Dedicated ARC Genesis thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 201Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 AM
pau
Member
 
pau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does ARC set speaker distances? I did factory reset and cant remember did i set them manually before. But after uploading the new settings. It has defaulted every distance to 12 feet. Is this normal cant remember?

I know old settings had differences and could type them manually again.

HTPC - MRX 520 - Gallo Reference 3.1 & Strada - SVS PC4000 - Sony 65" 4k TV 8505C
pau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
Anthem has this in their site. What do you guys think? Interesting.."WHENEVER POSSIBLE, do not place the 2nd through 5th positions further than three feet (90cm) away from the 1st position—a symmetrical pattern of spots around the first location is more important than putting the microphone at each listening position throughout the room."
That has worked out really well for me. Every time I run Genesis I follow that one and all the other Anthem mic position recommendations and have had really good result. It's a lot of work but it has been worth it for me.

Quote:
  • ALWAYS point your microphone at the ceiling.
  • ALWAYS place the 1st position at your primary listening location. The 1st position is critical because it is used to set the level of the overall system.
  • ALWAYS place the mic height near ear level (if you sit when you listen, use the relative height of your ears when seated). The microphone, the listener’s ears, and the speaker’s acoustic center (or tweeter if in doubt) should be at approximately the same height. If the result sounds dull or bright, a new feature of ARC Genesis is the ability to boost and cut deep bass and high frequencies in the “Adjust ARC Settings> Adjust Targets” menu.
  • WHENEVER POSSIBLE, make sure the primary listening position is a minimum of two to three feet (60 to 90 cm) from walls and other large hard surfaces. Please note:
    • We understand that the location of the primary listening position is often not flexible.
    • For best results when listening, a listener’s ears should be away from any walls a minimum distance of two to three feet (60 to 90cm).
    • If the 1st mic position falls within two to three feet (60 to 90cm) form a wall, high-backed furniture, or similar obstructions, it’s important to measure from a position as close to the listener's head as possible. So place the first mic position just in front of where the listener’s head would be. In this case, always place the 2nd through 5th positions the recommended distance from each other, even if this results in them being less than two to three feet (60 to 90cm) away from a wall. The resulting pattern may look less like an X and more like a V or M, and that’s okay.
  • WHENEVER POSSIBLE, place the 2nd through 5th positions two feet (60cm) from the 1st position. Up to three feet (90cm) is acceptable, but not usually necessary.
  • WHENEVER POSSIBLE, place the 2nd through 5th positions symmetrically around the 1st position. Use an X pattern, with the 1st position in the center of the X, and each corner two feet (60cm) from the center.
  • WHENEVER POSSIBLE, vary the mic height for the 2nd through 5th positions, with two measurements being 6 to 12-inches below the 1st position and the other two measurements 6 to 12-inches above the height of the 1st position. This method provides ARC with a more three-dimensional view of the room and its acoustic signature.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #663 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by pau View Post
Does ARC set speaker distances? I did factory reset and cant remember did i set them manually before. But after uploading the new settings. It has defaulted every distance to 12 feet. Is this normal cant remember?

I know old settings had differences and could type them manually again.
No you have to set them manually by measuring each speaker's distance.
pau likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #664 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
panasonicst60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I tried this before but didn't really like what I heard.

WHENEVER POSSIBLE, vary the mic height for the 2nd through 5th positions, with two measurements being 6 to 12-inches below the 1st position and the other two measurements 6 to 12-inches above the height of the 1st position. This method provides ARC with a more three-dimensional view of the room and its acoustic signature.

TV: OLED65C8P - Receiver: Anthem MRX 710 - Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820 - Cd transport: Cambridge Audio CXC - Amp: Parasound A31 - LCR Speakers: Ascend Towers & 2ex - Surrounds: Noble Fidelity L-65 mkII - Sub: Rythmik F18 - Power Distribution: PS Juice Bar II, Signal Cable Magicstrip - Power Cables: PS AC5, PS SC, Shunyata Venom 14 - Speaker Cables: Kimber 8tc, BJC 10 - RCA Cables: AQ Silver - Probe: i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B - Software: Lightspace HTL, Calman Enthusiast - Bias Lighting - MediaLight
panasonicst60 is online now  
post #665 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Member
 
wyld0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I run a 7.2.4 system with:

Monitor Audio silver speakers for the 7 main speakers:
Silver s10 front towers
Silver LCR center
Silver s1 for all four surrounds

Russound Atmos speakers:
RSA-635 wide dispersion

Hsu Research Subs:
Dual VTF-15H MK2 subs.

