4Likes
  • 4 Post By afrogt

post #1 of 16 Old 04-17-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Receiver for Family Room

So it is long overdue to upgrade my receiver, we just got our first 4k tv and at the end of this year we will be getting a second, probably the new Samsung QLED (unsure of model right now).
Right now I am running a yamaha RX A720 and looking at going to a Denon AVR-X4400H.

The reason I was going to go to the 4400 over 4500 was price. I thought about the 3500 but from what I have read the 4400 is still the better of the 2, plus its still cheaper than the 3500.
I think most of you would agree that going to the 4400 is going to be perfectly fine and what I am going to be missing from the 4500 is easy to get over.

I dont need bass sync, nor the imax enhanced and the dts: virtual x.

Does anyone have any other opinions or suggestions?

Some of the things I want is:
EARC
HDCP 2.2
Lossless Audio support
Multi Zones for speakers and video. Supporting [email protected] for both outputs simultaneously
Google Assistant integration (ability to stream to our current google home speakers)
Dolby Atmos (for future plans)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-17-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 78
If you don't indeed need IMAX Enhanced then go ahead with the X4400H and call it a day. You'll have pretty much everything you need from eARC to HDCP 2.2 passthrough and all three object-based audio formats Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Roku Ultra (2018 model)
post #3 of 16 Old 04-17-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
depending where you live you can get the x4500 cheaper than the x4400 when Fry's puts it on sale, which is pretty much every other week.

You don't have your location listed so don't know if you have a Fry's close by.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
If you don't indeed need IMAX Enhanced then go ahead with the X4400H and call it a day. You'll have pretty much everything you need from eARC to HDCP 2.2 passthrough and all three object-based audio formats Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D.
I haven't been following the whole IMAX Enhanced progress so I really dont know where they sit as far as popularity and if they are going to really push the format for more movies. From the quick searching I have done, Beautiful Planet and Journey to the South Specific are the only 2 movies and I cant find any other movies planned for this format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
depending where you live you can get the x4500 cheaper than the x4400 when Fry's puts it on sale, which is pretty much every other week.

You don't have your location listed so don't know if you have a Fry's close by.
I'am 10 minutes from one, I will watch and see if they put them on sale soon. Thanks for letting me know, I didn't even think about checking frys.

I know sound is personal to people, one might like the way onkyo sound and then others might like how yamaha or denon sound. I have only used yamaha for the past 2 decades. Going to Denon am I going to tell a big difference in how the sounds is delivered and how clear or muddy it might sound?
post #5 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Also I was thinking about ordering it from Accessories 4 Less, I can get a refurbished 4400 for 699.99 and the brand new one goes for 849.99. Also could get the extended warranty for for 39.99 from CPS for a total of 3 years coverage.

Anyone had any good or bad experience with Accessories 4 Less or getting the extended warranty from CPS?
I have even now thought about going with the Marantz 7012, 899.99 new and 999.99 new.
But only if I wanted the warmer tone, right?
post #6 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 10:53 AM

magicc8ball,

you're better off waiting for the next Fry's sale on the x4500 which could be as soon as Sunday. They also have 20% off coupons for In Store purchases at the greeter station which would bring the price down to close to the AC4less price for the refurb x4400.

https://www.frys.com/workflow/AcctMa...annertop032615

Afro GT
post #7 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Youll love the 4000 line of Denon avr. Still loving my 4100, when the 4500 hits on sale again. Im going to grab a 2nd for my MBR. As the 4100 wont pass 4K on my 55" 4Ktv in my MBR.

The 4500 sounds amazing in my family room, the 899.99 sale price was a bonus...

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
post #8 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2114 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicc8ball View Post
Also I was thinking about ordering it from Accessories 4 Less, I can get a refurbished 4400 for 699.99 and the brand new one goes for 849.99. Also could get the extended warranty for for 39.99 from CPS for a total of 3 years coverage.

Anyone had any good or bad experience with Accessories 4 Less or getting the extended warranty from CPS?
I have even now thought about going with the Marantz 7012, 899.99 new and 999.99 new.
But only if I wanted the warmer tone, right?
I have an AVR-X4300H from A4L. I've had it for almost 2 years. It looked new, down to the stickers, and has been perfect. The docs that came with it declared it to be Denon B stock.

The main complaints I've read about A4L is that their return policies aren't generous, and that their service may not be good when things go wrong. Some have not been happy with their purchases, but it's not clear to me whether A4L does any checking of the "factory" refurbs.

