Advice on a new Atmos receiver. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice on a new Atmos receiver.

Hey all I've been trying to decide on an Atmos receiver but not sure if i'll be missing out on a lot by going with 5.1.2 instead of a 5.1.4/7.1.2 the price for a 9.2 CH Atmos Receiver really spikes in price I can't decide if the extra 2 Atmos speakers are worth double the money? My budget is $500.00 what are your thoughts on it?
for 7.2 CH I was able to find a slightly used Denon X3300H for $250 this was my first choice because I wanted audyssey multeq xt32/sub eq, the other two are the Pioneer VSX-LX303(379.99) and the Onkyo TX-RZ830(499.99) The Pioneer was the cheapest Atmos 9.2 receiver I could find. My room is 20x20x10 non vaulted ceiling with no option for side surround speakers unless they are ceiling mounted.

50/50 Music & HT
LCR Klipsch RP-260F/RP-600c
Onkyo TX-NR709
(6) Klipach R-1650-CSM Ceiling
Monolith THX 12s

Last edited by JustAdum; 05-22-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4430 Post(s)
Liked: 2496
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAdum View Post
Hey all I've been trying to decide on an Atmos receiver but not sure if i'll be missing out on a lot by going with 5.1.2 instead of a 5.1.4/7.1.2 the price for a 9.2 CH Atmos Receiver really spikes in price I can't decide if the extra 2 Atmos speakers are worth double the money? My budget is $500.00 what are your thoughts on it?
for 7.2 CH I was able to find a slightly used Denon X3300H for $250 this was my first choice because I wanted audyssey multeq xt32/sub eq, the other two are the Pioneer VSX-LX303(379.99) and the Onkyo TX-RZ830(499.99) The Pioneer was the cheapest Atmos 9.2 receiver I could find. My room is 20x20x10 non vaulted ceiling with no option for side surround speakers unless they are ceiling mounted.

50/50 Music & HT
LCR Klipsch RP Line
Onkyo TX-NR709
(4) Klipach R-1650-CSM Ceiling
Monolith THX 12s

Yes, four or more overheads are definitely recommended because of object movement in the overhead sphere. You miss out a lot of times on better overhead effects if you only have two.

If you can up your budget a little bit, here is a new Denon 4400H (up to 7.2.4 with Audyssey XT32 EQ ) on a closeout flash sale with a $75 gift card bonus:

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SI...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Could you take some pics of your room to see where speakers might be placed the best?

EDIT: Yes, if you have a local Fry's in your area, by all means pick up a 4500H as long as their crazy sale price is still valid.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-22-2019 at 08:24 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 129
That's a nice setup you have @JustAdum .

X3300 is good but a little old as the 2018 model x3500h is on sale (check deals thread) but @danhitchman has a good recommendation too. Similar 9 channel from Yammy is the v2085, almost that same price too if you like the Yamaha sound?

If you live near a Frys they are having a clearance sale on Elites and Denon X models....so Pion lx303 and the big brother lx503 plus the x3500h and big brother x4500h. My frys only has the lx503 left now.

If you like onkyo then check amazon, they are blowing out the rz830 which is the kissing cousin of the lx503. Both of those can go to 11 channels like the x4500 but the audyssey xt32 is a superior room correction on paper and with your dual subs. If you have minidsp then the lx503 and rz830 are great deals right now.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Yes, four or more overheads are definitely recommended because of object movement in the overhead sphere. You miss out a lot of times on better overhead effects if you only have two.

If you can up your budget a little bit, here is a new Denon 4400H (up to 7.2.4 with Audyssey XT32 EQ ) on a closeout flash sale with a $75 gift card bonus:

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SI...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Could you take some pics of your room to see where speakers might be placed the best?

EDIT: Yes, if you have a local Fry's in your area, by all means pick up a 4500H as long as their crazy sale price is still valid.
$800 is out of my budget as I still need to purchase a TV I visited my local Fry's today all they had left was the VSX-LX503/303 the lx-303 felt really entry level and cheap I passed on both, they have the Denon X-4500 but the Denon again was way out of my budget sadly. I did end up buyin two more klipsch ceiling speakers for a total of 6 now, I think I might use two of them for my rear channel and the other 4 for Atmos I don't have a place to put side surround speakers or rear speakers at ear level due to no wall behind my couch, speaker stands is a no go (WAF Denied) Would 6 ceiling speakers be fine for rear channel 2 over seating area and the other 2 in front of seating area?
Here are some photos below though any ideas on placement are welcome!

(edit: I did also purchase a Klipsch RP-240S at Fry's they only had 1 floor model left but for the price of it I couldn't resist! maybe this might be another route if I can find a spot to mount them. I have windows on one side and a cutout in my wall on the other side)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
That's a nice setup you have @JustAdum .

X3300 is good but a little old as the 2018 model x3500h is on sale (check deals thread) but @danhitchman has a good recommendation too. Similar 9 channel from Yammy is the v2085, almost that same price too if you like the Yamaha sound?

If you live near a Frys they are having a clearance sale on Elites and Denon X models....so Pion lx303 and the big brother lx503 plus the x3500h and big brother x4500h. My frys only has the lx503 left now.

If you like onkyo then check amazon, they are blowing out the rz830 which is the kissing cousin of the lx503. Both of those can go to 11 channels like the x4500 but the audyssey xt32 is a superior room correction on paper and with your dual subs. If you have minidsp then the lx503 and rz830 are great deals right now.

