Dedicated ARC Genesis thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 146Likes

post #31 of 469 Old 05-29-2019, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Honestly I don't know. Anthem is very quick to respond to question(I've gotten a response with a few hours). I'd give them a shout and see what they say. https://www.anthemav.com/support/contact-us.php
I received an answer today and here it is:

"Removing the sub will just mean there will be no LFE to play. This means it will be missing, it will not flow into your speakers the same way a pair of rears would flow into your fronts if you turned them off."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 469 Old 05-29-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2545 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Any Mac users unable to install Genesis? I previously installed 1.0 w/o issue, but I am currently unable to install either the current 1.0.1 release or the beta. I no longer have the 1.0 release files to see if the issue is the Mac or something with how the new install files are authored.

When I DC on the downloaded pkg file, I get the following:

“ARC Genesis v1.0.1.8867.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

I am running Mojave 10.14.5 which was recently updated. I suspect that the security settings were updated, but I have not found any similar posts via Google with users having issues with pkg files. I did report this to Anthem, but have not gotten a reply yet.

I had no such issues with the Windows installers.

#JB17
post #33 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Genesis Adjustments

In the interest of sharing experiments with other Genesis users, I am posting my own changes.
I have a 5000^3 room that is open on side at back. 7.4 system with 4 sealed subs.
Level matched subs and adjusted gain for smoothest fr.
Ran Genesis beta with 5 positions adjusting height at maximum correction frequency of 5k
Used Radio Shack meter to adjust 3 speakers that topped out at +12. required addition of 2 db for surround and 1 for back. Then, specifically for our large room, added an additional 4 dbs to surrounds and back. This is the same change going back to Lexicon many years ago. In our space, makes surround float in the air. Obviously, this last change is room specific.
Adjusted High frequency roll-off at .88 on all speakers to match. Got this number from lowest number on all speakers.
Added Deep Bass Boost starting at 40 of 2, 4 and 6 on 3 profiles.
Tilt level starting at 500 of -8 on all profiles.
We almost always use Bas6Tilt, which has Bass increase of 6 from 40 and tilt level starting at 500 of -8.
Occasionally, when the content has too much bass, we use Bas2Tilt, which is different inasmuch only has bass increase of 2.
Have attached my Genesis bass & 500 Tilt pdf.
I would be interested in learning what experiments and preferences other users have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Genesis Bass & 500 Tilt.pdf (781.3 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Those of you with dual subs, are you just letting ARC calibrate them as one?

Also, is the version of ARC for Mac a stripped down, bare bones version? When I just did mine, it was just a straight forward "here's your measurements, go ahead and upload em". No custom settings or adjustments, no way to name the profile, nothing.
post #35 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Those of you with dual subs, are you just letting ARC calibrate them as one?

Also, is the version of ARC for Mac a stripped down, bare bones version? When I just did mine, it was just a straight forward "here's your measurements, go ahead and upload em". No custom settings or adjustments, no way to name the profile, nothing.
I have dual subs and I gain matched them a while ago so I let ARC calibrate them as one.

I'm a windows user but the MAC version of Genesis should let you adjust things. In the windows version after the calibration is done calculating the results it does go right to the upload screen but you just ignore it and click on a tab like "Adjust Targets", "Set Speaker Levels", "Select Speakers" or "Set Up Speaker Profiles". You can also click on any of the tabs numbered 1,2,3,4 above the tabs I listed.

Are you using auto or professional mode in Genesis? I've never used auto mode so if you're using auto mode maybe it doesn't have the adjustments that professional mode has.
Summa likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 05-30-2019 at 07:03 AM.
post #36 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Any Mac users unable to install Genesis? I previously installed 1.0 w/o issue, but I am currently unable to install either the current 1.0.1 release or the beta. I no longer have the 1.0 release files to see if the issue is the Mac or something with how the new install files are authored.

When I DC on the downloaded pkg file, I get the following:

“ARC Genesis v1.0.1.8867.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.
Same for me on my Mac.
post #37 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have dual subs and I gain matched them a while ago so I let ARC calibrate them as one.

