Dedicated ARC Genesis thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 304Likes

post #781 of 980 Old 11-13-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5706 Post(s)
Liked: 5549
Seems like people are still generally happy with Genesis although it still requires a bit of work to get the phasing/distance between subs and main all dialed in. Are you guys who are doing the phasing/distance before arc finding that you have to go back after the filters are applied (Filters affect phase) and having to fine-tune your prior settings or is Genesis not messing things up too terribly bad?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 980 Old 11-13-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Is "3" the default setting for room gain? Or is it "0"?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #783 of 980 Old 11-13-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks wyld0, I will do it and let the forum know about the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 980 Old 11-13-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
Yes; I later found that item [3] is probably a symptom of the automatic phase adjustment's being applied only to Profile 1 (I consider that a bug). If that conclusion is right -- making a manual phase adjustment supports it, as the problem went away -- this bug affects only devices with that feature, I think only the STR series right now.

Despite all that, I'm using 9105 now and getting as good sound from it as ever.
Glad to hear 9105 sounds as good as 9006. Good to know the SQ is still there.

I loaded my old .ARC2 file (still have both ARC2 and Genesis on my laptop) from the version of ARC2 before Genesis was released the other night to compare with Genesis. Bugs or no bugs Genesis sounds night and day better than ARC2. As soon as I loaded and listened to a few scenes of Mission Impossible Fallout it was apparent how flat and less detailed ARC2 sounded. I then reloaded my Genesis 9006 .ARC3 file and it was like I had a new receiver or speakers. The sound with Genesis is much more lively with a large soundstage and lots of detail. I had gotten so accustomed to how great Genesis sounds that I had forgotten how much better it sounded compared to ARC2. There may be bugs but Genesis is so much better than what we had in ARC2 that I should stop complaining about bugs.
Mike in NC likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #785 of 980 Old 11-14-2019, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Bergvall View Post
More bugs in arc genisis found that bypass to the subwoofer does not work in bassmangement.
Gets the same measurement values with the switched off and at 80Hz low pass.
Also made measurements with ARC connected And out of connected no great aha experience if compare measurements.
And that with software 9006.
Phase is still turning it to the right most noticeable in movies but you hear trends even in music listening. I have a reference system that I use really for music listening.
And there I hear directly that Anthem phase is turning to the right I have tried to compensate for this but it is still not good.
Sorry about the dumb question, but how do you measure with ARC on and off? I thought quick measure was always with ARC off...

Sent while surfing
post #786 of 980 Old 11-14-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket-RJ View Post
Sorry about the dumb question, but how do you measure with ARC on and off? I thought quick measure was always with ARC off...
Sorry I'm not the user you quoted, but you are correct. ARC is disabled/off when running quick measure.
Cricket-RJ likes this.

post #787 of 980 Old 11-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Sorry I'm not the user you quoted, but you are correct. ARC is disabled/off when running quick measure.
Thx.

Is there a way to "check" ARC Genesis results within the program? Or do I need REW or something like that? I remember that was something to be implemented when all we have was ARC2.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Sent while surfing
post #788 of 980 Old 11-14-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thx.

Is there a way to "check" ARC Genesis results within the program? Or do I need REW or something like that? I remember that was something to be implemented when all we have was ARC2.

There isn't anything in that I know of in Genesis that will check the result and quick measure can't check the results because it turns ARC off. Myself and others have used REW to check the results but REW gives different results than ARC2 and Genesis probably due to the differences in the UMIK-1 and ARC mics. I haven't taken the time to do it but probably the best you could do is take REW measurements with ARC on and off and compare them. The results won't match the actual ARC/Genesisi graphs but you'll still see the on/off differences in the REW graphs.
Cricket-RJ likes this.

post #789 of 980 Old 11-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Thx.

Brown ARC off Blu Arc on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-12_222231.png
Views:	68
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2641234  
Cricket-RJ likes this.
post #790 of 980 Old 11-14-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3077 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Myself and others have used REW to check the results but REW gives different results than ARC2 and Genesis probably due to the differences in the UMIK-1 and ARC mics.
Aside from the mics, I'd suspect the bigger difference is that we cannot duplicate the math ARC uses to merge the multiple mic data. That's their black magic.
Legairre and Bittermidget like this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #791 of 980 Old 11-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Aside from the mics, I'd suspect the bigger difference is that we cannot duplicate the math ARC uses to merge the multiple mic data. That's their black magic.
Roger is absolutely correct.

You can confidently compare a sub measurement from one mic position using Genesis Quick Measure (ARC will be off), with a measurement from the same single mic position using REW and a UMIK. These measurements should look extremely similar unless your mic position between measurements is not within a half inch or so.

Once you measure from multiple positions and Genesis creates a solution (and a combined response graph for you to veiw), you cannot compare that to a single mic position measurement using REW. It will ALWAYS differ. I think most people realize this, but it's worth mentioning again so people don't chase their tail trying to figure out why their subwoofer channel graph in Genesis does not look like the one you see when running a sweep in REW.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
post #792 of 980 Old 11-15-2019, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Checking on ARC with ARC

Quote:
There isn't anything in that I know of in Genesis that will check the result and quick measure can't check the results because it turns ARC off.
My experience supports the general tenor of this discussion -- the difficulty of comparing ARC measurements to others, because of the particular averaging used -- but I do want to ask about the above statement. Last time I tried Quick Measure with my STR Preamp, there was some software problem, but the Quick Measure screen did have a toggle labeled "Use ARC Correction". Is this not a way to see what the ARC-corrected signal looks like at the main listening position?

(Unfortunately, ARC Genesis crashed each time I tried to toggle that.)

Mike (Portland, Oregon -- Long gone from North Carolina)

Main 2.2 system: Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classé CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.