I use external amps for all my channels except the back surrounds(MRX 720 handles back surrounds). All my other channels are run on a Rotel RMB-1095(200x5), and two Rotel RB-1050 (80x2) amps for the four Atmos speakers.

I have REW setup to use the UMIK-1 over HDMI to my laptop. I use the UMIK-1 90 degree .cal file with my UMIK-1 pointed straight up like the Anthem MIC. In the REW preferences I go to the mic/meter tab I have it using the UMIK-1 calibration file by selecting “mic or z weighted SPL meter” and browsing for the UMIK-1 calibration file. Then I select the SPL Meter and set it up as “C” weighted (from the A, C, Z push buttons) by selecting “C” and then “Slow” (from the F,S push buttons) by selecting “F”.

In REW, if using the UMIK-1 you don’t need to click “calibrate” because the UMIK-1 .cal file handles that. If you do click calibrate you’ll get a message saying you’re all set because you already selected a .cal file.

I then run the MRX 720 test tones from the level calibration screen with the UMIK-1 in the same place my Anthem mic was placed at when I ran Genesis.

BTW if you don’t get that message when you click calibrate in the REW SPL meter your UMIK-1 is not connected. With my UMIK-1 I have to push the cable in hard to get it to connect. I then “right” click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner of Windows and select “Recording Devices” to make sure it shows the UMIK-1. If you don’t see the UMIK-1 in recording devices it’s not connected and when you click on calibrate REW SPL meter will try to let you calibrate like you don’t have a .cal file
Ah - the fact you run external amps I imagine changes things quite a bit with regards to hitting targets, but why the 90 degree file? Maybe I am supposed to be using that and haven't been?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
wyld0 is offline  
post #666 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyld0 View Post
Ah - the fact you run external amps I imagine changes things quite a bit with regards to hitting targets, but why the 90 degree file? Maybe I am supposed to be using that and haven't been?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I use the 90 degree .cal during the REW SPL measurement because I want the UMIK-1 pointed straight up just like the Anthem mic was when it took it’s measurements for Genesis to eliminate any differences that could be caused by pointing the UMIK-1 straight ahead while the Anthem mic was pointed straight up.. If you point the UMIK-1 at the ceiling you have to use the 90 degree file. The regular .cal file is for pointing the UMIK-1 straight ahead pointed at your speakers. You can download the 90 degree file here https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #667 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Member
 
wyld0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I use the 90 degree .cal during the REW SPL measurement because I want the UMIK-1 pointed straight up just like the Anthem mic was when it took it’s measurements for Genesis to eliminate any differences that could be caused by pointing the UMIK-1 straight ahead while the Anthem mic was pointed straight up.. If you point the UMIK-1 at the ceiling you have to use the 90 degree file. The regular .cal file is for pointing the UMIK-1 straight ahead pointed at your speakers. You can download the 90 degree file here https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1.
Thanks! I haven't been using the 90 degree although I do have it. That might fix the discrepancy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
wyld0 is offline  
post #668 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
shs1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Sierra Nevada
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
Anthem has this in their site. What do you guys think? Interesting.."WHENEVER POSSIBLE, do not place the 2nd through 5th positions further than three feet (90cm) away from the 1st position—a symmetrical pattern of spots around the first location is more important than putting the microphone at each listening position throughout the room."
I corresponded with Anthem on this and that advice is essentially for a single listening position. If you want to optimize for more than one listening position, then obviously the no more than 3 ft rule does not count. I tried to use a symmetrical pattern around both my and my wife's chair for one profile and a symmetrical pattern around those chairs plus the sofa behind for another profile for when we have guests. That worked for me.
panasonicst60 likes this.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
shs1234 is offline  
post #669 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyld0 View Post
Thanks! I haven't been using the 90 degree although I do have it. That might fix the discrepancy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Glad to help. How much of a difference was there between the Genesis SPL and REW?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #670 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Member
 
wyld0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Glad to help. How much of a difference was there between the Genesis SPL and REW?
~15 dB. I will check again tonight with the right file.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
wyld0 is offline  
post #671 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyld0 View Post
~15 dB. I will check again tonight with the right file.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Wow that's a big difference. I 'd be surprised if the 90 degree file and mic position will make up for a 15dB difference. I wonder if you have a faulty Anthem mic or a problem with the Anthem .cal file.

