Budget: $2000

Room:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Room Layout.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	2568698

TV: LGC8 65"

Goal: Movies / PS4 95% of the time, may listen to some music. I'd like to take advantage of Atmos / 4K / HDR for sure. I'd really like to do 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 which has lead me to the Denon X4500 with an external amp (in the future) for the rest of the channels. This may be too much considering the budget so i'm open to suggestions. I'm alright with waiting for deals.

Concerns:

1. I believe the seating position and room size would allow me to eventually run 7.2.4. For now I'm alright with 5.1.4 to fit into the budget. The X4500 is almost half the budgeted amount, I know decent subs can be ~$500. Is what i'm looking for out of the price range that I have set for myself? Is there a better AVR option that allows me to eventually achieve the same goals? I've looked at some Yamaha's but they don't seem to allow for the same expansion with amps (and are pricier). I also like the idea of having nicer external amps with a cheaper AVR so that I can upgrade occasionally, but this may be an even more expensive option. Currently I have nothing so I'm starting from scratch. I'd like to buy something nice that will last me, and I know speakers are the better place to put money.

2. I was considering wall mounting speakers, but I can keep them more symmetrical if they are ceiling mounted (or a mixture of both). I'd rather not use speaker stands for the side / surrounds, and with the way the openings are in the room I can't wall mount them ear level. Will this cause issues? Would this make one of the speaker setups i'm looking at not worth it? If that's the case I may be able to get an AVR with less options (or higher quality) to save in that area. Is there anything else room wise that i'm not thinking of that would help with the decision?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlavor View Post
Budget: $2000

Room:

Attachment 2568698

TV: LGC8 65"

Goal: Movies / PS4 95% of the time, may listen to some music. I'd like to take advantage of Atmos / 4K / HDR for sure. I'd really like to do 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 which has lead me to the Denon X4500 with an external amp (in the future) for the rest of the channels. This may be too much considering the budget so i'm open to suggestions. I'm alright with waiting for deals.

Concerns:

1. I believe the seating position and room size would allow me to eventually run 7.2.4. For now I'm alright with 5.1.4 to fit into the budget. The X4500 is almost half the budgeted amount, I know decent subs can be ~$500. Is what i'm looking for out of the price range that I have set for myself? Is there a better AVR option that allows me to eventually achieve the same goals? I've looked at some Yamaha's but they don't seem to allow for the same expansion with amps (and are pricier). I also like the idea of having nicer external amps with a cheaper AVR so that I can upgrade occasionally, but this may be an even more expensive option. Currently I have nothing so I'm starting from scratch. I'd like to buy something nice that will last me, and I know speakers are the better place to put money.

2. I was considering wall mounting speakers, but I can keep them more symmetrical if they are ceiling mounted (or a mixture of both). I'd rather not use speaker stands for the side / surrounds, and with the way the openings are in the room I can't wall mount them ear level. Will this cause issues? Would this make one of the speaker setups i'm looking at not worth it? If that's the case I may be able to get an AVR with less options (or higher quality) to save in that area. Is there anything else room wise that i'm not thinking of that would help with the decision?

Thanks for the help.

Check the deals thread, Frys has a huge Pioneer Elite and 2018 Denon x series clearance sale today, assumably for the 2019 models coming in.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2114 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
If you want Atmos, it's expected that you keep a height separation between the base speakers and the height speakers. In other words, don't mount the surround speakers in/on the ceiling. Atmos isn't flexible enough to permit arbitrary speaker placement.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...des/index.html

More technical (and downloadable): https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf

I'm not competent to specify a good 5.1.4 system for less than $2k; it seems difficult to me. Maybe an Onkyo TX-RZ830 AVR (processes 11 channels, 9 amps, similar to a Denon AVR-X4500H), a Hsu VTF-2 Mk5 sub, and some Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers from https://www.accessories4less.com/

Working to a budget is tricky, because prices vary widely. I wish that I had access to a Fry's Electronics, as they are famous for their sales on Denon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thanks for the replies. After reading some more on those links I don't know if an Atmos setup is feasible for my living room. I don't think there's enough room for speaker stands, or space to mount them ear level on the wall without someone running into them. Should I settle for 7.1 with no Atmos if i'm forced to ceiling mount speakers? I know this isn't ideal, but would this be better than say 3.1? Both the sides and surrounds would need to be ceiling mounted. Just trying to make sure I have the best setup for the space and budget.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

After some thought I'm going to change my office to a dedicated theater room. There is enough room to do everything I want including Atmos. In the meantime I believe that I will grab the Pioneer VSXLX503 / Onkyo TX-RZ830. I believe they are at a reasonable price. I'll get some nice speakers to run at least 3.1 in the living room in the meantime. When I complete the rest of the set, I will move it all into the other room.

Last edited by StrangeFlavor; 05-19-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlavor View Post
After some thought I'm going to change my office to a dedicated theater room. There is enough room to do everything I want including Atmos. In the meantime I believe that I will grab the Pioneer VSXLX503 / Onkyo TX-RZ830. I believe they are at a reasonable price. I'll get some nice speakers to run at least 3.1 in the living room in the meantime. When I complete the rest of the set, I will move it all into the other room.
If you go with the Onkyo, you can get it for really cheap right now (See Deals Sticky).
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-great-found-deals/

Depending on how big your office space is, make sure that your seating is not directly in the middle of the room. I believe about 2/3rds of the way from the screen is what was recommended whenever I was setting my system up.

Also, if you can swing it, start off with 5.1, and then expand from there. Even if you have to go the route that I did with buying used from the AVS Classifieds. Just make sure that you deal with established members, as there have been some dishonest people scamming members out their hard earned $$.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your new setup.

Darrell

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail
Bedroom - Blose: Cinemate II GS 2.1/Sony: XBR49X800E/XBox: One S

Last edited by d-rail34; 05-19-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: No price discussion
post #7 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I suppose one last question. Since both the Pioneer VSX LX503 and Onkyo TX-RZ830 are the same price right now, do the very minor differences in them give one the upper hand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page