Setup help needed for 7.2.4 Atmos (reciever related) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By B SUBASCHANDRA BOS

post #1 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Setup help needed for 7.2.4 Atmos (reciever related)

I am needing some clarificaiton on this new tech im getting. I am upgrading from a Marantz SR5006 to an onkyo RZ830 and want to set up the available 7.2.4 Atmos. I understand the amp can process 11 channels but the amp only has the ability to output 9 channels onboard. For the other two channels I need another 2 channel external amp.

Knowing this, I can simply go out and buy a tiny 2 channel amazon amp and im sure it will do the trick to power a set of cieling mounted speakers. I assume I can also use my Marantz to do the same?

Initially I was going to sell the Marantz, but since its not worth that much and factoring in the cost of buying an Amazon 2 channel amp maybe it makes the most sense to keep it and try to use it instead.

Theoretically, I get the setup principal but its just the practical setup I have a few questions about. I have attached photos of the backs of the RZ830 and my SR5006

1) It looks like my SR5006 has analog inputs for each channel in a 7.1 Setup ( RZ830 does not? is that normal ) so if I wanted to power the remaining 2 height channels I simply use the RCA outputs on the PRE OUT section of the RZ830 and plug them into any of the RCA 7.1CHN INPUTS. Then run the corresponding speaker cable to the height speakers from the SR5006.

2) if this is right, how do I setup the SR5006 to pass an untouched and clean signal? wouldnt the reciever have its own processing and sound, making the heights sound different? would it be better to buy a simple standard 2 channel amp?

3) if I have the SR5006 to use, maybe I should use it to power other speakers? maybe use it to power the front two, or the front 3? or should I let the RZ830 handle it. Would there be ANY benefit in using the SR5006 for any other than the 2 height speakers ?

I am sure I will have more questions but ill post as they come to me. lets start with this.

Thanks in advance !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR5006.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	2560250   Click image for larger version

Name:	RZ830.png
Views:	15
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2560252  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can you the Marantz to power the 2 unit of speakers but with a caveat each time you on and off the unit you’ll have to set back the volume.
And probably the input to pure direct.
The only you can get away with it is to leave it on and hide the remote in a drawer.
But leaving AVR on,continuously could pose a risk of damage to the avr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Your overthinking it.

Run the Height 2 outs on the Onkyo to the Front R&L 7.1 ins on the Marantz. Run speaker wire from the Marantz front L R posts to your Height 2 speakers.

Set the marantz source to preouts, and the marantz volume to 75 to 80% percent of max( most avrs have capability to set the on volume to a set point in the settings menu). Run onkyos calibration software and enjoy.

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddman36 View Post
Your overthinking it.

Run the Height 2 outs on the Onkyo to the Front R&L 7.1 ins on the Marantz. Run speaker wire from the Marantz front L R posts to your Height 2 speakers.

Set the marantz source to preouts, and the marantz volume to 75 to 80% percent of max( most avrs have capability to set the on volume to a set point in the settings menu). Run onkyos calibration software and enjoy.

Yep this will do the Job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toddman36 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Now go do it, and report back how sweet 7.x.4 sounds!

I only have 7.2.2 But it sounds amazing with Atmos/DTS:X content

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
post #6 of 6 Old 04-30-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21858 Post(s)
Liked: 11850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Corcoran View Post
1) It looks like my SR5006 has analog inputs for each channel in a 7.1 Setup ( RZ830 does not? is that normal ) so if I wanted to power the remaining 2 height channels I simply use the RCA outputs on the PRE OUT section of the RZ830 and plug them into any of the RCA 7.1CHN INPUTS. Then run the corresponding speaker cable to the height speakers from the SR5006.

2) if this is right, how do I setup the SR5006 to pass an untouched and clean signal? wouldnt the reciever have its own processing and sound, making the heights sound different? would it be better to buy a simple standard 2 channel amp?

3) if I have the SR5006 to use, maybe I should use it to power other speakers? maybe use it to power the front two, or the front 3? or should I let the RZ830 handle it. Would there be ANY benefit in using the SR5006 for any other than the 2 height speakers ?
1. Generally multi analog inputs are not found on other than upper level models or pre/pros. Marantz is an exception, placing them on all of their SR models going back many years.
2. Connecting to the multi analog inputs will ensure an untouched signal is passed to the speakers, no further setting required on the Marantz other than selecting the source as "7.1CH In" and setting the volume at 80/0dB.
3. Although the RZ830 is more powerful, using the SR5006 to power at least the Front L/R speakers will take a load off of the RZ830. If you prefer, the SR5006 should also be able to power the Center as well, although in actuality could be used to power up to 7 speakers using the multi analog inputs.

Further questions are best served posted in the RZ830 discussion thread --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ntroduced.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page