Power amp recommendations for JBL speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By niterida

post #1 of 15 Old 04-28-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Power amp recommendations for JBL speakers

I have JBL Arena Speakers(JBL Arena 180 + Arena 125C + Arena 120 + JBL Arena 6IC + Rythmik LVX12) with Marantz SR6013 and want to complete full 7.2.4 setup

Room 28L x 13W x 8.5H (feet) - seating two rows at 15 feet and 20 feet

As Marantz can only power 9 channels i need an additional Amp for my front speakers

I don't want to spend a ton of money on this amp

Looking at Crown XLS1002 for my JBL Arena 180

is it okay to use this amp or is there a better option considering to keep budget as low as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-28-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 228
depends on a couple of things: 1) do you want to use the outboard amp for your mains or your surrounds?

all things being equal, the amplification on the receiver you have is more than adequate. put the outboard amp on your surround channels. get a audiosource amp100vs or the class d version amp100d, or parts express has the equivalent APA102BT( now with bluetooth (why?)). they'll both have an auto on feature that turns the unit on when it senses a signal. Turns itself off when no signal is present.

The crown is a PA amp without an auto on or 12v trigger feature(AFIK) so you'll need a power strip with the 12v trigger switch on it.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-28-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1669
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
... better option considering to keep budget as low as possible.
I agree with @smithsabom . An AudioSource AMP100VS used on the Height 2 channels is all that's needed. Done 'n' dusted for $140.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-29-2019, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
depends on a couple of things: 1) do you want to use the outboard amp for your mains or your surrounds?

all things being equal, the amplification on the receiver you have is more than adequate. put the outboard amp on your surround channels. get a audiosource amp100vs or the class d version amp100d, or parts express has the equivalent APA102BT( now with bluetooth (why?)). they'll both have an auto on feature that turns the unit on when it senses a signal. Turns itself off when no signal is present.

The crown is a PA amp without an auto on or 12v trigger feature(AFIK) so you'll need a power strip with the 12v trigger switch on it.
I am from India and i am not sure if i can get those here. will check and update and mean while i was thinking that crowns will give good headroom for my mains with adequate power (215W vs 110 from AVR)

not sure if that is going to make any difference
post #5 of 15 Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is not a must to use for main speakers, but now that i am spending some money i will get little more power for better sound (i guess).

Quote:
all things being equal, the amplification on the receiver you have is more than adequate. put the outboard amp on your surround channels. get a audiosource amp100vs or the class d version amp100d, or parts express has the equivalent APA102BT
I am from India and these are not available in india directly and the price is equal to the crown and no warranty

Quote:
( now with bluetooth (why?)). they'll both have an auto on feature that turns the unit on when it senses a signal. Turns itself off when no signal is present.
i will be powering my AVR and external amp through Tributaries PWRC-T2-INT AC power manager

Quote:
As i turn on my power manager both will be switched on and off at the same time, do i still need a power strip with 12v trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
I agree with @smithsabom . An AudioSource AMP100VS used on the Height 2 channels is all that's needed. Done 'n' dusted for $140.
I can either use this amplifier for my mains/surround back/any pair of speakers for that matter

As i am from India and no availability of mentioned model, is there any alternate recommendation.

An other alternative and more expensive model is Behringer NX1000

less expensive model is Dynatech CS-3001

I am not decided on crowns though, marantz/denon/yamaha are available for a little higher price and lower wattage.

hope this gives a little more information
post #6 of 15 Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is not a must to use for main speakers, but now that i am spending some money i will get little more power for better sound (i guess).

I am from India and these are not available in india directly and the price is equal to the crown and no warranty

i will be powering my AVR and external amp through Tributaries PWRC-T2-INT AC power manager

As i turn on my power manager both will be switched on and off at the same time, do i still need a power strip with 12v trigger

I can either use this amplifier for my mains/surround back/any pair of speakers for that matter

As i am from India and no availability of mentioned model, is there any alternate recommendation.

An other alternative and more expensive model is Behringer NX1000

less expensive model is Dynatech CS-3001

I am not decided on crowns though, marantz/denon/yamaha are available for a little higher price and lower wattage.

hope this gives a little more information
if you are using a "power manager" to power everything on/off, a 12v trigger switch is not necessary. there should be plenty of low cost amps out of china ? brands like lepai, so check out ebay. but if all you have easy access to is a PA amp, it will work fine.

good luck

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-29-2019, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Actually, most pro amps have remote triggers, including the Crown XLS series.

Quote:
if you are using a "power manager" to power everything on/off, a 12v trigger switch is not necessary.
His power manager is compact and minimal, no trigger:

Tributaries PWRC-T2-INT at avenuesound.in

I wouldn't use a Behringer NX for main speakers.

The Dynatech CS-3001 seems ok, but it's an obscure brand. It does have a low voltage sensitivity, so easier for your Marantz to drive it to full power.

