Which receiver is best for me? please help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-24-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which receiver is best for me? please help!

I need a receiver that has 2 hdmi outputs, both 4k hdr. One will be for my 4k hdr tv, the other is for my BenQ TK800m projector. I'll be doing casual gaming/sports/streams/cable, just 5 speakers with 2 subwoofers. I need at least 5 inputs (cable, chromecast, ps4, nintendo switch, pc). I found the Onkyo 686 which I thought would do everything, except I read the 2nd hdmi output does not do 4k? is that true? Is there any receiver you guys would recommend around $400-600 range? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I was under the impression that whatever the lowest resolution tv was dictated the output? So if you have a 4k tv and a 1080p projector, it would all be sent at 1080p.

@jdsmoothie knows everything about DM receivers, maybe he can chime in about the Onkyo?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-24-2019, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
I was under the impression that whatever the lowest resolution tv was dictated the output? So if you have a 4k tv and a 1080p projector, it would all be sent at 1080p.

@jdsmoothie knows everything about DM receivers, maybe he can chime in about the Onkyo?
Yes this is the case on my current setup (4k tv, yamaha rx-v575 and BenQ Ht2050 1080p projector, all the outputs became 1080p. I had to connect the ps4 directly to the tv instead of thru the receiver. However, I am getting the Benq TK800M, which it states is a true 4k projector. So Just wondering if anyone else had this set up and was able to see 4k thru both hdmi outputs.

Just called onkyo, and they said that indeed both hdmi outputs are 4k, so I will be buying it. Hopefully it recognizes the benq tk800m as a 4k source and everything is at max res.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-25-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
are you looking to do the same source on both the TV and Projector? If so, the nr686 will be fine. If you're trying to connect two different HDMI sources at the same time you'll need something like the Denon x3500.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page