Also when on the REW SPL meter if you click calibrate does it tell you the mic is already calibrated because you have a .cal file? Just wondering if yours is like mine and even through he UMIK-1 light is on it's not truly connected and using the .cal file unless I push the cable in harder.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 09-09-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Legairre is offline  
post #672 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Member
 
wyld0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Wow tat's a big difference. I 'd be surprised if the 90 degree file and mic position will make up for a 15dB difference. I wonder if you have a faulty Anthem mic or a problem with the Anthem .cal file.

Also when on the REW SPL meter if you click calibrate does it tell you the mic is already calibrated because you have a .cal file? Just wondering if yours is like mine and even through he UMIK-1 light is on it's not truly connected and using the .cal file unless I push the cable in harder.
This is my second MRX1120, the first had a bad DSP and support advised me to replace, but the readings were the same so I thought I had ruled out a bad mic or cal file.

My REW does give same error when I try to click calibrate.



Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
wyld0 is offline  
post #673 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bghead8che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone confirmed the "tilt" bug is fixed in the latest release? I am afraid to download and remove the earlier version that does not have this bug. Can anyone confirm for me?

Thanks!

Brian R. Smith
Bghead8che is offline  
post #674 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyld0 View Post
This is my second MRX1120, the first had a bad DSP and support advised me to replace, but the readings were the same so I thought I had ruled out a bad mic or cal file.

My REW does give same error when I try to click calibrate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Ah OK so it's not likely that the Anthem mic is the problem. Also since you're getting the message from REW the UMIK-1 is connected and using the cal file so it's not like REW is reporting a false reading either.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #675 of 716 Old 09-09-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post
Has anyone confirmed the "tilt" bug is fixed in the latest release? I am afraid to download and remove the earlier version that does not have this bug. Can anyone confirm for me?

Thanks!
A few post back it was confirmed that the bug still exist. Since the beta was 9105 and the official release is 9105 they just made the the beta the official release without fixing the bug.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #676 of 716 Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Member
 
ianbtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Williston, Vermont USA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all -

Apologies if this question has already been answered, or would be obvious once I install ARC Genesis on my PC ...

Is ARC Genesis designed to replace both PBK and ARC 2? I have two Monitor SUB 10's which I have calibrated with PBK. Is there a routine in ARC Genesis for calibrating the subs individually before running a systemwide analysis? I also ask since the Monitor SUB line isn't listed under the compatible hardware list ...

One other note: I plan to only use ARC Genesis for mid-bass and lower adjustments ... it seems odd why one would want to touch the tonal characteristics of any audiophile-level speaker that aren't affected by room acoustics ...

Many thanks in advance -

Ian Campbell

fronts: Paradigm 7 v7
surround: Paradigm Surround 3 (S-PAL version)
subs: 2x Paradigm Monitor SUB 10 (opposite corners)
receiver: Anthem MRX 720
ianbtv is offline  
post #677 of 716 Old 09-10-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbtv View Post
Hi all -

Apologies if this question has already been answered, or would be obvious once I install ARC Genesis on my PC ...

Is ARC Genesis designed to replace both PBK and ARC 2? I have two Monitor SUB 10's which I have calibrated with PBK. Is there a routine in ARC Genesis for calibrating the subs individually before running a systemwide analysis? I also ask since the Monitor SUB line isn't listed under the compatible hardware list ...

One other note: I plan to only use ARC Genesis for mid-bass and lower adjustments ... it seems odd why one would want to touch the tonal characteristics of any audiophile-level speaker that aren't affected by room acoustics ...

Many thanks in advance -

Ian Campbell

fronts: Paradigm 7 v7
surround: Paradigm Surround 3 (S-PAL version)
subs: 2x Paradigm Monitor SUB 10 (opposite corners)
receiver: Anthem MRX 720
Hi no apology necessary it’s a big thread. Genesis is installed into a separate directory so it won't replace ARC2 or anything else on your PC.

