and TV audio. I have a 5.2 speaker setup with GoldenEar Triton 7's, SuperCenter X, Invisa 525 surrounds and two ForceField 3 subs.

Audessy sets the speakers to Large because of the full range capability of the Tritons, however the setup guide at the beginning of this thread (and virtually all advice I see) says they should be set to Small. The only way I see to do that is in Manual Setup, which I think overrides the Audessy settings.

If I rerun the Audessy setup after manually setting the speakers to small, will this keep the crossovers so that the subs are on more and not just for LFE on movies?

I’d like to know as well as I have a 4500 coming this week and wondering same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #2481 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Common setup is speakers set to small crossover set at 80 and [email protected] If you run pure direct for music which I do with my towers most of the time it runs them full range and shuts audyssey off and any corrections and sub. Setting speakers to small let's you change crossover settings. Audyssey after calibration has my towers and center set at 40 and surrounds at 60 which is fine but I like the sub to handle more of the low end. It's more of a personal preference as long as you stay in your speaker specs. My heights I run at 100hz and my front stage and surrounds all at 80hz.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

LGC9
Nivida Shield Pro|XBox1x
Denon X3600H
Chane A5.5 L/R/A2.4/C|Chane 1.4 Surrounds|Polk S10 Heights
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #2482 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synomenon View Post
Can the X2600H's speaker configuration be set to:

Front Left Height
Front Left
Center
Front Right
Front Right Height

? I'm looking at the online manual and don't see this option, though I thought I did before purchasing the X2600H.
Yes. A 3.1.2 configuration is possible.
Synomenon likes this.
post #2483 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

1. Audyssey only refers to the actual EQ curve that is created after running Audyssey Setup. Audyssey then passes the -3dB point of the speakers to the AVR and the AVR makes the speaker settings (ie. LARGE/SMALL, level, distance, crossover).
2. You can then go into Manual Setup and change these settings (eg. LARGE-->SMALL and raise the crossover from 40Hhz/60Hz --->80Hz) without impacting the EQ curve.
3. If you rerun Audyssey Setup, all current settings are ignored.
gtsum, Synomenon, Madmax67 and 1 others like this.
post #2484 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Awesome. Thank you; exactly the info that I need.
post #2485 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Although product rep YouTube videos released last year indicated the 2019 X3600H and lower models would not be replaced this year (rather only the 2018 X4500H/X6500H), a Denon YouTube video was just posted (see link below) that discusses a successor to the X3600H, the X3700H. A press release from Sound United is expected in the next few weeks regarding what other 2020 models will be released and most likely when they will be available.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post59706714
Baff likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-25-2020 at 04:52 PM.
post #2486 of 2772 Old 05-25-2020, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Excuse the ignorance, but satellite speakers are not full range speakers, correct?

Because when playing a game it has it as an option.
post #2487 of 2772 Old 05-26-2020, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipswitch84 View Post
Excuse the ignorance, but satellite speakers are not full range speakers, correct?

Because when playing a game it has it as an option.
A speaker's capability is determined by its specs not by its size which is why any speaker can be set to LARGE if appropriate.
post #2488 of 2772 Old 05-26-2020, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber65 View Post
L/R Polk Monitor 60

Before you start thinking about buying external amp and utilize all the 11 channels, you could be thinking about adding a 2nd sub and just stay in a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 setup. I know what you are thinking and what the spec says, but in real life, you would see biggest sound improvement in your HT
setup is by adding a second sub. Way more noticeable audible difference than adding a pair 5th or 7th surround speakers. X3600H let you do that nicely with 2 independent sub control. I am talking from experience.

Last edited by zahidbd; 05-26-2020 at 12:28 PM.
post #2489 of 2772 Old 05-27-2020, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an X1600.
When playing a recorded show from my cable/TiVo box, if I fast forward single speed for more than 5 sec or so, Or any time double or triple speed or in reverse, the audio will drop out and can only recover by turning the AVR off/on.

Connections all hdmi
TiVo into passive switch/splitter
Splitter output 1 to TV hdmi 1
Splitter output 2 to AVR
AVR to TV hdmi2/ARC

Have also tried the TV optical out to AVR and get same result.

WTF?
post #2490 of 2772 Old 05-27-2020, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
I have an X1600.
When playing a recorded show from my cable/TiVo box, if I fast forward single speed for more than 5 sec or so, Or any time double or triple speed or in reverse, the audio will drop out and can only recover by turning the AVR off/on.

Connections all hdmi
TiVo into passive switch/splitter
Splitter output 1 to TV hdmi 1
Splitter output 2 to AVR
AVR to TV hdmi2/ARC

Have also tried the TV optical out to AVR and get same result.

WTF?
Have you reported this to Denon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avrs750h , Denon , denon humax sibilance , denon zone 2 logitech harmony avr x2600h , edid , Kef , q150 , x1600h , x2600h

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page