Last edited by Mike in NC; 11-15-2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: typos
post #793 of 980 Old 11-15-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
9006 File

Hi,

Can someone send me the 9006 file for Windows 64bit.

Thank you
Bill
post #794 of 980 Old 11-15-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
My experience supports the general tenor of this discussion -- the difficulty of comparing ARC measurements to others, because of the particular averaging used -- but I do want to ask about the above statement. Last time I tried Quick Measure with my STR Preamp, there was some software problem, but the Quick Measure screen did have a toggle labeled "Use ARC Correction". Is this not a way to see what the ARC-corrected signal looks like at the main listening position?

I might be crazy, but I remember that quick measure with ARC on/off toggle was supposed to be one of Genesis feature before launching speculations.

That button is not available here...

Sent while surfing
post #795 of 980 Old 11-15-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammerr View Post
Hi,

Can someone send me the 9006 file for Windows 64bit.

Thank you
Bill
Sure, no problem. Check your PMs.

post #796 of 980 Old 11-15-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is that a feature of Genesis on the STR? That feature doesn't exist in Genesis for the MRX and AVM.

Last edited by Legairre; 11-15-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #797 of 980 Old 11-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Liked: 21
Does anyone have the Mac install for Genesis v9006 that they'd be willing to share? I'd love to try that version on my system.

Thank you!
post #798 of 980 Old 11-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyware View Post
Does anyone have the Mac install for Genesis v9006 that they'd be willing to share? I'd love to try that version on my system.
Same here. I would greatly appreciate a share of Mac install for Genesis v9006 also.

Thank you.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #799 of 980 Old 11-16-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Is "3" the default setting for room gain? Or is it "0"?
The way I understand it, there's no default, it simply measures your room, and gives you some approximation of it. Mine always comes out .5 or .625 for instance.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #800 of 980 Old 11-16-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Seems like people are still generally happy with Genesis although it still requires a bit of work to get the phasing/distance between subs and main all dialed in. Are you guys who are doing the phasing/distance before arc finding that you have to go back after the filters are applied (Filters affect phase) and having to fine-tune your prior settings or is Genesis not messing things up too terribly bad?
This doesn't answer your question, but gives some interesting perspective I think.

My workflow is always the same - do whatever, then measure. Whatever starts with running anti-mode, which I then forget about unless something obviously changes.

So, compared to my old Audyssey XT32 setup, after running Genesis I made significant bass smoothness gains by reversing phase (my only option) and playing with sub distance. The subs real-world measure at 9 ft., Audyssey measured best at 14.7 ft. and ARC liked them at 11 ft. Audyssey liked phase the opposite way, and all this with the original anti-mode setting.
beastaudio likes this.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #801 of 980 Old 11-17-2019, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
Same here. I would greatly appreciate a share of Mac install for Genesis v9006 also.
Turns out I've still got it and hadn't realised. More than happy to share.
Legairre, cargen and pixphipau like this.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #802 of 980 Old 11-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
Any chance you'd be willing to PM a link to the file? Thanks!
post #803 of 980 Old 11-19-2019, 12:58 AM

Liked: 12
Maybe it would be useful having a link for Genesis v9006 download posted here instead of sending PM to everyone…

HDTV: Panasonic TX-55FZ800E ISF Calibrated | PLAYER: Oppo UDP-203EU | SAT: Sky Q Platinum | AVR: Anthem MRX 520 | REMOTE: Logitech Harmony Elite | FRONT: Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 | CENTER: Paradigm Monitor Center 3 v7 | SURROUND: Paradigm Monitor Surround 3 v7 | SUB: SVS SB4000 + SVS SoundPath 4 | SPEAKER CABLES: Supra Classic 4.0 & 2.5 | EQ & ACOUSTIC TREATMENT: Anthem ARC & Oudimmo Acoustic Design
post #804 of 980 Old 11-19-2019, 03:50 AM

Liked: 12
Guys, I have a doubt: lets' say post ARC trim levels sit around +8/+10 and I reach reference SPL with main volume at -10. As far as you know, is there a difference of some sort if I decrease all trim levels by, let's say, 10 dB, increasing main volume at 0? Is the overall sound the same both in terms of quality and SPL?

HDTV: Panasonic TX-55FZ800E ISF Calibrated | PLAYER: Oppo UDP-203EU | SAT: Sky Q Platinum | AVR: Anthem MRX 520 | REMOTE: Logitech Harmony Elite | FRONT: Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 | CENTER: Paradigm Monitor Center 3 v7 | SURROUND: Paradigm Monitor Surround 3 v7 | SUB: SVS SB4000 + SVS SoundPath 4 | SPEAKER CABLES: Supra Classic 4.0 & 2.5 | EQ & ACOUSTIC TREATMENT: Anthem ARC & Oudimmo Acoustic Design
post #805 of 980 Old 11-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone send me 9006 for Windows?

Much appreciated.
post #806 of 980 Old 11-19-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davveD View Post
Can someone send me 9006 for Windows?

Much appreciated.
Sure pm sent.

post #807 of 980 Old 11-19-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Sure pm sent.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
post #808 of 980 Old 11-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3077 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegladiator75 View Post
Guys, I have a doubt: lets' say post ARC trim levels sit around +8/+10 and I reach reference SPL with main volume at -10. As far as you know, is there a difference of some sort if I decrease all trim levels by, let's say, 10 dB, increasing main volume at 0? Is the overall sound the same both in terms of quality and SPL?
Overall sound is the same. There is only one gain control element in the signal path.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #809 of 980 Old 11-20-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
For some reason, the PM link doesn’t work and returns a 404 not found error. I hate to be a bother, but could you double-check the URL?

Thank you.
post #810 of 980 Old 11-21-2019, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Re-sent

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc genesis , genesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page