Best HT receiver for Elac in-wall setup? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By eriksells916
  • 1 Post By Jredlac

post #1 of 6 Old 05-06-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best HT receiver for Elac in-wall setup?

Hello - I've got a new set of Elac in-wall speakers, and am looking for a HT receiver recommendation, in a reasonable price range, but looking for good quality/reliability as a top priority.

Here's my speaker setup:
L/R: Elac Debut IW-D61-W
C: Elac Debut IW-DC51-W
SL/SR: Elac Debut IC-DT61-W
SW: TBD...likely doesn't matter for this question, but "as big as I can fit" is my motto.

These all run at 6 ohms, which I've never dealt with...and want to make sure the receiver I use is up to the task. Power recommendations from Elac are "30-120" watts RMS.

The setup is in my basement where the space and layout are a bit compromised, hence the in-wall speakers. Soundstage is rather wide, but I'll be sitting around 10 feet from the screen.

Requirements:
1. Some sort of mic calibration due to the goofy shape/layout of the room
2. While I'll initially be running 5.1, looking for a 7.x receiver for flexibility if I decide to add Atmos in the future
3. HDMI Video output with some sort of upscaling that hopefully works well
4. Ideally in the $500 or less pricepoint, unless there's a compelling reason to spend more

My current receiver considerations are:
1. Marantz NR1608 (50w RMS)
2. Yamaha TSR-7850 (~95w RMS)

Thank you in advance for any direction or suggestions!

Last edited by Jredlac; 05-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-06-2019, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 159
1. The marantz is good but uses a pretty basic room correction software solution, while the yammy has dual hdmi out and uses a little more advanced ypao with rsc, iirc. Both receivers seem to be good based on reviews here.

2. all of these are 7 channel receivers (exceptions see #4 )

3. everything but the Onkyo has video upscaling (see #4 )

4. If you stepped up to the denon x3400 then you get full pre-outs and xt32, which is supposed to be one of the best solutions under $1k and it includes correction for dual subs. Check the deals thread, the newer x3500h goes on sale at Frys often and that avr now includes a phono input, should you have vinyl? The 7850 already has a phono input.

If you want more power and more channels than the 7850 or x3400 then the onkyo rz730/830 and Pio lx503 are all right around your max budget. They are all 9 channels but can expand to 11 with ext amp.

You just have to decide which features are the most important to you and go from there. Hope that helped?
Jredlac likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-06-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, that is helpful and gives me a few more options to look at.

Is there any actual concern with the 6 ohm speakers - brands that handle this better than others, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Nope all of those should handle 6 ohms just fine. All of those have preouts for the fronts too so if you need more power scotty then you can get an external amp, lol!

I forgot to add the sony str-dn1080 as well as the onkyo nr686. In this price range those too are often recommended. Neither have preouts and have ok room correction software but the Onkyo has a ton of features and is heavily discounted with the new 2019 models coming out soon.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2019, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Cool Update!

Since these threads seem to rarely get updated, I wanted to post the update that I got the Costco Yamaha TSR-7850, and it seems to pair really nicely with the Elac in-wall Debut speakers right out of the box. They sound really really clean. I'm particularly fond of good bass, so I've just sprung for the SVS SB-3000, and I am in love.

As soon as the room is finished and presentable, I'll update the thread with pics, further impressions, etc., especially since the Elac in-wall speakers don't seem to have any actual reviews on here.

Thanks everyone for steering me in the right direction!
smithsabom likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2019, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

@Jredlac you should post that in the tsr7850 forum that is great news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page