As for ARC touching the tonal characteristic of a speaker. The room acoustics effects frequencies and all speakers not just subs. If you completely eliminate the room by placing a speaker outside in a field, that speaker will both measure and sound completely different than it does in a room. The sound you hear from a speaker isn't just the speaker it's also the sound reflected off the walls, floor, ceiling, furniture etc... Unless you place a speaker outside in a wide open field the sound you get in your room, is the room your hearing. Highs not just low or mid frequencies bounce off everything in your room and cause null, peaks etc… at high frequencies as well as low. Sure highs bounce less than lows but they are still effected by room. The goal of ARC/Genesis is to try and correct the bad things the room has introduced so you actually do hear your speakers and not the room
Mike in NC and johnnygrandis like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 09-10-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Legairre is offline  
post #678 of 716 Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Member
 
ianbtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Williston, Vermont USA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Legairre -

Thanks for your paragraph on ARC and room effects, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
... Genesis is installed into a separate directory so it won't replace ARC2 or anything else on your PC ...
... I still need to know if I can use ARC Genesis to calibrate my SUB 10's individually before calibrating the unified system of mains and subs. If ARC Genesis doesn't do this, or if my SUB 10's are indeed not compatible for sub-only calibrations, then the answer is to use PBK on the subs first ...

Thanks -

Ian
ianbtv is offline  
post #679 of 716 Old 09-10-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbtv View Post
Hi Legairre -

Thanks for your paragraph on ARC and room effects, but ...



... I still need to know if I can use ARC Genesis to calibrate my SUB 10's individually before calibrating the unified system of mains and subs. If ARC Genesis doesn't do this, or if my SUB 10's are indeed not compatible for sub-only calibrations, then the answer is to use PBK on the subs first ...

Thanks -

Ian
When using Genesis or the older ARC1 and ARC2 you must at least have front speakers. ARC/Genesis is a system calibration not sub only. BTW you can also install Genesis and run it in demo mode to see how it works. Select ARC >> Preferences >> Demo Mode from the toolbar.
ianbtv likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 09-10-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Legairre is offline  
post #680 of 716 Old 09-15-2019, 06:22 PM
Member
 
bendiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I just did a calibration with ARC genesis this weekend.

Before doing it, i checked ail speaker channel including the subwoofer and they were all at 75db
( all channel level =0)

Then i run ARC and consult the results.

Each level channel as a least a +5 increase and the subwoofer +12

So i checked with a spl meter and each channel were at least at 80db but the subwoofer was 88db.


Is this normal ? Did i forget to do something before running ARC ?


I thought after ARC all the channel must be at 75db.


I have to keep my master volume not higher than -35db or else it’s too loud.


Thank in advance im a newbie


Ben
bendiesel is offline  
post #681 of 716 Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Just got new RBH signature reference front and center bookshelves to pair with my SVS subs.

So, I ran Genesis again with the latest version.

Again, it set the dolby offset of my Anthem 60 to -12, so my speaker levels are all between -4 and +6, with my subs set to -5. Essentially, it's setting my speakers to around 62 dB and my sub to about 71 dB with the room gain added. (I backed my room gain down so that they measure about 69 dB.) The overall system level setting in Genesis is based on about 98dB on the graph.

It seems to be using the offset so my speaker levels aren't maxed one way or the other. Also, my Anthem MCA 225w x 5 amp plays the sweeps quite a bit louder than my B&K 125w x 7 amp, so that accounts for the difference in level settings.

That's three times I've run Genesis where it has adjusted the overall system level setting by changing my offset from 0 to -12. I then just set checked all the speakers levels and adjusted them slightly so everything is at 62 dB.

The sound is fantastic, but the approach is very different than anything I've seen with ARC in the past or Audyssey.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #682 of 716 Old 09-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Member
 
wyld0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Just got new RBH signature reference front and center bookshelves to pair with my SVS subs.



So, I ran Genesis again with the latest version.



