Amp similar to the Emotiva XPR series - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By DonH50
  • 1 Post By juanchibiris

post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2019, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Amp similar to the Emotiva XPR series

I finally hooked up my center channel Yorkville u215. I run my LR off an Emotiva XPR-2 and now the center off an crown 1500 something or other. The crown sounds awful compared to the Emotiva. It has a ton of noise, the bass is truly lacking, highs are bland. Ive always been hesitant to say amps make a difference but not anymore. with that being said, what would a equivlant be for a single channel to the XPR-2? Finding XPR-1s are next to impossible these days so whats the newest and best option to go with? Doesnt have to be emotiva, ideally something Rack mountable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3267 Post(s)
Liked: 3345
You could swap channels on the Crown with one of the other speakers/amps and re-run your room EQ program to see if it really is that amp. Other Crowns have greater SNR specs, but a high-powered amp driving highly-sensitive compression drivers in the home is a recipe for hiss. Bass lacking strikes me as unusual; sure the amp is working properly? I don't know what you mean by "bland" highs.

For Emotiva, the XPA-DR1 is the current equivalent to the XPR-1. You may also be able to get by with a PA-1; with 98 dB/W/m speakers that would probably be more than enough power.

There are a myriad of other amplifiers from ATI, Outlaw, etc. that may suffice. ATI's amplifiers have high SNR so may be a good choice.
stegen likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2019, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
There's an used XPR-2 in usaudiomart if you want to have a matching amp, just use 1 channel out of it.

Enviado desde mi SM-N9600 mediante Tapatalk
stegen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
You could swap channels on the Crown with one of the other speakers/amps and re-run your room EQ program to see if it really is that amp. Other Crowns have greater SNR specs, but a high-powered amp driving highly-sensitive compression drivers in the home is a recipe for hiss. Bass lacking strikes me as unusual; sure the amp is working properly? I don't know what you mean by "bland" highs.
I balanced all 3 speakers using REW. When I would mute them one by one and compare, the bass off the center is just not there. The same for the highs, bland and muddled, no sharpness at all. I am assuming the amp works fine, i have it bridged but will try it off 1 channel to see what happens. The amp is nearly new from crown though a few years old. Is it possible to have a ground loop signal in just 1 of my amps regarding the hiss?

Ill look into the newest Emotiva. I dont want to buy a xpr-2 and only use 1 channel. I can wait around till something better comes along.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post
I balanced all 3 speakers using REW. When I would mute them one by one and compare, the bass off the center is just not there. The same for the highs, bland and muddled, no sharpness at all. I am assuming the amp works fine, i have it bridged but will try it off 1 channel to see what happens. The amp is nearly new from crown though a few years old. Is it possible to have a ground loop signal in just 1 of my amps regarding the hiss?

Ill look into the newest Emotiva. I dont want to buy a xpr-2 and only use 1 channel. I can wait around till something better comes along.
No bass is really strange... Sounds like the EQ for the center is hosed. Or the amp (or something) is bad. I would try swapping with another channel, using just one side of the Crown, to see if it follows the amp or stays with the center speaker channel when you swap amps. That is, move inputs and outputs to put the Crown into the e.g. the L channel and L channel of the Emotiva into the center. That way you can see if it really is the Crown and not something else in the system. You can also see if both channels of the Crown (used independently) have the same problem. Maybe one channel is out.

Are you using XLR connections everywhere? Is there a switch on the Crown for balanced/unbalanced operation, is it in the right position for the cables you are using? Double check all the switches etc. (I am sure you've already done that, sanity check.)

It is possible to have a loop in just one amp as a ground loop depends upon the amp's input and safety ground circuitry. But, if the hiss is just HF hissing with no lower-frequency buzzing and humming, it is probably not a ground loop. I suspect there's just too much gain and too low SNR for those speakers in your room using the Crown. You could try running just one channel of the Crown instead of bridging; that may reduce the hiss. Some of Crown's higher models have better SNR specs but you may just need a different amp for this situation.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
No bass is really strange... Sounds like the EQ for the center is hosed. Or the amp (or something) is bad. I would try swapping with another channel, using just one side of the Crown, to see if it follows the amp or stays with the center speaker channel when you swap amps. That is, move inputs and outputs to put the Crown into the e.g. the L channel and L channel of the Emotiva into the center. That way you can see if it really is the Crown and not something else in the system. You can also see if both channels of the Crown (used independently) have the same problem. Maybe one channel is out.

Are you using XLR connections everywhere? Is there a switch on the Crown for balanced/unbalanced operation, is it in the right position for the cables you are using? Double check all the switches etc. (I am sure you've already done that, sanity check.)

It is possible to have a loop in just one amp as a ground loop depends upon the amp's input and safety ground circuitry. But, if the hiss is just HF hissing with no lower-frequency buzzing and humming, it is probably not a ground loop. I suspect there's just too much gain and too low SNR for those speakers in your room using the Crown. You could try running just one channel of the Crown instead of bridging; that may reduce the hiss. Some of Crown's higher models have better SNR specs but you may just need a different amp for this situation.

HTH - Don
If i turn the gains down the hiss mostly goes away but then I cant get the levels to match the LR, unless i go full tilt on the MINIDSP for the center which is most likely what I will have to do. Ive checked switches and all looks right. I dont have XLRs except a few places in my system. Im using a clean box pro to boost my signals over RCA. Ill do some channel swapping this weekend and see if it follows any logical path. Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 07:18 AM

I know the earlier single-ended miniDSP's did not have enough drive for a pro amp; the balanced and later HD versions have more output.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Emotiva switches the polarity of the Xlr input. This could easily explain why a different app makes such a dramatic difference. Trying switching the amp output polarity
post #9 of 9 Old 10-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Grab yourself an XPA-1 for your center channel speaker...
You'll be golden..

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-1 Rythmik FV25HP & 4 HSU VTF-MK5-HP, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page