Which receiver brand is best as processor pre-amp only? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 05-20-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
NAD 758v3 as it will give you 7.1.4 with Dirac Live.
Yes, very good choice. There is another model, the 777v3 with more powerful amps but if you are using all external amps than you don't need this. I have one and I will be using the NAD's amps for the LCR speakers and an eight channel amp for the rest of the speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 05-20-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 2273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
There is the T777v3 (the "and up"). Is Dirac a trivial processing feature? Not for me.

This was a list of the best IMO and IME based on the OP. That is all. My best value list would be quite different.
Huh? Where did you read that I stated Dirac was a trivial processing feature ? What I said is it's about the only reason to buy a NAD modular receiver because their feature set is lacking, their HDMI switching is buggy and they don't have an on screen display. They also have kind of a Frankenstein like build philosophy where they add USB dongles and what not over the years to older chassis like the one you mentioned to keep them up to date but inevitably don't end up working as well as features designed into the chassis from the jump. My Outlaw 5000 is a NAD design so yes they have very good power supplies but the rest of the design philosophy in their receiver line is just a mess IMHO. If i was spending the extra money I'd go to an Anthem with ARC or just buy Dirac in a MiniDSP and get a Denon or Yamaha. Anyways just like you this is all just my opinion. Good discussion.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #33 of 34 Old 05-20-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 4745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Huh? Where did you read that I stated Dirac was a trivial processing feature ?
It was a rhetorical question. Tone can be difficult to convey in forum posts. We can discuss/disagree in a constructive matter. It's all good.
Quote:
What I said is it's about the only reason to buy a NAD modular receiver because their feature set is lacking, their HDMI switching is buggy and they don't have an on screen display. They also have kind of a Frankenstein like build philosophy where they add USB dongles and what not over the years to older chassis like the one you mentioned to keep them up to date but inevitably don't end up working as well as features designed into the chassis from the jump.
I actually agree with everything you wrote. But the negatives you state are subjective and can even be positives for others (like me). I.E. the modular architecture and USB dongles for upgradrability. OSD overlay is more important to some than others.

In my list I did not take into account value/$ or features. Only the OP's criteria which I found intriguing.
Quote:
Let's say we only care about using an AVR for the home theater processing power, and rely on powerful dedicated amps to power most of the speakers in our theater.

In this scenario, which brand of AVR brand would reign supreme?
I'd bet if we made top 10 lists based on this criteria, no two lists would be identical.

Would you mind sharing your list (based only on the OP's criteria)?

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 05-20-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 05-20-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 2273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
It was a rhetorical question. Tone can be difficult to convey in forum posts. We can discuss/disagree in a constructive matter. It's all good.
Rhetorical to me means a question the poser of the question believes to be true but the respondant disagrees with which I didn't but I get what you mean regarding tone in posts. I just wanted to be clear that I have no issue with Dirac being a superior albeit expensive form of room correction and it is all good. We're just talking.

Quote:
I actually agree with everything you wrote. But the negatives you state are subjective and can even be positives for others (like me). I.E. the modular architecture and USB dongles for upgradrability. OSD overlay is more important to some than others.
I'll give you that but Spare Change's YT channel reviews a lot of receivers and power amps and he rated the NAD sound the best (due to Dirac) but the HDMI interopability the worst. Freezes fixed only by reboots, problems with ATV playback etc.. The mobile phone companies,also tried this modular design strategy a few years back and it crashed and burned. Samsung TV's have had similar issues using it. It sounds great in theory.

Quote:
In my list I did not take into account value/$ or features. Only the OP's criteria which I found intriguing.
I'd bet if we made top 10 lists based on this criteria, no two lists would be identical.

Would you mind sharing your list (based only on the OP's criteria)?
I got that but using the NAD as a pre pro when the power supply is one of its best features and the rest(other than Dirac) not so much isn't a plus IMHO. I dont have a list per se just my recommend of Denon or Anthem. Some of the other makes you listed I'm not informed enough on to put in a list. I researched NAD, Anthem, Denon and Yamaha the most before I replaced my last receiver so those are the ones I feel informed enough on to weigh in on. Again just my opinions and I can and have been wrong regarding them in the past. Good talking to you Marc.
Marc Alexander likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 05-21-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page