denon 8500 VS denon 6500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 2 Post By Squirrel!
  • 3 Post By Erod
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-02-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 0
denon 8500 VS denon 6500

denon 8500 VS denon 6500

it is not understandable why the 8500 denon costs $ 4000
6500 denon costs about $ 2,000?

Why the price gaps?

150W in front of 140W
13.2 versus 11.2
This is not significant differences BUT in price double ?

Table of differences
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...vers/avrx8500h
la1vi9872 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 05-02-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I own no high end gear, but I will take a stab at it for you!

The x8500 brings back front wides (rare), has the ability to do 6 atmos channels and has 13 channels built-in, in case space is limited in the AV rack or entertainment center.
eriksells916 is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
I own no high end gear, but I will take a stab at it for you!

The x8500 brings back front wides (rare), has the ability to do 6 atmos channels and has 13 channels built-in, in case space is limited in the AV rack or entertainment center.
Really do not think so.
another 2 top speakers are worth $ 2000 more on the AVR

You have not brought any logical links to your thinking

Something in the AVR's engine is different
la1vi9872 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by la1vi9872 View Post
Really do not think so.
another 2 top speakers are worth $ 2000 more on the AVR

You have not brought any logical links to your thinking

Something in the AVR's engine is different
Yes, he put thought into his reply. Yes, the processing and added channels are likely a huge jump in design and build costs. The 8500 integrates ALL AI formats, has a larger transformer, etc... Just because YOU don't think it is worth it, is meaningless. If you are having such a difficult time accepting the 8500 price, just buy the 6500 and add an external amp. VOILA! You have a poor mans 8500!

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sean Spamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,342
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by la1vi9872 View Post
Really do not think so.
another 2 top speakers are worth $ 2000 more on the AVR

You have not brought any logical links to your thinking

Something in the AVR's engine is different

While the price might not be justified for you or many of us, his answer is quite straight forward to me - not sure what you mean by 'logical' unless you'd like him to spout some marketing fluff to make it more feasible to you.



How's this then: The clarity attained from the better caps used on the circuit board will bring your music to new heights!

Denon X-4300 | Onkyo M-282 | Audio Technica AT-LP3 | HTPC |
Polk RTiA3 x 6 - RTiA6 x 1 - Polk Atrium 5 x 4 | PSA 15s | PSA XS30
Epson HC 2100 | 100" Elite Screen |
Sean Spamilton is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,052
Mentioned: 702 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Yes, he put thought into his reply. Yes, the processing and added channels are likely a huge jump in design and build costs. The 8500 integrates ALL AI formats, has a larger transformer, etc... Just because YOU don't think it is worth it, is meaningless. If you are having such a difficult time accepting the 8500 price, just buy the 6500 and add an external amp. VOILA! You have a poor mans 8500!
The X6500H is an 11CH AVR only capable of 11CH processing. No further expansion is possible as is the case for the 9CH X4500H that can be expanded to 11CH using an external 2CH amp.
Squirrel! likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-07-2019 at 07:15 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 5,329
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Historically, adding the last 2 channels has always cost an arm and a leg. No matter who the manufacturer is/was. Because some want the best and are willing to pay for it.
KidHorn is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 138
thanks @Squirrel! and @Seanspamilton
eriksells916 is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 05-08-2019, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 0
All you have brought is your line of thinking / Personal logic

Not backed up or brought proof that the gap is $ 2000
Just comes from adding 2 channels!

No such answer can be taken seriously
Without proof, worthless

Sorry you need to bring proof!
Need to bring links!
la1vi9872 is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The X6500H is an 11CH AVR only capable of 11CH processing. No further expansion is possible as is the case for the 9CH X4500H that can be expanded to 11CH using an external 2CH amp.
Aha...Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by la1vi9872 View Post
All you have brought is your line of thinking / Personal logic

Not backed up or brought proof that the gap is $ 2000
Just comes from adding 2 channels!

No such answer can be taken seriously
Without proof, worthless

Sorry you need to bring proof!
Need to bring links!
Sorry, we don't "need to bring" anything. If you can't understand the concept and reasoning, that's all on you. A manufacturer has no obligation to tell you the reason for their pricing structure. If you like it, buy it, if not, don't.
eriksells916 and Mikejl like this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 05-08-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,807
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by la1vi9872 View Post
All you have brought is your line of thinking / Personal logic

Not backed up or brought proof that the gap is $ 2000
Just comes from adding 2 channels!

No such answer can be taken seriously
Without proof, worthless

Sorry you need to bring proof!
Need to bring links!
Allow me to explain capitalism for you. A product is worth EXACTLY what people will pay for it. Period.

