Will I benefit from an Atmos Amp? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will I benefit from an Atmos Amp?

Hi all,

I am upgrading my dedicated home theatre room and I'm getting some great advice. Thanks!

I am on a budget so I am generally buying second hand. The last piece of this puzzle is the Amp. The toss up is a second hand RX-V2073 (~$400AUD) vs a runout RX-V2083 (~$1500AUD). Given the cheapness of the 2073 I can afford to run with that for a couple of years and upgrade PJ and Amp again, assuming I am not missing out on anything now?

I have purchased a second hand JVC X35 so 4K HDR is not necessary or desirable. I think I am comfortable that the RX-V2073 will do what I need from a video point of view. Correct me if I am wrong?

The main question is about audio. My room is as per the attached pic. I am not interested at this time in putting ceiling speakers in so any Atmos audio will be going through the FPL and SB speakers in either a 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 arrangement. Will I get any Atmos benefit from this arrangement? If not then the RX-V2073 will, I think, suit all my needs. If I will get some benefit then I will go for the RX-V2083. Whilst I will likely buy a standard Bluray player (Sony BDP-S6700) given my PJ I do watch a lot of Netflix and Google Play movies. Thus Atmos audio may be available there. If I can't get Atmos audio without the accompanying 4K HDR video then again I expect the 2073 would be the way to go given the limitations of the PJ.

I hope this explains my quandry. Which amp, given my constraints of PJ and speaker placement, will give me the best audio outcome? (And video if I am missing something there...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.png
Views:	38
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2568528  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
As far as I can tell, the 2073 does not decode Atmos (or DTS:X).

The layout that you provide would be appropriate for a 7.2.2 Atmos system. 5.2.4, not so much; you don't want to play height channels through base level speakers. If you could raise the rears and increase their spacing to be rear "presence" speakers, that'd be a supported Atmos config.

In my opinion, for home theater, the fronts (especially the center) and the subwoofers are the most important components. The surround and Atmos stuff is fun, but it's more in the nature of effects than fundamental audio. (I have a 7.2.4 Atmos system, so no sour grapes here.)
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 6914 Post(s)
Liked: 5873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumlov View Post
Will I get any Atmos benefit from this arrangement?
Yes, you will be able to separate sounds coming from around you versus sounds coming from above you. If you do a 7.1.2 layout, mount the 2 height speakers directly to your sides, as high up as possible on the side walls. If you do a 5.1.4 layout, mount the 4 height speakers as high up as possible on the front and back walls.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
As far as I can tell, the 2073 does not decode Atmos (or DTS:X).

The layout that you provide would be appropriate for a 7.2.2 Atmos system. 5.2.4, not so much; you don't want to play height channels through base level speakers. If you could raise the rears and increase their spacing to be rear "presence" speakers, that'd be a supported Atmos config.
Correct. As far as I can tell the major differences between the 2073 and 2083 are no HDCP 2.2 (thus no 4K HDR) and no Atmos/DTS:X.

So 7.2.2 will work? Is the consensus then that I should get the 2083 as I will see benefit from an audio point of view ($1000 worth of benefit!)? I am not sensing a strong opinion either way....?
post #5 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
If you do a 7.1.2 layout, mount the 2 height speakers directly to your sides, as high up as possible on the side walls. If you do a 5.1.4 layout, mount the 4 height speakers as high up as possible on the front and back walls.
Sorry the speaker layout is fixed as I showed in my diagram. I built the house and wired it up years ago and this is what I have. I don't want to put in extra speakers in the ceiling or anywhere else at this time.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 6914 Post(s)
Liked: 5873
Quote:
Sorry the speaker layout is fixed as I showed in my diagram.
In that case, the speakers high up on the front wall will give you a taller front soundstage but not the impression of sounds overhead (the way Atmos is intended to sound).

Sanjay
post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
In that case, the speakers high up on the front wall will give you a taller front soundstage but not the impression of sounds overhead (the way Atmos is intended to sound).
So would you recommend I get the 2073 as I won’t really get the Atmos or DTS:X benefit anyway?
post #8 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Any body else with any thoughts? I am torn on this decision!
post #9 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Liked: 1361
well if you get the RX-V2073 you won't get Atmos at all since that AVR doesn't do Atmos or DTS:X decoding. Yamaha will use the front heights though so you will get sound of some sort above you but it won't be the Atmos overhead object oriented sound.

It won't be 7.2.2. I will be 9.2 if the receiver has that capability.

You have to decide if Atmos decoding is worth the extra $1100. I don't think we can make that decision for you.

Afro GT
post #10 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Sorry the speaker layout is fixed as I showed in my diagram. I built the house and wired it up years ago and this is what I have. I don't want to put in extra speakers in the ceiling or anywhere else at this time.
As that's your choice, I think that spending a lot extra on an AVR that decodes Atmos would be mostly wasted.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
It won't be 7.2.2. I will be 9.2 if the receiver has that capability. You have to decide if Atmos decoding is worth the extra $1100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I think that spending a lot extra on an AVR that decodes Atmos would be mostly wasted.
Thanks guys. I am coming around to thinking that no it is not worth it until I wire in more speakers. If I can get that amp cheaply now I can upgrade again in a few years time for not much loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page