As to the "warmer tone" of the Marantz, call me skeptical. The electronics should not color the sound appreciably. (I know that for audiophiles, there is no such thing as "appreciably". Everything, down to the cheater cord that connects the AVR to the wall, is supposed to produce audible effects.)
post #9 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
magicc8ball,

you're better off waiting for the next Fry's sale on the x4500 which could be as soon as Sunday. They also have 20% off coupons for In Store purchases at the greeter station which would bring the price down to close to the AC4less price for the refurb x4400.

https://www.frys.com/workflow/AcctMa...annertop032615
Thanks afrogt, ill wait for it to go on sale and snag one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddman36 View Post
Youll love the 4000 line of Denon avr. Still loving my 4100, when the 4500 hits on sale again. Im going to grab a 2nd for my MBR. As the 4100 wont pass 4K on my 55" 4Ktv in my MBR.

The 4500 sounds amazing in my family room, the 899.99 sale price was a bonus...
Toddman36, where did you get yours for that sale price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I have an AVR-X4300H from A4L. I've had it for almost 2 years. It looked new, down to the stickers, and has been perfect. The docs that came with it declared it to be Denon B stock.

The main complaints I've read about A4L is that their return policies aren't generous, and that their service may not be good when things go wrong. Some have not been happy with their purchases, but it's not clear to me whether A4L does any checking of the "factory" refurbs.

As to the "warmer tone" of the Marantz, call me skeptical. The electronics should not color the sound appreciably. (I know that for audiophiles, there is no such thing as "appreciably". Everything, down to the cheater cord that connects the AVR to the wall, is supposed to produce audible effects.)
Denon B stock? mind explaining that a bit more, I haven't come across anyone mentioning a different stock group.

Ah, I figured it might be a little of a risk which is why I came here. I feel confident in buying it from A4L but if I can get a 2019 for not much more than the older 6500 then I might as well wait.

I should have put "" marks around the "warmer tone" as that is just what I have been reading from others. Planning on going to listen to both the Marantz and the Denon's tomorrow if not tonight.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Thanks afrogt, ill wait for it to go on sale and snag one.

Toddman36, where did you get yours for that sale price?

Denon B stock? mind explaining that a bit more, I haven't come across anyone mentioning a different stock group.
I got it on Newegg.com new through theyre webpage from a different seller though. Dont recall theyre store name, took 5 days to arrive.

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
post #11 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Denon B stock? mind explaining that a bit more, I haven't come across anyone mentioning a different stock group..
B stock often refers to open box, refurbished, or cosmetically imperfect product. Minor note - there's been some discussion of whether the Denons sold via NewEgg are from an authorized dealer - may affect warranty coverage.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddman36 View Post
I got it on Newegg.com new through theyre webpage from a different seller though. Dont recall theyre store name, took 5 days to arrive.
Was it Echo and Optics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
B stock often refers to open box, refurbished, or cosmetically imperfect product. Minor note - there's been some discussion of whether the Denons sold via NewEgg are from an authorized dealer - may affect warranty coverage.
Right now it is on sale at newegg for 1095.00, I also clicked on the question mark next to who it is sold by and it says that items from these sellers are generally covered by Newegg Marketplace Guarantee.

The reviews for them on newegg are positive but who knows.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-19-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2114 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Quote:
(snip)

(snip)
I have no knowledge of that. I suppose that it means that it was gone over by Denon. The AVR certainly had all the stickers that you might see on a new one that describe its features. (The sort of stickers that you'd remove as soon as the AVR was out of the box.)

Pricing is tricky. If I had waited a few months, I could have gotten a brand new AVR-X4300H at model year closeout pricing for about $300 less than the refurb. Maybe I could have done better if I'd gone with one of the dealers who post here. If I lived near a Fry's Electronics, waiting for one of their frequent sales might have been a good idea. (The nearest Fry's is 800 miles from me. I visited a few of their stores in California, Arizona, and Texas in the past, but not to buy A/V gear.)
post #14 of 16 Old 04-19-2019, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

My wife and I went to listen to the 4500x and the 6013 and we're really liking the sound of the Denon. Going to wait for Fry's to drop the price.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
My wife and I went to listen to the 4500x and the 6013 and we're really liking the sound of the Denon. Going to wait for Fry's to drop the price.
the x4500 will be on sale starting Sunday at Fry's. You can use 2288 as a universal promo code
http://images.frys.com/art/email/042...b.html?tw#set3

Afro GT
post #16 of 16 Old 04-21-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the x4500 will be on sale starting Sunday at Fry's. You can use 2288 as a universal promo code
http://images.frys.com/art/email/042...b.html?tw#set3

I just looked at the fry's sales that are starting up this week and saw the same thing you did.

Thinking I might try and get the extra 20% off as well. Beats the 4400 and the 6013 prices by quite a bit!

Thanks for help everyone, going to swing by tomorrow to pick them up. Now to replace my old Polk Audio R50's and surrounding speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
avr , avr-x4400h , Denon , dolby , receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page