Onkyo TX-RZ840 9.2 Channel A/V Network Receiver - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #241 of 273 Old 11-12-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can someone tell me how tall this is without feet?
My yamaha rxa 2060 is 7.5..
And that just fits to the millimeter..
I know this unit is supposed to be 8"..I need to reduce the height by putting lower feet..so I need to know how tall they are..

Help!
asabrag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 273 Old 11-12-2019, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Palumbo View Post

to the millimeter..

Help!
post #243 of 273 Old 11-13-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I love you man!!!!
TY...
asabrag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 273 Old 11-21-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having trouble with cec and arc between my tv and my rz840. The receiver does not turn on the TV. And sometimes the tv does not even have the option to choose the receiver as sound output.

I have tried different cables both hdmi 1.4 and 2.1. I have it connected to arc on the TV and the receiver. I have the tv set to cec and the receiver as well. I have earc turned on and works with sonos turned on.

What can I do to make it work?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #245 of 273 Old 11-21-2019, 03:03 PM

Does anybody know what does the Super Resolution 1-2-3-Off on the TV Out does?
post #246 of 273 Old 11-23-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm considering an RZ840 or RZ740 to replace an NR838. Upgrading to get HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos to pass through from my SHIELD and XBOX One X. Also need to maintain my Zone 2 HDMI and powered speaker outputs. I have 7.2 zone 1 and a stereo zone 2.

Would only do the RZ840 if it's less than 7 5/8" tall without feet. From asabrag's photo (thanks!) it looks like it's 18.1 cm = 7 1/8", so that's an option (with very little space for ventilation).

Any impressions or gotchas from owners? Is HDMI switching and audio format switching fast and reliable? Anyone tried out Zone 2? Anyone using it from a Harmony remote?

I saw the notes re: Atmos problems with XBOX; was that for bluray or gaming or both?
post #247 of 273 Old 11-23-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn337 View Post
I'm considering an RZ840 or RZ740 to replace an NR838. Upgrading to get HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos to pass through from my SHIELD and XBOX One X. Also need to maintain my Zone 2 HDMI and powered speaker outputs. I have 7.2 zone 1 and a stereo zone 2.

Would only do the RZ840 if it's less than 7 5/8" tall without feet. From asabrag's photo (thanks!) it looks like it's 18.1 cm = 7 1/8", so that's an option (with very little space for ventilation).

Any impressions or gotchas from owners? Is HDMI switching and audio format switching fast and reliable? Anyone tried out Zone 2? Anyone using it from a Harmony remote?

I saw the notes re: Atmos problems with XBOX; was that for bluray or gaming or both?
No issues on XBox playing Atmos Blu Ray Discs. Those get bitstreamed adequately.

I wouldn't install it with such little air vent.
I am still loving it, so I would still go for it and make it some proper space for it
I just discovered IMAX passess through ARC over core DTS
post #248 of 273 Old 11-23-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
No issues on XBox playing Atmos Blu Ray Discs. Those get bitstreamed adequately.

I wouldn't install it with such little air vent.
I am still loving it, so I would still go for it and make it some proper space for it
I just discovered IMAX passess through ARC over core DTS
How do you like IMAX?

I ask because I am building a new dedicated 7.2.4 HT that will be 100% movies and concert Blu-ray's and trying to decide between the 730/830 or the 740/840. The Onkyo will be used as a processor only.
post #249 of 273 Old 11-24-2019, 05:50 AM

I have encountered one more problem. This time with sonos. Several times now after sonos has woken the receiver to start playing, the receiver has shut itself off after about 1.45 to two minutes.

I have returned one rz840 because of this problem and because of the hdmi problem where the TV would stop finding it as a sound output source. I thought the unit might be faulty. But now I am replicating the exact same problems as I had before. Does anyone any of you guys have any experience with this or advice on what to do?

post #250 of 273 Old 11-24-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudogp250 View Post
How do you like IMAX?

I ask because I am building a new dedicated 7.2.4 HT that will be 100% movies and concert Blu-ray's and trying to decide between the 730/830 or the 740/840. The Onkyo will be used as a processor only.
I only tested it with the Space Station Imax DTS X and I was blown away!
Suddenly I literally found myself in the middle of of a twister where an atomic bomb just exploded.
(It caught me by surprise while repositioning the surround bac speaker).
I dont know any movie with Imax Sound besides the Imax documentaries.
I always preferred DTS over Dolby, hope with Imax, DTS starts winning some of the lost ground against Atmos.
loudogp250 likes this.
post #251 of 273 Old 11-24-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbringer View Post
I have encountered one more problem. This time with sonos. Several times now after sonos has woken the receiver to start playing, the receiver has shut itself off after about 1.45 to two minutes.