The "link" you're searching for is www.denon.com. The "proof" you so desperately crave is that Denon is charging $4,000. Your issue is with them, not people here.

You want the 8500 for $2,500, we get it. Ain't happening, say Denon. If people don't pay the $4K, the price will drop. If they do, you're going to have to pony up.

I have Anthem equipment, which I paid a pretty penny for. It was my choice. That's the way all this works. Capiche?

Wait a while, and it'll come down. Right about when the 15.2 receivers show up.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights

Last edited by Erod; 05-08-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Erod is online now  
post #12 of 22 Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 AM
Member
 
bluefire529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Processing 13+ channels does not come cheap. Even Monoprice's new pre/pro (no power amps included) is coming in ~$4000 and it is one of the least expensive options. 13 power amps does not come cheap. Engineering (circuitry layout/cooling/power & noise handling/etc.) this beast is not cheap.

8500 adds 20lbs in weight over the 6500. Denon did not just take a 6500 and plop 2 additional amps into the device. There is obviously more going on than just the 2 channels.

In addition, Denon's flagship receivers are designed with a multi-year shelf life whereas the lower models are designed to be refreshed every year (this year being different due to HDMI availability). A lot of forward-thinking goes into something like that and it starts much sooner than a product that gets refreshed on a yearly schedule. I am speculating here, but I would not be surprised if there is a different, higher-end design team for the flagship products vs the 6500 and lower.

Check out photos of the rear panels and internals for each model. They are both very different.

I am not sure what links you are hoping to find or have someone provide. Denon does not provide a BOM (Bill of Materials listing every part and the cost of each part) you can download. Even if so, that would not cover engineering/production/packaging/marketing/shipping/etc. costs (yes, every one of those steps and more is calculated in the final price).

Then, there is the almighty markup. For every product, the higher level has a bit more markup. Think trims in the car market. The base model may be $15000. When you step up to the top of the line, you may be looking at $30,000. Is there really twice the car value there? No. But, to some consumers, they want/need the options and conveniences provided.
bluefire529 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 05-09-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,052
Mentioned: 702 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11953
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Aha...Gotcha!



Sorry, we don't "need to bring" anything. If you can't understand the concept and reasoning, that's all on you.
Again wrong, the manufacturer has never claimed that double price because of another 2 channels!
You claimed it !!!
Because you claim it you have the responsibility to prove it!
You claim that you have no proof of what you write, so do not take anything into account


A manufacturer has no obligation to tell you the reason for their pricing structure. If you like it, buy it, if not, don't.
If the manufacturer does not claim it, is that your invention?
You have no proof, as you say.


....
la1vi9872 is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 05-22-2019, 07:01 AM
Member
 
smile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
How's this then: The clarity attained from the better caps used on the circuit board will bring your music to new heights!

Then hell, worth every penny!
smile is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 05-24-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by la1vi9872 View Post
If the manufacturer does not claim it, is that your invention?
You have no proof, as you say.


....
Now you are just being a troll. You have been told the manufacturer doesn't disclose it. I stated nothing as fact. You need to get out of here. You are doing nothing more than trying to incite. Buh-bye.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550

Last edited by Squirrel!; 05-27-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Squirrel! is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 05-24-2019, 12:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Near Cape Canaveral
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I had a brief chance to buy a new 6500 for $1500 and took it. Didn't spend too much time thinking about the 8500. My back should thank me.
uhdnut is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm not really following all receiver brands that closely, but are there many other 13.2 receivers around? If not then that in itself is a reason for Denon to set the price way up, exclusivity.
Bnaan is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cotati, CA
Posts: 11,842
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Easy to calculate...
The AVR market of $3000-$4000(SRP) is a 3% market for unit sales, AVR market of $1800-$2500(SRP) is a 12% market for unit sales...
The lower AVR market of $1800-$2500 sells 4X the # of units sold..

Just my $0.02...
M Code is online now  
post #20 of 22 Old 05-24-2019, 07:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Historically, adding the last 2 channels has always cost an arm and a leg. No matter who the manufacturer is/was. Because some want the best and are willing to pay for it.
Exactly.
Chaendler is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 07-05-2019, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Now you are just being a troll. You have been told the manufacturer doesn't disclose it. I stated nothing as fact. You need to get out of here. You are doing nothing more than trying to incite. Buh-bye.
NO Now you are just a troll
la1vi9872 is offline  
post #22 of 22 Old 07-06-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by la1vi9872 View Post
NO Now you are just a troll
HAHAHAHA...Still trying to incite, I see. What a troll...LOL

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off