I'd go with the Crown XLS1002. It has the most useful features for home theater use (remote trigger, display sleep, binding post outputs as well as Speakons, RCA inputs as well as XLR and TRS). The company that makes it is old and very respected, and is under the same parent company that owns JBL, so warranty and integration support should be easier.

I think just about any consumer stereo amp would work here, though. Pro amps usually have audible fans, and there can be sensitivity and connection headaches.

Sources/processing: stack of stuff that if it isn't vintage now, it will be soon!
Amps: stacks and stacks of old iron
Main speakers: big DIYSG
Surrounds: Bose graveyard
Subs: a bunch
post #8 of 15 Old 04-29-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fill35U View Post
Actually, most pro amps have remote triggers, including the Crown XLS series.

Not from my experience. the few PA amps I have dealt with always just had a power on/off switch. Just looked at the website, the remote trigger is listed in the features, but there is no mention of that capability on the manual.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-30-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Not from my experience. the few PA amps I have dealt with always just had a power on/off switch.
Fair enough, I revise that to "*better* pro amps have remote triggers."

Quote:
Just looked at the website, the remote trigger is listed in the features, but there is no mention of that capability on the manual.
Attached pic is from the Crown XLS Drivecore 2 manual.

See also:

www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2564241-remote-trigger-crown-xls-drivecore2-amps.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190430_141942.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	2560584  

Sources/processing: stack of stuff that if it isn't vintage now, it will be soon!

Last edited by fill35U; 04-30-2019 at 03:23 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-30-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fair enough, I revise that to "*better* pro amps have remote triggers."

Attached pic is from the Crown XLS Drivecore 2 manual.

See also:

www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2564241-remote-trigger-crown-xls-drivecore2-amps.html
I will give you that the aux port can be used IN a remote trigger set up but from reading through the thread you posted it requires a bit of extra parts and some electrical know how. it would be far easier to use the 12v triggered power strip (also listed in the thread) - this is what I am doing with my outboard amp for my mains. works like a charm.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-30-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I will give you that the aux port can be used IN a remote trigger set up but from reading through the thread you posted it requires a bit of extra parts and some electrical know how. it would be far easier to use the 12v triggered power strip (also listed in the thread) - this is what I am doing with my outboard amp for my mains. works like a charm.
Agreed, +12V trigger to turn on is pretty much ubiquitous. Although many amps don't use isolated supplies for the triggers, and all the daisy chaining sometimes makes for ground loops... Maybe that's why Crown went with contact closure instead, a dry relay contact gives isolation.

The nice thing about those remote triggered power strips is that they compartmentalize the delicate trigger circuitry outside of the amps, to where it's easily replaceable. Plus you can turn on a several items at once, if you don't mind them sharing a power strip. It takes about 45 seconds for my system to sequence on through all the triggers!

post #12 of 15 Old 05-01-2019, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I use an old Receiver with multi-channel inputs to power my 4 height speakers.
Frees up power in my main receiver to power the fronts and surrounds.
Makes setting up the level of the height speakers easy and easily adjustable for taste later on with just the 2nd Receiver volume.

Cheap and effective
fill35U and smithsabom like this.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 35
power for JBL?
something big
triple phase
nuclear if they have that option
post #14 of 15 Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Agreed, +12V trigger to turn on is pretty much ubiquitous. Although many amps don't use isolated supplies for the triggers, and all the daisy chaining sometimes makes for ground loops... Maybe that's why Crown went with contact closure instead, a dry relay contact gives isolation.

The nice thing about those remote triggered power strips is that they compartmentalize the delicate trigger circuitry outside of the amps, to where it's easily replaceable. Plus you can turn on a several items at once, if you don't mind them sharing a power strip. It takes about 45 seconds for my system to sequence on through all the triggers!
From you inputs i have seen few more options. i can get any Chinese cheap amp but i am worried of reliability and this is for my home theater

Quote:
Crown XLS 1002 is around 23000INR, i have seen Yamaha R-S202 costing 20000INR, Denon PMA 520AE costing 20500INR and Marantz PM5005 costing aprox 30000INR, both Denon and Marantz have remote in and out , how will any of these be for my system all around price range of what crown is costing

Let me know if there is any other alternative for this. i have no urgent requirement i can wait some time to make my purchase.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From you inputs i have seen few more options. i can get any Chinese cheap amp but i am worried of reliability and this is for my home theater

Crown XLS 1002 is around 23000INR, i have seen Yamaha R-S202 costing 20000INR, Denon PMA 520AE costing 20500INR and Marantz PM5005 costing aprox 30000INR, both Denon and Marantz have remote in and out , how will any of these be for my system all around price range of what crown is costing

Let me know if there is any other alternative for this. i have no urgent requirement i can wait some time to make my purchase.
either will work fine - I doubt you'll notice any difference, but it is possible. all things being equal, I'd go with the Marantz, since your receiver is a Marantz.

good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amp , front sound stage , front speakers , stereo amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page