I have returned one rz840 because of this problem and because of the hdmi problem where the TV would stop finding it as a sound output source. I thought the unit might be faulty. But now I am replicating the exact same problems as I had before. Does anyone any of you guys have any experience with this or advice on what to do?

I don't own any Sonos. Should I?

Regarding the ARC: do u have CEC On at both ends? I prefer to have it off at the 840 so I am able to change inputs with the 840 in stand by, but in this case I sometimes find myself dealing with the issue you mention. But if i turn Cec on at both ends no problem at all.
Sunbringer likes this.
post #252 of 273 Old 11-24-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I don't own any Sonos. Should I?

Regarding the ARC: do u have CEC On at both ends? I prefer to have it off at the 840 so I am able to change inputs with the 840 in stand by, but in this case I sometimes find myself dealing with the issue you mention. But if i turn Cec on at both ends no problem at all.
Thank you for the response!

Yes I have cec on at both ends. What TV do you have it connected to? Mine is a Samsung q6fn.

asabrag likes this.
post #253 of 273 Old 11-24-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbringer View Post
thank you for the response!

Yes i have cec on at both ends. What tv do you have it connected to? Mine is a samsung q6fn.

Sent from my sm-n975f using tapatalk
lg c7
Sunbringer likes this.
post #254 of 273 Old 11-25-2019, 06:19 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
If I were you, I would exchange it for a Denon. I really hate Denon sound but for the first time in a lot of years being Onkyo blood fan and love the distinctive Onkyo sound, If I had the chance (return period expired 3-Oct), I would exchange it.

I received answer from Japan:

"Dolby has updated DolbyAtmos (1.6) on the latest version of TX-RZ840. It supports DolbyAtmos signal.
If Old version of Dolby Atmos signal is sent to the 840, it will be misrecognized as [MultichPCM] due to limitations of the old Dolby Atmos signal. Sorry for the inconvenience, but when playing the corresponding game sound, press the “i” button to check the input audio format. If:
① Display Input sound is [Multich PCM 5.1ch], [Multich PCM 7.1ch], etc. ⇒Sorry, there are limitations on the playback device side or compatibility with this unit. Input is in multi-channel PCM format due to problems.
In this case, unfortunately, it will be difficult to resolve, so thank you for your understanding.
② Display is [Multich PCM 5.1.2ch], [Multich PCM 7.1.2ch], [Multich PCM 5.1.4ch], etc. ⇒Originally, there is no 5.1.2 / 7.1.2 / 7.1.4 ch format for multi-channel PCM. Therefore, this case corresponds to the above-mentioned misrecognition specification. Although it is mistakenly recognized If you select the [Multich] listening mode, the DolbyAtmos audio is played as it is. It will be the same as if displayed as Dolby Atmos, so please enjoy it as it is. Thank you for your patience."

I just answered no amount of channels is displayed in the Input Signal.
Hi asabrag,

Did you get further answer from Onkyo Support? If you did/once you do, would you mind sharing it please?

I have exactly the same issue with Xbox and tx-rz740 receiver. Things go exactly as you described - if I choose "Atmos" in Xbox settings, I get "Multich" as input (no channels specified) and "Multich 5.0/5.0.2/5.0.4" (whichever I specify in Onkyo settings) as output. I haven't installed ceiling speakers yet, so I can't tell whether Atmos actually works or not. Yet, if I play Dolby's demo files from my Android TV box, the receiver does show Atmos signal.

If there's anything I can do to help you get Onkyo's attention to this case, just let me know.

Other than that weird Xbox issue, I really like the receiver. The sound is really great, the UI is friendly and there are super convenient things like TuneIn with autosearch of local radio stations through internet. I live in rural area where there's no FM signal, yet I love listening to a couple of radio stations. The receiver was able to find them (and a handful of other stations).