I'm a windows user but the MAC version of Genesis should let you adjust things. In the windows version after the calibration is done calculating the results it does go right to the upload screen but you just ignore it and click on a tab like "Adjust Targets", "Set Speaker Levels", "Select Speakers" or "Set Up Speaker Profiles". You can also click on any of the tabs numbered 1,2,3,4 above the tabs I listed.

Are you using auto or professional mode in Genesis? I've never used auto mode so if you're using auto mode maybe it doesn't have the adjustments that professional mode has.
Pretty sure you are right...you need to be in Pro mode. That is set in Preferences.
Summa likes this.

#JB17
post #38 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:

Wow, yeah I didnt see any of that stuff. I think initially I did choose auto, so perhaps I need to find a way to get back to that original screen. The auto does sound pretty darn incredible, though, so my fears about the low end have been erased. They fixed the only issue I had with the last version, which was that I never felt like my subs were running where I wanted them, but it sure sounds good now.

When I restart the software, it seems to bypass that original auto vs pro choice, so once I figure out how to get back there, you're probably right that that's the issue.

Thanks again man!
post #39 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
Same for me on my Mac.
You should let Anthem know. I have been emailing with Jamie is support. Good to know that this is not a "just me" problem. :-)

I did find a work around. Rather than a direct download to the Mac, I downloaded the Mac installer to a PC, and just copied it to a thumb drive. That gives you a zip file.

I moved the thumb to my Mac, and extracted the zip. From there, I was able to install the Genesis Beta by DC'ing the pkg file.
cargen and BassMojo like this.

#JB17
post #40 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Wow, yeah I didnt see any of that stuff. I think initially I did choose auto, so perhaps I need to find a way to get back to that original screen. The auto does sound pretty darn incredible, though, so my fears about the low end have been erased. They fixed the only issue I had with the last version, which was that I never felt like my subs were running where I wanted them, but it sure sounds good now.

When I restart the software, it seems to bypass that original auto vs pro choice, so once I figure out how to get back there, you're probably right that that's the issue.

Thanks again man!
Hey glad to help. At the Very top there are drop down menus in the Windows version for ARC, File, Help. If you go into "ARC" click on "Preferences" and you can switch it to professional mode. I'm going based on the windows version but I'm guessing they are similar.

Last edited by Legairre; 05-30-2019 at 07:41 AM.
post #41 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a way to manually manipulate the frequency response of a single channel?
post #42 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
Is there a way to manually manipulate the frequency response of a single channel?
By single channel I'm assuming you means a single speaker. The frequency response of the speakers are only adjusted as pairs like front L/R, Surrounds L/R etc... The only single speaker you could adjust for response is the center.

post #43 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
By single channel I'm assuming you means a single speaker. The frequency response of the speakers are only adjusted as pairs like front L/R, Surrounds L/R etc... The only single speaker you could adjust for response is the center.
Thanks for the clarification. Other than bass management, is the a way to re-equalize a set of speakers? I ask because my ceiling speakers have a 1k bump that I'd like to rectify.
post #44 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Other than bass management, is the a way to re-equalize a set of speakers? I ask because my ceiling speakers have a 1k bump that I'd like to rectify.
What do you have the Genesis max EQ set to for your speakers? I'm just wondering if you have the max EQ set to the default of 5k and you still have a bump at 1k?

post #45 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What do you have the Genesis max EQ set to for your speakers? I'm just wondering if you have the max EQ set to the default of 5k and you still have a bump at 1k?
I left it at 5k
post #46 of 469 Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I left it at 5k
OK so it have it at 5k and Genesis wasn't able to correct the hump at 1K so was it a really big hump and Genesis cold bring it down any further? The only high frequency manual EQing I'm aware of is the tilt and tilt frequency, but those are system wide and for a given profile will effect all the speakers not just the speakers you want to fix. You could try setting the max EQ on just the ceiling speakers to 10 or 15K and see if that causes the lower 1k to improve. Sometimes taming a higher Frequency can move a lower one.
mitchlampert likes this.

post #47 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

House Curves

Noone else is experimenting with house curves?
post #48 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Adding link to my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post
I think it's more about awareness than interest. Maybe add a link to your signature so people see it.