Good luck!
Thanks! I never had a Yamaha receiver before I'll check it out, is there no wrong choice comparing the LX503 and the TX-RZ830? would it come down to personal preference? I don't have a minidsp nor have I ever used one not sure what it's even for is it required to have with an AV receiver?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0893-22-05-19-10-23.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2570502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0894-22-05-19-10-22.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2570504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0895-22-05-19-10-22.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2570506  

Last edited by JustAdum; 05-22-2019 at 10:59 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
$800 is out of my budget as I still need to purchase a TV I visited my local Fry's today all they had left was the VSX-LX503/303 the lx-303 felt really entry level and cheap I passed on both, they have the Denon X-4500 but the Denon again was way out of my budget sadly. I did end up buyin two more klipsch ceiling speakers for a total of 6 now, I think I might use two of them for my rear channel and the other 4 for Atmos I don't have a place to put side surround speakers or rear speakers at ear level due to no wall behind my couch, speaker stands is a no go (WAF Denied) Would 6 ceiling speakers be fine for rear channel 2 over seating area and the other 2 in front of seating area?
Here are some photos below though any ideas on placement are welcome!

(edit: I did also purchase a Klipsch RP-240S at Fry's they only had 1 floor model left but for the price of it I couldn't resist! maybe this might be another route if I can find a spot to mount them. I have windows on one side and a cutout in my wall on the other side)

Thanks! I never had a Yamaha receiver before I'll check it out, is there no wrong choice comparing the LX503 and the TX-RZ830? would it come down to personal preference? I don't have a minidsp nor have I ever used one not sure what it's even for is it required to have with an AV receiver?

You actually may have a place for side surround speakers (for a 5.1.4 layout), but you will need to move your couch forward. That might not be such a bad thing because it really looks from these pictures that you are sitting too far back in the room for the size display you have.

The narrow rearward wall section between the large middle and smaller banks of windows (to the left) and just forward of the alcove in your wall on the right (facing the screen). Potentially place your side surrounds there. If you don't have ready access to run wires in the walls, then cable chase at the baseboards and use painted wire mold to cover the wires on the outside of the wall going up to the speakers. Many people do this instead of sacrificing audio performance.

You don't want to put lower level surrounds in ceiling at the same height plain as the Atmos overheads... that will ruin the whole experience. You need to have adequate angle separation.

Since you don't want to put rear surrounds in the ceiling... return the third pair of Klipsch ceiling speakers and use the money elsewhere - such as towards a better receiver that can process 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS: X.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You actually may have a place for side surround speakers (for a 5.1.4 layout), but you will need to move your couch forward. That might not be such a bad thing because it really looks from these pictures that you are sitting too far back in the room for the size display you have.

The narrow rearward wall section between the large middle and smaller banks of windows (to the left) and just forward of the alcove in your wall on the right (facing the screen). Potentially place your side surrounds there. If you don't have ready access to run wires in the walls, then cable chase at the baseboards and use painted wire mold to cover the wires on the outside of the wall going up to the speakers. Many people do this instead of sacrificing audio performance.

You don't want to put lower level surrounds in ceiling at the same height plain as the Atmos overheads... that will ruin the whole experience. You need to have adequate angle separation.

Since you don't want to put rear surrounds in the ceiling... return the third pair of Klipsch ceiling speakers and use the money elsewhere - such as towards a better receiver that can process 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS: X.
Thanks for the quick reply, my tv is 75" and it's 11' from the center cushion of the couch. I have a bit of room to move it forward a bit. I might be a bit confused here if I don't put ceiling speakers as my rear channel would the 5.1.4 be LCR - Side Surrounds - 4 Atmos, and just ditch the rear channel completely? would that still ruin the experience just as much as putting ceiling speakers for rears together with atmos speakers?

edit: after taking another look at some of my options maybe in-wall speakers could suffice I've taken a few more photos of a possible area it's pretty close to the same height as my fronts maybe an inch or 2 below, their not directly behind but rather to the back sides. Would this work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0899-22-05-19-11-50.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2570514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0901-22-05-19-11-50.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2570516  

Last edited by JustAdum; 05-23-2019 at 12:01 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply, my tv is 75" and it's 11' from the center cushion of the couch. I have a bit of room to move it forward a bit. I might be a bit confused here if I don't put ceiling speakers as my rear channel would the 5.1.4 be LCR - Side Surrounds - 4 Atmos, and just ditch the rear channel completely? would that still ruin the experience just as much as putting ceiling speakers for rears together with atmos speakers?

edit: after taking another look at some of my options maybe in-wall speakers could suffice I've taken a few more photos of a possible area it's pretty close to the same height as my fronts maybe an inch or 2 below, their not directly behind but rather to the back sides. Would this work?
Actually, your idea would work. The only thing you want to change is the height of the side surrounds to just above seated head height.

The right speaker would end up at about where the thermostat is. You would need to move that unit. If you don't have wall stud cavity space for in-wall speakers, just use the on-wall's that you purchased and fish wire from baseboard level cable chase to the side surrounds.

5.1.4 can be perfectly adequate, especially if you move the couch foward a bit, which would place the sides at about 110 degrees. You could then center up your seating a bit more in between the four overheads as recommended by Dolby.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

As Dan said, you can't mix height and surround speakers on the same level, so don't use 6 ceiling speakers. Return the klipsch and try to find some wall mount (flat) speakers for the side walls, just slightly above ear level. Here are some choices. I have heard good things about canton. https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...peakers/1.html

So for 5.1.4 there are plenty of choices under $799 no need to break the bank, especially if you are ok with refurb. Check the deals thread for more locations and prices on new stuff, but AC4L is a great place to start your search so check these 9 channels receivers out https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?number_channels[]=9

Onkyo nr787
Onkyo rz630/730/830
Pioneer lx503 (the 303 is good but bench tests show its a bit lacking for those who have more refined hearing - not me)
Marantz sr6012
Yamaha v2085
Integra drx-3.2/4.2

minidsp is for calibrating dual subs. If you do not have 2 then don't worry about it now.

Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page