And by the way - I re-checked my old Yamaha rx-v681, it does display "Atmos/PCM" when used with Xbox, Atmos enabled. So, looks like Onkyo indeed misrecognizes the signal. Hopefully it's just the text and it doesn't affect actual sound processing, but... if it's really Atmos, it would be much more comfortable to see clear "Atmos" indication rather than "multich". And besides, if it's just about the text, it should be easy to fix, no?
post #255 of 273 Old 11-25-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneb1984 View Post
Hi asabrag,

Did you get further answer from Onkyo Support? If you did/once you do, would you mind sharing it please?

I have exactly the same issue with Xbox and tx-rz740 receiver. Things go exactly as you described - if I choose "Atmos" in Xbox settings, I get "Multich" as input (no channels specified) and "Multich 5.0/5.0.2/5.0.4" (whichever I specify in Onkyo settings) as output. I haven't installed ceiling speakers yet, so I can't tell whether Atmos actually works or not. Yet, if I play Dolby's demo files from my Android TV box, the receiver does show Atmos signal.

If there's anything I can do to help you get Onkyo's attention to this case, just let me know.

Other than that weird Xbox issue, I really like the receiver. The sound is really great, the UI is friendly and there are super convenient things like TuneIn with autosearch of local radio stations through internet. I live in rural area where there's no FM signal, yet I love listening to a couple of radio stations. The receiver was able to find them (and a handful of other stations).

And by the way - I re-checked my old Yamaha rx-v681, it does display "Atmos/PCM" when used with Xbox, Atmos enabled. So, looks like Onkyo indeed misrecognizes the signal. Hopefully it's just the text and it doesn't affect actual sound processing, but... if it's really Atmos, it would be much more comfortable to see clear "Atmos" indication rather than "multich". And besides, if it's just about the text, it should be easy to fix, no?
Hi, no, no additional information from Onkyo. It will be great if you all write to them too, emphasizing that its annoying not seeing Atmos when all other Receivers, even from Onkyo, display Atmos properly, even if they say the signal is being handled properly if 7.1.4 is displayed.
I LOVE the receiver too. I really miss some things from the Denon and only one from the 681, but I wont change the Onkyo sound for any other brand Again!

By the way, I know some people received an update to Dolby Access App in the XBox to version 3.1. Did you? I was hoping the new version solves the issue.
post #256 of 273 Old 11-25-2019, 08:19 AM

Sure, I'll definitely write them. Could you please let me know which email address you used for contacting them? Also, can you let me know your case/ticket number with Onkyo? I think it will be really useful to speed things up (I am former support engineer, I know some tricks on how such things normally work )

I will check Dolby Atmos version once I get back home. That said, even if I get the update, I'll only be able to test thing out on Saturday as my Onkyo receiver is in my country house. I hope that's not too late
asabrag likes this.
post #257 of 273 Old 11-25-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Sure, I'll definitely write them. Could you please let me know which email address you used for contacting them? Also, can you let me know your case/ticket number with Onkyo? I think it will be really useful to speed things up (I am former support engineer, I know some tricks on how such things normally work )

I will check Dolby Atmos version once I get back home. That said, even if I get the update, I'll only be able to test thing out on Saturday as my Onkyo receiver is in my country house. I hope that's not too late
[email protected]

I wrote to Japan because theres no local branch here...
post #258 of 273 Old 11-25-2019, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I am considering an 840 but have a question that the manual is vague on and Hi Fi shops even vaguer.

I want to use it in the following way:

- HDMI out 1 to TV for day to day viewing
- HDMI out 2 to projector for films

My question is can the 12V trigger output be set to activate when I switch to HDMI 2 so the screen extends?

My current ONKYO only fires the 12V trigger when Zone 2 is selected which is no good.

Thanks in advance for your help (and hurry I have money burning a hole in my pocket! )

Ben
post #259 of 273 Old 11-29-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Pardon me for delayed news.

1. So I wrote to Onkyo JP Support and got pretty much similar answer. They confirm that while the receiver displays "multich", this doesn't affect actual sound processing, so it actually gives out Atmos. They explain this is happening because RZ740 is using updated Atmos format v. 1.6 while Xbox is sending v. 1.5 which is qualified as "PCM multichannel" based on v1.6 specification.

2. I did get v3.1 update for Dolby Access app on my Xbox One X. I does NOT change the receiver's behavior - I still get 'Multich PCM'. The change is however - the app now has the 'channel upmixer' switch. So looks like Dolby Atmos upmixing feature is finally here.

I can't check whether it upmixes non-Atmos signals to height channels as my speakers are still on the way. I will report my findings as I get and install the speakers.