Also, you might add links in Post 1 to ARC Genesis official DL and Beta DL as well as instruction/information DL from Anthem on how to use Genesis.
I can't seem to figure out how to add a link to my signature. I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks
post #49 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
I can't seem to figure out how to add a link to my signature. I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks
Go up to the "Tools" drop-down menu and click on "User CP". Then on the left-hand side, click on "Edit Signature". There you can type in your signature. Use the little icon that looks like a globe with a chain link to insert your URL.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

post #50 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Sorry to be so dense

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Go up to the "Tools" drop-down menu and click on "User CP". Then on the left-hand side, click on "Edit Signature". There you can type in your signature. Use the little icon that looks like a globe with a chain link to insert your URL.
Thank you for your quick response. I had explored this and couldn't seem to figure out what my URL would be. Would it be asking too much of your patience to tell me what the URL would be?

Thanks in advance.
post #51 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your quick response. I had explored this and couldn't seem to figure out what my URL would be. Would it be asking too much of your patience to tell me what the URL would be?

Thanks in advance.
Sure, no problem. Easiest way to get the URL is to just go to the thread and copy the URL from the address bar at the top of your browser.

Copy the code below and paste it into your signature, except after you paste it, replace the curly brackets that are at the beginning and end, { and }, with a regular bracket, [ and ]. I used the curly ones so you could see the HTML code. Otherwise it would just show you the hyperlink and not the code behind it.

{URL="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3068892-dedicated-arc-genesis-thread.html"]Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread[/URL}

If you have it correct, it should look like this in your signature whenever you post:

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

post #52 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Can I follow instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Sure, no problem. Easiest way to get the URL is to just go to the thread and copy the URL from the address bar at the top of your browser.

Copy the code below and paste it into your signature, except after you paste it, replace the curly brackets that are at the beginning and end, { and }, with a regular bracket, [ and ]. I used the curly ones so you could see the HTML code. Otherwise it would just show you the hyperlink and not the code behind it.

{URL="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3068892-dedicated-arc-genesis-thread.html"]Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread[/URL}

If you have it correct, it should look like this in your signature whenever you post:

I am posting this to see if I followed your instructions correctly.
Again, thanks for your patience.
mbroadus likes this.

Last edited by WLC; 05-31-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: It appears that after several efforts I finally managed to follow your very clear instructions
post #53 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Noone else is experimenting with house curves?
I'm a house curves guy via REW and a miniDSP 2x4HD. I couldn't live without my house curve.

post #54 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Hey it works, good job!

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #55 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My home theater with Anthem 1120 is now installed. My dealer installer did not want to use Genesis because he said Anthem told him it is not stable. Is this true? Any issues with Genesis?
post #56 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
My home theater with Anthem 1120 is now installed. My dealer installer did not want to use Genesis because he said Anthem told him it is not stable. Is this true? Any issues with Genesis?
To date, complaints have been mostly with the new beta version. The ARC Genesis v1018867 seems to be stable.
bokap likes this.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #57 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
The Deep Bass Boost and the Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency work together and can be used to create a house curve. If you set the deep bass boost to say 6dB and the deep bass boost center frequency to say 50Hz you'll see a house curve starting at 50Hz that slowly increases to a max of 6dB down to 15Hz. A house curve is very helpful because as bass frequencies get lower we hear them less so increasing the bass at lower frequencies give a nice punch to movies.
That would make sense if the movie wasn't purposefully mastered how it is. If you are adding bass boost, you are altering the way it's supposed to sound, not fixing anything.

post #58 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post
To date, complaints have been mostly with the new beta version. The ARC Genesis v1018867 seems to be stable.
Thanks for your answer. I will try it
post #59 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
That would make sense if the movie wasn't purposefully mastered how it is. If you are adding bass boost, you are altering the way it's supposed to sound, not fixing anything.
I'm not trying to fix anything. I want to increase bass as the frequencies get lower so yes I'm altering the sound and I'm fine with that. We all use room correction like ARC Genesis, Audessy, MCACC Dirac etc... to EQ the sound the way we like it so whats wrong with EQing the bass the way we like it with a house curve.

Last edited by Legairre; 05-31-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #60 of 469 Old 05-31-2019, 12:12 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Glad to help and glad you got it to work. I hope this thread catches on. Tired of bouncing back and forth between the AVM 60 thread and the 60/720/1120 thread to get caught up on all things Genesis...
Legairre and bigdogaxis like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc genesis , genesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page