Again, it set the dolby offset of my Anthem 60 to -12, so my speaker levels are all between -4 and +6, with my subs set to -5. Essentially, it's setting my speakers to around 62 dB and my sub to about 71 dB with the room gain added. (I backed my room gain down so that they measure about 69 dB.) The overall system level setting in Genesis is based on about 98dB on the graph.



It seems to be using the offset so my speaker levels aren't maxed one way or the other. Also, my Anthem MCA 225w x 5 amp plays the sweeps quite a bit louder than my B&K 125w x 7 amp, so that accounts for the difference in level settings.



That's three times I've run Genesis where it has adjusted the overall system level setting by changing my offset from 0 to -12. I then just set checked all the speakers levels and adjusted them slightly so everything is at 62 dB.



The sound is fantastic, but the approach is very different than anything I've seen with ARC in the past or Audyssey.
Which version of Genesis are you using? I have not been able to get the Dolby offset to change any measurements from ARC so I assumed it was being ignored. Can you tell me how exactly you are doing this?

On my MRX1120, the Dolby Offset is set inside a speaker profile but that profile does not get created until after you run ARC and push the results so I'm not sure I understand the process of when to change the offset to actually get it to change how the measurements work.

I am pretty frustrated that there seems to be a split between what needs to be done on the ARC software versus what needs to be done on the UI of the menu structure in the MRX. For example, why can't we set the Dolby offset, speaker distances (maybe even the input names and settings) from within ARC - even if they are manually input so that everything is in one place? This would have the added benefit of being able to backup and restore more settings than just the ARC measurements.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
wyld0 is offline  
post #683 of 716 Old 09-16-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyld0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Just got new RBH signature reference front and center bookshelves to pair with my SVS subs.



So, I ran Genesis again with the latest version.



Again, it set the dolby offset of my Anthem 60 to -12, so my speaker levels are all between -4 and +6, with my subs set to -5. Essentially, it's setting my speakers to around 62 dB and my sub to about 71 dB with the room gain added. (I backed my room gain down so that they measure about 69 dB.) The overall system level setting in Genesis is based on about 98dB on the graph.



It seems to be using the offset so my speaker levels aren't maxed one way or the other. Also, my Anthem MCA 225w x 5 amp plays the sweeps quite a bit louder than my B&K 125w x 7 amp, so that accounts for the difference in level settings.



That's three times I've run Genesis where it has adjusted the overall system level setting by changing my offset from 0 to -12. I then just set checked all the speakers levels and adjusted them slightly so everything is at 62 dB.



The sound is fantastic, but the approach is very different than anything I've seen with ARC in the past or Audyssey.
Which version of Genesis are you using? I have not been able to get the Dolby offset to change any measurements from ARC so I assumed it was being ignored. Can you tell me how exactly you are doing this?

On my MRX1120, the Dolby Offset is set inside a speaker profile but that profile does not get created until after you run ARC and push the results so I'm not sure I understand the process of when to change the offset to actually get it to change how the measurements work.

I am pretty frustrated that there seems to be a split between what needs to be done on the ARC software versus what needs to be done on the UI of the menu structure in the MRX. For example, why can't we set the Dolby offset, speaker distances (maybe even the input names and settings) from within ARC - even if they are manually input so that everything is in one place? This would have the added benefit of being able to backup and restore more settings than just the ARC measurements.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
That's the thing. I'm just running Genesis, the latest 1.1.9105, and the results are like this. I'm bit doing anything special.

I'm not adjusting the offset. Genesis is. It seems to be so the speaker levels can stay closer to 0.

It might be because my two amps play the sweeps at different levels. I have to cover my ears when the Anthem plays them because they are really loud. The B&K sweeps are about 10dB softer.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure why. I wonder if others are getting this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights

Last edited by Erod; 09-16-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Erod is offline  
post #684 of 716 Old 09-16-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bghead8che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
That's the thing. I'm just running Genesis, the latest 1.1.9105, and the results are like this. I'm bit doing anything special.

I'm not adjusting the offset. Genesis is. It seems to be so the speaker levels can stay closer to 0.

It might be because my two amps play the sweeps at different levels. I have to cover my ears when the Anthem plays them because they are really loud. The B&K sweeps are about 10dB softer.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure why. I wonder if others are getting this.
I think we may have a new bug? All of a sudden Genesis is setting my Dolby offset in the processor to -12. Prior runs the offset remained unchanged. I'm pretty sure this is a bug. I didn't even know Genesis changed the offset of the processor.