I hope this helps.
asabrag likes this.
post #260 of 273 Old 11-29-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Pardon me for delayed news.

1. So I wrote to Onkyo JP Support and got pretty much similar answer. They confirm that while the receiver displays "multich", this doesn't affect actual sound processing, so it actually gives out Atmos. They explain this is happening because RZ740 is using updated Atmos format v. 1.6 while Xbox is sending v. 1.5 which is qualified as "PCM multichannel" based on v1.6 specification.

2. I did get v3.1 update for Dolby Access app on my Xbox One X. I does NOT change the receiver's behavior - I still get 'Multich PCM'. The change is however - the app now has the 'channel upmixer' switch. So looks like Dolby Atmos upmixing feature is finally here.

I can't check whether it upmixes non-Atmos signals to height channels as my speakers are still on the way. I will report my findings as I get and install the speakers.

I hope this helps.
Thanks! Jiber jaber
I received 3.1 two nights ago.
Lie after lie.

Below the upmixer slider, you will find two links:
1) Enjoy Dolby Atmos Games... that's ok.
2) Enjoy Dolby Atmos Movies in MS Movies & Tv, none has Atmos track!!

I ended up buying an Nvidia Shield. Hopefully arrives this Wednesday.
post #261 of 273 Old 12-02-2019, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently purchased the TX RZ840 and it does pass through HDR from Amazon app on Xbox on X. The picture 1 is from Xbox video setup when Xbox directly connected to the TV and picture 2 is when Xbox connected to the RZ840 first and it looks like some features are not supported. Is there anything I can do to fix that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_001756.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	2648680   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_001832.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	2648682  
post #262 of 273 Old 12-03-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 221
@kinghappy I thought there was pcm/bitstream output issue with the xbox one x, receiver and DV / HDR10 content?? I can't find the avsforum thread, only this one.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...dr-on-xbox-one
post #263 of 273 Old 12-03-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghappy View Post
I recently purchased the TX RZ840 and it does pass through HDR from Amazon app on Xbox on X. The picture 1 is from Xbox video setup when Xbox directly connected to the TV and picture 2 is when Xbox connected to the RZ840 first and it looks like some features are not supported. Is there anything I can do to fix that?
You have top activate the Enhanced HDMI on the Onkyo.
Edit: try this: and do not return it
Press and hold BD//DVD on the front panel then On/Off switch.
VisionxOrb and kinghappy like this.

Last edited by asabrag; 12-03-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #264 of 273 Old 12-03-2019, 03:12 PM

I am getting this message while connected to the receiver. Is there a setting that I have missed on the onkyo?

Last edited by Sunbringer; 12-03-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #265 of 273 Old 12-03-2019, 03:12 PM

I am getting this message while connected to the receiver. Is there a setting that I have missed on the onkyo?

post #266 of 273 Old 12-04-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbringer View Post

did you enable enhanced hdmi mode on the onkyo?
dwaleke likes this.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #267 of 273 Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
did you enable enhanced hdmi mode on the onkyo?
I have not found such a setting. I searched through the manual and through all the menus in the settings.

I have now returned the receiver after all the trouble I have had with it and I bought a marantz instead. Unfortunately I loose some features that made me choose the onkyo in the first place. But I really hope that everything will work with all my connections and the hdmi cec with the marantz.

post #268 of 273 Old 12-04-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I’ve been reading through this thread as I’m looking to update my current AVR setup. I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 that has served me well. It had been in for repairs to the HDMI board, but has been solid since. Is the RZ840 the logical upgrade path here? I’ve been overall happy with the power of my old 809, but I’m not sure how this model stacks up power-wise.

Thanks!
post #269 of 273 Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
You have top activate the Enhanced HDMI on the Onkyo.
Quote:
Edit: try this: and do not return it
Press and hold BD//DVD on the front panel then On/Off switch.
Thank you very much! now it works. I do not know how I missed this on the manual. That is so weird why these AVR does not come with this option as default, and why they do not make the option available in the regular setup menu
asabrag likes this.
post #270 of 273 Old 12-05-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghappy View Post
Thank you very much! now it works. I do not know how I missed this on the manual. That is so weird why these AVR does not come with this option as default, and why they do not make the option available in the regular setup menu
I totally agree! I know people who returned the units for this blaming the Hdmi board!!
And, but the way to make it even worse: "it's not in the manual"
Sunbringer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page