Brian R. Smith
Bghead8che is offline  
post #685 of 716 Old 09-17-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post
I think we may have a new bug? All of a sudden Genesis is setting my Dolby offset in the processor to -12. Prior runs the offset remained unchanged. I'm pretty sure this is a bug. I didn't even know Genesis changed the offset of the processor.
Not necessarily. Perhaps this is what is keeping the speakers from being set to the maximum +12 or -12. The dolby offset actually goes to -15, so it isn't maxed, but the speakers levels only go to +/- 12.

My initial thought was that, because I'm using different amps of different power ratings, it was compensating for that difference. Not sure if that had any bearing or not.

Either way, my speaker levels all range from -4 to +5 now. My subs were at -6, but I toned down the room gain so now it's at -5. I did get out an SPL to make sure they were all at 62 dB, which is what it seemed to be aiming for. I had to tweak a couple channels by a decibel or two.

Those levels are ideal, although I simply have to turn the main volume up to compensate for the 62dB setting. Sounds great.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #686 of 716 Old 09-21-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Steve Dodds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: San Francisco, now Australia
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Does anyone have the previous version (with correct tilt) for a Mac?
Steve Dodds is offline  
post #687 of 716 Old 09-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
johnnygrandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I am trying out Genesis.

A quick question, do you have better results if recline down chairs or do you keep them up ?





GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
johnnygrandis is offline  
post #688 of 716 Old 09-23-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bghead8che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Just got new RBH signature reference front and center bookshelves to pair with my SVS subs.

So, I ran Genesis again with the latest version.

Again, it set the dolby offset of my Anthem 60 to -12, so my speaker levels are all between -4 and +6, with my subs set to -5. Essentially, it's setting my speakers to around 62 dB and my sub to about 71 dB with the room gain added. (I backed my room gain down so that they measure about 69 dB.) The overall system level setting in Genesis is based on about 98dB on the graph.

It seems to be using the offset so my speaker levels aren't maxed one way or the other. Also, my Anthem MCA 225w x 5 amp plays the sweeps quite a bit louder than my B&K 125w x 7 amp, so that accounts for the difference in level settings.

That's three times I've run Genesis where it has adjusted the overall system level setting by changing my offset from 0 to -12. I then just set checked all the speakers levels and adjusted them slightly so everything is at 62 dB.

The sound is fantastic, but the approach is very different than anything I've seen with ARC in the past or Audyssey.
I think there may be a new bug. With the latest firmware ARC now adds a -12db Dolby offset to my AVM60. I never had an offset prior to the latest firmware.

Can you guys run the latest firmware and check and see if ARC is changing or setting your Dolby offset in the main menu?

Brian R. Smith
Bghead8che is offline  
post #689 of 716 Old 09-23-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bghead8che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygrandis View Post
I am trying out Genesis.

A quick question, do you have better results if recline down chairs or do you keep them up ?
You will want to measure with everything the exact same as when you listen to your HT.

Brian R. Smith
Bghead8che is offline  
post #690 of 716 Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post
I think there may be a new bug. With the latest firmware ARC now adds a -12db Dolby offset to my AVM60. I never had an offset prior to the latest firmware.

Can you guys run the latest firmware and check and see if ARC is changing or setting your Dolby offset in the main menu?
Or, it might be a way to avoid setting any of your speaker or subwoofer settings to +12 or -12. I got the same Dolby offset setting as you.

By adjusting the offset, it's getting a general "average" of your speaker levels to be around 0, so the variance is within the AVM60's level setting range. At +12, people were wondering if it should have been +15 or higher, but it didn't go that high so it couldn't. They were probably right.

Now with the offset at -12 dB, our speakers are all essentially set to 62-63 dB as the standard, but are all within range of each other. We just adjust the master volume higher as a result. Before it was changing the offset like this, I was getting decent levels (+3 to +10), while others were getting a lot of +12. The result was the volume was way too high, and I was having to listen around -32 on the main volume. Now I'm listening around -18 to -25, depending on source and mixing.

What I do know is that it sounds great, far better than ARC2 before it.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc genesis , genesis

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off